PDA

View Full Version : Aunt Esther's WC Fashion/Shopping Thread

claire
Apr. 21, 2009, 11:04 AM
So, before COTH closes the WC forum, let's hear the dish about fashion and shopping and bling and bargains from all you lucky people who were there! :cool:

ButterflyIris
Apr. 21, 2009, 11:47 AM
I bought a Back on Track/thin line saddle pad.... (free shipping)
And a WC polo shirt from Mary's...
Seriously nothing exciting.

Unfortunately they had a vendor there selling all kinds of fur coats and I found that to be a major turn-off. I typically won't support any retail estabilishment or vendor area that sells fur. I wish the vendor coordinator had nixed the fur person, but I think maybe there wasn't as much retail there as in years before. Am I wrong on that?

claire
Apr. 21, 2009, 11:58 AM
So, fewer vendors as in past years? Or the shopping was just not so?

I am going to Rolex-3Day this weekend and am wondering if the shopping will be as great as in years past.
I know my favorite food vendor (Crab-cakes Mmmm! :cool: ) is not going to be there this year... Sign of the times?

So, Haazan gets the Blingiest Dressed award? Who makes Aunt Esthers Best/Worst Dressed list?

And, is it just me (watching online), or is Steffen looking very buffed up these days? ;)

Arizona DQ
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:12 PM
This was my first trip to the WC and I was in awe of all the stuff for sale! The jewelry was wonderful and I bought a really pretty silver horse head brooch and also a gorgeous horse head necklace (looks just like my mare). The Cool medics stand was really busy all the time but I did manage to get a vest and also helmet insert. :D

I do not understand the post about the fur coats, other than they seemed out of place in a horse venue and especially when we are moving into summer....., but oh well.....;)

We also went to the Arabian breeders WC and did even more shopping there (lots of bling!).

I am now putting my c cards away for the rest of the year.....:lol:

Gunnar
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:21 PM
I too was offended by the fur coats. I will admit I did touch a few! I told the woman that if I wore one of those in California I might get shot. Her reply was that she sells plenty of furs to California. I am from NORCAL and in general you do not see fur coats here:eek::( I bought a couple cute bracelets (very unlike me!), a few tee shirts types and some GL 5500 supplement ( hope it worlks! :cool:)

Had to avoid the shopping area most days to prevent further carnage! :sadsmile:

Canadian Starz
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:13 PM
Looked at Hermes Saddles, and the assortment of BLING & coloured riding boots etc. etc. (Was very happy my Grandaughter was not along in shopping mode!) Picked up a few more pieces of Bling Jewelry and T shirts etc. for the gang back home. But basically kept the spending in check this time! :yes:

HOWEVER......My one piece of Family Jewelery kept sending the Security Alarm off at the Airports...:eek::eek: SO....twice had to endure "ye Ole Patdown, and be put into the ole plastic Gerbil type plastic room on HOLD till a Female Customs Guard could check out the situation!):yes: THEN.....because of the hold-up, plus the Airlines overbooking flights.....got to spend 10 hours waiting with my buddy for the next red-eye flight home! :)
(Was seriously hoping I did not end up in one of those "orange suits", as they seriously clash with my blue eyes!)

Jenn2674
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:36 PM
I don't wear fur myself, just don't like the look, it does seem to be a little hypocritical to condemn fur use when 99.9% of us here use lots and lots of leather. Unless of course it is from an endangered or threatened species, but then that is illegal in the US anyway.

Eclectic Horseman
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:37 PM
I thought immediately upon seeing Don Charly enter the ring how fabulous he looked in his brown tack. Clearly no slave to fashion there!

(Unless brown tack is the rage in Sweden....)

Donella
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too was offended by the fur coats. I will admit I did touch a few! I told the woman that if I wore one of those in California I might get shot. Her reply was that she sells plenty of furs to California. I am from NORCAL and in general you do not see fur coats here I bought a couple cute bracelets (very unlike me!), a few tee shirts types and some GL 5500 supplement ( hope it worlks! )

I was looking at them too and then the woman came over and asked if we wanted to try it on. Mom said "NO THANKS" and the woman asked why so mom told her flat out that the only thing she can think about when looking at them is how many animals had to suffer to contribute to such a thing. The woman went on some rant about fur coats being "green" and how we wouldn't be alive if cave men didnt wear fur. Ok lady.

And no, fur is not the same as leather. Animals are raised, suffer and die FOR fur, for fashion. No other reason. Leather is a byproduct of the meat industry (one that I do not personally support). I thought it was offensive to have fur coats on display at a venue where the amazing bond between animal and human is the entire focus.

I also LOVED the brown tack on Don Charly, very tasteful and unique!

