PDA

View Full Version : funny things your horses do

findlymine
Apr. 18, 2009, 11:44 PM
Thought I would ask what other peoples horses do that is funny

my 2 lick ny hand and arm and the other 1 will pick up water bottles off the ground and hold it there

Paint Hunter/Jumper
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:06 AM
Mine likes to lick me and my clothes. He also loves vitamin water (preferrably the yellow one) and gatorade (preferrably the purple one)! He also follows you around everywhere. He's pretty much a really big dog :lol:

Individualblue07
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:07 AM
Aww Cute!!!

When im in our ring, if there is a can or anything on the ground... he will literally kick it around the entire ring just because its fun. lol And he'll follow me around the barn without a lead on... i dont have to worry because he wont leave my side : )

He also LOVES to eat my hair :winkgrin:, but the second I make a noise he'll stop and make sure im ok. He's amazing :yes:

OHHH and i FORGOT!!! Whenever we go on trails I make him stop at the stop signs... he looks both ways and then goes! I've been told the reason we get along so well is because were both a little crazy. lol

theroanypony
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:08 AM
My pony loves to lick me. On the hand, head, face, hair, shoulders, back, anywhere. He also loves to lick walls, stall doors, blanket bars, anything? He has a salt lick, so I don't understand this obsession. He also plays with blankets, um I guess the correct word would 'rip'. He's a strange pony, with many quirks.

heartinrye
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:33 AM
My jumper eats everything! And when he's done, he sticks out his tongue and sucks on it :) He follows me everywhere sans lead and nickers when I call him!

My new horse, I just found out, likes to sniff hair and put his nose on top of your ear, it hilarious!! Oh and he loves supplements, even without food, its strange!!!!

Horseymama
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:51 AM
When my TB is a little fresh, he does the Spanish walk. I never taught him this, nor did anyone else. He's like an Andalusian in a TB's body! Better than bucking me off!

HARROLDhasmyheart
Apr. 19, 2009, 01:07 AM
:) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30390107&l=c1235cd4e0&id=1044030002

Harrold was also TERRIFIED of the light-up (wire) reindeer that sat on the lawn outside his stall during the holiday's. When it moved it's head/moved at all, he would practically book it to the back of his stall. Such a goober :)

saitou_amaya
Apr. 19, 2009, 01:35 AM
My boy sits like a dog. Its just comforable for him. I swear, at least once a week when I am at the barn someone will go up to me and say "I saw your horse out in then pasture just sitting there" and I'm like I know, he is a weirdo...
Also, this gets kind of annoying, but he likes to snuggle so he will put his head on my shoulder and rest it there. Especially annoying when I'm trying to braid!!!

spmoonie
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:48 AM
I am almost convinced my pony understands english. If he is not 100% fluent, he is most definitely around 50%. For example, one day I was riding out in the pasture at my old barn. There were two gates in the pasture, one to the front of the barn and one to the back. Well I was letting him walk on a free rein to cool him off and he started heading to the back gate. Then I told him, "No Moonie, the back gate is locked. We have to go to the other one." He turned right around with absolutely NO signals, communication( other than verbal), whatsoever and walked to the other gate then stopped in front of it. There are also Many other occasions of stuff like this.:D

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 19, 2009, 11:03 AM
Haha spmoonie I swear my horse understands english sometimes too! My horse is obsessed with cat food, and will break out of his stall to steal the barn cats' food:lol:. He also likes to cross his front legs over and over if he's been standing in a cross tie for more than like 20 minutes, and once he actually fell over!:winkgrin:

heygirlhey33
Apr. 19, 2009, 11:31 AM
My horse in turn out on regular days runs across the arena in perfect figure eights, and practices his changes.

On a windy windy day, he decided that he was an arabian thuroughbred hackney combo, after 20 minutes of galloping arround as i just sit there and laugh at him, he walks to me at the gate, grabs his lead and throws it over my arm and put his head on my shoulder, saying mommy im all done now, lets go home.

Also in turn out he runs straight at the mirror,stares at himself, snorts and rears and runs away from the 'other horse' He always stares at himself in the mirror durring indoor lessons as well, with an amazement for how cute he is.

The other day after jumping the last line of a course, he jumps (not bucks, but in perfect hunter form) jumps four feet in the air over a sunbeam from the windows thats on the ground. He treated it like a real jump, It was absolutely hilarious. Next time around, exact same thing, even when we trotted at the end.

In hacks, as soon as the announcer begins with the results, he tries to walk out in first (and recently weve had unfortunate hacks, getting cut off, having a horse kick at him etc.) so when I stop him from going out in the wrong order, he always pins his ears, swings his head around and gives me an emo look, and pouts till hes called.

