PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay your groom?

Mollitor
Apr. 18, 2009, 11:54 AM
Im just wondering how much everyone pays their grooms at shows.

When I say groom,i mean to do:Feeding,suppliments,stalls,water,baths,shine boots,clean tack,lunge,tack up,brush etc.

everything.

How much do you guys pay per day/per horse?

indygirl2560
Apr. 18, 2009, 12:04 PM
At my last show it was $90 for the 2-days....

fair judy
Apr. 18, 2009, 01:15 PM
are you talking about how much the barn pays the grooms, or the owner's day care fees?

i got $100 per day for three horses ( one a conformation horse) when i worked for a private single owner farm. braiding was extra. they gave me a per diem of $25 and my own room/camper. they never had to touch the horse.

tips were usually $50 per champion/reserve. it was rare when at least one didn't come through for me........

it is a 14 hour day on show days. depending on when the horses show meds can have you up at 3am.

Mollitor
Apr. 18, 2009, 01:43 PM
that is very resonable!

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 02:17 PM
Well, i don't really remember the $$/day for A shows (i havent shown in an A show since 2007. But will be this year again! woo. feels good to go back.) but for my last show it was $45. But this was a local one day show. I do all my bathing and cleaning the day before. We only bring one groom, he drives the trailer (which we pay a seperate fee for) and for the most part, we don't need a whole lot of service at a one-day show. Most of us get our horses ready ourselves. But he does go to the ring with us, wipe our boots off after we get on (we all polish our boots ourselves, but they always manage to get dusty from the walk to the trailer to the ring) , hold onto coolers, brush our horses legs off after schooling and after each round if it's messy footing. A rag for slobbering horses. Average stuff.

As for A shows, I'm pretty sure it's a lot more, probably around $100/day. I do all my own bathing and grooming and tacking up, I clean all of my tack and boots too, but we have several grooms at a big A show (assuming we take a lot of horses. Like at Garden State we are going to have around 20 horses, so lots of grooms. but we may only take a few people to HITS, so we'll just have one or two.) At any show that we're stabling at, they've got to set up the stalls with the bedding and buckets and put up cross ties, set up tack room, hang the stable drapes. They've got to water the horses and feed them in the morning and much their stalls constantly so no one lays down in poop. It's not easy work for them at an A show. Our barn usually splits their hotel bill between all the exhibitors. We buy them lunch. But there's still a fee (which I find reasonable, because like i said, they're doing tons of work, and they've got to be there from dawn til after the last horse is done, which could be very late) for each day. We have a head-groom who we've had for as long as I can remember, he is the stable manager (not barn owner. he manages the feed, the horses, takes care of turnout, etc.) and also drives the trailer. He's excellent, and goes to all the shows. He is usually the one to go to the ring with me (dust off boots, brush off horses legs after each class if they get dirty, etc.) and so I like to give him a nice tip. Always give your groom a tip if he goes to the ring with you, is what I think.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 18, 2009, 02:32 PM
At shows they get $500/week plus tips and extra food money (usually $10-20/day depending) with mondays off. At home they get $400/week with sundays off and a half day on monday. Our guy lives in the basement (completely finished/furnished with a full kitchen, two bedrooms and one full bath) so they don't have to pay rent.

*Bounce*
Apr. 18, 2009, 02:35 PM
Day care fees run anywhere from $50 - $100/day depending on the barn.

When I groomed for an BNT my salary was $100 more the week of a horse show. I always had my own hotel room which they covered also. Plus I was given $100 for food/gas, etc. I did everything but our clients were very nice and always helped out by either cleaning tack or wrapping their own horse if we got super busy. They always tipped, which is a nice "we appreciate your effort" kind of gesture. It's usually around $20/day that the client is showing.

jhg140
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
When I groomed, I got a $100 per day, plus tips. Didn't pay for hotels on the road, usually 50/50 on the food, depending on who I was with when I was hungry :) 50/50 on the gas too. Usually each of us had 4-5 horses, and there was usually a sale horse or the trainer's daughter's horse in everyone's mix, so they were a little more low maintenance.

Now that I'm an amateur client, day care ranges anywhere from $25-$90 per day, depending on the show and my level of involvement.

lonewolf
Apr. 18, 2009, 09:10 PM
The answers thus far sound a little on the low side.

Most of the grooms I know get somewhere around 30-50$ per horse per day, plus tips. I'm not sure if they get hotel on top or had to find their own accommodations. I'm pretty sure they had to buy their own food.

My trainer used to pay $100/day (plus tips, but most of our barn didn't tip a lot), but he used to have trouble finding people because the experienced grooms could make more elsewhere. He usually ended up with less experienced people. He usually found someone local, so he didn't include housing.

For grooms that were already hired at the barn on salary, they got $50/day at the shows (on top of their regular salaries).

damecheval
Apr. 19, 2009, 03:44 PM
Our barn usually takes about 20 or so horses and 15 or so riders to a show. There are usually three grooms, sometimes four because one of the grooms is actually a working student that rides in one or two divisions; but she does do a lot of the works. Depending on the show the grooms either sleep in a camper, tent, or hotel. Some of my friends will groom, so they always stay in the hotel with us.

Grooms are responsible for feeding and watering. They also help the riders with tacking up, tack changes, loading/shipping horses, wrapping horses, and ring-side touch ups. However, most of the responsiblity falls on the riders. My trainer puts a lot of emphasis on 'team effort' (i.e. I don't care how old or young you are, or how much money you have - you don't get to be a lazy a$$, so take care of your horse).

Grooms generally get paid about $50 to $80 a day. It depends on the show and the number of horses that are there.

MHM
Apr. 19, 2009, 04:07 PM
Grooms generally get paid about $50 to $80 a day.

Did I read that correctly? $50 a day AND sleep in a TENT?!? :eek:

Who on earth agrees to do that??

damecheval
Apr. 19, 2009, 04:14 PM
Did I read that correctly? $50 a day AND sleep in a TENT?!? :eek:

Who on earth agrees to do that??

The tent has only been used once or twice. Most of the time they sleep in a hotel. :lol: All of the grooms are friends of the barn, so we usually get a really big suite and just split the cost. Plus, none of the shows are more than 3 days and half the grooms don't really have another job. They're college students with parents who foot the bill for pretty much everything.

MHM
Apr. 19, 2009, 04:17 PM
They're college students with parents who foot the bill for pretty much everything.

Ah, that's different.

Not the same as what a real groom should be paid in order to stay at a job.

Queen Latisha
Apr. 19, 2009, 04:24 PM
My husband is my groom and a very good one to boot.
Lunges the horse and cleans him top to bottom, polishes my boots, cleans tack and keeps me on track.
Oh and he's also my shipper.:D

MHM
Apr. 19, 2009, 04:42 PM
My husband is my groom and a very good one to boot.
Lunges the horse and cleans him top to bottom, polishes my boots, cleans tack and keeps me on track.
Oh and he's also my shipper.:D

Hey, I need one of those! Where'd you find him? ;)

Peggy
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
$50/day per horse plus tip. In my barn, the clients pay the grooms directly at shows rather than it going thru the trainer.

Queen Latisha
Apr. 20, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hey, I need one of those! Where'd you find him? ;)

LOL he didn't come to me this way, I put a lot of training into this man.
I think I need to start leasing him out.......:D

Reggie
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:19 AM
100-125/day plus expense (hotel at away shows)

Tini Sea Soldier
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:07 PM
Wow... some people are getting away with highway robbery on here!

$50 per day... I hope that's only one horse and one division!!!!

Back when I was doing it more regularly (which was awhile ago)... it was $100/day + hotel + food + tips. If there were more than 3 horses in your care... then it was usually $125. But we usually brought 2-3 grooms for about 8-12horses... so most times it was 2 of us working on the horses at the ring and one back at the barn mucking, picking, watering. We switched off so that no one got too much of one thing.

Those are LONG HOURS to get paid $50... that's 10 hour days at LEAST... which equates to a max of $5 an hour!

gjump
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:29 PM
I got $50/day PER HORSE.... atleast a two horse minimum. Plus they paid for my hotel room and they took me out to eat for dinner or they gave me food money.

But I did EVERYTHING..... I've done 18 hour days at big shows like Lake Placid, Ox Ridge, etc.

I remember getting over $1,200 for one week including tips.... :D

Trixie
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:31 PM
Those of y'all who pay $50 a day, are you sharing a groom with other riders so that the groom is more appropriately compensated for their work?

Peggy
Apr. 20, 2009, 12:41 PM
Those of y'all who pay $50 a day, are you sharing a groom with other riders so that the groom is more appropriately compensated for their work?
Yes. Probably should have been clearer that the $50/horse implied there was more than one horse. Not unusual for one of our guys to do six or even more, especially at a county (no braiding) show. It works even with that many b/c clients tend to pitch in by ferrying horses to and from the ring and helping at the ring.