PDA

View Full Version : How tight is too tight - tall boots

TrakeGirl
Apr. 20, 2009, 04:30 PM
Sorry to put another tall boot thread on here, but hoping to avoid getting the wrong size boot!

Situation: there is a pair of Ariat Challenges (tall/regular) at the tack store that I surprised myself by actually getting on this past weekend (over breeches). I walked around quite a bit in them and am starting to get a sense of how they'll break in. They were not horribly hard to get on - they have zippers and there weren't big bulges or anything pulling on the zippers - but they were TIGHT. I sat in a saddle with stirrups on it to get a sense of how the talls would work...and I could feel the pulse in my legs pounding.

So...is that too tight?

Or is that good? As they will stretch?

Or better to go up a size? The fit was just so nice in the regular calf - I hate to go to fulls - but I don't want to regret this later. (Although I do fully realize that I will probably bust these zippers at least once in the first year of ownership and completely plan on sending them to Ariat to have the good YKK zippers installed on them when it happens.)

I can put my current boots on without even needing boot pulls they are so big - so I don't even really know what proper fitting boots are supposed to feel like.

Thanks!

Dapple Dawn Farm
Apr. 20, 2009, 04:38 PM
I hate that throbbing in my legs from too tight boots...hate it! With zippers you do run a chance of them breaking and probably at the most inopportune time like at a show. Personally, I'd try the next larger size or a different brand of boot. I don't like to ride in pain:no:

Arcadien
Apr. 20, 2009, 04:59 PM
Okay this is an embarrassing story, but too good not to share here -

Tall boots are "too tight" when a few moments after you (by some miracle) get them on your calf begins to ache & your toes fall asleep, and when you try to get it off (no zipper), the boot jack can't budge it, and you start to panic.

Panic seems to make your trapped calf seem to swell before your eyes and you realize you are alone, and in so much pain & panic by then, you can't even cut the boot off without gouging your flesh. So as the pain increases in waves you are pondering making the stupidest 911 call in history or facing attempting a drive to the emergency room to have it cut off before your foot dies and turns gangrenous, until at the last minute you sort through all your friends and think of one that would forgive you for driving over at 10 pm in pajamas and one tall boot (and a friend who won't remind you of your moronic act every day for the next ten years!)

And you really know it was too tight when it takes her, her burly husband, and teenage son 5 minutes of desperate tugging before you are boot free, and 5 more minutes of massage before feeling begins to flow back into your toes.

:)

So, if you didn't feel in danger of making it 911 call, it *might* not have been too tight.

But obviously you shouldn't listen to me on this issue. :)

Sheepishly,
Arcadien

spina
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:11 PM
I personally feel there's no such thing as too tight. You want them skin tight, just not killing you. If you can get them on & zip them up they're already a LOT looser than what some people start with. I have friends who went through similar experiences as the above poster, and after finally getting the boots peeled off took them to be stretched for a few days (the footwear equivalent of sending your bad horse to "the cowboys") and lived happily ever after.
Really. They'll stretch a lot. A lotalot. From your description I'd be worried that by the time they finish stretching they might even be too big. If you can even leave them on for two minutes without losing feeling in your feet & legs, I would NOT go up a size.

kellyb
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:13 PM
How long did you walk around in them?

I just bought a pair of ariat tall boots and they are a touch too tight (I also feel my legs pulsing). It's a full calf. I tried the wide calf and it was just wayyy too big (looked ridiculous) so, full it was. However, I put the boots on while I was grooming/bathing my horse, and after a few hours the pulsing went away. I assume they will continue to break in and be totally fine. I'd rather have them too tight than too wide...you can always stretch them!

Arcadien
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:17 PM
Back to admit I agree with the posters who said, you want them "almost too tight" to begin with - guess that's partly why I ended up in the predicament I did, I was trying for as tight as I could bear (in this case they were too tall too, so no point to stretching them).

My best boots were so tight I could only wear knee high nylons under them, and sometimes my calves ached. But after that first season they stretched on their own and they were my best fitting boots for 20 years.

Just have someone who can help lined up ahead of time before you try to pull on those "almost too tight" boots, to avoid my hilarious but at the time scary (and painful!) predicament!

