PDA

View Full Version : Question on price for children's hunter

kmsf
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:39 AM
We would like to purchase or lease a children's hunter for DD, but not sure how much we should figure on spending. She is 13, an intermediate rider currently doing 2'6", and may want to do some local shows but no traveling. What price range would seem fair for midwest?

joiedevie99
Apr. 21, 2009, 10:13 AM
For a local level 3' horse, you could luck into a free lease in this economy- especially if its a little older. Otherwise, you could probably find something suitable for 10-25k. If you want something that can hold its own in B/C level shows, or if you are in an area with a super competitive local shows (all the A level kids go) I would think you would find lots in the 30k range, or 10k per year lease. It also depends on your location.

Mel0309
Apr. 21, 2009, 11:35 AM
My guess is between $7500 - and $20,000. Depends on how fancy, if it has a lead change, how well it jumps, how well it moves, how old it is (and if it needs matenience), and many other factors (including how many trainer commisions you have to pay).

I would check on Equine.com and Dreamhorse.com and look at prices in your area to get a good idea.

Vandy
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:13 PM
By "Children's Hunter" do you mean the 3' show division or do you mean an appropriate horse for a child to show in local hunter classes? Are local shows you plan to attend rated or unrated? I would venture to say, where the economy is right now, you could spend as little as $5K to get something appropriate, or up to $20-$25K if you want the winner at smaller rated shows.

findeight
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah, are you asking about a 3' move up horse? Or one to do something lower at the locals?

For local levels, I think 10k to 20k to buy outright should be plenty. Maybe a little less if you find what they call a "motivated seller" as in the foreclosure notice in on the house door and they are 3 months behind with the trainer.
If you want to explore some of the AA rateds, you will need a little more but not that much, under 30k.

Now, your superstar, big reputation 3' Hunter that is sound and healthy with verified show record at the AAs is still going to be more, some alot more.

But your modest, workmanlike campaigner for the average quality show is going 10k to 30k in most areas, lease is 1/3 of stated value for 1 year.

kmsf
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thank you for the input. She would like to eventually move up to 3', but is not looking to do a lot of A shows. We do have a good local schooling show series. So I would say one that is safe, sound, and able to do 3' (sounds like what everyone else is looking for :)

LockeMeadows
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:05 PM
I sold a similar horse last year for 25K; 6yo, 16.1 1/2H, four socks, lovely mover and good jumper, safe, solid lead-change, showing 2'9", schooling 3'6". This year, he won two Championships at HITS Ocala. If you look, they are out there.

SCMJ
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:26 PM
The children's hunters is quite a competitive division and the big winners are usually older ones that can no longer do the juniors or other 3'6 divisions and that may have soundness issues, and because of this they are good candidates for leasing. We have solid, true blue honest children's hunters that are leased out year after year after year because they would be somewhat difficult resales due to some sort of soundess issues (however minor they may be) or age. These ones still go out for the year in the 25k range and IMHO are worth it in every way because they are genuine characters with the looks of big(ger) time hunters. However, since you are not necessarily looking for a guy that will win at the A's, you can easily find something in the 5k a year range without much difficulty. These ones can sometimes be a bit harder to get down the lines but since they aren't set as long at most smaller local shows, it shouldn't be a problem. I know many, many people with very quality animals who have been hit hard in the current economy and are looking for free/cheap lease situations so that they do not have to get rid of their horses and can get them back at the end of the lease when times are hopefully better. Good luck and there is no better time them now....keep looking and you'll find something suitable that is well within whatever your price range is without a problem.

heygirlhey33
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:29 PM
Well Im not familiar with how fancy a horse needs to be for a local show. But with the ecconomy as it is, I being a creep on all the internet sites guess you could find one for around 20k or even less, alot of people are trying to unload their unneeded horses it appears. IMO you will be able to find a nice move up horse. there are tons of great horses that are as sweet and safe as can be but not fancy for A shows or what ever. Id ask your trainer as he or she will probably know of some great move up horses around you. Sorry about the lack of a real answer, but I show on the AA childrens circuit and Im pretty sure the prices are different, and the level of fanciness.

