PDA

View Full Version : OVATION SADDLES

atouchofclass
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:46 PM
Looked at an Ovation saddle and it seems pretty nice. Anyway know much about them ?

kaazs
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:47 PM
We have a really nice tack store in my area that carries all kinds of saddles and they carry the Ovations. I can remember when I was younger sitting on it in the store and thinking how comfortable and squishy it was. I've never ridden in one, but just sitting in one was enough to tell me that they were comfy :)

Burbank
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:03 PM
No help here because I was wondering the same thing, also wondering how the bridles are.

Schune
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:35 PM
I've ridden in the ShowJumper model for the past 2 years, and to me, it's a good saddle in a comfortable price range. It's fit every horse I've ridden decently.

The only problem I've had with it is that it's a 17", and I now need a 16 or 16.5"

So it's time for me to start saddle shopping again.

brightwhitestockings
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:44 PM
i would never tell her, but my friend has one and i hate it passionately :lol:

PROTACKGUY
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:48 AM
Interesting. The Ovation brand is really a bit of a sleeper. A hiddden Gem that is not that well known. For my money it is the best value in a saddle.

mvp
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:01 AM
I second what PROTACK GUY has said.

Designed by Ruiz Diaz, I think, a guy who created collegiates and has designed saddles that have made many people and horses happy.

If I have this genealogy right, Ovation saddles are distributed by Weatherbeeta, the same parent company that owns Pessoa and Collegiate. I think Ovation is meant to be their middle-range line in terms of quality materials.

I think the leather is the best of all three lines of saddles. I'm not sure it has the same panel foam and design as the Pessoas. Ovation is now starting to make changeable gullets along the design of the Pessoas (easier to get to than the Bates).

So if the saddles fit me and my horse better, I'd buy an Ovation in a heartbeat. Before a Pessoa for about double the price. Ovation saddles are one of the best deals out there, IMO.

caradino
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:38 AM
i rode in one for the first time a couple weeks ago when my saddle didn't fit the schoolie i was riding, and i was pleasantly surprised! it was comfortable and well-balanced, squishy enough to be nice to my rear but no crazy pads/blocks/nonsense to push my leg around and get in the way. seemed like a really nice mid-range piece of equipment!

PROTACKGUY
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:56 AM
I second what PROTACK GUY has said.

Designed by Ruiz Diaz, I think, a guy who created collegiates and has designed saddles that have made many people and horses happy.

If I have this genealogy right, Ovation saddles are distributed by Weatherbeeta, the same parent company that owns Pessoa and Collegiate. I think Ovation is meant to be their middle-range line in terms of quality materials.

I think the leather is the best of all three lines of saddles. I'm not sure it has the same panel foam and design as the Pessoas. Ovation is now starting to make changeable gullets along the design of the Pessoas (easier to get to than the Bates).

So if the saddles fit me and my horse better, I'd buy an Ovation in a heartbeat. Before a Pessoa for about double the price. Ovation saddles are one of the best deals out there, IMO.

Actually, the Ovation is made by Ruiz Diaz, the same guy that makes Pessoa, ANKY as well as some other European and UK brands that are not marketed in the USA. The company that imports and distributes both Pessoa and Ovation saddles is English Riding Supply. Weatherbeeta only owns the Collegiate name. The original Collegiate saddles were designed, developed and made by Ruiz Diaz since the start, When Weatherbeeta purchased the Collegiate name from Millers, Ruiz Diaz did not supply Weatherbeeta with saddles and thus the Collegiates are made in Viet Nam now and are a different saddle than before. The Ovation is really the Collegiate but brought up to date with new tree technology and higher quality leathers. Confusing that is for sure. But a terrific saddle none the less.

LARGEBORE
Apr. 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
Ha.... maybe they should make up a French name !

mvp
Apr. 21, 2009, 11:00 AM
Yup, people dig french names-- witness the Marcel Toulouse phenomenon, for however long that will last.

But French and British trees are shaped differently, IMO. The French "banana shape" absolutely won't work on my horse-- rolls back and forth to grind his little back. So I categorically exclude French saddles from my search!

To each horse and rider combo their own, I suppose.

But to the OP: Go look and try in person. I think you will be able to answer many of your questions by seeing Ovations and comparable saddles (or even much more expensive ones) in the flesh.

Dramapony_misty
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:37 PM
i would never tell her, but my friend has one and i hate it passionately :lol:

Why the hatin'? :lol:
But seriously, what didn't you like about it? Just saying "hate it passionately" doesn't really help the rest of us here.

chawley
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:44 PM
No help here because I was wondering the same thing, also wondering how the bridles are.

A friend of mine bought one for his schooling bridle and it's quite nice for the money. The leather isn't quite as soft as the Bobby bridles, but it looks and feels nice and is well made.

notimenomoney
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:45 PM
My daughter is on her second Ovation saddle. She loves it. She out grew the first one so we traded it in on a new one. In hindsight, I should have put it on consignment instead of trading it in because I would have gotten more money for it. At this store, when you trade them in, they up the price from what they give you and put it in the consignment area. Well, her saddle never even made it to the consignment area. It got resold right away. I would highly recommend these saddles.