And last but not least. There is a series of pictures of him at WEF scratching his but against a palm tree right before a hack, then turning and trying to eat it. Did I mention my horse is special? Wow that was long, but my forever horse is quite 'special'

indygirl2560
Apr. 19, 2009, 11:55 AM
During lessons, most people put their water bottle on the rail and a certain horse at my barn will come by and knock them all off. He also tries to snatch pieces of bushes while being ridden too! And if you give my friend's horse a water bottle, he'll tip it up and drink out of it!

My friend's pony is special too! When everyone is gathered in the center of the arena listening to my trainer, she'll look and the horse next to her and perk her ears up. Then she'll act all cute and friendly to reel the other horse in and bam! she'll pin her ears and snort right in their face! She'll a funny old grump. She also finds it amusing to snort on my trainer's daughter whenever she's around too!

lplotkina
Apr. 19, 2009, 11:56 AM
:lol:
My horse, Pedro, likes to have his teeth "brushed" when he has his face brushed. I run the brush along his teeth and he flaps his lips happily. This game goes on until he says enough, by opening his teeth just a little and biting on the end of the bristles gently.

zahena
Apr. 19, 2009, 01:30 PM
My TB loves to play tug of war with cones. We put dressage cones out in the arena for the kids to use in their lessons and in turn-out he'll grab it, bonk someone on the head with it, and force them to play tug of war. My BM thinks its hysterical and calls me to tell me.

He also likes to stick his LONG neck out his door, twist his head sideways so he's as long as pony possible to try and get a treat. You can put them in his bucket but he refuses to eat them until you actually feed them to him HIS way.

We have a filly in our barn who stands on the 3rd step of our mounting block and plays king of the hill. Same horse also loves to bare her teeth, put them on your neck and LEAN all her weight into you. Takes a little trust since she's a little light in the mind sometimes. and the feeling of cold hard pony teeth on your neck is a little unsettling but she hasn't bitten me yet!

damecheval
Apr. 19, 2009, 03:51 PM
I used to ride a horse that would suck on the little button on my velvet helment before a show. I guess he got nervous, too. :lol: A lot the horses that I ride like to lick my hand and drink lemonade vitamin water and red gatorade.

3 is the limit
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:02 PM
My 5 year old TB loves to pick up his jolly ball with his mouth and smack himself in the face with it. Pretty funny stuff.:lol:

Oliver4Ever
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:25 PM
Well one of my ponies bites my foot if I do something wrong!:yes::lol:

The other one can take of his blanket and roll it up in a ball!(In the pasture):eek::yes:

woodhillsmanhattan
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:43 AM
My new horse is a complete goofball. He enjoys sucking on peppermints rather than actually eating them. Its really cute actually. You can hear him and his tounge sort of sticks out :). In the field he likes to get COMPLETELY in his water trough. I mean all 4 feet. And he isn't exactly a small creature (16.3h and growing). When there are puddles in his field he makes a zig-zag patter to get around them to come to me at the gait. I don't know if this is funny but he comes to me when I whistle. He also enjoys licking everything and knocking over water bottles on the fence. Now I have only had him for about a month so I am sure I havn't even caught on to every little silly thing he does. Got to love 'em

drawreins
Apr. 20, 2009, 06:52 AM
My gelding was standing ringside at a horse show, stuck his head in the garbage can, pulled out a banana peel, and proceeded to eat it. Everyone around was hysterical. :lol:

Fireangel
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:22 AM
I had a 16.3 DWB that we bred and raised. He was an oversized lap dog. First he had to have everything in his mouth. He once found a twenty foot piece of flexible pipe and I looked out. One end in his mouth and he was lunging himself.

Before shows we would turn him out in our fenced in back yard to stay clean. Well I had a swing set in there also. He got the swing stuck on top of his head and he just stood there until someone came and took it off of him. He also in that same back yard walked up the Handi Cap ramp to the back porch and was looking in the glass sliding door at everyone!

He also ate the end of my crop off in the middle of showing in hand and I was trying to find the flapper and get all the string out of his mouth. This one horse gave me years of funny stories.

Go Fish
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:25 PM
My gelding does a tap dance in his stall when he sees my truck pull up. My mare likes to hang her tongue out between the bars of her stall so someone can put a peppermint on it. It looks really funny - you look down the barn aisle and there's this tongue hanging out.

SimonandGus
Jan. 25, 2010, 09:15 PM
We have this one mare at the barn who is always on a mission to be on the greener side of the fence. The funniest being having her head stuck in the fence for a least 30minutes or more with 3 people trying to get her out! Nobody realized she even was stuck until we decided to go see if she was! Standing calmly we had to twist her head side ways and out to unstick her, all because she decided to graze on the wrong side of the fence. Even with an electic wire at the top of the boards, she braved it to get some nice grass.

3 is the limit
Jan. 25, 2010, 09:42 PM
i recently turned my wb gelding and 6 year old samoyed out in the big ring.

at first, the dog was chasing the horse and they were having a great time. the horse was kicking up his heals and the dog had a huge smile on his face.

after about 5 minutes of this, they were both tired and took a little breather. that is when the horse picked up his head, looked at the dog and decided to chase him!

dog came RUNNING out of the ring.:lol: horse runs up to the fence screaming for the dog to come back and keep playing.

colleen9
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:30 PM
A mare I know loves the top of her rump to get scratched, She licks everything within reach when you do so.

A pony I once knew loved to eat paper. At shows no one can check the schedule around him, he will steal the paper and attempt to eat it. Those paper cups for drinking? He eats those too!

Gray Horse H/J
Jan. 25, 2010, 10:55 PM
My horse was turned out in an indoor ring once, and another horse had smushed the Jolly Ball that was left in the ring into a pancake. My horse grabbed it by the handle and was whipping it up and down as hard as he could - and thwacking himself in the face with it repeatedly. It was very funny, but I finally had to go take it away from him as he is also kind of accident prone, and I was having visions of him whacking his eyeball and blinding himself or something.

He likes to help in the washrack - by picking up the bucket, or the shampoo bottle, or the sweat scraper...

He's also a big-time hair sniffer.

Trees4U
Jan. 26, 2010, 08:38 AM
When its too cold/ icy to turnout, I put him in the indoor and if there are jumps set up he walks over to them and knocks them down. Methodically- poles first then standards. He is a retired show hunter- do you think he's trying to tell me something? :winkgrin:

I used to have one that snuffled my hair but I think he liked my mousse..

Peggy
Jan. 26, 2010, 10:15 AM
Star also "helps" in the wash rack by removing the sweat scraper from its hook, pulling the lead rope off its hook (both of these involve twisting upward).

He has turned on the sprinklers in the turnout so he could play in them.

His latest trick involves wardrobe selection. He doesn't seem to need/want a lot of blanket. Assistant approaches with mid-weight blanket. He pins ears and hides in corner. Assistant leaves stall and returns with lighter weight blanket and hold it up for his approval. He walks over and sticks his neck in it. He seems to be about as good at predicting what the overnite T° will be as the professional weather forecasters are.

analise
Jan. 26, 2010, 10:22 AM
When we're riding, if we halt for more than 1.234556 seconds, my guy gets bored and starts flapping his lips together. This is going to make "halt at X, salute" awkward at the dressage show we're going to this weekend, LOL. I guess I could claim that's his way of saluting the judge!

pwrpfflynn
Jan. 26, 2010, 12:26 PM
If my horse (a 9yo 1/2 Arab/NSH)was a human he would be Dennis the Menace. The other day when I was picking out his front feet he gave me a weggie. He also likes to start at the back of your knee with his mouth and run it all the way down to your shoe then try and like on them. He is into everything all the time. His mouth is like a human hand. He will untie anybody he can and drag anything in his stall that gets close. He also does the front leg crossing thing in the cross ties too. He has more personality than any horse I have ever owned. I love him!!

WB Mom
Jan. 26, 2010, 01:54 PM
In addition to lots of other cool stuff, he's pretty much a neat freak.
He HATES to step in horse poop and will do everything possible not to, including jumping over it. He only poops in the back corner of his stall and usually waits to pee until we are walking to the outdoor to ride. He his very own pee spot out there. My trainer has mentioned many times that his stall gets too dry.
We have officially determined him to be a 'metro' kind of guy.
His breeder told me he is just like his mom, very prim and proper!

AppendixQHLover
Jan. 26, 2010, 02:02 PM
When I am braiding him and have the strings on his halter. He will stick his tongue out and try to grab it. Now I put them around my neck...

One horse at the barn likes to lick with the underside of his tongue and loves to lick your front. I have been many colors of red with some of the comments that come out.

Another one likes to play with zippers..

The same one that licks with the underside of the tongue plays with my hair.

