PDA

View Full Version : saddle style rumor

miss girl
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:39 PM
I heard a rumor that the old type "real" close contact saddles without knee rolls are coming back. Has anyone else heard this? :no:

BeaSting
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:42 PM
I don't know about rumors, but I rode in one during a lesson this evening and really liked it - a lot.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:46 PM
I heard a rumor that the old type "real" close contact saddles without knee rolls are coming back. Has anyone else heard this? :no:

:confused:
This is a really strange post.

Even if they DO come back 'in style' no one is going to MAKE you ride in one. The antares and devoucoux's will still be made and probably will still be very popular.

Personally I ride in a no frills Tad Coffin and love it. It has a very small knee pad kind of thing but it doesn't make a difference really. I will never understand how people can ride in those over padded saddles and still feel their horse underneath them.

I kind of hope more people do make the switch. I bet we would see a marked improvement in equitation and effectiveness.

superpony123
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:53 PM
this is kind of a weird question. you don't hear much about saddle fashion :lol: they've always been around. i see just as many no-frills no-pads saddles as the padded up ones. me? personally, i can't ride in anything other than my saddle. well, i can, but it hurts. it really shouldn't, i'm only seventeen, but if i ride in one of the real old saddles in the barn with a pancake seat, my back and knees feel awful. i get a lot of joint and back pain, so having my nice cushy devoucoux is quite helpful for avoiding soreness (not that i don't still have some pain, but it's nothing i can't tolerate)

it's not like anyone's going to come taking my saddle away and replacing it with an old pancake. you can keep your regular saddle. judges aren't going to mark you down for having a regular saddle with knee blocks/cushy seat or a pancake saddle (unless they do not fit you).

Go Fish
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:28 PM
: Personally I ride in a no frills Tad Coffin and love it. It has a very small knee pad kind of thing but it doesn't make a difference really. I will never understand how people can ride in those over padded saddles and still feel their horse underneath them.

I kind of hope more people do make the switch. I bet we would see a marked improvement in equitation and effectiveness.

Durn...I wonder how I showed western (cutting, reining, snaffle bit, etc.) all those years not being able to feel my horse underneath me and all...;)

Seven-up
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
What's weird about this?

OP is asking if anyone heard about flat saddles coming back into fashion and/or new ones being made....she didn't say, "Did you hear the rumor that someone is sneaking into tackrooms and replacing all the poofy squishy saddles with pancake saddles?" Or, "OMG, did you read that saddles are being inspected at the ingate, and anybody with kneerolls gets 20 lashes with a crop?"

I do agree that they've always been around, and are classic, but they're not necessarily what a lot of riders consider THE saddle to have. I'm a classic girl, I won't ride in anything but my flat PDN. Personally, I think it would be cool if they came out with a new, modern version of it.

But jeez, OP is just asking if they're becoming popular again (as opposed to the tried and true old school classic that they are now.) What's wrong with that?

mvp
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:37 PM
Nothin' wrong with the question or the saddles. I'm confused about the "rumor" part. I don't think there is a clique of peeps making up the rules. But if there are, then please name names. Just curious about the source.

I'm of the PdN era, and I can ride in a modern padded bucket. So I guess that fashion of it all is lost on me, but the form and function of these different kinds of saddles is worth considering.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:49 PM
What's weird about this?

But jeez, OP is just asking if they're becoming popular again (as opposed to the tried and true old school classic that they are now.) What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with the question itself but the post sounded like there was going to be some sort of law passed tomorrow outlawing all padded saddles and mandating that only PDN's are to be used in the future :lol:. It read kind of dramatic to me. I just don't understand where these 'rumors' come from, who cares enough to start them/listen to them and become worried I guess. Is it really that big of a deal what kind of saddle I choose to ride in?

Seven-up
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:52 PM
Maybe OP just likes the word 'rumor.':lol: Or maybe it was one of those things where someone said, "I heard somebody else say..." therefore it was 2nd hand info, otherwise known as 'rumor.'

'Splain yo'self, OP! :winkgrin::lol: Are conspiracies brewing or what?

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:03 PM
The rumor I heard was that close contacts never went anywhere and have been available for years.

I have a Hermes Steinkraus and an Antares Medium Deep, so if THEY check up on me, I'll be o.k. no matter which one is approved by THEM. :lol:

theroanypony
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:02 PM
I haven't heard any rumors. But someone said about the over padded saddles. I rode in two of my friend's saddles last week. One had a massive amount of padding in the knee rolls, to the point where my knees felt like they were miles away from the horse, my legs actually turned to where the backs of my calves were on the horse. The other saddle didn't have nearly as much padding, but the padding it did have was so cushiony that I felt like I was sitting on a couch rather than a horse. I'm so used to my flat Kincade (don't laugh, it fits my pony and that's all that matters really). Both are rather expensive saddles, but I love my flat, hard saddle. I feel like I have something stable to support me.

meehankk
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:39 PM
i havent heard it, and i hope its not happeneing b/c i have 2 big ole cushy saddles on consignment. But they usually only take ones they know they can sell and from what ive seen at shows i dont see too many people switching back, and i see the same people at the same shows week after week.

