PDA

View Full Version : So tell me why the WC won't be in North america in the near future again?

Paris
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:47 PM
Just got back and had a wonderful time. Would go again in a heartbeat...

but Vegas won't be hosting any time soon. The SJ seats were not full. It was a shame... but was really hoping that the WC would be in North American again soon.

Any insight?

Mozart
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
I saw all those empty seats while watching the live stream and thought "hmm not good". I am really surprised they could not fill those seats. Would it have been sold out in a different venue? I mean, if you can't lure people to Vegas to watch a sports event, where else in N.America could you get a full arena?

ESG
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
I can. :cool: It's all in the WC programme. John Q put it very nicely. it explains a lot.

"Here's the game. Only weeks ago, because of the uncertain conditions worldwide, Las Vegas Events, a semi-government, non-profit corporation with business and community responsibilities, withdrew its special bid, with its volunteered extra prize money and extraordinary contribution to the FEI project supporting the sport in smaller countries, with the hope of negotiating a "normal" bid for the 2011 and 2013 World Cup Finals of show jumping.

The FEI has subsequently announced that, with the 2010 final already assigned to Geneva, 2011 would go to Leipzig, Germany and 2013 to Gothenburg. Since we aim for only the odd years, the non-Olympics and non-World Games years, the next possibility for us is 2015. There it is, after five successful Finals at Las Vegas, heralded as perhaps the best ever, the grand run comes to an end."

Translation - We (the US and any of our representatives) are required to pay MORE than anyone else, for the same thing, when we're already subsidizing competitions in other countries as well as adding prize money when the WC competition is here. Oh, and then we get bashed for it. :rolleyes:

Politically speaking, same $h!t, different day. :dead:

I'm going to write a letter to Pat Christenson, the president of Las Vegas Events. I'm going to let him know that I applaud his decision to reject the FEI's requiring further extortion from his company in order to continue providing a damn near perfect venue and accommodation for the WC finals. Anyone who would like to join me in doing so, PM me for the contact information.

And I'm willing to bet that the riders might have something to say about where the finals are held. From what I've heard, all of them love the venue. Let's see if they are willing to kick up a fuss to keep it.

Eclectic Horseman
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:56 PM
Wow, isn't that akin to what the International Olympic Organizing Committee was doing? Well, not quite as bad, I guess. Members of that committee were being wined and dined, if not out right BRIBED, by the countries competing to host the games. :no:

Mozart
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:59 PM
Well...if I may play the Devil's Advocate....would those seats have been full if it had been in Europe? Is there a reason they want a "premium" from a N.American organizer?

Words of Wisdom
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:11 PM
Yes, had the WC been in Europe, the seats would have been full. The night classes at the big shows in Europe have full houses. From what I've heard from the riders, they love coming to Las Vegas, but don't love the actual facilities all that much, and Las Vegas isn't particularly convenient-- they can't really plan on sending the horses to other shows close by once they've gone all the way there, and there's a lot more travel involved than if the WC was somewhere in W. Europe, which means more time spent away from their business at home. When you consider that a large proportion of the competitors spend either their whole year, or at least a good portion of the spring/summer showing in W. Europe, it does make a fair amount of sense to keep the WC Final in W. Europe.
And, IMO, if Las Vegas really wanted to keep the WC there so badly, they'd be willing to accept hosting during Olympic or WEG years. Someone's gotta do it.

ESG
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:15 PM
And, IMO, if Las Vegas really wanted to keep the WC there so badly, they'd be willing to accept hosting during Olympic or WEG years. Someone's gotta do it.

It's not a question of "willing to accept" hosting in the off years - it's a question of not competing with the Olympics or WEG. Read again, please.

And, sorry, but how much more must LVE pay, to prove they want the event there? No one else has to do it - why should they? There's more prize money in LV, and because of them, more money to other WC venues, too. Until now, when, of course, they don't want to pay extra for the privilege of hosting WC. :rolleyes:

monalisa
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
I was there on Friday and the place was far from being full. Someone told me they needed to attract a certain # of visitors to break even and they were 10,000 short. That is a big gap and a lot of money to lose in a bad economy.

ESG
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:22 PM
You're quite right. That's apparently what LVE thought, too, and why they didn't offer to pad their bid enough to get the Finals again.

Words of Wisdom
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:57 PM
It's not a question of "willing to accept" hosting in the off years - it's a question of not competing with the Olympics or WEG. Read again, please.