Arizona DQ
Apr. 21, 2009, 03:24 PM
I don't wear fur myself, just don't like the look, it does seem to be a little hypocritical to condemn fur use when 99.9% of us here use lots and lots of leather. Unless of course it is from an endangered or threatened species, but then that is illegal in the US anyway.

Absolutely, it is hypocritical! We raise cattle for food and then use the hides for leather. So what the heck is the difference to raise animals humanely for fur??? :no:

I do not wear fur because I do not look good in most of it and I live in the desert heat! But I sure am not going to deny anyone else the opportunity to do so if they wish! Anything less is to play right into the hands of the ARs. Geesh! :mad:

Get real people!

kkj
Apr. 21, 2009, 03:26 PM
I stayed away from the fur. Not my cup of tea. I am not much of a jewelry person but there was some beautiful stuff. I liked the vintage belts, the In the Stirrup Arista clothing- spent a lot there and Goode Rider ended the show with everything 1/2 off so some great deals. I also liked the Latigo breeches. I had been wanting to try those on- very comfortable. The mosaic tile guys were there again. Their stuff is so beautiful and they are so entertaining to talk to. I enjoyed the KWPN booth. KWPN is getting very good at marketing and it was cool to see such a disproportionate representation of Dutch horses.

I think the official FEI merchandise was totally hideous as it has been in the past. Not good quality, bad cut and the logo is just plain cheesy and ugly. There is so much potential there but at every Vegas World Cup they have fallen so far short. Would it kill them to make up a cool horse logo instead of just the FEI ugly writing?

Darden
Apr. 21, 2009, 03:29 PM
Liked the one booth with all the vegas logos - I bought a top with a horses jumping over a some cards. Very nice. Also bought a hand made bit for my jumper at the Arabian show at our hotel. Loved teh bit the best!!!!

Aunt Esther
Apr. 21, 2009, 04:07 PM
Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, thanks Claire for starting this thread and points out that said thread is called Aunt Esther's WC Fashon/Shopping Thread. Aunt Esther does not see a thread regarding one's opionion regarding wearing fur.

Aunt Esther was delighted with the shopping and came home with two new Hermes pads! Now, to be fair, Aunt Esther did realize Coreene, another member of this fine internet bulletin board, was eyeing the quilted orange Hermes pad, but all it took was one "Coreene, what a jolly attractive gentleman over there" and Coreene looked away long enough for Aunt Esther to make the purchase. Aunt Esther understands that Coreene is perhaps put out about this, and points out to Coreene - if she is reading this thread - that Aunt Esther has taken Coreene to many, many places she'd otherwise never have dreamed of going to, and therefore Aunt Esther was the deserved recipient of said pads.

Aunt Esther loved the Hermes vests and came home with several. Six actually. She also loaded up on delightful Anky clothing and ordered several pairs of custom paddock boots. And several bracelets. Earrings. Necklaces. Rings.

Aunt Esther was simply taken aback at the amount of sparkles provided by Mrs Haazen! However, Aunt Esther has somewhat softened her stand on bling and understands that if one feels to compelled to Go Bling in a big way, one must cave to one's inner forces.

But most of all, Aunt Esther liked the purses. ;)

asb_own_me
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:27 PM
There were fewer vendors this year, but I did walk away happy ;). New field boots, new Fleeceworks royal hunter/supreme hunter (whatever it's called!) pad and baby pad, several pair of cute boot socks and a lovely pair of tan gloves that coordinate beautifully with my new custom hunt coat. A really neat jacket that's wind/water/everything-proof and the contact names and numbers to have my lovely Eurofit custom jods remade...since my youngest Doberman ate the right leg of my old ones this winter :no: A really cute horse head pendant from Jane Heart for our little neighbor girl who helps her parent with our "horse chores" while we're gone! Possibly those rubbery paver brick thingys for our barn's aisleway. A couple extra halters, those nice ones with the fleece on the nose and crown, that come with the lead ropes? Love those. Ooooh - I almost forgot! A 120cm "motivational reminder" for the lazy 4 y/o :D Absolutely the most useful thing I brought home!

The Forum Shops are a whole 'nother problem for me. Max Azaria and Donald J. Pliner were very happy for my LV visit, and the CC company will be too.

Regarding fur - I also don't see the difference, as Arizona DQ pointed out, of raising animals for food/leather/meat. Each product is a saleable commodity, any way you slice it. Slice pun intended.

Haazan had a fantastic amount of bling, and pink bling on Wednesday. Wowza. Don Charly looked fab in the brown tack...definitely loved that.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:31 PM
Aunt Esther - an innocent query, really. Do you like orange because you are of Dutch origin? Or as a warning to hunters during deer season?

And does Hermes make a glow-in-the-dark pad with skulls and crossbones? because if so, I'm wiring Coreene some money and begging her to purchase it for me.

Peggy
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:54 PM
It was fun to talk to vendors (tho I don't think the GLC rep appreciated the chemistry quiz that I gave her:D) and to see and touch stuff that I'd seen pictures of in magazines and catalogues or had never even seen in any form. Mosaic guys were fun to talk to. Star now has a new saddle pad embroidered with "Got Carrot?" and a picture of said vegetable, along with new Equifit boots. I have a new riding outfit consisting of one of the aforementioned 50% off Goode Rider shirts and Kerritts breeches made partially of bamboo, or some such sustainable item. The Italian bracelet women were there and I have a new link.

I don't ride dressage but those Latigo full seat breeches look nice. Not only does the full leather seat part stretch due to being fused to lycra (?) but the fabric repels stuff spilled on it. My dressage companions snapped up a few pairs of those, along with an assortment of Arista clothing (owner of that reportedly selling the company, or trying to).

Aunt Esther
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:20 PM
Aunt Esther - an innocent query, really. Do you like orange because you are of Dutch origin? Or as a warning to hunters during deer season?

And does Hermes make a glow-in-the-dark pad with skulls and crossbones? because if so, I'm wiring Coreene some money and begging her to purchase it for me.Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, would have responded sooner to DGRH's post, but sadly Aunt Esther fainted when she read DGRH's query as to whether Aunt Esther was of Dutch origin.

Aunt Esther is very thin, very rich, very attractive and is Belgian.

Then, when Aunt Esther came to, she read about glow in the dark and fainted again.

Aunt Esther enjoys her orange Hermes pad because it is Hermes Orange. For DGRH to even ask such a think just shows that DGRH is of a completely different Shopping Persuasion than Aunt Esther.

Aunt Esther loved Las Vegas. She particularly enjoyed time spent drinking with Akrogirl, MEP, canyonoak and lurker Norman's Mom. Aunt Esther wishes she had also seen Peggy, SaddleFitterVA and Hazelnut. Coreene she is so-so about.

Pirateer
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:30 PM
The Forum Shops are a whole 'nother problem for me. Max Azaria and Donald J. Pliner were very happy for my LV visit, and the CC company will be too.

I think next time I will select you as my shopping buddy :)

asb_own_me
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:47 PM
I don't recommend it. I have four letters for you - D E B T. However, I will look FABULOUS while paying off that debt. The Pliner cowboy boots are divine ;)

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:49 PM
A For DGRH to even ask such a think just shows that DGRH is of a completely different Shopping Persuasion than Aunt Esther.

....Coreene she is so-so about.

The first is absolutely true.

The second...well, I know that Coreene would appreciate the dashing figure Ted and I would make wearing matching glow in the dark skull and crossbones. So really, she could not be that bad.

Hazelnut
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:25 PM
Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, would have responded sooner to DGRH's post, but sadly Aunt Esther fainted when she read DGRH's query as to whether Aunt Esther was of Dutch origin.

Aunt Esther is very thin, very rich, very attractive and is Belgian.

Then, when Aunt Esther came to, she read about glow in the dark and fainted again.

Aunt Esther enjoys her orange Hermes pad because it is Hermes Orange. For DGRH to even ask such a think just shows that DGRH is of a completely different Shopping Persuasion than Aunt Esther.

Aunt Esther loved Las Vegas. She particularly enjoyed time spent drinking with Akrogirl, MEP, canyonoak and lurker Norman's Mom. Aunt Esther wishes she had also seen Peggy, SaddleFitterVA and Hazelnut. Coreene she is so-so about.

Aunt Esther, thank you for the kind mention. I would like to have met both you and Coreene. You might be afraid to be seen with the likes of me...not a very stylish dresser here. You may feel the urge to rush me out for a makeover!:)

But I was thrilled to get a kerrits vest and matching jacket that make me look quite nice in breeches (tried them today.) :cool:

Donella
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:26 PM
Ok, I get that this isn't a thread about fur vs leather, and that many of you do not see the difference. I don't want to get into a huge thing about it but there is one fundamental difference .... cows are not killed for their leather, cows are killed for meat. That is their primary purpose. Leather is a byproduct. If everyone stopped buying leather, the same # of cows would still be killed. Buying leather does not affect drive the cattle industry. Meat sales do. If nobody bought fur, the fox, mink ect would not be killed because they are killed for their fur and only for their fur. Leghold traps, which are abhorantly cruel, are still a primary means of harvesting fur. Hardly humane.

I don't myself eat meat, but I still think that nutrition/food is a better excuse to kill something than vanity is. Maybe that's just me though.

Thats all I will say about that.

PaulaM
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:45 PM
OK, I am shocked, I came home with money in my pocket. LOL, I liked the Latigo breeches, unfortunately by the time I heard about them, they were out of my size.

I did purchase a saddle pad from Schleese (go figure, i live in Canada and found the perfect saddle pad in Vegas that is made in Canada and sold by a Canadian Company)

I also purchased the Profesional's Choice Leather Protection Boots in white, they threw in a grooming tote and ballistic bell boots too (bell boots are chocolate in colour)

I purchased 2 beautiful silver necklaces one from Caracol and the other from Jane Heart. I also purchased a little carved jade horse from Ronald Ravan Designs.

I also purchased a couple t-shirts, travel mugs and key chains from the Merchandise booths as well.

But I do have to say I was a bit disappointed in the shopping this time, there just didn't seem to be the selection there was in the past, although I did find that the majority of vendors were fantastic.

Peggy
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:53 PM
Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, would have responded sooner to DGRH's post, but sadly Aunt Esther fainted when she read DGRH's query as to whether Aunt Esther was of Dutch origin.
<snip>
Aunt Esther loved Las Vegas. She particularly enjoyed time spent drinking with Akrogirl, MEP, canyonoak and lurker Norman's Mom. Aunt Esther wishes she had also seen Peggy, SaddleFitterVA and Hazelnut. Coreene she is so-so about.And Peggy would have loved to meet Aunt Esther. Perhaps another time.

freestyle2music
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:53 AM
Was Aunt Esther the one who called me during the break at the GrandPrix in Vegas and ask me how everything was going in the competition arena :D

Theo

Aunt Esther
Apr. 22, 2009, 03:33 PM
Was Aunt Esther the one who called me during the break at the GrandPrix in Vegas and ask me how everything was going in the competition arena :D

TheoAunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, confirms to Theo that it was Aunt Esther calling during the break. Aunt Esther had been waylaid at Dior shop in the Wynn and sadly missed the first half of the Grand Prix.

Aunt Esther was disappointed not to see the ride of Marco Bernal. Aunt Esther has always had a Hot Thing for men of the Latin persuasion, and she finds Mr Bernal's mare to be a little doll. Aunt Esther became positively verklempt when Mr Bernal pulled out the Colombian flag at the end of his delightful freestyle. To Aunt Esther, Mr Bernal embodies the true spirit of Baron de Coubertin's quote "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.” Why, Aunt Esther becomes misty-eyed merely thinking of how the dear man touched the hearts of everyone at Thomas and Mack that night.

Aunt Esther was not, of course, surprised by the mishaps. They reminded Aunt Esther of one of her other favorite quotes, "Son, your ego is writing checks that your body can't cash!" Aunt Esther is sure that Akrogirl, Theo, Peggy, Hazelnut and MEP will know of what Aunt Esther speaks. ;)

WombatCA
Apr. 22, 2009, 04:02 PM
Overall I really enjoyed the vendors at the WC, and I bought a few posters and one piece of real art.
However, on the last day of the event, I had an experience that still really bugs me.
One of the vendors had a rack of sale shirts and saddle pads in the front of the booth. They had a really nice saddle pad that was lime green with blue trim. I pulled it off the rack and then started looking at the shirts (there was a greater discount if you bought one pad and two shirts at the same time). They had a matching shirt but it was in a size medium (which I am definitely not... I'm a fluffy rider and am trying to slim down, I thought a shirt like that might be a good goal reward).
I turned to one of the sales ladies and asked if she had the shirt in a larger size. She looked me up and down and said "not that would fit you." I pointed out that I hadn't said I was buying it for me, and she got flustered and said "well, the shirt doesn't fit very well anyway." Great salesmanship, huh?
So as I was standing there feeling shocked and offended, the other sales lady walks over and takes the saddle pad out of my hand. I gave her a questioning look and she pointed at another customer who was checking out. To her credit, the customer was very nice and kept saying "I put it back, she can have it if she wants it." The saleslady just said "no," with no explanation to me and walked over and started ringing the pad up for the other lady.
At that point I was in total shock and just walked away. I didn't have the energy to even speak up for myself.
I wish I could be sure I have the name of the company right so that I could post it here, but I was so upset I didn't really remember it. I would hate to post the wrong name, so I won't post anything... but it feels better to have at least written about it.

Coreene
Apr. 22, 2009, 04:19 PM
I know exactly who you are talking about. Unspeakably rude to behave like that. Who the #$*% do they think they are?

RunningwaterWBs
Apr. 22, 2009, 05:08 PM
Wombat, that's awful! :eek:

Aunt Esther, I've long wanted to ask you your opinion on something and now that the subject of orange -- especially regarding the Dutch -- has been raised, now seems the opportune time.