My first saddle had no knee rolls and all that jazz and i loved it, and now i have the big couch and love it, so im indifferent on that part!

Foxtrot's
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:47 PM
It is surprizing how much pressure a trainer can put on a student to ride in a certain saddle - not exactly a law, but none of the kids wants to be the only one with the weird saddle, and peer pressure is powerful. Hence all these Butets and Antares - flavour of the current times...for now.

lesyl
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:54 PM
It is surprizing how much pressure a trainer can put on a student to ride in a certain saddle - not exactly a law, but none of the kids wants to be the only one with the weird saddle, and peer pressure is powerful. Hence all these Butets and Antares - flavour of the current times...for now.
Hmm I have not had that experience. But then again, I only trade trainers when I move to a new state, thus 15 years riding, 3 trainers. They all did insist that I have a saddle that was decent, safe and fit me and the horse. So I rode for a long time in a 17" Curcuit and now an 18" Artos Stuebben.

Seven-up
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:58 PM
It tends to happen a lot more when the trainer is getting a cut of every saddle that their students buy.:no:

Kenike
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:02 AM
I am another of the flat-as-a-pancake PDN era, and that's what I rode in up until 2 years ago. Then I got my cushy padded saddles. Okay, so one is an older model with less "cush," but still not the the classic style.

Anyway, I'm happy with what I have, and I still have my old, beat up PDN. I'm comfy in all, and I'll ride in what fits me. Rumor, or popular style be darned!

Horseymama
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:12 AM
If it: 1. fits the horse, 2. fits me, I don't care how flat or cushy it is. Unless it's a really weird saddle that balances me really funny, I don't even notice.

Moocow
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:39 AM
I do recall my CWD rep friend saying that a lot of the bigger brands are starting to make the 'pancake' saddles more available. ie Devoucoux, Antares but not CWD yet. I'm also a fan of the very little padding and can't stand the saddles that are so padded up that they hold your leg in place! But it's all a matter of comfort for both horse and rider, right? Not fashion! :)

fourmares
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:45 AM
Of course they are... after all it's time for everyone to buy a new saddle. How else do you think that the saddle companies stay in business? If no one ever bought new tack they'd be out of business in a hurry.

miss girl
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:33 AM
I'm sorry I didn't mean to make my OP sound so dramatic. I had just heard from one of my students that she had heard that the old style flat unpadded close contact saddles were coming back into fashion...so I guess that makes it a "rumor". I didn't mean to imply that we would be punished or our saddles taken away if they weren't what was in style...just a simple question of what is in style. It's been quite sometime since I've been on the "A" circuit ;) I myself am from the flat old style saddles era and prefered them until I got my ADT close contact...and being of a mature age the padding is much friendlier to my older joints. I do have to agree with another poster that we would see better equitation and have a better feel of the horse with the old style...that's one of the things that I miss about them. Sorry to have made a mountain out of a mole hill :winkgrin:

ImJumpin
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:37 AM
I just eBay shopped for a saddle. The PdN used to sell for $400ish, and there were many on there for $100ish instead. Not that eBay is the cutting edge source of what is coming back, but with that information I don't see a big rush a this point for the old style.

Donnalynn
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:59 AM
Well darn. I was so hoping they would be all the rage again.

Does anyone else have a story about the cushy ones?

As in, "back in the day, I had one of my adult ammies (who did not have the very best seat in the world, but a lot of enthusiasm and was a truly great and generous person with deep pockets to boot) buy one of those new fangled a/o saddles. We all laughed a little even though we loved the leather since our old PDNs were, well, old. Then I sat on her horse with it one time to show her something in a lesson. Then my friends sat in it. Now not a one of us uses our PDNs although we all have kept them and nobody will ever touch one of them on ebay for any amount of money......"

And now we are all oiling them up just waiting for the day it seems like a good idea to get that feel again. We might have to trade em around a little though, since these days some of us have more junk in the trunk.

meupatdoes
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:01 AM
I just eBay shopped for a saddle. The PdN used to sell for $400ish, and there were many on there for $100ish instead. Not that eBay is the cutting edge source of what is coming back, but with that information I don't see a big rush a this point for the old style.

That probably has more to do with the overall economy tanking and ALL types of saddles going for pennies on the dollar of what they used to go for on ebay.

Padded saddles are going for much less now too.

mrsbradbury
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:38 AM
I rode in two of my friend's saddles last week. One had a massive amount of padding in the knee rolls, to the point where my knees felt like they were miles away from the horse, my legs actually turned to where the backs of my calves were on the horse,

That's exactly the point, the saddle forces you not to pinch with your knee, and it puts your leg near the correct position.

While I am comfortable riding in just about any saddle (save the random off-brand with the hokey balance.), I still love my mid-cushy saddle, a Bruno Pinet. I also used to ride in a flat, flat Close contact saddle, and I do not miss sore knee bones!

I teach a fair amount of adult beginners, and my school saddles all have padded flaps, knee and thigh blocks etc., If I put these poor ladies in an old PdN, or Crump they'd slide right off if horsey shook his head!:lol:

hunter-eventer-hunter
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:24 PM

They went away? Not in my tack truck...

monstrpony
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:37 PM
Heck, I have a saddle from the era when big knee rolls were the rage, before pancake saddles came into vogue the last time. Do I get a prize for being the biggest old fogey?

GettingBack
Apr. 21, 2009, 03:02 PM
Oh if only it were true, then I could bring back out my old flat PDN, my petal bell boots and my hunter green coat (ooh, and maybe my show bow too) - I'd be styling! :D

Please note this post was tongue in cheek - I still love my PDN and would ride in it if my butt weren't too big, I DO still have a hankering for the petal bell boots, and my hair was never long enough for a show bow. Despite all that, I wear what I want to in the ring, so there.

xabbracadabra
Apr. 21, 2009, 03:55 PM
That's exactly the point, the saddle forces you not to pinch with your knee, and it puts your leg near the correct position.

While I am comfortable riding in just about any saddle (save the random off-brand with the hokey balance.), I still love my mid-cushy saddle, a Bruno Pinet. I also used to ride in a flat, flat Close contact saddle, and I do not miss sore knee bones!

I teach a fair amount of adult beginners, and my school saddles all have padded flaps, knee and thigh blocks etc., If I put these poor ladies in an old PdN, or Crump they'd slide right off if horsey shook his head!:lol:

I have to say those cushy saddles the the opposite for me. I used to have a Beval Stamford. It was like riding on a couch and man did I learn how to grip with my knee in that saddle. My old trainer told me to stop riding in it, put me in her old flat Crosby and I have never gone back to cushy since. I find the flat saddles make it so I have to ride correctly and can't take a short cut

theroanypony
Apr. 21, 2009, 04:27 PM

I use the inside of my calves, not the back of them. That was my point, it forced my knees so far away from the saddle that I had no choice but to use the back of my legs. I imagine it works for someone with really long legs, my feet just barely came past the bottom of the flap.

AmandaandTuff
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:00 PM
I love my pancake!

Perfect Pony
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:43 PM
Glad I bought a dark brown County Stabilizer, it can "pass" for a old style CC saddle as well as a "modern" cushy saddle. Best of both worlds and I can pretend to be in style either way! :lol:

Seven-up
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:56 PM
...I DO still have a hankering for the petal bell boots...

Allow me to help you reminisce.....clackity-clackity-clackity-clack!!!:winkgrin::lol:

GettingBack
Apr. 21, 2009, 10:31 PM
Seven-Up thank you so much - I loved that sound! I think it's because the first horse that I saw wearing them was the most amazing gray jumper that I had ever seen - you know, when you go to shows as a youngster and one horse just stands out and strikes you. I was so envious - he had those petal bell boots on, as well as the ulster splints...

To die for. *laughing*

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 21, 2009, 11:29 PM
I personally look forward to the next time the minimalist saddle comes back into style. I think it sort of "cleanses" the sport of inferior equitation and forces riders to better themselves.

Foxtrot's
Apr. 22, 2009, 12:18 AM
Every time a horse came by in the warm-up ring with those petal boots on I would nearly get bucked off.

We still have a Crosby Hampton - Story goes that my daughter was down skid road with her boyfriend looking for some last year's tree planting equipment in the pawn shops.
she phoned and said there was a brand new Hampton in the window of the pawn shop, amongst all the crack dealers and homeless. I met her downtown and offered $400.00 for saddle, girth, two pads, irons and leathers. (steal I thought). Their eyes lit up and I realized I'd made a boo boo. They couldn't wait for me to leave the store with the saddle - it was probably hot. (But the cops are walking by the store all the time.)

My favorite saddle was the Crosby AGA, sort of predecessor of the current puffy saddles.

Twisting
Apr. 22, 2009, 02:22 AM
I love my PDN, it's the only saddle I've ever owned. I've ridden in it for 16 years. I used to look down my nose at those girl who bought the puffy saddles. I can't ride in it anymore. I can't handle the knee pain and back pain it causes me these days. So I caved and bought a poofy saddle, I can hardly believe the difference. I can ride without pain now. I'll never sell my PDN but I'm a convert.

As for the better Eq in the flat saddle? If you have 2 riders who's eq appears the same, one in a flat saddle one in a puffy sadle who is the better rider? The person who's working harder or the person who bought a puffy saddle and doesn't have to work harder? And if they both get over the fences safely does it really matter?

mvp
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:47 AM
Great saddle! Balanced, a little deep, minimalist knee rolls/padding, beautiful leather before that meant a mortgage payment.

I have one that's too narrow for most horses, but I'll keep it forever. It sets the standard for the shape/size of saddle I like, so I use it to compare other saddles to when I look.

hollyhorse2000
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:16 AM
I ride in the saddle that best fits me and my horse. I don't check with the fashion police.

TBPNW
Apr. 22, 2009, 12:14 PM
I hope more saddles will be available like that soon, I-don't-know-when-ago, these were more common. Knee rolls but especially padded flaps were not seen on saddles. I prefer it, but I also think it's a cleaner look...I don't know if you'd call it "rumor" but I agree it's about time for it to come back.