PDA

View Full Version : OMG I got a helmet cam for my birthday! A couple more vids added post #38

tidy rabbit
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:10 PM
OMG I got a helmet cam for my birthday!
I've always wanted one! This ought to really make the critique process interesting! :) So cool! I can't wait to try it out.

kellyb
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:14 PM
Oh that is soooooo cool, I can't wait to see your vids and live vicariously through you!! :D

eqrider1234
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:17 PM
That is freaken awesome! :cool::cool: Where did you buy that?!

tidy rabbit
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:17 PM
My husband ordered online someplace. I've said so many times that I wanted one! But they are expensive and it's just a fun novelty but could be really cool to film from a regular video camera and then edit in the first person view going over the fence. Oh boy. I'm going to have some fun with this! :)

Then Mr T.R. says, and look you can control the volume so when you chip a fence and say "Oh Sh**" everyone can hear you on the video. Great.

IsolaBella09
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:20 PM
Then Mr T.R. says, and look you can control the volume so when you chip a fence and say "Oh Sh**" everyone can hear you on the video. Great.

HAHA!:lol::lol::lol:

Make us a video! :D

tidy rabbit
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:30 PM
It's too wet outside to ride today. :cry:

Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I can do it. It's supposed to be hot and sunny the rest of the week.

The camera has a wide angle lens on it and it's takes pretty high quality video. I want to figure out a way to mount it to the horse's breast plate. Probably would have too much motion though.

tpup
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:48 PM
That is so neat! Someone here on COTH filmed a trail ride from her horse's back once - it was in California I think and it was REALLY neat. I have a Flip Video that I love but I have to hold it - doesn't work too well when you're riding :lol: I need to look up the price on the helmet cam!!

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:57 PM
The camera has a wide angle lens on it and it's takes pretty high quality video. I want to figure out a way to mount it to the horse's breast plate. Probably would have too much motion though.

I've thought about this before, but you will probably end up with a bunch of footage of your horses' head, neck and nose. I think the browband would be the place to try.

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:59 PM
That is so neat! Someone here on COTH filmed a trail ride from her horse's back once - it was in California I think and it was REALLY neat. I have a Flip Video that I love but I have to hold it - doesn't work too well when you're riding :lol: I need to look up the price on the helmet cam!!

I know there is an eventer that has used a helmet cam before. I think it is up on YouTube.

superpony123
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:15 PM
that's SO COOL!!!

Noctis
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:26 PM
Thats awesome! I can't wait to see the film! Lucky girl you!

NEIGH-HAM
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:39 PM
I need to show hubby this thread and hit him over the head with a hint:winkgrin:

I can't wait to see a video from it.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:39 PM
I think the browband would be the place to try.

Just be sure your horse is ok with it. I tried mounting one onto Mare's bridle, and all was well until it shifted slightly and whacked her. Then, not such a great idea! :eek: I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to mount it better yet, but the little video I did get was cool.

bhrunner06
Apr. 22, 2009, 07:53 AM
im jealous!!! have always wanted one too!!! post a video as soon as you can!!

Acertainsmile
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:32 AM
It will only work and be cool if the fences are really big...:winkgrin:

Jockey's have worn them and it's really neat because it shows the horses in front of them, not sure how it will look with a single horse, I guess kind of like watching a roller coaster... but I love the sound effect idea!

tidy rabbit
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:57 AM
Ya Ace, it wont be any fun at all. What was I thinking?

:uhoh:

gladys
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:33 AM
Watch this and be inspired!!
http://www.barnmice.com/video/helmet-cam-x-country

equest
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:49 PM
My husband ordered online someplace. I've said so many times that I wanted one! But they are expensive and it's just a fun novelty but could be really cool to film from a regular video camera and then edit in the first person view going over the fence. Oh boy. I'm going to have some fun with this! :)

LOL!! My bf just got one of these (the V.I.O). He is an avid motorcyclist so he plans on using it to document his trips/rides. He suggested me riding with it, and I was not too keen on it - I don't think my riding is all that exciting - I don't jump as high as you TR :)

The controls that you have to wear around your waist seem like they may be kind of bulky. Let me know how it goes and post vids soon :)

equest
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:51 PM
I know there is an eventer that has used a helmet cam before. I think it is up on YouTube.

I think I remember seeing the helmet cam in the coverage of either the Olympics CC or Rolex. Now that was cool. Me jumping 2'6 - 2'9 = not so much. LOL

Individualblue07
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:13 AM
MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A VIDEO OF YOU RIDING AERO FOR ME!!!!!!!:D

tidy rabbit
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:16 AM
This is the one I got: http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=1

I hope to get to use it today. It's really little and light weight.

Gladys, thanks for posting that link! It was fun to see.