I was wondering Aunt Esther's thoughts upon seeing Salinero in orange bell boots at the Olympic ceremony in Hong Kong this past summer. I think it was sets of four orange bell boots on each Dutch horse. Is this appropriate, Aunt Esther? Or is it a fashion faux pas?

MelantheLLC
Apr. 22, 2009, 05:17 PM
And does Hermes make a glow-in-the-dark pad with skulls and crossbones? because if so, I'm wiring Coreene some money and begging her to purchase it for me.

Yes! A simple black skull and crossbones on a white pad with black piping would be so hysterical.

I think the horse must be black.

Please, someone do this.

Arizona DQ
Apr. 22, 2009, 05:24 PM
Overall I really enjoyed the vendors at the WC, and I bought a few posters and one piece of real art.
However, on the last day of the event, I had an experience that still really bugs me.
One of the vendors had a rack of sale shirts and saddle pads in the front of the booth. They had a really nice saddle pad that was lime green with blue trim. I pulled it off the rack and then started looking at the shirts (there was a greater discount if you bought one pad and two shirts at the same time). They had a matching shirt but it was in a size medium (which I am definitely not... I'm a fluffy rider and am trying to slim down, I thought a shirt like that might be a good goal reward).
I turned to one of the sales ladies and asked if she had the shirt in a larger size. She looked me up and down and said "not that would fit you." I pointed out that I hadn't said I was buying it for me, and she got flustered and said "well, the shirt doesn't fit very well anyway." Great salesmanship, huh?
So as I was standing there feeling shocked and offended, the other sales lady walks over and takes the saddle pad out of my hand. I gave her a questioning look and she pointed at another customer who was checking out. To her credit, the customer was very nice and kept saying "I put it back, she can have it if she wants it." The saleslady just said "no," with no explanation to me and walked over and started ringing the pad up for the other lady.
At that point I was in total shock and just walked away. I didn't have the energy to even speak up for myself.
I wish I could be sure I have the name of the company right so that I could post it here, but I was so upset I didn't really remember it. I would hate to post the wrong name, so I won't post anything... but it feels better to have at least written about it.

How rude and awful! I know which saddle pad you are talking about as I was looking at it too! :winkgrin: Good grief, that the other sales woman (can't call her a Sales LADY as she was No LADY!) took the pad out of your hands is just terrible! :mad: I wish I had kept my Gift Show Diagram as I am sure I could tell you exactly which vendor it was.... :no:

kkj
Apr. 22, 2009, 06:07 PM
I'm not going to say the name, but I know what booth that was. The sale lady is right- the cut of those shirts is not very flattering on very many people- even tall skinny people. You are better off without that stuff. so pastel and so something you would buy because it was on sale and then get home and look in the mirror and think, "yeah maybe not".

Arizona DQ
Apr. 22, 2009, 06:14 PM
But there was no reason to be rude, much less take the saddle pad away from the OP in that manner...... I would never give them any of my business in person or on line if that is the way they treat potential customers.:mad:

kkj
Apr. 22, 2009, 06:26 PM
No of course there is no reason to be rude. I just wanted to let her know it is not like she is missing out in not buying something from them.

Aunt Esther
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:37 PM
Aunt Esther, I've long wanted to ask you your opinion on something and now that the subject of orange -- especially regarding the Dutch -- has been raised, now seems the opportune time.

I was wondering Aunt Esther's thoughts upon seeing Salinero in orange bell boots at the Olympic ceremony in Hong Kong this past summer. I think it was sets of four orange bell boots on each Dutch horse. Is this appropriate, Aunt Esther? Or is it a fashion faux pas?Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, is happy to share with Hansiska that Aunt Esther was indeed mortified at the sight of the orange bell boots in Hong Kong.

Aunt Esther said to Sjef, "My dear, one's eyes are practically bleeding. Is this a new addition to the Anky line? It is simply too gymkhana for words."

Sjef and Aunt Esther have long been friends, of course, since Aunt Esther knows everyone, which is why Sjef laughed and said how charming Aunt Esther was.

Aunt Esther already knows this, and therefore decided to be a Very Good Sport and also pretend it was a joke.

But deep down inside, Aunt Esther was simply mortified. Aunt Esther only uses Classic Equine no-turn bell boots. She was introduced to this brand last year, when Aunt Esther was enjoying a torrid affair with tall, strapping Texas cowboy hunk. Aunt Esther learned the true meaning of Western Pleasure while spending several weeks learning how to ride Working Cowhorse and Cutting with her sister Aunt Edith, who still requires Shapely breeches. Auint Esther only learns from the top professionals, hence going to Texas, a place which she would otherwise never go to in her wildest dreams.