My old horse..used to play with the farriers pants. He gave him a wedgie and he decided to just wait for me instead of cross-ties.

barngirl
Jan. 26, 2010, 02:07 PM
My guy loves fruit punch gatorade.. no other flavor. if he sees the bottle he will beg for it.. he makes a really cute face... stretching his neck out and puts his ears forward and all but bats his eyelashes at you! Only down side is he is a grey and it makes his muzzle all red... so I have to be carefull at shows as to when i give it to him! :)

He also whinnys like a girl...a high pitched weanling whinny and he is 15!!! everyone who has heard him laughs and can't believe its him.. i just say i love him.. girlie whinny and all!!!

johnnysauntie
Jan. 26, 2010, 02:12 PM
mine loves playing ball (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUXHHaXMHx0).

and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iP263nX-rE), he's 'dribbling' like a soccer player

Shadbelly
Jan. 26, 2010, 04:02 PM
At our barn we have bars on the stalls that have that nice, convenient 6"x6" cut-out hole to drop the feed into the buckets. My guy will back his butt up to that spot and poop out of the stall. He doesn't want a dirty room!

He will stop dead in his tracks at the sound of a peppermint wrapper. I'm pretty sure he'd sell his soul for a peppermint.:yes:

He also likes to shake his head at me if I miss a distance to a fence or ask for a change too early. He doesn't buck or kick and he doesn't want your help with the lead change either! He pins his ears and shakes his head, if he speak he would say "Gosh mom! you're making me look bad!" :lol:

Shadbelly
Jan. 26, 2010, 04:05 PM
I also watched another horse at our barn gently nuzzling on one of the mom's. And he grapped the string on her halter top and un-tied it!! Luckily she caught her top before she flashed us all :eek: but it was REALLY funny!!

AmandaandTuff
Jan. 26, 2010, 04:12 PM
My old gelding would back up to you and demand a butt scratching.

tpup
Jan. 26, 2010, 04:14 PM
My Appy is mischevious to say the least. He will knock things over (water bottles, cameras) I used to try to video tape myself riding...I'd set the camera up on the rail or on a barrel and he knocks it over every time.

He will also take a bite out of feed bags if they are stacked and we walk by...and he is FAST. Like, "Snatch!" Bag rips and feed starts pouring out. A few times he mis-took a bag of shavings for feed, LOL....wasn't too happy with the mouthful he got!

He recently picked up a plastic lawn chair THROUGH his stall dutch door and pulled it into his stall. His dutch door faces the barn "porch" where there is a little white table and chairs. Barn owner walks past at feeding time. My horse is in stall quiet. Few minutes later she walks past, and the white chair is just sitting in there in the middle of his stall.

My horse also LOVES my watch's leather band. He licks it and looks for it. He LOVES a sip of iced tea out of my cupped hand on a hot day.

He LOVES bananas and will take one over an apple any day. If he smells or sees one, forget it.

And he HATES when I wear hats - especially my winter sherpa hat with braids, LOL. Gives me the evil eye and head toss.

jewll27
Jan. 26, 2010, 06:02 PM
My old gelding would back up to you and demand a butt scratching.

both mine and his neighbor, a big WB, do this! :lol:

Mine also is addicted to mud! He went out in the rain yesterday and rolled a glorious roll that got his blanket soaked and him coated in mud where the blanket isnt covering him. Today I get to the barn and his other side is coated, his mane was in dreadlocks, and the mud was all up under his blanket on his back legs. When he doesnt get to roll in the mud, he comes in all grumpy :)

JumpingForJoy
Jan. 26, 2010, 07:08 PM
My yearling will give kisses even though I have not taught him to do so. He does it is a greeting but he most especially does it whenever he wants reassurance, which is a crack up.

My new horse is just a complete ham. He follows you around like a dog and lives for apple treats. He was taught by his previous owner to nod his head so he is *constantly* bobbing his head every time I see him.

And my mare will fall fast asleep standing up with her head draped over my shoulder if I stroke her head. She will then wake up nickering. This same mare will also nicker constantly after I dismount only if she feels she did a good job during the ride - if she doesn't feel she did so, she will be completely silent!

They are all sweethearts... I love them all!

indygirl2560
Jan. 26, 2010, 07:17 PM
My lease horse will come when I call him, lick everything in sight, avoid even the tiniest puddles(even though he's not afraid of water, he'll still dodge little puddles), knows the word "cookie" and then will do anything to get one. When I go in the pasture or his stall to get him, he'll search my pockets for cookies. My old pony used to carry things for me! I'd give her a crop, jacket, water bottle, etc and she'd carry it in her mouth! It was hilarious since she wouldn't chew on any of it, just hold it in her mouth and follow me around until I'd grab it and she'd gently let go!

ivy62
Jan. 26, 2010, 07:41 PM
My horse is the barn clown... He pulled my old farriers ponytail and snapped her bra strap! He plays tug o'war with anythng, hose, halters, lead lines and tails! Plays with dog toys too! especially those that squeak!