Peggy
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:04 PM
IIRC, they showed helmet cam footage of Karen O'Conner at Rolex one year. Not only was it very cool, but I was uber impressed with her control of her eye level: the woman never looked down but was always focussed ahead. If I had one, people might get motion sick while watching the resulting footage.

Am looking forward to the new movies.

Filly85'
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:24 PM
I have got to go get one of these things. Although, I think you might get motion sickness from watching me ride too.

Then again, knowing my luck, I would fall off and break the thing the first day even though it's been awhile since I've hit the dirt.

Have fun with it TR!

tidy rabbit
Apr. 23, 2009, 11:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1UnOu1rYPI

Too funny! It will be fun to play with it.

We recorded 18 minutes and I don't have a way to split the file here at home so I had to film the TV with the other video camera. Some of the quality is definitely lost but it's still COOL. Will be way fun when the jumps get bigger.

ImJumpin
Apr. 23, 2009, 11:40 PM
Very cool! Which horse are we riding? ;) Is that Havoline?

Reminds me of the horse game-- is it called Equestriad? I feel like I need to press the space bar to get the horse to jump!

dghunter
Apr. 23, 2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1UnOu1rYPI

Too funny! It will be fun to play with it.

We recorded 18 minutes and I don't have a way to split the file here at home so I had to film the TV with the other video camera. Some of the quality is definitely lost but it's still COOL. Will be way fun when the jumps get bigger.

So cool! I can't wait to see more!

tidy rabbit
Apr. 23, 2009, 11:50 PM
Ya we were riding Havoline.

Too funny about hitting the space bar to jump!

CHF
Apr. 23, 2009, 11:56 PM
Tidy! That is AWESOME!!!! I love it!! So incredibly cool!

kellyb
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:18 AM
AWESOME!! Please make more!! This is way better than playing "My Horse and Me" on the wii!!!!

PNWjumper
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:53 AM
That's so cool! I loved watching Havoline's shadow as you came around the corner and headed up the line :)

KateKat
Apr. 24, 2009, 01:33 AM
that was so fun! where did you end up mounting the camera??

Instant Karma
Apr. 24, 2009, 08:27 AM
I LOVE his ears!

starrysky
Apr. 24, 2009, 11:56 AM
That was so fun to watch! Please keep taping and posting.:)

Sparky Boy
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:02 PM
That's really cool!!! More please, bigger jumps too ;)

I wonder what it would look like from the horses head?

Noctis
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:13 PM
That was awesome!

phoenix mom
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:16 PM
I wish we could get a Grand Prix rider to wear one of those. Another absolute must have luxury to put on the list! You have a very steady head while you ride!

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:18 PM
This is the one I got: http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=1

I hope to get to use it today. It's really little and light weight.

Gladys, thanks for posting that link! It was fun to see.

Now that I see the size, I wouldn't use it anywhere else but the helmet. When I suggested the browband, I was referring to the spy camera size.

tidy rabbit
Apr. 25, 2009, 09:59 PM
A couple more from today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkfRJAYUNtY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onMt8C2ELYQ

hideyourheart03
Apr. 25, 2009, 10:29 PM
1.) SOOOO cool!
2.) Your shadow gave me a good laugh!
3.) You are soooo accurate! I would love to see what a monster chip looks like on a helmet cam! :lol:

tidy rabbit
Apr. 25, 2009, 10:45 PM
Here's the side view of the same exercise, maybe not my best ride, but it's what you are watching from the helmet cam.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbDRK6iFA9g

Acertainsmile
Apr. 25, 2009, 10:58 PM
Very cool Tidy... you may be on to something here...:)

mvp
Apr. 25, 2009, 11:33 PM
Nice. Can we get a horse-eye view?

I'm sure that would be a pain, but think of the educational value! We could see when the fence disappears in front of the horse, perhaps learning how they see distances.

Thanks for sharing the fruits of your nice riding and nice technology!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Apr. 26, 2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks for sharing!

That's really cool. Where did such a neat item come from?

tidy rabbit
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:42 AM
Nice. Can we get a horse-eye view?

I'm sure that would be a pain, but think of the educational value!

I'm not sure how educational it would be, but we've talked about attaching it to Havoline's breast plate. I'll try it this afternoon and see if it is watchable, I think there will be too much movement though. The other thought, which would probably work better, is to place it on the side of my saddle somehow. It came with a lot of attachment pieces so maybe one of them will work.

Sparky Boy
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:51 AM
I like havoline's ears. :)

Jenesmane
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:32 PM
Wow I just thought...I wish I could have had this on when I have taken a few spills in the past. Could you imagine watching your view of flying through the air over a jump without your horse?!:lol: Too funny!

trakehner013
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:05 PM
that looks soo cool!

sycee
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:35 PM
Totally cool... I would love to see how the horse sees it, but how could you work that taking into consideration their eye placement??
Anything you try, I'll be willing to watch. I even made my non horsey sister watch it and she liked it too!