RunningwaterWBs
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:58 PM
Aunt Esther! A scandalous response, indeed! But entirely fitting, given the fashion cringe created by said orange bell boots. Thank-you for redefining Western Pleasure for me.

freestyle2music
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:12 PM
Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, is happy to share with Hansiska that Aunt Esther was indeed mortified at the sight of the orange bell boots in Hong Kong.

Aunt Esther said to Sjef, "My dear, one's eyes are practically bleeding. Is this a new addition to the Anky line? It is simply too gymkhana for words."

Sjef and Aunt Esther have long been friends, of course, since Aunt Esther knows everyone, which is why Sjef laughed and said how charming Aunt Esther was.

At least Aunt Ester knew where to find Sjef at HongKong :D
That's more than Anky can say ;)

So we might have solved the biggest mysterie of the HongKong Soap .

WHERE WAS SJEF ?

MEP
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:45 PM
MEP is sorry to report that she did not indulge in any purchases this WC. (NONE). Despite some lovely jewelry at Bennett's, Caracol, and Jane Heart, some lovely stock ties at Equi-Logic, and the fine browbands at People on Horses, she exercised extreme self-control and refrained from reviving the US economy in one weekend!

For those who were not there at the warm-ups, here is a photo of Minna Telde's lovely outfit on Don Charly (especially note the fine pair of BROWN boots that matched all the tack).

http://www.moranequinephoto.com/gallery/7956147_vi2cu/2/516581137_vpDM8/Large

And here is Jeanette Haazen's fun pink bling outfit:

http://www.moranequinephoto.com/gallery/7956147_vi2cu/2/516581069_Yxk4y/Large

MEP is further pleased to report that Aunt Esther was gracious enough to respond on MEP's blog regarding the schooling outfits described above. MEP just caught a glimpse of Aunt Esther at the Hermes booth (A.E. was dressed in the Hermes orange vest, with a sweater fashionable draped over her shoulders) and MEP can report (as told by Coreene) that A.E. is "... one skinny b****!" In high society of course, one can never be too rich or too thin.

claire
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:12 PM
For those who were not there at the warm-ups, here is a photo of Minna Telde's lovely outfit on Don Charly (especially note the fine pair of BROWN boots that matched all the tack).
http://www.moranequinephoto.com/gallery/7956147_vi2cu/2/516581137_vpDM8/Large

MEP, Lovely photos! Thanks for posting.
I love Don Charly ( I have a soft spot for flashy chestnuts! :winkgrin: )

I didn't notice the brown tack on the video, but it is so much nicer on a chestnut than the usual "Dressage Black"?

What would Aunt Esther's opinion be on brown tack for Dressage? Or would she think it too HP? :lol:

claire
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:34 PM
Aunt Esther, Thank you for taking the time to share all of your exciting adventures! So interesting to hear of your foray into the Western riding world!

Quite the coincedence, while you were outwitting Coreene at the Hermes display :lol: I was shopping at a lovely little Hermes store in Ohio!

They have the prettiest enamel cloisonne braclets...I was hoping they had a cloisonne stock pin...but no luck. :no: Perhaps in Paris?

Anyway, I thought you might appreciate.
http://usa.hermes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10202&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&categoryId=10769&leftCategoryId=10769&topCategoryId=10702&parentCategoryId=10769&nbItem=1

Also, have you seen their leather necklaces? A nice accessory for your reining outfit?

http://usa.hermes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10202&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&categoryId=10982&leftCategoryId=58004&topCategoryId=58004&parentCategoryId=58008

Plumcreek
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And no, fur is not the same as leather. Animals are raised, suffer and die FOR fur, for fashion. No other reason. Leather is a byproduct of the meat industry (one that I do not personally support). I thought it was offensive to have fur coats on display at a venue where the amazing bond between animal and human is the entire focus.

Sorry Aunt Esther, I have to post this: Who remembers the old show, 'Designing Women' ??
Quote Delta Burke, "So if I ate a little mink steak, wearing my fur would then be OK ?"

dray
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:10 PM
Shopping was great....there was a vendor, horsedreamsimporters.com, from Palm Springs with the BEST half pads (made by CHRIST...I kid you not, what's not to like?) and dressage whips...the whip has little finger grip places and is perfectly balanced (and was only $29...it's at the barn because I already used it, so I cannot remember who made it)....half pad was the cushiest of all. My daughter got one for her jumper. I might order one for dressage. She also got the best white gloves ever by Roeckl and these reins that won't slip by Dobbert. I don't remember what we paid, but it was less than catalogue or local. This vendor also had a phenominal bareback pad for the riders who have everything. It was a sheepskin pad with THUIGH BLOCKS nonetheless that zipped on to a standard square dressage pad. It came iwth a sheepskin girth and also had rings to hang stirrups on. Obviously a novelty for the DQ who has everything...promoted for endurance riders along with those who want to hack out on the trails. It was $95, I think He sold 15 the first day. There was only the demo left! His name was Karl-Heinz Casser and he was a very nice man. Absolutely no pressure to buy at his booth.

