PDA

View Full Version : How Many Divisons?

HunterObsession
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:10 PM
Just curious, how many divisions does your horse normally show at per show?

Mine normally does 2 divisions, but he does 3 every once in a while.

theroanypony
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:13 PM
My pony does two divisions each day we're at a show. He's not in good enough shape to do anymore than that.

neigh.neigh
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:14 PM
Depends on the height of the jumps, how many days the show is and your horse. I do the 3'6" and i've done 2 divisions max (hunters and eq) at a one day show

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:32 PM
depends on the show. If it's a one day show, i'm only doing one division (children's hunter, which usually has 3 o/f and an u/s at a one day show--i don't do the classics at one day shows, generally) and then i'll do the children's medal (one class)

if i'm at a week-long show, it really depends. I'll do a very low (2' or 2'3") schooling unrated division earlier in the week -- NOT on a friday, though. a tues/weds/thurs kind of thing. usually these are only one-day divisions. i only do one of these. then i give my pony the day after that off, since it's usually a wednesday or thursday division. if it's on wednesday, i'll hack my pony for a little while on friday to get him ready for the children's on saturday and sunday. usually theres a few pony eq classes/medals there too, but theyre not generally their own divison (except at HITS).

So basically, i stick to a tops of 2 divisons at a week long show, with classics and medals thrown in. I never do more than four jumping classes a day.

gbnuk96
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
DD usually does two (2) divisions plus an EQ OF/Flat and the (local) medal.

B

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:57 PM
I never show my horse in more than two division, usually just one. I really hate the thought of ever-working my horse, although 2-3 divisions are probably not over-working lol:D. Also, I find that if most horses (unless they are really hot) are ridden in more than two divisions, they don't perform as well as they would. When i ride my horse in three divisions, I find that rails tend to come down more often and his front end isn't as snappy.

toxicity
Apr. 18, 2009, 10:51 PM
I do three divisions a show, 2'6" Green Hunter, 3' Junior Hunter, 3' Junior Equitation, and a 3' Medal, at both one day and two/three day shows. That's six jumping classes and three flat classes. Sometimes I add a warm-up class if the jumps look especially spooky, but I can usually do without it. My horse is young and in shape and he doesn't feel overworked even at the end of the day, trotting off the trailer. Dork. :winkgrin:

hideyourheart03
Apr. 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
Really, really depends on the horse, the rider, and the height. This is what I have generally seen at 'A'/'AA' shows.

Eq horses often do class after class, schooling in the hunter and jumper rings because their riders need to be perfect. They'll do warm-ups with the Pro maybe on Tues/Wed, warm-ups with the kid on Fri, then show all weekend in the Medal classes. A normal schedule for an Eq horse consists of Medal, Maclay, WIHS Hunter, WIHS Jumper, USET, and occassionally one to two other medals or the age group stuff. This schedule lightens up as the qualifying year progresses because riders will stop doing the Medal/Maclay/USET as they qualify.

Green hunters will normally either do one division with a pro (either rated working hunter or some sort of schooling division) or one division with a pro and then one with a junior or ammy on the weekends. Made nice hunters can sometimes get away with one division on the weekend with their owner.

Jumpers is a totally different story. Most of the jumpers I know that do the Child/Adult height (L3) don't do more than one class a day on the weekends, so probably a total of 3 classes all week. The Junior/AO jumpers that I've worked with normally only do Friday and Sunday to save up for the classic.

Really depends on the situation though...

HobbyHorse101
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:09 PM
Depends on which horse, on the pony she does the pony hunters then goes and plays jumpers at 2'6" for fun so 2 there, the 3'6" horse does two Huters and Eq., my childrens just does one, and the two greenies do baby greens and play 2'6" to all together a whooping total of 7 divisions. If they all go and normal just one or two go.

Triplicate
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:15 PM
After they get to know the drill mine only do one division. No warm ups unless they are coming back from a long rest or injury.
Why do more? When they are fresh and interested they jump better, are happy and stay sound longer.
When they show too much and too often they start to rub the jumps and limp.

shawneeAcres
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:04 PM
My students usually do one division with a warmup, and one EQ "division" flat and O/F. Sometimes on a real greenie that needs more miles or some other specific reason a hrose may do two hunter divisions, but not a normal thing. Horses only have so many jumps in them is what I have always believed and I try not to overdo it!

dghunter
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:16 PM
We usually do one warm up then a division including the u/s. When we move up we'll also be doing an eq medal.

supershorty628
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:24 PM
One division consisting of 3 classes and a classic. Sometimes we'll do a level class the day before the division starts, in which case I don't do the class the day before the classic.

Jumper6252
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:34 PM
If it's a one day then one division which usually has 2 or 3 o/f and a flat. Then I do one or two medals.
At a multiple day it's about the same because there will be 4 o/f split between two days and then 2 medal classes and a hunter classic. Sometimes I'll do a low jumper class just for fun in the beginning of the week.

Pirateer
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:38 PM
My last two horses did 3 divisions in a 4 day show. A warmup hunter division the first day, then the AA Eq on day (2 o/f, 1 flat) and the AA Hunters (3 o/f, 1 flat). My mare also did the 2'6 eq/hunters with her kid at the same shows I did the AAs, but still came out ready to keeping jumping (TBs...you know how they are)

gg4918
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:43 PM
Doing 3 divisions at gstate...well maybe 4?
Adult eq (2 classes)
1 Class of level 4 jumpers
Low Jr/AO
USET class

Equitate.
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:51 PM
One :D, sometimes 2
But including jump off rounds, it's really a lot of trips

DMK
Apr. 24, 2009, 04:25 PM
I generally stick to as little as possible, and my rule of thumb is no more than 3 divisions over 2 weeks, meaning if the horse is young and getting a pro ride, either me (ammy) or the pro will not go one week. It's not a hard and fast rule, if the horse needs more at that show and he's not got another show after the immediate 2 week cycle, they you just got to do what you gotta do, then go home and do more homework. But in general I think that is a schedule that keeps a horse sound, fresh and enjoying his job. It's been a while since I had had a young one so with my older horse its generally just his division, a classic and a warm up class, if he's been showing regularly, chances are we will skip the warm up class on Friday as well (although I will do a quick school in the ticketed ring to make sure we both still remember our jobs - he's usually good, I'm usually the one in need of a reminder :rolleyes: )

My pet peeve is pounding them around in too many pointless classes and unrated divisions and if you do it, don't think people don't notice and talk about it! There's a gloriously insane alcoholic name dropper around here that was (in)famous for putting her horse in every class she could enter him in for a while. It got to the point where people three states away were checking the results and talking about it. You just don't want to be that person...