PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Explain to My dad why it is necessary to have someone out to fit my new butet

Beau Cheval
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:02 PM
So the title pretty much says it all.
My dad's pretty old school "we walked ten miles up hill both ways in three feet of snow and our horses lived on grass in the wilderness and we didn't need any of these things...." but I know that I really need to get my new saddle fitted to my horse. So help me explain to him why this is necessary. He might believe it better when I have 20 people's eloquent messages to back me up :lol:

thanks guys!

Lucassb
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:04 PM
What makes you think you really need the saddle to be custom fitted? Is he particularly hard to fit?

theroanypony
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:06 PM
Well, if your saddle doesn't fit properly it could damage your horse's back. Those types of vet/chiropractor bills can make a saddle fitter's rates seem quite cheap.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:09 PM
When I was in high school I usually just explained that we could spend $50-100 on a saddle fitter or a few grand in lameness exams/vet bills if the horse was injured/back sore from a poorly fitting saddle. Not to mention the 'wasted' board money for a laid up horse. He's a business man so he recognized a wise investment when he saw one. He's also an avid runner so I would compare riding in a saddle that doesn't fit the horse to running a marathon in shoes that were too small.

I would generally follow that up with profuse 'thank you's!' and remind him how grateful I was that he paid a ridiculous amount of money each month to keep my horses in the style they had become accustomed to. :lol:

ETA: Generally I use a saddle fitter prior to purchasing the saddle however. That would suck to find out the saddle can't be made to work for your horses back.

Queen Latisha
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:21 PM
Dear Dad,
You're buying a high priced saddle and you want it to fit the horse properly. You've spent a lot of money, so what's a little more to make the saddle perfect??
If the saddle doesn't fit, you'll spend more money on vets and chiro's.
Make your daughter happy, she's trying to what's best for her horse.:D

ExJumper
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:40 PM
You could offer to give something up. Maybe skip a show to pay for the saddle and fitting. Or you could pay for the fitting yourself. If dad was willing to pay for the saddle, you could pay for the fitting. Do some chores.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm assuming you get some sort of allowance or money for holidays. Showing that you are willing to work to make the money, or willing to go without something so that your horse can have this service might go a long way to show your dad how important it is.

And if he won't pay for it, but he bought you the saddle and sends you to shows, you should just pay for it yourself.

ExJumper
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:43 PM
I thought Butets had foam panels?

Beau Cheval
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:48 PM
no, butets are wool flocked.
My horse's board is my allowance and we don't show. But thanks guys =)
How much does it cost to have someone from Beval's out?

Clarence
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:49 PM
Maybe this will help:

http://www.saddlefitter.blogspot.com/

ExJumper
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:54 PM
My horse's board is my allowance and we don't show. But thanks guys =)
How much does it cost to have someone from Beval's out?

My saddle fitter charged $65 to adjust the flocking in my County, and she doesn't charge travel fees because I bought the saddle from her in the first place. I would think that even with travel fees or more of a consultation it shouldn't cost more than $150 to $200 tops. Not chump change, but not a massive amount of money.

But if you think it needs to be done, then you should do what you have to do get it done. If you told your dad that you were willing to do something extra to earn a little money I think he would really appreciate how important it was to you and probably offer to pay for it or split it or something. He just spent a few grand on a saddle -- he probably doesn't want to spend another few hundred. Show him that you're willing to work to get it done and I'll bet he folds like laundry :)

meupatdoes
Apr. 18, 2009, 10:01 PM
What about babysitting or working at Borders?

Moocow
Apr. 19, 2009, 01:49 AM
That's a heck of a lot of money to spend on something that might not fit. :) Better to be safe than sorry when it involves investing your money into something like a saddle, right? And not only are you investing in the saddle, but also the future health of your horses' back among other things.

pooh
Apr. 19, 2009, 06:47 PM
To add to all the other reasons -- a horse with a poor fitting saddle may become uncomfortable and buck his child off!!! And I've seen that happen more then I'd like to see. My trainer is very picky about saddle fit for that reason, and she ends up with horses in for training due to poor behavior - only to discover it was pain from the saddle.
When you look at the cost of the saddle - having a fitter come out really isn't that much ( by the way - I've just ordered an Albion K2 Dressage and an Albion Kontrol-- tried going without a fitter at first and was getting very frustrated!)
A poor fitting saddle may create poor movements out of the horse, causing damage to muscles and imbalances.
And I'd agree with the rest if there is some way for you to help pay for the fitter , it would show responsibility on your part.