We got World Cup hats on teh last day for $10 each, vests for $33 each and long sleeve, zipper front microfiber shirts with the logo for $33 each. These were all 50% off on Sunday and were very, very nice. the shirts are tailored fit, not box fit
. The logos were dressage and jumping. One of the hats had a jumper jumping over four aces and the other said face off with dressage horses looking at each other...pretty cute.

We got a great deal on some T-shirts...a pale green one with red roses and red crystal bling and some white crystal. Fleur de Lis Tees with really nice designs were $20 on sale if you found your size.

Laura King self-hypnosis tapes were $20 each and her had her books on sale also...didn't get a book, but we each got a video after speaking with her and getting a suggestion. She was not high pressure sales. She's very genuine, gifted and led by God. Very special person.

I sat in a few saddles and really liked the Schleese. He even has a jumping saddle now. It felt great. I also like Paul Selvey's superior Saddle (a custom maker), but he says he hasn't done much out of CA...the Triology also felt nice. These were all foreign to me because I ride in saddles withiout thigh blocks now and have been wanting to get one. I have a lot to think about. Service is obviously a huge factor.

There was a guy there who made mosaics and they were really pretty.

I wasn't offended at all by the furs....I just don't really wear them, but I don't begrudge anyone else's free choice to do so. I was intrigued with the designs and colors.

Another extravagance were the pink Der Dau boots....and the pink and black ones. I jsut got confused because if pink is the new black, then what is the black?

There was a lot of jewlery,but I didnt' take time to look at that. I did see a bit that I wanted to go back and get and forgot.

A nice thing was that nobody charged sales tax. I think they had the option to do it or not.

Donna Ray

claire
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:21 PM
It's a Rolex sponsored event and about fashion so :winkgrin:

And since Aunt Esther has expanded our horizons to include Western disciplines...

COTH has photos of the jog for the first horse inspection at the
Rolex 3-Day event.

Some cute guys (even one in a military uniform! :cool: )

Some nice outfits and some :confused:

And as always, some very nice (and one naughty :lol: ) horses!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/index.php?cat=21601043093718&image=1&z_Gallery_ID=1212204091171598

PaulaM
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:07 AM
some lovely stock ties at Equi-Logic

I forgot, I did purchase one of those too. Really lovely and best part, fit my neck perfectly.

fiona
Apr. 23, 2009, 01:46 PM
I was sadly unable to join in the mission to stimulate the world economy through the purchase of fashion and equestrienne essentials at the Hermes and Steffen Peters Las Vegas Rolex extravaganza but logged on especially to mention my outfit this evening.

I am reading dear Aunt Esthers latest adventures in the world of high fashion and society whilst wearing the latest Pikeur breeches, an ariat sleeveless polo shirt, a cashmere sweater and because it is spring in England and just a tad chilly a vintage mink stole.

My question is...are my socks, purchased from a well known supermarket, ruining my look?

Dressage Art
Apr. 23, 2009, 07:11 PM
There was a guy there who made mosaics and they were really pretty

Isn't his artwork great? I loved it and got some mugs from him. Not this time around, since I didn’t go this time, but during one of the previous World Cups.

SaddleFitterVA
Apr. 23, 2009, 10:15 PM
I am doing my part for the world economy.

Nov. 2008, bought a VW car.
Mar. 2009, ordered Dehner's (USA)
Apr. 2009, bought a leather coat at WC (Italian leather, USA construction?)
Apr. 2009, bought a French bridle at WC.

Airline tickets to WC....

Now I have to buckle down for a while, I've spent as much as I should.

Pirateer
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:16 PM
Inquiring minds want to know:

Is the shopping at the Euro World Cups as good as in Vegas? Better even?

tenacity
Apr. 24, 2009, 01:20 PM
I thought the shopping was so-so. That said, I bought: an IRH Elite Xtreme helmet in charcoal, Roeckl gloves, a Fleeceworks half-pad (with free baby pad), brush, a t-shirt, and a polo.

Loved the Latigo breeches! I was really impressed by the saleswoman's demonstration of their stain resistance, strech leather, and tailoring, but after five days in Vegas... I had to regain control over my spending and passed.

WombatCA- so sorry to hear about your experience. I think I also know which vendor that was.

