PDA

View Full Version : No bridle?

KathyR
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:02 PM
Am I blind, or is there no bridle on this horse? Page 28, 4/10 issue COTH. Our Day Farm ad, Horse-Raven, Eq. winner rider. Not criticizing-just curious. The rider is wonderful.

Tollriffic
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:08 PM
I don't see one either. Just something around the neck.

phoenix mom
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:17 PM
It looks like the Parrelli method, just a neck strap. There is a roan gelding on The Exchange that showed w/o a bridle. Do you get extra points for that?

hideyourheart03
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
Wait, Our Day Farm as in the Jayne's farm? And Raven as in Missy Clark's Raven? That would be strangely out of sorts for that combination to be showing without a bridle....

I'd be curious to see the ad. I don't subscribe to COTH and only get a chance to pick it up when I go by the one tack store that sells it in the area.

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:50 PM
It looks like the Parrelli method, just a neck strap. Please don't call it that. That idiot certainly didnt create riding bridleless.

A neck strap ridden at the base of the neck is called a cordeo, for those interested.

perfecta11
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:09 PM
Well, since I'm on the inside of this one, I can tell you that you're correct. That is Kelsey, that is Raven, and there was no bridle on him. To quote Alex as the judge asked what she should be judging in that hunter phase, "Horsemanship. Judge horsemanship." It was some good fun for all of us as 12 long and serious weeks of WEF came to a close.

theroanypony
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:17 PM
That's fantastic! My pony would love me if I showed him without a bridle. Reinless is appreciated by him, but no contact is tolerated. I actually would do courses with him bridless if he would cooperate by staying straight.

Kenike
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:17 AM
Please don't call it that. That idiot certainly didnt create riding bridleless.

A neck strap ridden at the base of the neck is called a cordeo, for those interested.

I agree...it's a method that I saw and was able to experience WELL before Parelli was around.

Now, off to find the picture!

HaulnHorses
Apr. 21, 2009, 12:47 AM
Your in luck I just scanned the picture a few days ago to send to a friend who wanted to see Kelsey and the bridleless Raven. Go Kelsey

Bottom right hand picture http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1092/4547360/15529486/362027794.jpg

mvp
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:19 AM
The hunter who cruises around sans bridle should win!

The eq rider who can get the job done with no bit, and lots of body should also win!

Those of us hanging out at home wondering what could make our broke horses even better should try bitless and cordeo-based riding. Why not? Think about how many texts you could send while riding "hands free."

I'd love it if the hunter, eq and especially the dressage world would get its head out of its various a$$es and encourage the good, "back to front," "ride from your seat and leg, not your hand" kind of riding that cordeo-ridden and bitless-bridle ridden horses demonstrate. To take the rant a bit further: The idea that a horse can't demonstrate "acceptance of the bit" without a bit is to pretend that the be all and end all of a trained horse was somehow about its relationship to a particular piece of metal in its mouth. Purists, really?

Great to see a good horse and rider demonstrate the possibility of getting this all done without the piece of metal.

DMK
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:24 AM
There was a great you tube video of a hunter going around the red/blue round bridleless a few years ago. I can't recall the name of the horse or rider, but it was a well known junior horse whose junior pilot was the daughter of a trainer (possibly from TX but forgive my brain if I am totally wrong!), and mom/trainer was schooling it around the red/blues a la bridle-less just for grins and giggles. I'm pretty sure it pulled off a flawless blue round as well.

dags
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:27 AM
There was a great you tube video of a hunter going around the red/blue round bridleless a few years ago. I can't recall the name of the horse or rider, but it was a well known junior horse whose junior pilot was the daughter of a trainer (possibly from TX but forgive my brain if I am totally wrong!), and mom/trainer was schooling it around the red/blues a la bridle-less just for grins and giggles. I'm pretty sure it pulled off a flawless blue round as well.

Burberry, ridden by Brandi Holloway bridle-less. Almost flawless, minus a mama chip on the long ride to the oxer :) Her daughter, Hunter, shows him in the Small Juniors. Its on our site if it's not on youTube anymore.

findeight
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:30 AM
Somebody jumped one around in, IIRC, the Juniors at Thermal recently (had a rail but otherwise fine). And Foxfield has fielded (maybe still does) a drill team over fences bareback with neck wires fo 50 years or so. See it in the movies too, most recently LOTR.

Giving it just an iota of thought, this is probably the first method of control we humans came up with 10k years ago. There is probably a reason we improved on it for more control but PP certainly has nothing to do with it.

TheHunterKid90
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjrsmkcDekE&feature=PlayList&p=EB89D4106BFE06EB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18

What a nice trip with the exception of that one single...which typically happens even when you do have a bridle! Very impressive.

ef80
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:46 AM
One of these days I really ought to get the video from my old drill team posted to youtube. For now, all I've got online from my bareback-and-bridleless days is my silly sig pic :)