IsolaBella09
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:31 PM
findeight said is perfectly. It completely depends on where you look, how fancy you want, what shows you are doing. If you look you can find something nice in your price range though. You have to know people in the business and find connections. I had this experience with my horse. There are always nice horses on bigeq.com and exchangehunterjumper.com for a bit pricier option.

iridehorses
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:52 PM
for the local three foot horse, it depends how made you want it to be, but i would guess around 5K-15K at the most (like previously said in this thread, childrens hunters will be more)
good luck with your search!

kmsf
Apr. 21, 2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks to all the replies!

Elouise
Apr. 22, 2009, 04:53 PM
It depends on what part of the country you are in
It depends on what you consider a childrens hunter
And it depends on how competitive a horse you want.

I think some of the above suggestions are correct, but for a nice, SAFE, pretty "enough" and pretty automatic (but still needs riding skills) childrens hunter the price would be in the $45-75K range, if you can find one for that price. (An acquaintance of mine bought one last year for $100K. Very automatic, very safe and very pretty, but still only a childrens hunter.)

Leases while they say are 1/3 of the value, I find that they are running more towards 40-50% of the value plus the cost of insurance.

I have been horse shopping and prices have not come down on good, safe, quality horses. (Heck, the prices haven't come down on the not so nice horses either!)

You can find "horses" for less, but there may be some issues that you may regret later (lameness, lead change issues, length of step and jumping style).

Good luck in your search.

Elouise

findeight
Apr. 22, 2009, 05:33 PM
Have several friends who have recently purchased or sold what I'd call solid B quality horses with show mileage...you know, very nice for the locals and hold their own at the smaller As...between 10 and 30.

AA made 3'ers with proven results are going to be in that 50 to 75 area, at least. But OP does not need one of those.

Vandy
Apr. 22, 2009, 05:41 PM
I think some of the above suggestions are correct, but for a nice, SAFE, pretty "enough" and pretty automatic (but still needs riding skills) childrens hunter the price would be in the $45-75K range, if you can find one for that price. (An acquaintance of mine bought one last year for $100K. Very automatic, very safe and very pretty, but still only a childrens hunter.)
?!
I'm curious to know where these horses are being sold and who is buying them at that price. The other posts on this thread seem to be more in line with what I'm seeing, IMO those prices sound more like what you'd find 3-4 years ago when the market was a lot stronger.

stickwithit
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
i don't know much about horse pricing in the midwest, but i know they can go anywhere from about 20k-50k. the price range for them around here is 30k-50k, but that's also on the A circuit. it really depends on what you're looking for.

heygirlhey33
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:57 PM
?!
I'm curious to know where these horses are being sold and who is buying them at that price. The other posts on this thread seem to be more in line with what I'm seeing, IMO those prices sound more like what you'd find 3-4 years ago when the market was a lot stronger.

A safe automatic, fancy children's hunter that will pack around at an AA show, and be in the top three with a good course, and win with a flawless one, will be at least 75k IMO. Thats even for a slightly older horse. We have a good number of 6 figure horses doing the childrens or adults at my barn. There are those that arent that much aswell, but either they were older, green or a tougher ride then the nice ones. Im not saying you cant find them though.

Mel0309
Apr. 23, 2009, 10:36 AM
A safe automatic, fancy children's hunter that will pack around at an AA show, and be in the top three with a good course, and win with a flawless one, will be at least 75k IMO. Thats even for a slightly older horse. We have a good number of 6 figure horses doing the childrens or adults at my barn. There are those that arent that much aswell, but either they were older, green or a tougher ride then the nice ones. Im not saying you cant find them though.

Except that the OP's daughter is doing the local shows. She doesn't need the fancy top three placer at the AA shows. She needs the safe packer that will do the 2'6 and maybe move up to the 3ft at the local shows. Those can be found for under $20,000 - especially in the midwest.