Some of the vendors were really nice and helpful (an awesome woman from Fleeceworks, there with Borne Saddlery, was very knowledgeable and helpful to me) and some definitely were NOT. A lot of the booths were setup so that it was hard to even see the merchandise. The Rolex 3-day is definitely a better shopping event.

tangledweb
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:33 PM
Inquiring minds want to know:

Is the shopping at the Euro World Cups as good as in Vegas? Better even?

I've not been to a euro WC, but at Aachen WEG shopping was significantly better.

It may not have had a lot more jewelery and purses but it had 10 times the range of tack, horse equipment and riding clothes.

Coreene
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:55 PM
Indoor Brabant always has fabulous shopping with or without WC. The shopping at Aachen is, without doubt, the Holy Grail, the absolute pinnacle of sheer unadulterated orgiastic shopping bliss.

MILOUTE55
Apr. 24, 2009, 05:13 PM
We were waiting over 5 hours before we could get our palets and load our truck after we packed up the booth.... and there was my favorite item, staring right at me during all this time... the only thing the lady had not packed yet.... a big super heavy iron forged horse proudly riding a motorbike with his sunglasses on!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: I bought it, $400 instead of $495!!! I just looooooove him, all of my friends think he is awesome (and my husband just passed his motorcycle license so I got away with "this is a present for both of us honey")!!!!

Thomas_1
Apr. 24, 2009, 06:58 PM
so I got away with "this is a present for both of us honey")!!!!

My wife came home with a new gold watch with horse shoe nails encrusted with tiny diamonds either side of the watch face and a strap like horse bits and said "I thought you'd like this, so you've bought it for me."

Now I'm really not sure what Aunt Esther would make of such behaviour?

Aunt Esther
Apr. 24, 2009, 07:22 PM
Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, would have done the same as Mrs Thomas! ;) Aunt Esther is currently at Rolex and points out to Fiona that she, Aunt Esther, has been known to wear less-than-expensive socks, but only by accident. Claire, Aunt Esther wishes to discuss thw western world at length with you next week after Rolex. Tallyho!

rivenoak
Apr. 24, 2009, 07:55 PM
Yes! A simple black skull and crossbones on a white pad with black piping would be so hysterical.

I think the horse must be black.

Please, someone do this.

How 'bout a white skull on a black pad atop a grey horse? *That* one, I can pull off any old time!

Peggy
Apr. 24, 2009, 08:41 PM
We were waiting over 5 hours before we could get our palets and load our truck after we packed up the booth.... and there was my favorite item, staring right at me during all this time... the only thing the lady had not packed yet.... a big super heavy iron forged horse proudly riding a motorbike with his sunglasses on!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: I bought it, $400 instead of $495!!! I just looooooove him, all of my friends think he is awesome (and my husband just passed his motorcycle license so I got away with "this is a present for both of us honey")!!!!I am so happy to hear that it found a good home!

dray
Apr. 25, 2009, 01:21 AM
Oh yes...the ruffled stock ties.! I got the white one with black polka dots and a red pin. They gave the pics away with the purchase of a stock tie. They are cheaters...pre-tied and cute cute cute!

Who asked about the Euro WC shopping?? I guess we need to plan for the adventure in Geneva next year! YIKES...probably cheaper than Vegas.

Mosaics:
Equipment of Culture
"ceramic tile and mosaic"
www.eof.com
Richard Moss - artist
Morriston, Fl

MILOUTE55
Apr. 25, 2009, 11:15 PM
I am so happy to hear that it found a good home!

oh trust me he is loved!!! If I knew how to post pictures you would see the smile on his face...:)

Ted the Peep 'Ho
Apr. 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
I need to know about the more interesting items to purchase...horse treats. Any new items? Ingredients? More importantly, FREE SAMPLES?

Event4Life
Apr. 30, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hey, is the World Cup really in Geneva next year?! Maybe I'll go!

I wouldn't say it will be cheaper than Vegas though...Geneva is NOT a cheap city, remember Switzerland isn't on the Euro.

CFiona
Apr. 30, 2009, 05:44 PM
oh trust me he is loved!!! If I knew how to post pictures you would see the smile on his face...:)

I was JUST going to ask you to post pics....pretty please!!!

dray
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:30 PM
Milloute55,
I sat in the CWD dressage saddle with the thigh blocks...it was buffalo leather, I think. It was nice. I didn't get to talk with the rep much. He was busy with one of his dealers. How would you compare it to other saddles of similar design?

MILOUTE55
May. 6, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hi Dray,

sorry I've been away from the board and very busy.
I'd be happy to discuss CWD saddles with you if you send me an email or call me at 818-859-7708 but I don't want to break the forum rule in advertising the saddles here.
Thanks!

Amandine
CWD office manager