And, sorry, but how much more must LVE pay, to prove they want the event there? No one else has to do it - why should they? There's more prize money in LV, and because of them, more money to other WC venues, too. Until now, when, of course, they don't want to pay extra for the privilege of hosting WC. :rolleyes:

I completely agree that LVE shouldn't have to pay any more to prove that they want the event.
But, you are making it sound like no one at all attends the WC final in Olympic or WEG years, which is simply not the truth. Will there maybe be a few people that choose not to attend, or who choose to bring not their top horse? Of course, but that happens every year for various reasons (such as Beezie Madden bringing Danny Boy this year, instead of Authentic or Judgement). The people who are actually there riding at the WC final do not look down on the venues that host in Olympic or WEG years as being somehow inferior-- Gothemburg, for example, has hosted in both Olympic/WEG years, as well as odd years.

siegi b.
Apr. 21, 2009, 03:24 PM
I agree with you, Words of Wisdom! Besides, as somebody else mentioned.. the three locations in Europa - Geneva, Leipzig, and Goetheburg have beautiful facilities and are much more accessible for the majority of Word Cup competitiors.

asb_own_me
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:31 PM
How do we get information on tickets for the WCs to be held in Europe these next few years? Anyone here been overseas for a previous WC, and have any suggestions/recommendations?

akrogirl
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:46 PM
Just got back and had a wonderful time. Would go again in a heartbeat...

but Vegas won't be hosting any time soon. The SJ seats were not full. It was a shame... but was really hoping that the WC would be in North American again soon.

Any insight?

I tried to switch my seat for the final because we had had some obnoxiously loud people behind us the whole event, and I was told by the box office people that all the good seats were sold out! I also saw another couple trying to get seats together. I think a lot of people just didn't show up for whatever reason.

ESG
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:20 PM
I completely agree that LVE shouldn't have to pay any more to prove that they want the event.
But, you are making it sound like no one at all attends the WC final in Olympic or WEG years, which is simply not the truth.

Do please read for comprehension. LVE doesn't want to COMPETE with the Olympics or WEG, and so doesn't bid for those years. I never said a thing about no one attending WC finals in those years.

Will there maybe be a few people that choose not to attend, or who choose to bring not their top horse? Of course, but that happens every year for various reasons (such as Beezie Madden bringing Danny Boy this year, instead of Authentic or Judgement).

Um, Danny Boy was not expected to earn a top 5 placing. Authentic was rested after the Olympics and through the winter, which was why she brought DB, who was top Young Horse at Aachen in 2008. Hardly an issue. And she did bring Judgement (and Onlight) as backups.

And of course Anky, who chose to rest Salinero and then was caught short when she qualified Painted Black, but not Salinero because of a back injury (hers).

The people who are actually there riding at the WC final do not look down on the venues that host in Olympic or WEG years as being somehow inferior-- Gothemburg, for example, has hosted in both Olympic/WEG years, as well as odd years.

Well, since I never said anything of the kind, I'm assuming you weren't responding to my post, and ignore this last. :winkgrin:

The point you seem to be missing (on purpose? :p) is that no one else except LVE gives extra prize money or financial support to the other venues. And now that they can no longer afford to do so, due to the current economic situation, the WC Finals were suddenly relocated. LVE didn't want to pay extortion money any longer, and I say more power to them.

MILOUTE55
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:27 PM
Translation - We (the US and any of our representatives) are required to pay MORE than anyone else, for the same thing, when we're already subsidizing competitions in other countries as well as adding prize money when the WC competition is here. Oh, and then we get bashed for it. :rolleyes:

this is not true, I had a long talk with a FEI official friend in Vegas this weekend... and Las Vegas just removed its application for lack of financing.... it is that simple. In fact, she told me that the organizers would have to pay a huge fine if they won the World Cup and they were not able to organize it in the end... Las Vegas is being hit very hard by the crisis and they felt it coming a while ago and wisely removed their application.

Also, I believe it is fair for European people to be able to watch the World Cup too.... It's been in Las Vegas for a while!

ESG
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'm only reporting what those in the know have printed. LVE gave extra prize money and subsidized other WC venues. LVE can no longer afford to give extra prize money and subsidize other venues. FEI suddenly yanks WC Finals from LVE, the minute they want to put in a "normal" bid, without the "padding". You figure it out. I don't have any problem putting two and two together.

