PDA

View Full Version : To wear the Shadbelly, or, not to wear the shad. That is the question!

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 01:31 PM
So, i'm qualified to ride in a local winter circuit finals in a couple of weeks, and I was considering whether or not it would be appropriate to wear my shad. These shows are unrated, however they are quite popular and you *do* have to qualify for the circuit finals. I'm qualified for the pony medal and children's hunter finals. The finals for the medal (obviously id wear my reg hunt coat for this) is a course and a flat phase and then a work off with top 4, etc. The hunter finals is a 2-round classic. So i'm wondering about wearing my shad for the hunter classic. They have a couple of non-finals classes that day for regular exhibitors, but I won't be showing in those. This classic is one class with no first-round from another class. My pony will be all braided up. So now I'm wondering, can I go ahead and wear my shad for the classic? Normally, I wont wear my shad unless it's an A or AA show, but even though this is unrated, my pony and I go to A shows, as well as the ponies we'll be competing against at the finals. This is not really a backyard-locals show series. I guess I'm considering that a shad could possibly be acceptable there because I have confirmed that most of the hunters/eq horses will be braided. Sure, you can get braids at any level of shows, but for the most part, you don't see them other than at A's. This show is also sponsored by Pessoa. Every winner of each hunter and medal final gets a saddle and then there's coolers and bridles and saddle pads, etc. I'd say it's fairly substantial of a show. Theres a $10,000 mini prix at level 6. Theres a gamblers choice. I'd say it's a decent sized show with lots going on. (this is my jusitifcation and self-reassurance that a shad would not be over-the-top :lol:)

Then again, I'm always looking for more chances to get use out of the shad (but don't we all??) and I could be totally wrong in thinking it would be acceptable at this show. :)

So, I was thinking, should I just keep it in the trailer in case I see any one else wearing one? Should I wear one irregardless? Definitely not?

And for those who are going to say I'm a junior so you don't think I should wear a shad anyway, well, I appreciate the input, I respect your opinion, but considering I already have a shad, there's not much help in your comments.

Whimsically Smart
Apr. 18, 2009, 01:36 PM
I have no idea about the Shadbelly, but wow!.. a pessoa saddle for each winner of a final!!

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 01:41 PM
I have no idea about the Shadbelly, but wow!.. a pessoa saddle for each winner of a final!!

I know, right? I am impressed. They've given away *very* nice pessoa saddle pads at their winter shows for all the division champions. The owner of the barn (which hosts the show) is from Argentina, so I think he must have connections :D

Whimsically Smart
Apr. 18, 2009, 01:43 PM
I know, right? I am impressed. They've given away *very* nice pessoa saddle pads at their winter shows for all the division champions. The owner of the barn (which hosts the show) is from Argentina, so I think he must have connections :D

That's awesome!! Good luck! :D

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:41 PM
bump :) aaaaaaaaanyone?

ExJumper
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'd wear it.

:)

mrsbradbury
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:50 PM
The shadbelly is acceptable for a classic at a rated show, therefore, there is no reason it is not acceptable at an unrated show.

Regardless of rating, at any show, finals inlcuded; the horse and rider should be presented to the best possible letter.

This sounds like a great series, you're lucky to have one near you!

flogarty
Apr. 18, 2009, 04:55 PM
I think that since you have one, wear it!

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:06 PM
:D yay ! glad to see no one (yet) thinks it's over-the-top. i mean, it's a pretty modest shad. It's black with the plain canary points, the lining of the tails are black (okay, i really wish it was a nice dark burgundy/red wine color, but it's not.) .. so i think it's fairly modest. But i don't want to be too over-the-top, don't want to look obnoxious, you know? buuuuuuuuuuuuut I want to wear it !

neigh.neigh
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:11 PM
I would definitely wear it... sounds like a fun show :)

findeight
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:50 PM
What's everybody else wearing? You don't want to be the only one-that can look pretentious. As long as you will not be the the ony one, go ahead and wear it.

BUT PULLLLEEEEEZZZZEEE BRAID at least the mane when wearing a shad. Please.

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:58 PM
What's everybody else wearing? You don't want to be the only one-that can look pretentious. As long as you will not be the the ony one, go ahead and wear it.

It says in my OP that my pony will be braided. :)

Yeah, i was thinking i'd bring it with me, and if i see anyone else wearing one, i'll put mine on :yes:

Lou-Lou
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:09 PM
The shadbelly is acceptable for a classic at a rated show, therefore, there is no reason it is not acceptable at an unrated show.

Regardless of rating, at any show, finals inlcuded; the horse and rider should be presented to the best possible letter.

This sounds like a great series, you're lucky to have one near you!

I agree.

Wow, that's really exciting and sounds like a nice show series! I hope you win a saddle! :)

theoldgreymare
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:33 PM

One of my pet peeves....At one of the circuits we show (MHSA rated but not USEF rated), there is one girl that wears her shad every chance she gets. I guess no one has told her how inappropriate is to wear a shadbelly when she doesn't bother to braid her horse or pony.

I say go for it and wear it. Unrated or not, it sounds like a great series!

TheHunterKid90
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:54 PM
Go for it! It's the Palermo Series right?
Good show! Some great competition! :) Goodluck!

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:58 PM
Go for it! It's the Palermo Series right?
Good show! Some great competition! :) Goodluck!

Yep! I <3 Palermo. Our barn is five minutes away, so it's really convenient, too!

CraziiPonii
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:36 PM
I'd wear it. Sounds like a great schooling series- good luck!!:D

superpony123
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:44 AM
bump

je.suis
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:35 AM
I have to chime in here, sorry. Does the protocol at this show call for shadbellys? Especially if it's unrated, I'd leave the shad at home and save it for the bigger shows. It sounds as if you'd be wearing a ball gown to a high school Saturday night dance. If everyone else is wearing casual yet appropriate clothes and you show up in formal wear, it will put the spotlight on you for a miriad of reasons. You will obviously wear the shad as you're determined to do so regardless of what anyone says, however, it seems a bit inappropriate for an unrated show. It won't sway the opinion of the judge as far as your riding abilility, but might cause an eye rolling and the "what's this" thought. Less is always more.

je.suis
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:36 AM
Forgot to ask....what does your trainerthink?

Addison
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:05 AM
If the specs for the classic include formal attire then you should wear it. I agree with the poster that said you should find out what others will be wearing. You can always bring it with you and wear it if others will be too. I personally would feel awkward if I was the only one wearing one.

superpony123
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:11 PM
You will obviously wear the shad as you're determined to do so regardless of what anyone says, however, it seems a bit inappropriate for an unrated show. It won't sway the opinion of the judge as far as your riding abilility, but might cause an eye rolling and the "what's this" thought. Less is always more.

..that was a little snarky :lol: If I was planning on wearing it irregardless, why would I bother with a post? I believe I said that I would bring it in the trailer and see if anyone else is wearing one. The point of this thread was more so wondering if it is appropriate in general, not so much a should-i-wear-it. I know it won't sway the judge's opinion. Even without my shad, I'd be dressed nicely. The prizelist calls for formal attire. Normally for their schooling shows it says nothing about the attire, and plenty of people dress casually. It says all finals riders must be in formal attire. This could be interpreted in many ways, and for a hunter classic, a shad would be considered formal, in my opinion, but it is still not quite a state finals or anything, just a series finals, which is why I am asking everyone what they think :yes: If you believe it is inappropriate, then thank you for the input. I appreciate it just as much as anyone elses opinion here. As for my determination, I just love wearing my shad. I'm not going to if I see I'd be the only one because that would be obnoxious. I just want to find more chances to get use out of it.

sadlmakr
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:32 PM
Just my humble opinion here. Take it with you and, as the others have said, "If others are wearing Shads, then by all means wear it."
However if no one else is wearing one, then don't.
Nothing is so pretty as a well tacked and well dressed horse and rider. But don't go overboard and make yourself ostentatious. That will only have a reverse effect.
Have a great time and enjoy the show.

Let us all know how you do.
Regards, S

je.suis
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:59 AM
I agree, Superpony, that my response was "snarky" although I'm not sure of the definition, the phonics describe a certain "tone". No "snark" intendended ! LOL , but seriously, you sound as if you really really really want to wear the shad and most probably will so, dress up, have fun . Didn't mean to sound so abrasive. I'm from the school of "time and place for everything". Good luck !

mvp
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:29 AM
It sounds like the OP wants permission to dress up. I got to ride in a borrowed shad once, and it felt great. Might not ever get the stars to align that way again.

If the rules say "formal attire" and you are the only one who dresses to the nines, so be it. Show them how it's done! Be sure you sure you get the rest right, too: Mane and TAIL BRAIDED, hooves oiled before you go in the ring. Create a beautiful picture. The judge will feel honored that you tried so hard.

That having been said, I'm a little surprised when I see kids in $1,200 boots, or $700 shads at unrated shows. I'd hate to see that become the standard for shows meant to create an entry point for those of us without the fat bankroll that goes with, say, life at pony finals.

My policy is to create the best picture with what I have. If I have the shad, the time and effort to put into my horse's and my turn out (not to mention the riding and training behind it), I'll put on the tails for a classic.

Trixie
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:57 AM
I would not, though you don't wish to hear it, since you are a junior and because it is an unrated show, and particularly since you are showing in pony and children's classes. IMO, that calls for braids, a navy coat, and a white shirt. A shad, in that case, sounds a bit ostentatious.

Bring it with you, if you'd like, and see what others are wearing. But it's not an "A" show, and traditionally, you're not old enough to have earned your tails anyway, whether you have them or not.

je.suis
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:07 PM
You're so right, Trixie. Unfortunately, it has become commonplace for Juniors to wear shads at shows. Is it traditional? No. Is it inappropriate? Yes, under any circumstances, especially an unrated show, but I felt there was no need preaching about earning one's tails and the age one begins as it has become more about " the look" for some riders rather than the original intention of the garment. Rather like putting on mummy's long gown to wear to a high school dance.

je.suis
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:14 PM
Wow ! Now that was snarky. Sorry.[/I]

SCMJ
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:41 PM
The prize list says that "formal attire is preferred"

Trust me--ANY judge would rather see someone go above and beyond at the local/schooling show level than to see yet another scruffy, unclipped, unbraided, and not properly groomed horse enter the ring just because it is a "schooling show". It is obvious that this farm wants to take the schooling show setting to another level and offer an affordable option to people that is very similar to "A" rated shows that most cannot afford. I commend this show for brining some much needed class back to the local levels and while I agree that you do not want to seem pretentious, I do not think it is wrong to wear your shadbelly. This is definitely not a typical local series show and those riders showing at this level deserve their time to shine just as much as the big timers with fat wallets :D!

I am by no means a snob but am BIG on proper turnout and a firm believer that ANYONE can look like they are about to walk into the Dixon Oval for a working hunter trip. Sadly, lack of money is often used as an excuse at smaller schooling shows for badly turned out animals or sloppy attire. this is not the case. Shadbelly or hand-me-down tweed coat from your mom's "old-timer" days, you can look the part and be sure your horse looks the part.

Sorry for the rant...but I attend many, many local shows and am appalled at the ways in which riders and ponies show up...so it would be refreshing to see someone go over the top rather than skimping and pulling a horse out of the trailer with shavings in its tail and long whiskers just because it isn't an "A" show.

Go Fish
Apr. 21, 2009, 05:55 PM
I think you should wear what you want regardless of what others say.

That being said, I think Shads are being overused in almost every division at every level show these days. They've lost their "formal" attire status, in MHO. I won't wear a shad unless it's a derby or championship at the very highest level of competition. If I want to dress up a bit, I'll put on a pair of white britches with a navy coat and white shirt.

SCMJ
Apr. 21, 2009, 06:03 PM

That being said, I think Shads are being overused in almost every division at every level show these days. They've lost their "formal" attire status, in MHO. I won't wear a shad unless it's a derby or championship at the very highest level of competition. If I want to dress up a bit, I'll put on a pair of white britches with a navy coat and white shirt.

well isn't that the truth? cough cough leadliners at Devon in shadbellys! That's plain rediculous.

je.suis
Apr. 23, 2009, 06:59 AM
well isn't that the truth? cough cough leadliners at Devon in shadbellys! That's plain rediculous.

...as ridiculous as Juniors wearing them especially at an unrated show.

Renn/aissance
Apr. 23, 2009, 09:55 AM
If the class description says formal attire preferred, wear your shad.

If someone else is wearing a shad, wear your shad.

If your trainer says wear your shad, wear your shad.

If none of these apply and you want to stand out and take the risk of being "the kid who dressed up and then chipped to fence 3" then wear your shad. ;)

...as ridiculous as Juniors wearing them especially at an unrated show.

These days, a lot of local circuits are amping up the classes to make it more attractive for people to show at their level instead of the more expensive rated shows. If a class requests formal attire, no matter what level the show is, then it is disrespectful in my mind to not arrive in formal attire.

Trixie
Apr. 23, 2009, 10:26 AM
These days, a lot of local circuits are amping up the classes to make it more attractive for people to show at their level instead of the more expensive rated shows. If a class requests formal attire, no matter what level the show is, then it is disrespectful in my mind to not arrive in formal attire.

Formal attire, for a CHILD rider, is a navy coat and white shirt, NOT a shadbelly. Traditionally, tails were for evening, and children did not wear tails because they were not invited to evening events.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Basics/2_Tradition.htm

Evening wear is intended for adult occasions and so dinner jackets and tailcoats have traditionally been considered inappropriate for children. According to the Encyclopedia of Etiquette, “As a general rule, boys do not wear dinner jackets much before they are fifteen, or tailcoats before they are about eighteen.” Although published in 1967 this advice remains perfectly germane considering that these are the very ages when young men trade in their youthful clothes for grown-up attire at popular coming-of-age ceremonies (see below).

In fact, the only time that children younger than these ages are likely to attend a formal affair is when they are invited to a wedding. And while it has become common to dress ring bearers similar to the rest of the groomsmen (often with black shorts substituting for tuxedo trousers) this practice - like the trend of matching ushers’ bow ties to bridesmaids’ dresses - can easily suggest an ignorance of the sophistication, elegance and maturity that formal wear is meant to imbue. Only junior ushers should wear the same clothing as their adult counterparts.

Further, if you look at the MFHA Guidelines, it SPECIFICALLY states that junior riders are NOT to wear shadbellies.

http://www.mfha.com/centennial/MFHA%20Centennial%20Field%20Hunter%20Championship% 20Appointment%20Guid%E2%80%A6.pdf

From the USEF Rulebook:

Formal Attire. Riders are required to wear scarlet or dark coats; white shirts with white stock; white, buff or canary breeches and protective headgear.

Therefore, it would behoove the OP to show up dressed in formal attire appropriate for her age.

gg4918
Apr. 23, 2009, 11:09 AM
I don't know if any of the other kids will know to wear their shads, just judging by who I've seen at the show. Bring it. If two other kids are wearing it then put it on, if not then just dont bother.
This is just from somebody that knows the show series.
I'll be there on sunday just to watch since I didnt have a horse in time to qualify for the jumper mini prix.
Good Luck!

ExJumper
Apr. 23, 2009, 11:13 AM

White breeches are for Jumper Classics. NOT hunter classics.

Renn/aissance
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:15 PM
Further, if you look at the MFHA Guidelines, it SPECIFICALLY states that junior riders are NOT to wear shadbellies.

In the guidelines for that same class, the MFHA also specifies dress boots (field boots not to be worn,) boot garters, and sewn bridles (not buckled.) If we are to go by the MFHA's strict guidelines for foxhunting attire in a show hunter division, then I guess every rider in that division needs to buy new boots, huh?

If a shadbelly has been declared by convention to be appropriate in the Regular pony divisions, I see absolutely no reason that in a class where formal attire is requested, a junior rider on a horse should be frowned upon for stepping up to the plate and wearing a shadbelly as the icing on the cake of excellent turnout.

Trixie
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:43 PM
If a shadbelly has been declared by convention to be appropriate in the Regular pony divisions, I see absolutely no reason that in a class where formal attire is requested, a junior rider on a horse should be frowned upon for stepping up to the plate and wearing a shadbelly as the icing on the cake of excellent turnout.

I'm of the mindset that just because a few people choose to be over the top, that does not make their chosen attire correct from an etiquette standpoint.

I used the MFHA guidelines as well as the guidelines for black tie formalwear as indicating that historically, children do not wear tails. I completely second the "mother's evening gown" analogy - some of us see the "convention" of children dressing age inappropriately as quite ostentatious indeed.

RumpusRaiser
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:58 PM
Know anyone who has gone in those divisions in previous years? Ask around. Call trainers in your area who have riders that qualify each year. Whether appropriate or not, go with the flow of what's traditional for this show.

superpony123
Apr. 23, 2009, 03:01 PM
Lol, this thread is still going on?

Like I said--I respect your opinion that children should not wear tails, and i understand that historically it is forbidden. But, times have changed. Wow, you guys would NOT enjoy pony finals at all :lol: almost every kid who rides in the hunter finals at pony finals is in a shad, even the kiddies on the smalls! (okay, now i do not think an eight year old should be wearing a shad, but i'm not one to make the rules), but irregardless of your opinion, i still own a shadbelly, and it would be wasteful not to use it when appropriate (once again, appropriate in my terms means at some sort of finals classic or AA show classic. let's not forget that the prizelist requires formal attire, even though it's not rated.)

coriander
Apr. 23, 2009, 03:23 PM
I don't believe anyone who doesn't know how to use "regardless" or "irrespective" should be permitted to wear formal attire of any sort, whether tails, evening gown or a shadlbelly in the ring.

While Merriam-Webster does recognize "irregardless" as a word, the entry notes that it is decidedly nonstandard:

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912

nonstandard : regardless

usage: Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Emphasis added. When you've mastered standard written English, you may wear your shadbelly in the ring of your choice. :lol:

dab
Apr. 23, 2009, 05:46 PM
White breeches are for Jumper Classics. NOT hunter classics.
Men wear white breeches and dark (or red) jackets for hunter classics --

dab
Apr. 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
This show series offers M&S classes -- The entry fee for the classics at the finals is $100 -- Their prizes include decent quality saddles and bridles -- I believe they are trying to distinguish themselves as something more than an average schooling show -- I suspect show management would love to see riders and horses well turned out --

Both adult and junior riders wear shads at other local shows in Zone 2 that offer 'big' classics -- More riders than not were in shads for Vince Dugan's $500 classics last fall --

I'm not hung up on what used to be considered appropriate dress for pony riders -- Times change -- I don't even feel the need to puke anymore when I see a GPA with a shad -- I'd say shine the pony up, braid away, and wear the shad --