Arcadien

Aerial
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:30 PM
that wasn't the bridlespur hs was it?

ya i agree with everyone else. def. would not go up a size.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:41 PM
Arcadian - you haven't ever had too tight boots, eh? :) :) :)

IsolaBella09
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't go up a size. They should feel almost too tight, but they will relax over time and mold to your feet and calves. I have an older pair of Ariat Challenges that are around 5 years old and they have stretched out a bit, but that is because the zippers were redone. They broke in lovely when they were new though.

Arcadien: :lol:

TSWJB
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:53 PM
If they are a bit too tight, just try to get them on and then take them to the shower or wash stall. hose them down with warm or hot water. get them nice and wet. and then wear them until they are dry! this is the best way to break in boots especially if they are a bit too tight.
the tack shop that i bought my boots at told me this. one calf was a bit tight. the one that i had torn my ACL and had to do tons of rehab and build muscles. i was in the regular calf ariats but the wide calf looked horrible! the guy selling the boots really had to struggle to get the right calf zipped up. but i did what he said. get the really wet and now they fit like a glove. and i didnt even have to worry about breaking them in. they were comfy the first time i wore them on a horse.

hideyourheart03
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:27 PM
I'd stay with those ones. My semi-customs wouldn't zip for months if I tried to put them on after 10 AM since my legs started to swell. Now they fit like a glove.

You obviously don't want them to cut off the circulation to your feet, but with that feeling that you described, you should be able to break them in pretty easily. Just don't try to wear them for the first time at a show! Wear them bathing, etc. for a while first. In fact, my old boss at a tack shop told girls to go wear there boots in the hottest weather imaginable to break them in. The heat on the horse will loosen the boots up so they fit great.

KaraAD
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
When my custom boots came in, it took 30 minutes for the tack shop owner and I to get them on and when they did, they hurt quite a bit. I didn't lose feeling in my toes but I thought my calf was going to implode. I was worried that they were too tight and she was worried that they weren't tight enough. If they don't hurt at first, they are going to break in to be too big.

We horse people really are crazy!

horsestablereview
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:39 PM
After having to be the one wielding scissors to cut boots off of someone else who was crying - be very careful buying boots that might be a bit tight. Especially if there's a small chance that you might gain weight or pick up running, tennis or dancing.

If it's only slightly uncomfortable, they make stretch spray but I don't know how great that works. You do have to worry with the zippers though that the zippers might break.

Good luck! Breaking in new boots is so very unfun.

klmck63
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:45 PM
I definitely wouldn't go up a size.. My first pair of tall boots I bought too loose (painful at the time but not quite painful enough I guess ;)) and after a season they were too big and they had also dropped too much.

My replacement pair are zips and they took myself and two other people at the tack shop to get on, and when I was breaking them in I had purple spots (not quite bruises as they faded after a couple hours) on my ankles but in the end after they broke in they fit great!

TrakeGirl
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE
We horse people really are crazy![/QUOTE]

LOL. Isn't that the truth?!!

horse-loverz
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:40 PM

Tall boots are "too tight" when a few moments after you (by some miracle) get them on your calf begins to ache & your toes fall asleep, and when you try to get it off (no zipper), the boot jack can't budge it, and you start to panic.

Panic seems to make your trapped calf seem to swell before your eyes and you realize you are alone, and in so much pain & panic by then, you can't even cut the boot off without gouging your flesh. So as the pain increases in waves you are pondering making the stupidest 911 call in history or facing attempting a drive to the emergency room to have it cut off before your foot dies and turns gangrenous, until at the last minute you sort through all your friends and think of one that would forgive you for driving over at 10 pm in pajamas and one tall boot (and a friend who won't remind you of your moronic act every day for the next ten years!)

And you really know it was too tight when it takes her, her burly husband, and teenage son 5 minutes of desperate tugging before you are boot free, and 5 more minutes of massage before feeling begins to flow back into your toes.

So, if you didn't feel in danger of making it 911 call, it *might* not have been too tight.

Sheepishly,
Arcadien

I feel your pain the exact thing happened to me and my claustrophobia set in. I was a blubbering fool and had a giggling teenage daughter enjoying witnessing my panic attack. :rolleyes: Now zippers are a MUST for any tall boot fashion be dammed. :lol:

Silk
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:37 PM

Sheepishly,
Arcadien
This is freaking priceless!!!! I laughed (with you, not at you) all the way through it:)

In the Air
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:20 PM
My best boots were so tight I could only wear knee high nylons under them, and sometimes my calves ached. But after that first season they stretched on their own and they were my best fitting boots for 20 years.