Hazelnut
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:06 PM
I tried to switch my seat for the final because we had had some obnoxiously loud people behind us the whole event, and I was told by the box office people that all the good seats were sold out! I also saw another couple trying to get seats together. I think a lot of people just didn't show up for whatever reason.

scalpers bought blocks - you could get good seats for cheap from scalpers at the last minute.

ESG
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:35 PM
Also, I believe it is fair for European people to be able to watch the World Cup too.... It's been in Las Vegas for a while!

Ummm - it's in Europe every year it's not in LV. I think the Europeans have plenty of opportunity. :winkgrin:

MILOUTE55
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:22 PM
Ummm - it's in Europe every year it's not in LV. I think the Europeans have plenty of opportunity. :winkgrin:

ummmm, Europe is a continent, the US is a country... I forgot it represented half (and often more) of the world in some American people's minds.... :lol:

Pirateer
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:47 PM
What other places in the US would be good options besides LV?

NYC?
Syracuse?

Hazelnut
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:05 PM

NYC?
Syracuse?

Kentucky Horse Park?

horsegirltv
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:31 PM
to MILOUTE55 ... it's in geneva next year April 14-18, 2010.

MILOUTE55
Apr. 21, 2009, 10:17 PM
I know, I was just replying to the person who seemed to say that every other year in Europe was more than enough... you can't compare a country (US) with a continent (Europe).... Most European countries have never hosted the WC and I find it only normal that they get their chances.
Now for those of you who live on the East Coast, the trip back and forth to Europe won't be much more expensive than the one to Vegas (it won't even be such a longer flight).... and trust me there are beautiful things to see around Geneva. Don't get me wrong, I love the Nevada desert and the Vegas parties but there are other things out there....

Oh, and the food in Europe..... :yes:.... you guys should go just for that...:)

showjumpers66
Apr. 22, 2009, 12:22 AM
I actually thought that maybe the Las Vegas venue distracts from the World Cup event. People are so much more likely to spend their time and money at the World Cup if they come strictly for the horse event, but when you toss Las Vegas into the mix you have shows, shopping, attractions, gambling, partying, etc. I thought that there was a far better turn out in the past at events such as the Equine Affair in Ohio. Why not try to organize a future World Cup along with an Equine Affair at a locale such as the Kentucky Horse Park? Maybe throw in the Young Dressage, IHF, and/or IJF finals, too? This is a better deal for sponsors and vendors as there will be a larger spectator draw and it benefits the event coordinators also in that the overhead is shared.

vineyridge
Apr. 22, 2009, 12:29 AM
Maybe they should rename the event the Western European or EU Cup. The United States is almost as big in size and population as all of the countries that have hosted the cup put together. If the Cup is always held in the EU, it shouldn't claim the name World Cup. I know it was held in Kuala Lumpur once, but obviously the FEI doesn't care about global reach for its jumper program.

While Europe may be a continent, the Cup is only held in Western Europe; and people from all Western European countries have very little distance (comparatively) to travel to spectate.

ponyjumper4
Apr. 22, 2009, 12:47 AM
I hate it's not going to be in the US, but glad it will not be in Vegas. LV withdrew their bid as they needed to presell 70,000 seats and only sold 65,0000.

And she did bring Judgement (and Onlight) as backups.

You don't have backups, the horses have to be qualified. She wasn't going to be coming, but Danny Boy qualified at the last minute. Judgement has been on vacation with Authentic.

workl8
Apr. 22, 2009, 02:18 AM
Out of curiosity does anyone know how much they charge for seats in Europe for similar events? The nosebleed tickets sold from $45 to $65 per person and went up from there to $1000 per person for the VIP series. Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps the price was prohibitive?

slc2
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:07 AM
A trip to Las Vegas is prohibitively expensive for most people. Lodging is high, food is, flights are, it's just a very expensive place to go. I didn't even consider it for a second. The time issue is also a problem. You lose a lot of time coming back east, and you'd be a wreck on Monday unless you lived in California. Not everyone can take a lot of time off to go to a horse show.

I think an ideal venue would be Edinburgh, Kentucky Horse Park or Atlanta. Something centrally located a lot of people can get to with a shorter flight, with a lot of different options for lodging and food costs.

