PDA

View Full Version : OTTB Hunter/Jumper Show

LeightonFarm
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:36 PM
I posted this in the Eventer Forum. It was suggested I post it here - DUH

The Virginia Horse Center is hosting a two day Hunter/Jumper show for off track thoroughbreds. It would be great if we could make it a big hit. It's going to be a really nice affair. To find out more about it go to http://www.leightonfarm.com/news_&_events.htm

Please spread the word.

Swale01
Apr. 21, 2009, 03:29 PM
What are the fence heights for the divisions?

LeightonFarm
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
Jumpers are 2'6", 3'

Hunters are 2'3", 2'6" and 3'

There are Hunter and Jumpers Stakes where $1,000 prize money is awarded. I can't post the prize list because she sent it in a photo format. You can contact her and get it. Ann Russek, annrussva@hotmail.com

LeightonFarm
Apr. 23, 2009, 05:20 AM
I put the entire prize list on my site. I had to type it myself to get it on there. I hope it helps. http://www.leightonfarm.com/news_&_events.htm

IslandGirl
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:30 AM
That is so awesome!!! I'll DEFINITELY be there with at least two, possibly three or four. Sounds like a BLAST!

Wedonit
Apr. 23, 2009, 09:55 AM
This is a great thing and I hope it is popular and grows. If we can't come down, I would like to sponsor some prizes. :)

TooManyChickens
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:37 PM
There are a few shows going on there that weekend, will we be outdoors? (Just out of curiosity, my guy has only been indoors once!)

Also, if anyone is planning on going from the Richmond area and would like a travel buddy, let me know! Well behaved 4 year old and well behaved owner need a ride :)

Wedonit
Apr. 24, 2009, 11:29 AM
I don't represent the show at all but did correspond with one of the organizers and she said the show is in the East Complex, which is all indoors, and has its own block of stalls, so contained from any other event that weekend.

I hope everyone who is in a position to support this show does. Lexington is a wonderful facility, and the organizers are making a very special effort. I think it's an awesome idea. :)

JB
Apr. 24, 2009, 11:36 AM
Oh that is SO awesome!!! How funny (sad?) that there are now shows to showcase the TB/OTTB, when it was a novelty of years ago to have a non-TB class :lol:

Lexington is about 2 hours from me, and my OTTB is at least a year away from being able to do small shows, but I may try to come up to see some of it. I think it's wonderful that the horse's story can be shared as well - I'm sure there will be some amazing ones!

What a fantastic idea, I hope it does well!!

Wedonit
May. 13, 2009, 01:15 PM
I am not able to make the trip to this show but am sponsoring an award. I corresponded with the show and they created a "Hunter Style Award" at my request. Winner receives a triple-stitched Walsh halter with an engraved nameplate indicating the award and I will make a $100 donation in their name to an OTTB retirement facility.

I'm not posting this for a pat on the back, I'm posting it to encourage anyone who is in a position to sponsor to please contact the organizers (mentioned on this thread). Please please please. :) They were so nice to work with me to create a special award that achieved my vision. And I know they are very interested in attracting more sponsors -- no contribution is too big or too small. I am not a wealthy person -- I am a working amateur. But if I can find some dough to help, I bet others can, too.

It would be great to see this thrive in Virginia and grow in other places. I love my OTTB and he makes a wonderful hunter. I want to see even more people give horses like him a chance and this is a great venue/great outlet for doing that.

Who wants to sponsor a Jumper Style Award? Or sponsor ribbons for a division? Or a trophy? :D :D :D

Mayaty02
May. 13, 2009, 01:25 PM
what a great idea! kudos and I hope it goes well :)

chunky munky
May. 13, 2009, 01:35 PM
Though not an all TB show, The Old Dominion Horse Show in July in Manakin-Sabot, Va. is having a TB hunter division on Sunday, July 19th.

Parrothead
May. 13, 2009, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know if the horses must show with their Jockey Club/registered name? It doesn't say either way in the prize list...

Wedonit
May. 14, 2009, 09:44 AM
I don't think horses have to show with their JC names.

One of the show organizers would like to post here but is having trouble with registration/validation of her account.

She says they are working with owners to meet eligibility requirements (foal papers are not necessary). She encourages anyone with questions to contact her:

Anne Russek
annrussva@hotmail.com