Arcadien

I am so old school, If you could fit anything in them except nylon knee highs and a few squirts of show sheen they were way too big...;) You always put your boots on in the morning as soon as you got up and dressed, as you could never do it later when your legs and feet are bigger...

Taking your boots off was always a barn project. End of show everyone sat down and helped pull each others boots off. :D:D

Madaketmomma
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:15 PM
My motto has always been-if you can feel your feet after they have been on for a while, they are too loose.

Seriously though, they will stretch. There is nothing worse than too loose tall boots. If you can get them zipped, you are fine. No pain, no gain!

I used to have my brother pull my boots off for me back in the day because he was the only person strong enough to get them off of me.

Arcadien
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:53 PM
Arcadian - you haven't ever had too tight boots, eh? :) :) :)

What? Nah me, never! ;)

(Aw sheesh, they looked sooooo elegant, after a couple glasses of wine, I was so sure I could fit in them!!!)

(Thank heavens for friends and that Dover has a nice return policy <grin>)

Arcadien

In The Gate
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:27 AM
Sorry, but I disagree. I went that route and was told not to worry because they'd stretch with time or could be stretched at the tack store. They never did stretch enough to stop hurting even after multiple attempts at stretching them. I toughed it out for a while, but I was never so happy as the day I got rid of them.

Why risk it? As long as the others aren't obviously loose I'd go one size up.

Fly_High
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:18 AM
These threads really ease my mind. I am having the same issues (hence my stretching calves thread). I feel the pulse immediately and after about 20 minutes with them on, I hurt and can't feel my toes. I am not a pain wuss either, obviously i am a rider, but I also dance ballet on pointe. I was told by my trainer and the store rep they would stretch but totally panic when trying to break them in and they were not budging. I have been wearing them around the best i can and rode in them for about 10 minutes before my calves wanted to explode last weekend. I think they are starting to get a bit better. I think part of my mistake was trying to break in new boots and rock hard pointe shoes in the same week. I am just getting too old to abuse my body so much. hahaha

Whimsically Smart
Apr. 21, 2009, 10:01 AM
I feel your pain the exact thing happened to me and my claustrophobia set in. I was a blubbering fool and had a giggling teenage daughter enjoying witnessing my panic attack. :rolleyes: Now zippers are a MUST for any tall boot fashion be dammed. :lol:

Don't be fooled by the apparent easiness of getting out of zips! I got stuck in mine, much the same story of Arcadien, but I had to wake my mom up and it was before school! A little piece of the leather that protects your leg from the zipper had gotten stuck in the zipper when I but my, leg throbbing, too tight boot and it took an hour to get me out! .. I too have clausterphobia :cry:

Abbeyroad1791
Apr. 21, 2009, 10:02 AM
I feel the pulse immediately and after about 20 minutes with them on, I hurt and can't feel my toes. I am not a pain wuss either, obviously i am a rider, but I also dance ballet on pointe. I was told by my trainer and the store rep they would stretch but totally panic when trying to break them in and they were not budging. I have been wearing them around the best i can and rode in them for about 10 minutes before my calves wanted to explode last weekend.

As far as pain management goes, it helps a LOT if you ride with your zipper down just far enough that the boots are tight but you can still feel your toes. And then lots and lots and lots of Akene to help with the stretching process. They will eventually stretch to the point that you can comfortably zip them without feeling like your calves might die and fall off. Took about a week for my boots to zip. GL!

Maggy
Apr. 21, 2009, 11:11 AM
Beware...I just recently bought a pair of the Crowne's...they were tight, but I could get them zippered. After wearing them around the house for a couple of days, I was ready to venture out to the barn and ride in them. The pain subsided after a few minutes of 2 point position...:D When I went to take them off, my breeches got caught in the zipper, after a bit of jiggling it, I got it free. The next night I put them on, went to get on my horse...and low and behold the zipper blew out! :mad: I got off, and tried to get the zipper down, I ended up getting a pair of plyers and was able to cram the zipper back in the tracks...zipped them down and up...seemed fine. Put them on again, and within a few steps, blew out again. So, my brand new, ridden in once Crowne's are broke :no: Be very careful...