Tickets should be cheaper, the cheapest seats are double what most people could pay, kids should get cheaper seats. If you are short 5000 people from breaking even, expensive prices don't do you much good. They didn't even come close to break even. You'd be better off having a lower cost, and getting more people in. You'd have twice as many people with lower prices and a centrally located venue.

The stadium is COOL and all that, very Euro and all, but to be honest, most Americans seem to like horse shows to be outside, or at least, in a fairly informal setting where they can get closer and not look so far down, the issue is having facilities that work well in spring and handle a lot of people, which might make a stadium the only option.

Florida is not too bad, there are a lot of cheaper flights there and a variety of accomodation, but Wellington is not exactly a place middle class people go for vacay. It's expensive.

The smart thing would be to offer cheaper packages that include tickets, lodging and a flight.

ESG
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:11 AM
ummmm, Europe is a continent, the US is a country... I forgot it represented half (and often more) of the world in some American people's minds.... :lol:

And your point is?

I'm perfectly aware of what constitutes a country, and what constitutes a continent, thank you.

Okay, the 2011 & 2013 WC Finals will be held in Europe and Scandinavia, respectively. Happy now? :rolleyes:

ESG
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:16 AM
You don't have backups, the horses have to be qualified. She wasn't going to be coming, but Danny Boy qualified at the last minute. Judgement has been on vacation with Authentic.

It's possible to get more than one horse qualified. Beezie is listed in the programme as having Danny Boy, Onlight and Judgement. Many of the other riders were listed as riding more than one mount, and several did.

freestyle2music
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:04 AM
Why are you all so negative ? WorldCup finals will probably be back to North America in 2014.

Don't you think that this is an acceptable average when you take in consideration that the sport in Europe is much more populair then it is in the USA ?.

Next to this in Europe the risc of having a negative balance in organising such a competition is much smaller, because very often the cities, provinces, or national government is covering the possible negative balance.

The fact that the FEI has degraded the GrandPrix to a competition which is only held to determine the startingplaces for the big finals isn't also a very good thing for the amount of visitors at the GrandPrix

And last but not least : In Europe you can take your mobile home or caravan, drive for a couple of hours (with 5 or 8 people covering the costs) and watch the whole competition for around US$ 400,=.

Theo

siegi b.
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:44 AM
Theo, you forget the problem of the two continents.... Europe and Scandinavia! :-) :-)

ridgeback
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:46 AM
It really should be held at the KY horse park now that we have the facility.

Cooper
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:34 AM
I loved Las Vegas! That arena is perfect, there isn't a bad seat in the house. I don't think you could get the same musical quality outside. Ok, it was a bit on the LOUD side, but I still prefer it to outside.

It is also nice to have so many other non-horsey things to do. The shopping (away from Thomas & Mack) was fabulous, and so many great restaurants and shows.

My only wish would be that the warm up arena was accessible to the public. Watching 15 minutes of each rider come into the main arena doesn't count. I was also disappointed to have only two days of competition. We bought the 4 day package, and two of those days weren't even competition! That was really the only thing I thought was a a rip off. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the young horse stuff and thought the Pas de Deux was fun, but it wasn't worth $85!!!

canyonoak
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:11 AM
The double World Cup Finals--dressage and show jumping-- will be back at Las Vegas in 2014 barring unforeseen circumstances.

Robert Ridland made this announcement at the last press conference at World Cup.

MILOUTE55
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:16 AM
And your point is?

I'm perfectly aware of what constitutes a country, and what constitutes a continent, thank you.

you don't really get my point.... ok, I'll try to say it another way:

the United States = 4% of the world population
the Unites States has been organizing World Cup almost 50% of the time.... and some people seem to say here that it is unfair that the Cup is going away for a while!

You really want things to be fair? Then the US would get it 4% of the time....

canyonoak
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:27 AM
But the United States = a FAR greater percentage of the world's population that has a major interest in equestrian sport.

That said, of course Europe has had the major championships the most; it is up to the rest of the world to produce a culture and a foundation and sponsorship and general business-sport atmosphere that allows anyone to successfully put on a major competition.,

Just think back to the championships that were supposed to be in South America and also in Russia and both times, a European venue stepped in at the last moment when finances fell through in the original countries.

Dressage Art
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
Dressage is much more popular in Europe than in US. There are more people who are used to pay $ to watch dressage in Europe. (Even at the smaller shows) Here in US, the concept is still fairly new. Just look at any US dressage shows.

