PDA

View Full Version : Shutterfly's greatness, is it breeding?

La Gringa
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:08 PM
Does anybody know his breeding? He's Hanoverian with Sandro and a lot of G line in there.

Here's his pedigree http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shutterfly

He has a very distinct head and ear carriage as well... where does he get that?

I love him, he was flawless today in the WC. He really seems to like the indoor arenas too... as compared to their not so great performance in Beijing.

Does he have any siblings that are doing well too?

BigDreams07
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:11 PM
I have no idea but hes just. stunning. Maybe hes a freak of nature ;)

Peggy
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:12 PM
Here's another site with pedigree info -
http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?z=c5-s1Q&d=Shutterfly

horselovr121
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:13 PM
His sire, Silvio I, looks like him to me in pictures, with the way he's put together and his build. Shutterfly is hands down the most ridiculously amazing horse I have ever seen. I am strongly considering buying frozen semen from Silvio for my mare.

La Gringa
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:16 PM
I noticed there is A LOT of TB blood in there too. Could explain his 'sensitivity.'

He is amazing. He's not an easy ride though. He is a bit hot.

Meredith rides him beautifully.

Samotis
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
a bit difficult? I am pretty sure the owners sent him to a lot of the big time riders and no one could get along with him. That is why Meradith got the ride. She was the only one who could get along with him!

he is super careful and amazing to watch. You certainly can't make mistakes on him!!

La Gringa
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:24 PM
a bit difficult? I am pretty sure the owners sent him to a lot of the big time riders and no one could get along with him. That is why Meradith got the ride. She was the only one who could get along with him!

he is super careful and amazing to watch. You certainly can't make mistakes on him!!

Which is what makes this even more amazing.. to win 3 majors like this...

They are a team. Like Pessoa and Baloubet de Rouet. Nobody can touch them.. or repeat their greatness with a different rider.

It was fun to watch for sure. Too bad he's not a stallion! :)

EquineLVR
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:33 PM
Which is what makes this even more amazing.. to win 3 majors like this...

They are a team. Like Pessoa and Baloubet de Rouet. Nobody can touch them.. or repeat their greatness with a different rider.

It was fun to watch for sure. Too bad he's not a stallion! :)

GO for his full brother Sir Shutterfly... :)

La Gringa
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:45 PM
GO for his full brother Sir Shutterfly... :)

Wow, so he does have a brother

see here http://www.greenacres-stud.com/sirshutterfly.htm

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:51 PM
I know a horse who's a half brother to him and doing very well though only at the level 4-5 and I don't think he's going any higher. But very similar look and jumping style to Shutterfly, just not as much scope.

La Gringa
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm a big fan of the G line Hannoverians. I have seen some great jumpers by this line.

I am not so familiar with the Sandro line although I know it's popular.

Shutterfly may be a freak.. but a good freak he is.

3Dogs
Apr. 19, 2009, 10:02 PM
The million dollar question!

So,well yes, breeding to some extent - maybe a large extent - but full sibs can be flubs so it is always the genetic toss up. That sire line, yup, great. The dam sire line, well, I just don't know it - Forrest??? - but the mare line, with great G line Hanoverians - yes, great! I wlecome the TB experts to chime in.

There is so much that goes into a great jumper or any super athelete - bloodlines absolutely, but then building on the genetic potential is the whole other story.

As said before, there is no guarentee that full sibs will be equivalent - nor should they be given the genetic mix up - nor is it guarenteed that identical twins will be equally talented - hence my skeptic attitude torwards cloning....

lonewolf
Apr. 19, 2009, 10:46 PM
Shutterfly does have quite a bit of tb in him.

He seems to have good breeding, but so do a lot of other jumpers out there.

He really is a freak of nature, though -- he's the best jumper I've ever seen in an indoor arena. He is incredibly scopey, and just seems to have that perfect balance of natural-born carefulness and bravery.

Despite that, I think Meredith had a lot to do with making him the horse he is.

I have to say, though, that I also really loved Christina Libherr's No Mercy. To me, he looked like another freakishly talented jumper, and he did what he did without the perfect ride the other horses got.

Moocow
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:52 AM
I agree with 3Dogs here. Though breeding may have to do with some of it, there are so many factors that come into play. Even if you have full siblings it doesn't necessarily mean they will perform the same. There aren't a lot of stallions that consistently produce GP horses, either I don't think. (I am no expert here) One to look at though who does produce very consistently is Darco. I am sure if you breed to a top stallion your results are likely to be good, but the chances of a horse like Shutterfly coming out? Maybe not so much. But who knows!! ;)

Hauwse
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:37 AM
Though his TB bloodlines are not as great as many of the WB's out there, he does have some significant ones. Going through all of them would turn this into a novel, but if we take Sir Gallahad alone one can see the influence. Damuraz, a member of the Canadian Equestrian Team and a gold medal winner at the Alternate Olympic Show Jumping Festival in Rotterdam, My Cap (a puissance winner for the USET), Number One Spy (Grand Prix Jumper of the Year in 1975), Sloopy, Snowbound, White Lightning and Jet Run, all Grand Prix winners and members of the USET, are also descendants of *Sir Gallahad III. Shutterfly is also a distant decsendant of Teddy, whose is considered one of the Top 10 most influential International Jumping Sires, and who list of succesfull show jumping decendants goes on forever.

However, having the bloodlines does not get it done. Training and development are almost as important as the raw talent. There are great talents that never turn into anything because they are broken mentally or physically by bad training, development and management. I think Merideth and her team deserve a great deal of credit for getting him where he is, or for at least realizing the potential in him.

I think it was Steinkraus who said no horse succeeds without a partner that believes in them, and it seems to me that most of the best horses have such partners

BAC
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:07 AM
I think the truly great ones, like Shutterfly, are freaks of nature, although I doubt many riders could bring it out in him. He is definitely not an easy ride, which is a credit to Meredith's horsemanship, they are an amazing partnership.