As far as the stretching "stuff" it works! I had bought a pair of Dublins that were TIGHT...to the point I could only get them on in the morning with no breeches. The guy at the tack shop sprayed this stuff in them and told me to wear them til they dried...after that they fit me like a glove...in hind-sight, kinda wish I had him spray the Crowne's!

Jersey Fresh
Apr. 21, 2009, 11:40 AM
I am considering buying a pair of zip Der Daus and I was also wondering what is considered "too tight" for zip boots. I was always a non-zip girl until I tried these on and they were so lovely. I tried on the right boot and I could (after a few tries of walking around with it 1/2 zipped) zip it up fully with breeches on. It was tight by my I could feel my toes. I couldnt get the left one zipped fully but I was curious if they would stretch at all if I walked aroudn with them and gently zipped it up gradually. But my concern is if buying zip boots this tight woudl cause a zipper blow out in the future?

HuntJumpSC
Jun. 10, 2009, 04:14 PM

Sheepishly,
Arcadien

:lol::lol::lol: Been there! In pajamas and one boot, thinking my leg was going to explode before I got the blasted thing off. Thankfully, my husband came in with a "What in the h--- are you doing at this time of nite in pj's & one boot?" After removing the offending Ariat from my aching, fat calf, hubby ever so gently suggested I sell them on Ebay & accept the fact that they no longer fit. :dead:

touchstone-
Jun. 10, 2009, 04:30 PM
Wow. You guys are tougher than me. I would not go through throbbing, bruising or loss of circulation. They're only going to stretch if there's force applied to them--so if they fit nicely to begin with, there's no reason to think they're going to suddenly expand of their own volition. I agree that slightly too tight will probably stretch into the right size. But painfully tight is, IMHO, too small.

For a point of reference, my custom Vogels pulled on easily when I got them, and my legs never throbbed. 10 years later, they still look and fit great.

I'd be particularly careful with zip up boots. I'm a pull on girl myself, in part because I've seen so many zippers blow out on friends when their boots got tight. That zipper is going to be the weakest link and will only be able to withstand so much force.

Ty2003
Jun. 10, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm laughing at Arcadien's story because I just went thru that...like a moron, tried on my boots at home, alone, with nobody but the two dogs to watch me writhe around on the bed in agony as I tried to pull them off, crying and moaning "what have I done??" (no boot pull at the house - what was I thinking?). I did get them off and they actually fit PERFECTLY now - like they were custom made for me (they are Ariat Challenges, but the pull-on kind which I like because you can stretch them if necessary). However, I did have a pair of zipper Ariat Challenges before these (before I lost weight) and when I first tried them on I almost cried from the pain, the throbbing and the panicky feeling I got as I walked around the tack shop like a penguin. I was assured they were okay, though, and bought them. Lo and behold, the first time I rode in them, they dropped a bit within a few minutes and they were absolutely perfect. I personally would go with boots that are a little tighter than loose because you can always stretch them a little bit in addition to the stretching they'll do on their own. Nothing worse than a pair of boots that are too wide...

Rosie
Jun. 10, 2009, 07:58 PM
So here's a hint that works for new/tight boots of the non-zipper type:

Before putting them on, pull a THIN plastic bag over your foot and up your calf. (The protective plastic bags that newspapers are sometimes placed in work perfectly.) So, your foot/calf is encased in plastic - don't worry if it rips a bit or your toe goes thru. Then, pull your boot on over that. The slippery plastic makes the boot slip on and, more importantly OFF much easier.
Sounds weird, I know - and I thought it would bug me - but you can't even feel it once your boot is on.
I used the plastic bags for several weeks when breaking in my Vogels....which were TIGHT!

AngelBites
Jun. 10, 2009, 09:51 PM
I just bought a pair of the Ariat Challangers and after days of pain and agony..they fit PERFECTLY! I wore them around the house, I wore them doing barn chores..and yes...i wore them to walmart! Walking and working them, they will stretch to where they need to be. Im old school also and they should be just big enough to fit over your breeches and some very thin riding socks.

horse-loverz
Jun. 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
Don't be fooled by the apparent easiness of getting out of zips! I got stuck in mine, much the same story of Arcadien, but I had to wake my mom up and it was before school! A little piece of the leather that protects your leg from the zipper had gotten stuck in the zipper when I but my, leg throbbing, too tight boot and it took an hour to get me out! .. I too have clausterphobia :cry:

Oh goodness.. and I thought I was safe... :sigh::no:

Foundgreenergrass
Jun. 10, 2009, 11:13 PM
I have gone through a couple pairs of zip up tall boots with 2 pairs breaking! One at a clinic and one pair at a show! It was so hard to find boats that were tight enough and tall enough for me and when I did find some I literally had to sleep in them to stretch them out because I couldn't zip them over breeches! The pair I have now are extremely comfortable now that I have worn them for weeks and weeks at shows and clinics. At first I could feel my pulse in BOTH legs and my toes would be so numb that when I jumped off my horse I couldn't feel my feet! If you can zip them or pull them on once they aren't to loose. You might need 6 people to help you get them on and off but if they go on, they aren't to tight!
hang in there it does get better I promise:) they will mold to your feet and legs.
P.S if they give your ankles blisters you can get Mole Skin from the store and it makes that go away:D
Good luck

warmbloodguy
Jun. 11, 2009, 02:32 AM
so it will stretch. You can also buy this spray stuff, which is called something along the lines of "Boot Stretch" and it works wonders. You spray it on the inside of the boot before you ride. I did this with my Vogels, which I had made of the french calf leather and made tighter because of the stretch factor. Then when I got them I used the "Boot Stretch" on the inside of the boots, zipped them up, and after the first ride in them they shaped to my leg and stretched out to fit like a glove.

Boot Stretch is AMAZING :D

hellerkm
Jun. 11, 2009, 06:44 AM

Sheepishly,
Arcadien

Thank you so much for the hysterical visual on an otherwise rotten rainy morning!! ROTFLMBO:lol:

KnKShowmom
Jun. 11, 2009, 12:40 PM
DD tried on a pair of Crowne Pro's (non-zip) at Dovers - had a bit of a time getting them on but when she tried to take them off it was a no-go. I had her lay on her back in the store with her leg up against the display rack for about 20 mins and then it took 3 of us (2 holding on to her and 1 pulling on the boot) to get them off. It was pretty funny to see the look on other customer's faces when they would come around the corner and see her there on the floor! :)

Can't go up a size in width because they will be too big so the boots are sitting in her closet while she puts off breaking them in.....

They are too tight in the calf area - so, which is better, the water treatment (you should have seen her face when I suggested wearing her boots in the tub), rubbing alcohol (mentioned in another thread) or the boot stretch spray.

The lady at Dover suggested putting them on the boots stretcher but I am afraid they may end up too big so I would rather not go that route.

Arcadien
Jun. 11, 2009, 01:11 PM
Thank you so much for the hysterical visual on an otherwise rotten rainy morning!! ROTFLMBO:lol:

My pleasure! ;)

I can still remember the horror when I realized I was "trapped", and trying to think through the agony of words to explain my predicament to the 911 operator -

911: "What is your emergency?"

me: (gasp) "Help! I can't get it off!!!"

911: "Something is on you?"

me: "It's got my leg!" (grunt) "Ow, it's killing me...Help!"

911: "Okay ma'am, stay calm, help is on the way - do you know if it has its shots?"

me: (gasp) "PLEASE get off!... what did you ask?"

911: "Is this a pet or a wild animal that has your leg?"

me: "Um... well it might have been livestock actually... it probably did have its shots, before it was slaughtered. Ow! Help!"

911: "???"

chawley
Jun. 11, 2009, 01:18 PM
I personally feel there's no such thing as too tight. You want them skin tight, just not killing you. If you can get them on & zip them up they're already a LOT looser than what some people start with. I have friends who went through similar experiences as the above poster, and after finally getting the boots peeled off took them to be stretched for a few days (the footwear equivalent of sending your bad horse to "the cowboys") and lived happily ever after.
Really. They'll stretch a lot. A lotalot. From your description I'd be worried that by the time they finish stretching they might even be too big. If you can even leave them on for two minutes without losing feeling in your feet & legs, I would NOT go up a size.

I agree. My Ariats (fully lined pull ons) were so tight when I first bought them that my legs would go numb and it took an army of men to remove them. After a few weeks, they stretched to a perfect fit. My Vogels, which are only cuff lined, have really stretched quite a bit. I'd say at least a half inch or more.

chawley
Jun. 11, 2009, 01:22 PM

Sheepishly,
Arcadien

Seriously, that is fantastic!!!!!!

seeuatx
Jun. 11, 2009, 01:32 PM
I feel for you Arcadien. I wore my too-tight Ariat pull-ons in the tub, then around the house... and then finally decided to wear them to a lesson. By the time I got to the barn I could feel the throbbing. I toughed it out while I groomed and loaded the horse. About 20 minutes down the road I could no longer feel my toes and my whole leg felt like it was going numb. I had that 911 panic too. We pulled over in a parking lot for a rural hardware store, and one friend sat on me while the other tried to pull the boot off. No dice. Finally we dug through the emergency trailer kit to find the pocket knife and in extreme desperation we split the seam. I keep meaning to take the now useless boots to have zippers put in... just haven't found a good boot place to take them to.

njhorsegurl
Jun. 11, 2009, 02:31 PM
I definitely agree with In The Air!

nylon tall socks and some show sheen gets me into my Ariat tall boots [no zippers]

I was an athlete through college and have definitive calf muscles, but after having Beval stretch the calves, they fit like a glove. My first experience using them before they were stretched sounds like Arcadien, sheer panic!

soooo even with the stretched calves I need to hold onto something sturdy and have my boyfriend strain to pull them off, but it's worth the effort after the ride to get the feel I want while I'm on the horse

good luck!

Mimi La Rue
Jun. 11, 2009, 06:43 PM
I remember when I was in high school my new pull-on tall boots got stuck. One boot finally came off but the other was stuck on for hours! The trick to get them off used to be to have someone bend over facing away from me, while I stuck my leg with the tall boot through their legs and they yanked at my boot while I pushed them in the butt with my other leg. Well after doing this with my mom and almost breaking her back, we flagged down two BNT's at my barn (both men) and they still couldn't get it off. Both offered to cut it off but cutting my expensive boots was out of the question. I then went home and we tried again, seemed even harder now because my leg probably was swelling more and more by the second. My mom then got this genius idea to go next door and ask the neighbors for help. Well she brings back my neighbors boyfriend who was the most popular guy in high school. He was quarterback, prom king, you name it. I wanted to die in embarrassment. Here I am basically shoving my foot up his butt while he is twisting and turning the boot off of my other leg but after a pretty good fight my boot finally slipped off! He never let me live that one down, but any girls who heard the story were jealous of me. lol

Mozart
Jun. 11, 2009, 07:53 PM

Sheepishly,
Arcadien
Thank you for my laugh of the day :lol:

AnotherRound
Jun. 11, 2009, 08:00 PM
Well if it helps any, that's exactly how I buy my off the shelf boots (original post). Ariat challenges actually, same thing. I don't buy zippers - I want them to fit tight because I know they are going to stretch and drop. If they start out like you are describing, those particular boots will break in perfectly. They are fully lined, so you really need to do a couple of dunkings in water, put the hose int them or step into a water trough and walk around all day, but once you do they will fit well and still be tight and tall. I do not buy zippers though, because they will not allow me to break them in the same - the zipper can go too easily. No reason for zippers if they fit without. Just my opinionl

Arcadien
Jun. 12, 2009, 02:00 AM
Thank you for my laugh of the day :lol:

Quite welcome <GRIN>

My calf still aches from the memory, but relating the humiliating predicament has helped emotional healing methinks!

citydog
Jun. 12, 2009, 02:53 AM
I feel the pulse immediately and after about 20 minutes with them on, I hurt and can't feel my toes.

That's just not healthy.

Wow. They're only going to stretch if there's force applied to them--so if they fit nicely to begin with, there's no reason to think they're going to suddenly expand of their own volition. I agree that slightly too tight will probably stretch into the right size. But painfully tight is, IMHO, too small.

For a point of reference, my custom Vogels pulled on easily when I got them, and my legs never throbbed. 10 years later, they still look and fit great.

Exactly.

bnd
Jun. 12, 2009, 01:18 PM
the tigher the better ... i have a pair of these boot , i can now offically wear my jeans under them they streched like mad ... also just as a tip ... my trainer once told me that if u cut out salt 2 day before u wear them they will fit looser ... i am serious it works .. i guess salt makes water retain in ur legs .. i personally would get the tigher ones ... u can alway stretch them out if u need to and they will look sooo much better