That brings me to the point that I wonder if some even consider? World Cup is not a US created event. US didn't work hard to nurse it to its current supper popular state and made the start up investment in creation of this event. Many other countries did for many years. US come to it when already only a name of World Cup will automatically bring $.

If US really wants to have a supper-star dressage event, US can make an investment and create its own supper-star dressage event that can potentially bring dressage mega stars from all over the world. Currently US doesn't have, didn't create so far, anything even close to World Cup in size, prize and star value. Yes, that will take lots of start up investment and will take time, but this is what other countries had to do to nurse World Cup to the current state.

If we have a venue, if we have $, if we have the support of sponsors and audience: why not create a new US dressage event in Las Vegas the size and quality of the World Cup? Some posters make it sound quite easy to do ;)

poltroon
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:48 AM
The World Cup is an indoor event, so it does need an indoor venue.

I went the very first year, and it was a really wonderful time. I would have loved to go this year, but it was not in the cards. With the financial situation as it is, I imagine many people didn't feel that this was the most important use of their money right now. It's possible they're also getting some mild competition from the WEG in Kentucky in 2010.

I am glad to hear it will be back in 2014. I will put it on my calendar. ;)

I was struck by the fact that both winners were Californians. I've been wondering if that makes it more or less likely Las Vegas will get it again... :D

MILOUTE55
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:51 AM
Amen Dressage Art :yes:

ponyjumper4
Apr. 22, 2009, 01:00 PM
It's possible to get more than one horse qualified. Beezie is listed in the programme as having Danny Boy, Onlight and Judgement. Many of the other riders were listed as riding more than one mount, and several did.

I realize that, but I know they were not coming until Danny Boy was qualified, which didn't happen until shortly before the event. Before that, they didn't have a horse qualified or at least they weren't coming as I said before, Judgement is on vacation.

petitefilly
Apr. 22, 2009, 01:53 PM
Out of curiosity does anyone know how much they charge for seats in Europe for similar events? The nosebleed tickets sold from $45 to $65 per person and went up from there to $1000 per person for the VIP series. Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps the price was prohibitive?

I would love to see all the World Cup events! But Vegas does gouge the public, with the economy the way it is many I felt could not pay the ticket prices plus spend a night or three in a high priced hotel. MHO of the lack of full seats.

Yes, the tickets are far cheaper in Europe, I have been to only two overseas and both had better ticket prices. To the tune of only $25.00 a day!!!! You figure it out. Aachen was about $33.00 a day, Brabant was only $25.00 per day; and each day was FULL of riding. All three days had dressage, all three Grand Prix rides, the Special and the GrandPrix were ridden and both venues started out with 60 riders. SIXTY. Here we only saw 15 riders, and frankly the day with the young horse rides and the pas du deux was a filler day. I was pissed there was no Special. WTF??? Plus the day they have warmup is a frigging joke. You can watch horses ride a warm up for free in Europe. AT $75.00 per day I have had it with the prices.

Oh, well, sour grapes I suppose, but I'll be happy to go back to Europe myself after this Vegas show. I can get a flight for about the same price from the East Coast, and the hotels cost less most of the time. Vegas is Been-There_Done-That for me. I am thinking all the powers that be are saying the same thing. :(

If you would get a venue that was less expensive, show us three days of MANY rides, and then accent the top 15 for two days it would be a much better World Cup in the USA. We ought to combine the Young Rider competition, a USA *championship* of some kind, and top it off with the WC. We would be far better off. JMHO :)

Mardi
Apr. 22, 2009, 02:01 PM
that would be a great place to have it, when the WC comes back to the US (which it will, someday)..

If KHP can have the WEG, it can certainly host the World Cup.

Have to say I find this thread very interesting.. a few days ago on another thread I mentioned that the WC was not returning to LV. I was soundly thrashed for even imagining such a thing. :)

SGray
Apr. 22, 2009, 02:26 PM
The World Cup is an indoor event, so it does need an indoor venue.....

feel free to bring it to Reliant Stadium in Houston ;)

the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is held there each spring so they know how to deal with equines (and bovines, caprines, ovines,......)

ESG
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:06 PM
you don't really get my point.... ok, I'll try to say it another way:

the United States = 4% of the world population
the Unites States has been organizing World Cup almost 50% of the time.... and some people seem to say here that it is unfair that the Cup is going away for a while!

You really want things to be fair? Then the US would get it 4% of the time....

Well, as I understand it, the US has been paying, far more than any other venue, for the "privilege" of hosting WC Finals. They've (LVE) even gone so far as to subsidize other venues, in the interest of keeping WC alive. But I guess, if they're not bleeding, it's not enough for either you, or the WC committee or the FEI. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your stay in Wonderland. :p

ESG
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:08 PM
I realize that, but I know they were not coming until Danny Boy was qualified, which didn't happen until shortly before the event. Before that, they didn't have a horse qualified or at least they weren't coming as I said before, Judgement is on vacation.

Must not have been much of a vacation for Judgement, since both he and Onlight were qualified.

But don't let any little old facts get in the way of your fantasy, okay? :D

Coreene
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:31 PM
And now I am reminded why I love the Ignore function.

eks
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:49 PM
I was also disappointed to have only two days of competition. We bought the 4 day package, and two of those days weren't even competition! That was really the only thing I thought was a a rip off. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the young horse stuff and thought the Pas de Deux was fun, but it wasn't worth $85!!!

I went to Las Vegas to watch the WC and I was confused about that too...I thought there was supposed to be dressage competition on Friday not just exhibitions...I live in Florida and arrived on Wednesday night, so to fly all that way and pay all that money to see about 4 hours of dressage was a bit disappointing.

I think Toronto or maybe Miami would be neat places to host the WC...not sure if Miami would be too hot..but it is a lot easier to get to from Europe and there are tons of things to do. The Thomas & Mack center was beautiful, but it would be better to have an arena that has some space for the horses to warm up around the outside of the dressage ring. And talk about tight for the show jumpers!!

MHM
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:08 AM

NYC?
Syracuse?

NYC is a logistical nightmare for horses, believe me. Getting the rigs, horses and equipment in and out was awful, both at the Garden and Pier 57.

Syracuse could probably work, though it's not exactly a bustling hot spot. The big show in the fall is well run and well attended, and some top jumper riders go there every year, from both North America and Europe. The show ring and the schooling ring have plenty of space. Would it draw a big crowd for the World Cup? Hard to say.

When I went to the World Cup in Gothenburg some years ago, it was JAMMED with people. I mean wall-to-wall, standing room only, floor to rafter people, watching and cheering and really into it. That was for just jumpers, no dressage.

I haven't seen him with my own eyes, but it was reported that Judgement stayed at the farm in New York this winter. I think John Madden even said that in his excellent Chronicle column about conserving your horses.

Cooper
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:40 AM
I went to Las Vegas to watch the WC and I was confused about that too...I thought there was supposed to be dressage competition on Friday not just exhibitions...I live in Florida and arrived on Wednesday night, so to fly all that way and pay all that money to see about 4 hours of dressage was a bit disappointing.

OK, I am glad I wasn't the only one who was surprised there was no competition on Friday. After the young horse/Pas de deux stuff I was just settling into my seat to watch some great riding, and the announcer says "See you all on Saturday!" and I was like HUH??????

lauriep
Apr. 23, 2009, 07:02 AM
Must not have been much of a vacation for Judgement, since both he and Onlight were qualified.

But don't let any little old facts get in the way of your fantasy, okay? :D

Judgement spent the winter in Cazenovia. He didn't go to a WC qualifier this winter. That is a fact. If he had any points, they must have come from last fall. Qualified or not, he was most certainly not in competitive condition.

Mozart
Apr. 23, 2009, 10:10 AM
TORONTO TORONTO TORONTO! :D

Or....CALGARY CALGARY CALGARY

Words of Wisdom
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:53 PM
ESG-- just wondering, but have you been to any of the big indoor shows in Europe? I've personally never been to Las Vegas, but from my experiences in Europe, and from what I've heard from the riders who have been to Las Vegas, it just doesn't stack up, really. If LVE needs to pay the FEI to have the WC in Las Vegas, well, then, I think there must be a good reason for it. LVE alone is not "keeping the WC alive."

Arizona DQ
Apr. 23, 2009, 01:05 PM
I do not know how people can complain about hotel prices in LV. No one was forced to stay at the Luxor, Ventian, etc. heck there is a Motel 6 right by the airport! We stayed at the Southpoint for $100 per day. :yes:

I also think an indoor arena is a lot better than risk the ever questionable weather (either in the US or Europe).

If people did not know that Friday was not competition why did they not check the schedule posted on the WC website? Come on. Geesh!

I can certainly understand the argument about holding the WC on the east coast, but come on guys :no: Give us west coast people a chance, once in a while, to have something of this caliber closer by...;)

2014 would be fine for the next time in LV! All you east coast guys can fly to Europe in the mean time..:winkgrin:

tm
Apr. 23, 2009, 01:20 PM
World Cup requires it to be in covered arena. Maybe because of the time of year it is held. Of course, now that Del Mar has finished its roof and turned its main arena into an indoor (being used for the first time this week!), perhaps it's a viable World Cup venue again.

As for the hotels near the airport in Las Vegas, I can tell you from personal experience that the phrase "airport hotel" here means, "if you open the window the planes will fly through your room." :D

Dressage Art
Apr. 23, 2009, 06:53 PM
One time we ended up staying in the $100 hotel in Las Vegas and it was horrible: drunks everywhere, banging headboards on walls all night long, noise from highway and from the planes was super loud, no shuttle service, our sheets were questionable clean with some faded out spots, concierge service was terrible... never again... some times it's not worth it to save money on some things.

However, Las Vegas hotels are much cheaper than California’s hotels ;)

Pirateer
Apr. 23, 2009, 07:47 PM
The double World Cup Finals--dressage and show jumping-- will be back at Las Vegas in 2014 barring unforeseen circumstances.

Halle-freakin-llujah!

I'll be there in the fancy seats!

Joanne
Apr. 23, 2009, 09:42 PM
It's not a definite return to Vegas.

"FEI First Vice-President, Sven Holmberg, said "it's really not good for world events to be held too often in Europe" and then Las Vegas World Cup Show Jumping Manager Robert Ridland announced a strong bid to bring the 2014 Finals back to the U.S. city which has injected such energy, showmanship and excitement into the series which has become so popular over the last 31 years.

"This show is too good to give it up," he pointed out. No one disagrees about that, and Holmberg added that the U.S. 2014 bid would be "very well received."

poltroon
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:15 AM
f people did not know that Friday was not competition why did they not check the schedule posted on the WC website? Come on. Geesh!

I would say that whether intentional or unintentional, that the schedule does not do a good job of making clear which sessions will have the World Cup horses and riders and which sessions do not. You have to dig a little to realize, for example, that the Grand Prix of Las Vegas won't have Meredith and Shutterfly competing.

SBrentnall
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:07 AM
Maybe they should rename the event the Western European or EU Cup. The United States is almost as big in size and population as all of the countries that have hosted the cup put together.

Yes, but in terms of dressage or show jumping population per capita, the numbers are much more in Europe's favor. Besides, just like the Olympics, the venue should rotate among ALL countries who participate, not just the big ones.

Btw, by your reasoning, maybe the US should consider renaming the World Series? ;)

fiona
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:31 AM
subsidizing competitions in other countries

Can you give me some detail on that? Which venues? and how much? why do they do that? in cash? sponsorship? how does that work? developing nations in the sport or what?

ESG
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:09 PM
I called Pat Christenson, president of Las Vegas Events. He returned my call today. I won't be able to get hold of him until next week, but when I do, I'll report all that I find out.

Stay tuned. :cool:

fiona
Apr. 25, 2009, 12:20 PM
Great, that would be very interesting. thanks

horsecents
Apr. 25, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm surprised by the free Livestream of the World Cup. Rolex is charging 12.99 for 4 days of livestream along with playback on demand. Even though free is great, charging a nominal fee might help defray expenses and possibly lower ticket prices.

MEP
Apr. 25, 2009, 05:22 PM
Can you give me some detail on that? Which venues? and how much? why do they do that? in cash? sponsorship? how does that work? developing nations in the sport or what?

I can't say for sure, but I would suspect that there was some subsidizing for the finals held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (in 2006?).

asb_own_me
Apr. 26, 2009, 03:13 PM
Does anyone know where I can get official scheduling and ticketing information for the next two or three World Cups?

Mickey the Marcher
May. 7, 2009, 08:22 AM
I called Pat Christenson, president of Las Vegas Events. He returned my call today. I won't be able to get hold of him until next week, but when I do, I'll report all that I find out.

Stay tuned. :cool:

Great, that would be very interesting. thanks

bump.