PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Identify/Mark Your Spurs?

katie16
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:25 AM
Wondering how you mark your spurs so that you can identify them as yours. Ideally, everyone takes them off of their boots and puts them in their tack trunk - so no worries. However, when they are taken off at ringside, in the schooling area, brought to have just in case, or whatever, they are potentially mixed in with someone else's. How do you mark them to identify them as yours?

sarcam02
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
Invest in a dremel engraver and mark the outside of the spur with something visible but subtle. Also engrave your name on the inside of the spur/bit/ whatever. Money well spent

Dramapony_misty
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:41 AM
I bought little letter leather punches and stamped my initals on my spur straps near the then of the straps.

Tandy Leather has nice stamps. They are 1/4" so they should fit on most leather spur straps. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Tools/4909-00.aspx?feature=Product_6 :)

Moocow
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:53 AM
Spit on them!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

ClosingTime
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:06 PM
A small zip tie attached snugly around the inside fork of the spur.

Tini Sea Soldier
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:09 PM
dot of nail polish on the inside bottom part of spur leather.

touchstone-
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
Initials in whiteout pen on the inside of the strap. I keep sharpies and whiteout pens in the tray of my trunk and put my name on *everything*. I've been at too many barns where things walk away.

Dramapony_misty
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
Touchstone, I tried sharpie on the inside of my spurs and it just rubbed off after a few times. Won't white out rub off on your boots too? Maybe my stuff is just weird :-P

Small Change
Apr. 20, 2009, 02:01 PM
I think touchstone meant on the inside of the strap, not on the spur itself.

Dramapony_misty
Apr. 20, 2009, 02:17 PM
I think touchstone meant on the inside of the strap, not on the spur itself.

Duh...I read that wrong :lol: But the white out thing still baffles me. Now it's just curiosity.

onwego
Apr. 20, 2009, 03:00 PM
They have those spur charms and you could put one of those on your spur.

Dirty Little Secret
Apr. 20, 2009, 03:10 PM
I used some wire wrapping then put deerskin on the insides of my spurs. My schooling spurs are fully beaded all the way around. My 'show spurs' are engraved on the insides and sharpied on the straps.
Things walk away A LOT!

superpony123
Apr. 20, 2009, 03:17 PM
i have two pairs of spurs currently (though several pairs have walked off in the past, but probably due to me forgetting them somewhere.)

one of them is newer, and i keep them in my truck except for when i take them to shows. i mostly only use this pair at shows. they're the rolly spurs, with the metal rolling ball. i dont think anyone else in my barn has the same kind, so that makes it easy. plenty of others have them at shows, but if theyre on my boot, well, id sure hope they dont walk off of my own boot :lol: however i take them off and change for my tiny spurs sometimes at shows and then i usually give them to my trainer to put in his pocket. as for my little spurs that i use when i'm jumping...well other than the ratty leather strap...i have a very interesting way of identifying these. they STINK. not like horse manure or horse at all. Kind of like stinky feet and lunch condiments. I have NO IDEA WHY! i probably went without washing those things for a year, they got real cruddy, then i took them home to clean with some heavy duty dish soap and a scrubby brillo (this is how gross they were) and something smelled. so i'm like, sheesh, what is that? i lean closer and it's my spurs. so weird. i have no idea how they smell like that, but they do. i've washed them several times with dish soap and they have yet to stop smelling. i mean, it's not so strong that i can smell it from far away, it's just when its near my face. well, i doubt that's normal for spurs to smell like that. so if anyone sees someone checking spurs to see if its theirs by smelling them...that's me :D:lol:

Peggy
Apr. 20, 2009, 03:41 PM
Use silver/gray sharpie (more permanent than white out) to write on inside of strap.

touchstone-
Apr. 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
Duh...I read that wrong :lol: But the white out thing still baffles me. Now it's just curiosity.

It's actually surprisingly permanent, and shows up really well on black things like spur straps and crops. I also like it because those pens have a really fine point, so it's easy to write on small spaces. I mark on the backside of the strap near the buckle, and my initials have lasted for several years. It'd probably also work on the spurs themselves. For some reason, that never occurred to me :)

I also like the silver sharpies, which sometimes work on black surfaces--though not leather.

hideyourheart03
Apr. 20, 2009, 04:40 PM

I do this to all my bits. Haven't tried spurs, but it's a good idea. The one thing I caution is to use a distinct color and to put it on the same place on every pair/every bit so that you know exactly where to look. I made the mistake of putting it on different places and it's hard to find without a lot of looking for it.

RW06
Apr. 20, 2009, 04:42 PM
I take a small piece of the blue tape (the painter's tape that doesn't leave marks) and wrap it around the inside part of the spur

IsolaBella09
Apr. 20, 2009, 05:58 PM
I like the idea of silver sharpie on the inside of the strap. I'll have to use that!

poniejumper
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:05 PM
I wrap two different colors of electrical tape on the inside of my spurs. Always the same two colors and always in the same order. I know that their mine and the tape peels off if I need it to.

JrHunterRider
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:04 PM
Colored electrical tape around the spur close to the strap.

Mistery72
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:07 PM
I mark everything with tape discretly placed so it won't be seen at quick glance but is there each rider / horse owner in my barn has a color sometimes a combination if we have riders that both want the same color then everything they own is labeled. they know it's there's and i know who's it is when they leave out there stuff (most of the time so i can put it away for them when i'm feeling nice ) I've been doing at a big schooling barn for 12 years now stuff gets returned before i even know it's lost sometimes people see blue tape and know its mine on the good days :)

Credosporthorses
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:39 PM

I do this but I place the dot on the inside of the spur as I ferquently break spur leathers:lol:

Janet
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:58 PM
I rarely take them off anywhere but at my trailer, where they get hung up in the tack room.

If, for some strange reason, I took them off somewhere else, I put them on my belt.

Jumper6252
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:04 PM
colored electrical tape

Apr. 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
I had small plates engraved and placed on the leather strap. When worn, the plate does not show but sits under the boot.

Bolero
Apr. 27, 2009, 08:42 AM
SmartPak can laser engrave them with your name or initials! I just got a pair done and they came out awesome. I got the Impuls Spurs. (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=3017&cmPreserveSource=true&cmPreserveCategory=true)

As a side note, I had all of my new brushes laser engraved as well. They look so pretty and now everyone knows their owner.

theroanypony
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:55 AM
My spur straps are so long, and my feet are so small, and child spur straps seem impossible to find, so I cut the ends of the straps off. Very easy to identify, I seem to be the only person at my barn/shows that does this.

I've pulled them off after the flat and left them in front of the ring, a lady picked them up and asked her kid if they were hers, "Nope, those belong to the girl on the roany pony". :lol: