PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Machines.. what do you make?

eqrider1234
Apr. 19, 2009, 06:28 PM
Do any of you that have sewing machines make your own stuff? I got a sewing machine for christmas that also does embroidery and I just learned how to use it so I have embroidered everything, :winkgrin: but I was thinking about making some stuff too....

So my question is what kind of stuff do you guys make and do you feel its worth it or is it just easier to buy it?

theroanypony
Apr. 19, 2009, 06:30 PM
What about polos? They wouldn't take much actual sewing, so it doesn't seem like it would be an awful lot of work. My friends tried to make a saddle pad once, they said it was the hardest thing they ever tried to do and for what saddle pads cost, it wasn't worth it.

eqrider1234
Apr. 19, 2009, 06:37 PM
yeah I think polos would be fun, but im boring I like white and black haha. I was also thinking about making the quilts. I use the white ones probably 4 or 5 times before they are too stained to use them anymore (I like things clean) and it really adds up, since its like $12 a pair plus shipping. I looked at the stitching on them and it didnt look like that much?

Twisting
Apr. 19, 2009, 06:38 PM
Growing up my mother made numerous things for me. She made a cooler once. It was pretty simple, she just bought roughly 6 yards of fleece and cut it in half. Then she attached the two peices of together at the center seam, to finish she trimmed it and sewed ties on. A cooler would be fairly easy to embroider as well.

She also made tack box covers for all the girls and curtains for my trainer as christmas gifts. Those were a little more complicated.

billiebob
Apr. 19, 2009, 06:43 PM
My mother, who happens to be an excellent seamstress, made over a saddle pad for one of the boarders at our bar for Christmas. She's also put ribbon trim on a few halters. The ribbon trim is easy for her and normally takes less than an hour but she does that by hand. The saddle pad took so much work. We took apart an existing pad and she recovered it with Christmas fabric. She reused the trim and the nylon straps. It turned out SO WELL but it was much more of a project than it seemed like it would be.

I wish I could sew. Everytime I go into a fabric or crafts store I see things that I want to make pads and coolers out of!

Kementari
Apr. 19, 2009, 06:46 PM
I mainly repair things, and save a TON of money. :yes: My blankets last far longer than they have any right to! :lol:

I've made polos, and it's not worth it. By the time you buy the fleece and decent velcro, you've spent as much or more than you would just buying 'em. And then you have to cut them - for someone who is Straight Line Cutting Impaired, this is a real problem. :winkgrin: Sewing velcro isn't the easiest thing you'll ever do, either. I've sworn never to make polos again unless I have a horse who needs "custom" ones!

I've made square coolers, too - pretty straightforward. I have a pattern to make sheets, but never got further than cutting it out, then moved, and the stuff is in storage now. So, some day...

EventFan
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:06 PM
Check out Suitability patterns for some great ideas! I've made quarter sheets, fleece shaped saddle pads, show shirts, coolers and even a fly mask.

EMR
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:36 PM
I love to sew for my girl. I've done polos, saddle pads, and pillow wraps, my trainer made a sheet for one of her horses. Also if you crochet a ear net is really simple although there aren't many patterns. Coolers are simple too, but because they're big they can be awkward.

For pillow wraps they make pre-quilted fabrics, which makes life a little easier. And don't forget to wash all fabric BEFORE you sew with it other wise you might get some shrinkage that you weren't expecting. Or just get pre-shrunk fabric but that's not always easy to find.

Some of the big craft stores send great coupons, Jo-anns used to have a 50% off coupon but now they send out a 40% off instead. And once in a blue moon when a store closes you can get AMAZING closeout deals, like Dupioni Silk for $.99 per yard. of course you HAVE to get 20 yards at that price! I'm thinking of making a sheet with a soft, nylon maybe, lining and the silk on the outside for a light weight show sheet.

Oh and what brand machine did you get? I love hearing about people's new toys!

cbiscuit
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:47 PM
For people who made coolers and blankets, what did you use for trim? For the life of me I could not find bias trim big enough to look normal, and you have to have it to go around curves, right? Solutions?

Vandy
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:48 PM
This is totally inspirational! I'd love to make cool stuff for year-end schooling series awards and XMas gifts - bet square pads are really easy...

Only HR thing I have already made is curtains in a beautiful race horse print. Definitely cheaper than buying nice curtains, and easy as can be. Got the fabric on ebay - they have some AMAZING foxhunt and racing fabrics really cheap!

Vandy
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:51 PM
For people who made coolers and blankets, what did you use for trim? For the life of me I could not find bias trim big enough to look normal, and you have to have it to go around curves, right? Solutions?I can't help you with the curves, but more than once, I've seen what I thought would be perfect cooler trim at Hobby Lobby. My local Hobby Lobby is organized quite strangely - those wider trims were in a completely separate area than the trims you'd likely use for people clothes - I believe they are considered upholstery trim and are in the upholstery section along with long fringe, pompoms, etc. I actually have a horse who'd probably prefer pompoms on his cooler - now there's an idea :lol:

mrsbradbury
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:12 PM
I make all kinds of things when I'm in the mood.

Quilts (for people), curtains, covers for objects.

I embroider pads, jackets.

I repair blankets, sheets, coolers.

I've tried clothes, but they never turn-out quite right.

Have fun, I love my machines!

eqrider1234
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:34 PM
Wow those are great ideas, I really want to make a quarter sheet, has anyone made one of those?

I got a brother se350 I really really like it, but I broke the needle on it last night :eek: and I havent had time to figure out how to put a new one on, haha. All my friends made fun of me because that is what i wanted for christmas, a rather odd present for a 16 year old haha.

I also know how to crochet, so im sure I could make a bonnet, too bad I dont do jumpers :lol:

karenrrafuse
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:36 PM
Not to hijack but... has anyone else made a truck cover? Was it a horrible disaster? I have to make one this summer.

CDNJumperGirl
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:02 PM
Square pads, girth covers, helmet covers, fly veils, boot bags, garment bags- so many things!

EventFan
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:06 PM
Are very easy! Suitability.com has a great pattern. I bought nice quality wool (as in men's suiting fabric) on a closeout, then used two layers of soutache trim (sewn together) and embroidered a fancy monogram on the hip. The soutache trim is found in the upholstry section, but if you can find a fabric discount store it's much cheaper. The girth and billet straps are made with nylon belt/type that you can buy at Walmart.

I need advice about how to do the tail cord? I'd like to make a nice one with braiding and a "frog" style decoration. Any suggestions?

mrsbradbury
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:14 AM
Not to hijack but... has anyone else made a truck cover? Was it a horrible disaster? I have to make one this summer.

Do you mean trunk? Because a truck cover is quite a job, and I wish you the best.

But seriously, a trunk cover could be rather easy. I requires you taking the trunk home and pinning. I haven't made a trunk cover, But I made a nice upholstered cover the stand out large turtle tank sits on.

I think you could easily make a nice trunk cover. PM if you want more detailed instructions.

crazy gray horse
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
I've made square pads, coolers, quarter sheets and polos - plus I repair all my own blankets. I've made 'fun' polos that my daughter gave out to her horsey friends as gifts.

It's not cheaper to make your own - but much more custom and individualized. I'm sure no one will have anything identical to mine - so it's the satisfaction of making/owning something that's unique.

Here's a picture of a cooler and matching wraps I made for my
daughter's pony.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/ringersuz/MVC-005S.jpg

And here's the pony quarter sheet.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/ringersuz/100_0212.jpg

cbiscuit
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:04 PM
Cool! What did you use for binding?

rugbygirl
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:19 PM
Oooooooooooh!

Don't groan, H/Jers :D but I am halfway through an Arabian Native Costume for myself and my gelding. ONE OF US needs to stop growing before I assemble it though, hopefully this Fall. It will definitely be an original...I ended up with a mountain of different green fabrics after travelling for 4 months in Asia, and most of it is being incorporated into this costume!

I've made slinkies (with zippers and face holes in the right places) and done Polos to match. Slinkies are a big deal on our Arabian circuit...mine was ridiculous silver-star hologram spandex, and I put the same fabric on some polos as trim. Add a tail bag, it's an easy one-night project. Making these is a lot cheaper than buying, but if you dislike working with stretchy fabrics...probably not worth the trouble.

Coolers are very simple, if you can find nylon web to use as binding, that works well. I don't use Bias tape, I pleat around the corners, or else trim points to "bend" the fabric. Upholstery supply places have GREAT stuff for tail cords too...multi colored braid and such. Suiting is often on sale in the Spring, and much of the wool suiting would make LOVELY dress sheets for Hunter.

I've bought odd-sized blankets and modified them, which can save you a bundle because the odd-sized blankets get marked down a lot at the end of the season.

There are a few ribbon/trim stores online that sell absolutely fabulous trims. Simple to add to most items, like halters, blankets, polos...and an individual touch that no one else will have! The online places are also very cheap, they seem to buy in bulk. Check out some of the Renaissance Faire-type places, they have lovely embroidered ribbons.

elio
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:21 PM
I have to ay that I do more repairs than anything else. I have commercial machines and have made little stuff like bit warmers, stirrup keepers, added "bling" to saddle pads etc and of course.....fixed blankets and sheets and coolers etc. I would like to make my own coolers....fancy with braided hips and pretty edging etc. Saddle pads are easy. A dream would be to make my own winter blankets. As I have taken many apart and put back together....you would think it was a no brainer....however....net yet!

pony4me
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:33 PM
I'd like to see "funny" saddle pads. Like "My Other Horse is at Devon". Or Spruce Meadows, or Congress (for the AQHA folks). We had a schooling show at our barn last August, and I put a "My Other Horse is at the Olympics" sign on my pony's saddle pad. It got a lot of laughs.

superpony123
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:54 PM
my mom has a nice sewing machine with embroidery functions, so i've been thinking of embroidering my initials on my baby pads, but i haven't gotten around to it :)

Savannah Blue
Oct. 3, 2011, 02:15 PM
I wish I had an embroidery machine, how convenient would that be!

MIKES MCS
Oct. 3, 2011, 02:22 PM

Do you mean a "Trunk" cover or a real pickup truck cover. I have made plenty of tack trunk covers not hard at all.

HMF
Oct. 3, 2011, 02:51 PM
I just finished my first ribbon quilt, and it was really neat to do! I am hoping to try a saddle pad in the near future and would really like to tackle a dress sheet. I was thinking I would try one with some inexpensive fabric and them move up to wool. Does anyone have any idea where to find leather buckles for the chest buckle on a dress sheet?

fordtraktor
Oct. 3, 2011, 02:54 PM
I've made square pads, coolers, quarter sheets and polos - plus I repair all my own blankets. I've made 'fun' polos that my daughter gave out to her horsey friends as gifts.

It's not cheaper to make your own - but much more custom and individualized. I'm sure no one will have anything identical to mine - so it's the satisfaction of making/owning something that's unique.

Here's a picture of a cooler and matching wraps I made for my
daughter's pony.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/ringersuz/MVC-005S.jpg

And here's the pony quarter sheet.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/ringersuz/100_0212.jpg

That quarter sheet is the cutest thing I've ever seen! Love!

moonriverfarm
Oct. 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
Easy: sew ribbon edging to a plain baby pad for a personalized finish.
Harder: make a fleece jacket for your dog
Hardest: Make a fleece sheet for your horse!

Creaghgal
Oct. 3, 2011, 05:05 PM
I made 2 denim covers for a Thinline pad. One black for every day use & a white one for show. Both complete with Velcro openings - very advanced for my skill set :D

Simbalism
Oct. 3, 2011, 11:58 PM
I have done alot of repairing with my sewing machine. I recently bought some blaze orange fleece and am planning on making quarter sheets for my horse and my best trail riding buddy's horse. I got some cool trim that is orange with reflective silver on it. I am just going to use my current quarter sheet for a rough pattern. I also recently made some bandanas in cool batik material.

oldgreypony
Oct. 4, 2011, 01:38 AM
I like to make coolers. I use nylon or polyester webbing for edging and ties. I usually make the front corners square and the rear corners rounded, so I can tell which end has ties before I unfold the whole thing. I just fold the square corner of the webbing and sew it flat, and I kind of gather the webbing around the curve. I use wool or wool blends, and I always wash the material several times before I make the cooler.

scotchie
Oct. 4, 2011, 06:39 AM
I would DIE without my sewing machine! I sew my ribbon quilts on it and it just keeps chugging along. I really need to get it serviced but can't deal with the down time!

I have also made pretty baby pads using ribbon on the edges. Add a monogram and you have great gifts that are not super expensive!

GingerJumper
Oct. 4, 2011, 08:26 AM
My eternally talented and patient mother is making my shad, in the event I ever actually need one, and lots and lots of saddle pads/baby pads. We're debating making a quarter sheet, too :) Plus, we can do embroidery and whatnot with the machine.

red mares
Oct. 4, 2011, 08:34 AM
I have made darn near everything on my machine, most of it on the $100 wal-mart special. I finally upgraded it last year!

I have made: coolers, shoulder sweats, numerous blanket repairs, curtains & drapes (pinch pleats!), pillows, trunk covers, skirts, pants, shorts, etc., etc, etc.

I don't have an embroidery machine; for $6 I can get almost anything done at the trophy shop up the street. For that, it's not worth the $$$ to get a super wham-o-dyne machine.

My biggest compliment was this past weekend, someone looked at the codura cover I'd made for my jog cart and thought I'd bought it. :)

For anyone looking for trims - Seattle Fabrics (http://www.seattlefabrics.com/ ) has the "real" blanket bindings in a number of colors, as well as blanket hardware.

Oliver18
Oct. 4, 2011, 08:58 AM
Making things for years love it and cuts costs. Saddle pads ,baby pads,saddle covers . A friend make the saddle covers I don't have the patience to thread the elastic. Recently during the hurricane I made blanket covers for the stall. I like the look neat and clean ! The key is finding fabric on sale or repurpose another item . Also invest in a shuger its just easier then French seams !

Also was and repair my own blankets . If I need to I customize them as well .

Lostboy
Oct. 4, 2011, 11:35 AM
I have a regular sewing machine and a serger..I would REALLY love a commercial machine for doing leather and really heavy stuff. I don't actually have time or interest to make new things but I do occasional repairs.
At one time I did make a barn full of matching saddle dust covers, a few trunk covers (for non matching trunks)and a couple matching clothes bags and I can make chaps because I used to like all the interesting ones when chaps were in style.
I measure stuff and just freehand a pattern for anything I would want to make.

Tap2Tango
Oct. 4, 2011, 01:18 PM
Keep in mind, it may seem cheaper to make it, but once you plan it out, it can actually be cheaper to buy it. This doesn't go for everything obviously. Saddle pads are relatively easy to make. Depending on what you want for a trunk cover, it is probably easier to just buy it. My mom is extremely talented when it comes to sewing. She smocks, does seamstress work, quilts and embroiders. (She actually made my first communion dress and HAND embroidered it! The church ladies went nuts over it. Of course at the time I had no clue how much time and effort went into it!) Anyway...A few years back I wanted a tack trunk cover. After telling her everything I wanted, quilted padded top, zipper for the lid, and made of sunbrella she said she would rather just buy it!

What type of machine did you get? Make sure you go to an authorized dealer to get it serviced. These things can be $$$ but as long as you are nice to them, they last a long time...unless you are like my mother who insists on trading in everytime a new model comes out! ;)

SidesaddleRider
Oct. 4, 2011, 02:21 PM
For those of you who repair your blankets, what type of machine and needle are you using? I have a sewing machine, and would LOVE to be able to repair my own blankets/sheets, but I don't know if mine is heavy-duty enough to do so, and I don't want to break it.

Tap2Tango
Oct. 4, 2011, 02:39 PM
For those of you who repair your blankets, what type of machine and needle are you using? I have a sewing machine, and would LOVE to be able to repair my own blankets/sheets, but I don't know if mine is heavy-duty enough to do so, and I don't want to break it.

For big holes in the middle of a blanket, my mom would do it by hand with dental floss (super strong) and big needles. These were stay at home turnout blankets though. Show sheets and bakers need more care.

StellaTMK
Oct. 6, 2011, 11:25 PM

I have repaired heavyweight winter blankets on my regular Kenmore machine. Get the heavier needles and you are all set. The main thing is jamming all that material with in the area of the arm of the machine, rolling the blanket is your best bet.

I have made blankets, quarter sheets, trunk covers, saddle pads, baby pads, saddle covers, historic & modern riding habits (sidesaddle), tack hangers, ribbon trimed halters, director chair covers, and lots more. I never can find dressage pads or babypads that fit right for my sidesaddle so I have deisgned a pattern and made them myself.

You can even customize a number of things by choosing a ribbon or material and adding it to plain polo's, halters, saddle pads, bridle bags, web stall guards, and pretty much anything else you can either stitch or glue and you have a custom set that looks great together.

hntrjmprpro45
Oct. 6, 2011, 11:55 PM
I am working on stall drapes right now. I ordered some fun sunbrella fabrics to use and am planning on making them fairly unique. I'm going to use a paisley print as an accent trim. Then we will have them embroidered by a professional (my sewing abilities stop at simple seams).

I would LOVE to be able to make my own show jackets. I would have some killer custom tweed ones if I could!

Creaghgal
Oct. 7, 2011, 07:56 AM
Do you have a heavy duty machine for the Sunbrella material? I tried to do a Directors Chair with Sunbrella but my machine wasn't up to the task :sadsmile:

StellaTMK
Oct. 7, 2011, 10:55 AM
Do you have a heavy duty machine for the Sunbrella material? I tried to do a Directors Chair with Sunbrella but my machine wasn't up to the task :sadsmile:

I use my regular machine for the sunbrella, but a new heavy duty needle every time, and reduce the thread tension if your thread is breaking.

I have found an 'outdoor canvas' from Joannes that is a little easier to work with and has a few more fun patterns availiable. It may not hold up to the sun as sunbrella over time but I don't use it for awnings exposed to afternoon sun everyday. It makes a great ensemble of saddle cover, stall guard, director chair, totebag, grooming apron, and whatever else you can dream up.

ParadoxFarm
Oct. 7, 2011, 04:50 PM
Great ideas. I notice quite of few of you do make tack trunk covers. Does anyone have a "how-to" for this? Would love to make one for my Stanley trunk to dress it up a little bit.

sadlmakr
Oct. 11, 2011, 05:39 PM
I use an old Singer heavy iron sewing machine to do all my heavy sewing on.
It is all cast iron and with a #20 needle it works great. Most of the dressmaker sewing machines are too light weight and some have plastic gears. Those are not heavy enough to work on canvas and heavy weight materials.
I found one of mine a a yard sale for $20.00. Yes it is old but it works great.
There are patterns from Suitability.com for all kinds of horse oriented sewing projects. From habits to stall curtains.
They are not difficult, just takes time.
sadlmakr

mojo7777
Oct. 11, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to make an Ecogold knock off, with movable velcro wither pads. The idea is to put velcro on all my favorite square pads and then switch the wither pads off when I need to wash. I used some memory foam from a contour pad (too thick to use with my saddle) to make the wither pads. Trying it out in just a few minutes! :yes:

bluebuckets
Oct. 11, 2011, 07:50 PM
I have made 2 coolers, 2 crown "fuzzies" for my bridle, and a tail bag, and have fixed saddle pads. Haven't done polo wraps because they are pretty cheap, and the mare needs special square pads (grrrrr) so I haven't tried to make those either. (The whole wither relief/padding thing along with quilting seems too hard.) Don't do my own embroidery because the embroidery shop at the horse show does a beautiful job of the barn's logo.

ParadoxFarm
Oct. 11, 2011, 09:33 PM
I dusted off my Singer this weekend and repaired FOUR turnout sheets that have been in my closer for the past year. Thanks for the motivation! I'm not skilled but I got them all done. Yay!

rugbygirl
Oct. 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
reduce the thread tension if your thread is breaking

Also make sure that you're using the super-heavy duty nylon or canvas thread. Some people neglect thread quality, especially when they first start sewing, but for other people it's a big "duh." In my area, to find even decent tailoring thread...you're at a specialty store. The regular fabric stores stock a million colours of cheap polyester CRAP. Finding heavy-duty thread for horsey projects can be tough, I usually order online. I can do two layers of what I think "sunbrella" is on my basic Singer machine, with a heavy duty needle, quality thread, and a slightly slowed stitch speed. I've added zippers between layers of that fabric too, but I need to move the needle using the handwheel to get through the very thickest parts. It is probably not good for my machine :sigh:

I made an entire Arabian horse Native Costume on my machine, which is relevant to this forum only because it shows that you can make complicated but horse-tough items with a very basic, inexpensive machine.

I also do a lot of alterations...I lost 50 lbs last winter, so NONE of my breeches stay up. It's pretty simple to take in a pair of side-zips at the waist and hip...even if they don't look great, at least you can use them for schooling. It's super easy to take in front-zip breeches, although I re-attach the belt loops by hand. I take out sleeves on jackets, tuck in the waist line by changing the darts, I'm even thinking of putting a fresh lining in my favourite grey coat.

Saddle covers and slinkies are cheaper to make, especially if you keep an eye out for sales on the fabrics. I like making my own slinkies because I put zippers in them, where I want zippers, and I can satisfy my compulsive need to have matching/coordinating sets of things. Yep, if you look hard enough you can find tastefully Hunter-green patterned spandex to coordinate with your fly sheet.

I also make a lot of stuff for my trailer, which is a gooseneck/tack room...that I've turned into a tack room/living space. Horsey themed quilt and window coverings were quick for the sleeping space, and I also made large partition curtains to separate the tack area, as well as some garment bags and totes that use all the same colours to make pretty storage. I also made some cushions and ottoman-type things that can be pulled anywhere for spots to sit.

By far the biggest and most economical use of my sewing machine and two years of Home Economics (grade 7 AND grade 10) is in repairing horse items. I can't sew all the way through heavy nylon webbing or a winter turnout, but I can repair blankets in parts, re-attach ears to fly masks, make the neck holes fit scrawny-shouldered youngsters (darts used to good effect here) and attach badging or patches.

I'm currently thinking of an embroidery machine...probably because I love needlepoint and am finishing a RIDICULOUS piece right now after five years and the thought of automatic pretty embroidery makes me giddy...