PDA

View Full Version : Baby Pads!

theroanypony
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:31 PM
What's your favorite baby pad? Mainly just wondering; which hold up the best, and which fall apart the fastest?

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:02 PM
Bevals! i love mine. great quality for great price. I've got several. Probably five or six of them. they hold up quite well. i usually get a bunch each year at the beval sale, cause i'll save a couple of dollars. Not much, but i might save like $3.00 (hey, money is money, right?) since they're not that expensive to begin with ($7 i think). They are the basic baby pads, quilted, solid colors (white, black, hunter, navy), no fancy trim or piping, you fold it over, there are no billets, etc.

If you want the cheap simple fold-over kind in some color, I also have a baby pad by Roma which comes in fun colors. I have a pretty light blue one with chocolate brown stitching and trim. it's a fun punch of color. i would buy more because the colors are so pretty (light pink and brown, yellow and blue, etc.) but i do not need any more saddle pads!! (im definitely a saddle-pad junkie) that one was also cheap, $9 i think :yes:

there are also plenty of more expensive baby pads, if you want the thin-ness but need billets, dover makes some nice ones, as well as wilkers, i believe. those might be in the $10-20 range, though. lettia also makes REALLY cute ones with trim and embroidery, but those are about $20 and i'm too cheap to spend that much on a baby pad.

sooner
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:06 PM
I am particular to the ones made by Toklat. They are a bit more substantial and therefore wear extremely well. I've had a bit of a problem with the lighter ones rolling up under the fleece pad.

BeastieSlave
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:17 PM
Dover's!!! I love that they are shaped a bit to be more comfortable for those high-withered beasties :yes:

IsolaBella09
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:39 PM
I'm not a huge fan of baby pads in general, but I like the ones made by Dover and by Bevals. Both are great.

Lou-Lou
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:11 PM
I use Bevals. I have...several. They tend to accumulate because they are so affordable. They're nice, though.

Pbo1273
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:37 PM
bevals!!

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:51 PM
I haven't tried any brands except Bevals and I love mine! They're only 10 dollars at my local tack boutique-shop and they hold up really well. I buy the black ones because they look really good on my chestnut and don't show nasty sweat marks. Also, I can just throw them in the washer and dryer and they never change.:)

JenRose
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
I love Lettia baby pads, especially the shaped ones. I always get mine from SmartPak and they do the cutest embroidery. :cool:

LookinSouth
Apr. 18, 2009, 09:16 PM
Dover's!!! I love that they are shaped a bit to be more comfortable for those high-withered beasties :yes:

I agree. I have several baby pads from Dover and I think they have held up great.

tyedyecommando
Apr. 18, 2009, 09:38 PM
I like the ones from Dover that come in the 3 pack. They are softer than most and hold up well.

JB
Apr. 18, 2009, 11:19 PM

Amen. And, not even just the high-withered beasties - normal baby pads are flat flat flat, horse's backs aren't.

Paint Hunter/Jumper
Apr. 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
I love Lettia baby pads, especially the shaped ones. I always get mine from SmartPak and they do the cutest embroidery. :cool:

I LOVE Lettia baby pads! I don't really like saddle pads anymore since I've started using these baby pads. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!! They are really easy to wash and great to ride in.

Individualblue07
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:12 AM

Im going to have to agree with this!!!! I LOVE Lettia!!! I've had mine for 2 years... and it still doesnt have a thread out of place! Plus, I have the whale embroidery on it... and because its SOOO cute I ended up getting the matching Garmet bag, Boot Bag, Saddle Cover, and Bridle bag! hahahaha

My next one im getting is the piggie one! :lol:

Aubreyyy
Apr. 19, 2009, 02:22 AM
I HATE folding pads over- underneath and it rubs the horse, over top and it looks like crap!

Love the Dover ones, and the Smartpak ones! Hate Roma, b/c they're the fold-over kind.

mom23monkeys
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:58 AM
please excuse my ignorance (I'm still learning-new to all this), but what exactly is the purpose of a baby pad? I'm guessing they are for using with half pads? Just wondering cause nobody at the barn I'm at uses them...

JB
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:41 AM
Baby pads are quite thin, and are mostly used, IME, for keeping a half pad clean. When I was using a Saddleright pad, that plus a regular pad was TOO much, but I didn't want to put the wool right on my horse's back (didn't want to worry about cleaning it LOL) so I used a baby pad to keep dirt off the SR pad.

Individualblue07
Apr. 19, 2009, 05:37 PM
I personally prefer to use baby pads since I live in S. FL and since it gets hot enough as it is, I dont want to add the extra thick/heavy pads to my guys back which just makes him hotter. I use a baby pad and then a sheepskin half pad/gel pad so that he still has support

BeastieSlave
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:58 PM
I like baby pads for most everyday riding :yes: We'll use them under a sheepskin half pad or directly under a well-fitting saddle. Like Individualblue07, I'm in an hotashell area and baby pads a just a bit smaller and thinner so (theoretically) they're just a bit cooler....

Aubreyyy
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:21 PM
Well, I complained about the weird size of half pads... now I've decided to make my own!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out, seems like an easy enough project.

theroanypony
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:32 PM
Well, I complained about the weird size of half pads... now I've decided to make my own!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out, seems like an easy enough project.

Wow. Wow. WOW! Make sure to post pictures, and let us know how long it takes to finish!

LulaBell
Apr. 19, 2009, 10:18 PM
They're really hard to find (at least in my experience), but I LOVE the PRI Continental Thin Pads. White quilted, with colored trims. Don't fold, don't bunch, just love them.

The Wilkers baby pads are some of my favorites too.

theroanypony
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:57 AM
Do you get your baby pads monogrammed, or do the pads wear out so soon that it doesn't make it worth it? Sorry, I'm a baby pad newbie. I'm just getting my first half pad, and baby pads are the only thing that are thin enough to not make a significant difference in the fitting.

Lou-Lou
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:48 AM
Do you get your baby pads monogrammed, or do the pads wear out so soon that it doesn't make it worth it? Sorry, I'm a baby pad newbie. I'm just getting my first half pad, and baby pads are the only thing that are thin enough to not make a significant difference in the fitting.

People definitely get their baby pads monogrammed. :yes:

katie16
Apr. 20, 2009, 11:08 AM
We have used the Wilker's baby pads for years. I have no complaints about them. They have stood up well for us. Additionally, you can get them in nearly most any color you can think of and they also come in PONY sizes which is nice!

jn4jenny
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:15 PM
My favorite by far is the JPC TuffRider Thermo Manager Baby Pad. It wears like iron--I only have four of them and they've endured 2 years of abuse with virtually no signs of wear. They have awesome wicking properties that help keep the horse from being sweaty. Of the cotton baby pads, I like Wilkers the best, but I am quite sure my Thermo Manager Baby Pads will outlast any cotton one:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productClassId=3975

BAC
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:24 PM

Me too, I also love that they are shaped, unlike the Beval baby pads, also Dover does a great job monogramming them.

Anyplace Farm
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:36 PM
I have both Dover's and Rider's (from Dover's) (the shaped ones). Rider's tend to be thinner. I have Dover's ones that are thinner too. I use the thicker ones on rounder horses because they are less likely to shift. The thinner ones will shift on the fatties.

Two wears and I wash. I bleach them with each wash and they've all held up well. I also cut the billet tabs off and only use the girth loops.

I don't monogram them. I have too many and it is too much work and goofy for my purposes. Good ol' Sharpie pen on the spine of the pad tells me which are mine.