TwoDreamRides
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:03 PM
The BestBuy guy sells you the giant 60" flat screen plasma.

So of course, you have the Geek Squad come to make sure it's properly installed.

Otherwise, you might not know how to get the full effect -- which would be a waste of money on the 6-" flat screen plasma.

2DaPoint
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:14 AM
MooCow and TwoDreams have the right idea..... equate the imortance to things he can really wrap his brain around. Also the threat of high vet bills for NOT fitting is a good persuasion.

Here's mine....

Because if the suspension in the Hummer isn't quite right, you're not going to take it to the WalMart Auto Shop to have them work on it. You're going to take it to the Hummer dealership where they know how to handle machines of that caliber.
The Butet is a "Hummer" and the suspension is not quite right.......

And it MIGHT not need fitting.... You just want to be sure.
KD

mvp
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:34 AM
If you convinced the "we ate beans and rice every day... and were grateful" kind of guy to buy you a really expensive, popular saddle, he and you would do well to make sure it actually fits.

Butets aren't all wool flocked. They also don't fit every horse, despite setting a fashion trend on the top side of the saddle.

It would *suck* to have to ask your dad to replace this saddle six months or a year from now because some fitting issue caught up with you.

So, if you can spend $4K or so on a saddle, why not put some money into getting a professional saddle fitter to help? That may reassure you and your dad. It might also educate you both so that you/he don't feel like babes in the woods.

Best of luck! I know what it's like having to help parents learn about horses. They think I have a big conflict of interest and don't want to listen, even when I'm right!

rally
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:03 AM
Butet's have some options, I have a straight flap to free up my horse's large shoulder and a warmblood tree. Beval's saddle fitter did mine, but my horse is also hard to fit. Mine is foam padding as well, and I thought most of them were but I could be wrong. My advice came from the vet, get a new saddle that fits better or pay lots of vet bills and still have to get a new saddle that fits better.

BAC
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:09 AM

The majority have foam panels, although wool flocking is an option. Even foam panels can be changed too.

EqTrainer
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:26 PM
This is what I tell Dads about all horse maintenance -

"Look Sir.. it's like you bought a really nice sports car. Now... it needs a tune up. If you don't take care of it, it will break down and become worthless. Right?"

They always "get it".

vxf111
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:00 PM
Have you actually checked to see if it's wool? If it's that 17 inch on eBay that I linked to last time you posted about the saddle, it looked an AWFUL lot like foam to me. If it's not wool, there's not a ton of "fitting" that can be done without changing out the panels. A saddle fitter can tweak the tree bigger/smaller by a minor amount. They can fix any missing/loose stitching (that 17 looked like it had some). They can suggest some pads that might assist with fit if the saddle is too wide-- but they can't majorly change the tree shape, change what's in the panels (unless you get the foam removed and new foam/wool added-- which is $$$), change flap configutations, etc. You bought a fairly un-adjustable saddle. It is what it is. A saddle fitter can only do so much with it.

I continue to be puzzled. You went and bought this expensive saddle off eBay without knowing a ton about what you needed in terms of fit for the horse. Now you want to spend more money making it work. Okay, it's your money (er, dad's money) and you can do what you want... but you must have posted 3-4 threads about buying saddles that I can recall. Each time, various folks suggested working with a saddle fitter during the purchase process to make sure you got something that actually fit. Instead of doing that, or budgeting into the price of the saddle enough to pay for a saddle fitter to come out-- you went and bought a used, no-return Butet on eBay that arrived with a squeak that may/may not be a major problem with the tree, with foam panels, and now you don't know what to do next. What kind of advice are you looking for? A bunch of us have suggested time and time again that you work with a professional if you're going to drop multiple thou on a saddle-- to make sure it really fits. You didn't want to listen then, now you want us to tell you how to talk your dad into spending more for a saddle fitting you didn't budget for in the first place?! We apparently couldn't convince you, I don't know how we're going to convince him!

I don't know what to tell you. You've gone about the saddle process exactly opposite of how I do. I guess tell him you've already spend $X, what is another $250 or so to make sure that the $X saddle is being used in the most optimal way possible. Or scrape up the money yourself?!

I know how easy it is to be sucked in by a good deal and want to buy on eBay... but it's only a good deal if it FITS and I don't trust myself to judge that over the internets-- so for me I consider the money spent working with a professional to be money well spent.

meupatdoes
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:30 PM
We apparently couldn't convince you, I don't know how we're going to convince him!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I am not trying to be nasty to the OP here, but it is frustrating to watch what is going on here. For months the OP turned to the COTH forums asking various questions about various different brands of saddles. This went on for months and months.

I believe you initially started posting about saddles in October and now here it is April and you still haven't found a satisfactory solution.

The "possible saddle" journey spanned everything from a Devoucoux to a Tad Coffin. Time and time again you asked us to advise you on how a saddle we had never seen in person might fit a horse we had never seen in person. Time and time again various different people gave you the advice, repeatedly, to work with a saddle fitter.

It was completely ignored, down to your asking me for the name of the saddle fitter I work with AFTER you bought your butet (which turned out to be whoops! broken! and no room in the budget to fix it!) and MANY MONTHS after I had already given you her number. Apparently you paid such close attention to the advice people were carefully typing in for you that you completely forgot they had even given it in the first place.

The solution here is not for us to help you get your Dad to shell out some more money. The solution here is for you to take more responsibility: now that this particular situation is messed up thanks to your lack of due diligence, and before you get into similar situations in the future.

I stand by my initial suggestion of your getting a job to fix this one. Maybe if it's your own money you're spending, you'll be less flippant with both the cash and the advice you are asking other people to dole out to you.

Again, I am not trying to be nasty for the sake of being nasty, but honestly...why do you even ask for advice? You NEVER LISTEN ANYWAY.

ExJumper
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:48 PM
Wow. I just caught up on your previous threads and now I remember you. In fact, I have posted on a few of your old threads.

Good luck with everything, kiddo. Good luck with your foam paneled, broken treed, $2100 Butet the shape of which might not even fit your horse.

But BY GOD you own a Butet now, don't you. Congratulations.

If I were your dad I wouldn't spend another dime on the saddle either.

trubandloki
Apr. 20, 2009, 02:06 PM
My dad's pretty old school "we walked ten miles up hill both ways in three feet....

I did walk up hill both ways to school :yes: And it sucked. But I guess that is not your point.

I have not read the old threads but I have to agree with the thought that it might be time to look into finding ways to make your own money so you can afford these luxury items on your own.

ExJumper
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:45 PM
Any update? Is the tree broken? Have you contacted a fitter?

mvp
Apr. 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
The OP is a kid! Cut her some slack for not immediately taking sage advice. We'd all like whippersnappers to listen, I suppose, but were all of us obedient? Not every adult, by the way, is worth listening to.

I also think it's hard to be the child and the lone horseperson in the family. Been there done that. It feels like a "do it yourself" kind of thing, where everything, from raising the $$, to getting someone to take you seriously (as in a saddler, a tack store person, even an E-bayer), to even getting a ride to tack stores can be tough.

I also confess that I didn't know a great deal about saddle fitting when I was young. That takes time and mistakes. Let the OP make them, if she needs to. If you don't want to help any more, then don't. But no reason to be critical when she may face obstacles that those of us with checking accounts, cars, older-sounding voices and vocabularies don't encounter.

trinkamally
Apr. 21, 2009, 10:13 PM
I agree re cutting the kid some slack! I am a bona fide grown up facing chiro, vet and (ahem) saddle fitter bills b/c I bought the (used) saddle first, then the horse. Almost a year later the poor mare has a very bad back. Live and learn!

So, by all means get the saddle fitter out--for the poor horse's sake if nothing else!

MILOUTE55
Apr. 21, 2009, 10:42 PM
If you don't want to help any more, then don't. But no reason to be critical when she may face obstacles that those of us with checking accounts, cars, older-sounding voices and vocabularies don't encounter.

very well said!

And to the OP: butet saddles are foam or wool panels, depending on how they were originally ordered. I'd say there are on the market around 90% of foam butet saddles and only 10% of wool flocked. This tends to be the opposite for dressage saddles but Butet is not big in dressage.

Amandine