PDA

View Full Version : VA Barns - Richmond area and south?

tullio
Apr. 18, 2009, 10:03 AM
Well, my dreams have come true and we're moving back east! We are headed to Fort Lee in about 3 months. Rather than search for a job or a house, I'm looking for barns. ;) I found some old threads on the Richmond area but most barns were Richmond & north - what's the horse scene like south and east of the city? We'll be in Petersburg/Prince George most likely.

I have been doing some eventing here in TX but looking forward to returning to H/J. I don't own a horse right now but hoping to change that soon - in the meantime, a barn with great school horses/lease opportunities would be ideal. A barn with some other adult riders would be good (I'm 28), but lots of kids are fine, too. I would love to get back into showing at the local level or maybe more in time.

Since we're planning on buying a house and being in the area for a while, I would love to find a quality facility with great people who do things right - someplace I can stick with long term (and not 'outgrow'!)

I am laughing at myself because this sounds like a personal ad. :lol: But I am so looking forward to being back in VA and hope you COTHers can direct me to some super barns to check out! Thanks in advance!!!

KPF
Apr. 18, 2009, 11:55 AM
Chesterfield is not too far from Ft. Lee/Prince George. Campbell Springs would probably be a good barn for you-- search the threads here for it, they have a website. There's also Hunters Lane (I think that's the name in the Chester area, nice h/j lesson barn. If you're interested in buying a house in Chesterfield, PM me-- my hubby has a new subdivision (building spec houses) and just sold a house to a Lt. at Ft. Lee.

Good luck with the move!:) If you need any other "inside" info about the area, feel free to PM me, I'd love to help.

HunterRider992
Apr. 18, 2009, 02:00 PM
I'm really not a fan of any of the local barns that have school horses, the trainers there don't seem to be as good or knowledgable.

For the local level/some As I would suggest Joan Okeefe (I know she has a couple mid-older 20s students) or Jeff Bradner. The only other trainer I can think of is Neil Blair, but he's much, much farther away.

Also, look into CHSA shows, I started out there and it's a really great local organization.

tullio
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks KPF... that is very helpful info! I will probably PM you a bit closer to our arrival if that's okay. :-) I do have questions about the area. We know a bit about it since DH was at Lee for OBC, but that was a while ago and I wasn't there with him. But he's from VA and I went to school there, so we both feel like we're going home... very exciting after our great TX adventure!

Hunter Rider, I will definitely look for information on CHSA. Do any of the trainers you mention have a website/farm name? I'm not quite to the point of calling or visiting yet, just looking to see what's around. If not, maybe PM me with phone #'s I can save for later?

Thank you both for your help!!!

HunterRider992
Apr. 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
PM sent.

And this is the CHSA website: http://x.caphsa.org/index.html

SpringOakFarm
Apr. 19, 2009, 12:38 AM
First - welcome to Virginia!

I live in Hanover county, but my daughter rides with her trainer in Chesterfield. However, not as far in Chesterfield as where you'll want to be in order to be close to the Petersburg area.

Campbell Springs is a nice facility - not too far away from where you'll be - really nice barns and multiple arenas (one of them is covered - not indoor, but covered.) However, I think it's very hard to make time to ride when you have to drive 45 minutes each way and that's about how long it would take for you to get there from the Fort Lee area.

All of the trainers that were mentioned by HunterRider are all very good, but they are all here in the Richmond metro area. (Jeff and Joan's facilities are only a few miles from me.)

If I recall, I think Fort Lee actually has stables on the premises where they offer boarding and lessons. Also, I think you'll be able to find some facilities there once you arrive - maybe not a big show facility in the Fort Lee area, but I'm sure there will be some nice private facilities! Virginia is FULL of horse farms -they are everywhere!

I don't know the other cities around Fort Lee...but here is a Virginia website with over 700 boarding facilities listed: www.virginiaequestrian.com - then go to the Green Pages to see the boarding facilities.

Oh - and Fort Lee has an GREAT playhouse if you like the theater! Best of luck to you!

tullio
Apr. 19, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hunter Rider - thanks so much for the PM!

Spring Oak - Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure Ft Lee does not actually have stables. DH was there a bit ago and they didn't, and I can't find a number or anything info about them anywhere on the internet or our other Ft Lee info. Which is too bad, but oh well (the stables here at Ft Hood are actually pretty ok and have met some new friends there!)

Thanks for the other info, too. I will ask again if I end up working in Richmond, as then I'd be closer to some of the places you all have mentioned. We'll have to see how all that works out (anyone need a graphic designer? :lol: )

I am from MD and used to only driving a short way for tack stores, barns, shows, and schooling... boy are things different in TX! We drive an hour to anything, but more like 3 hours to a Dover store, or an event that we consider 'near by'! So 45 minutes sounds easy to me now!

Thanks for pointing out the VA Equestrian site - that is so helpful! Just what I needed.

KPF
Apr. 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
Tullio, please PM me if I can be of any help. If you wind up working in Richmond, I take lessons here-- www.springvalleyfarm.net. It is in Manakin-Sabot, just west of Richmond and its a really, really nice facility, plus they have schoolies.:) It'd be a long drive from Ft. Lee though.

KateUCET101
Apr. 20, 2009, 02:26 PM
Similar Question - Can anyone suggest a barn close to the West End/Short Pump area? Preferably a barn that travels 'A' circuit - H/J. VERY new to area, but there looks like there may be nice options in the Goochland? I'm looking for a [horse] job in the area. Any recommendations?

JumpWithPanache
Apr. 20, 2009, 02:32 PM
I can only say that I attended a show this weekend at Stonehouse Stables in Toano, VA. May be too much of a hike for you but it was a very nice facility with a great barn, indoor arena, and very nice outdoor. Put on a nice show too! Good luck with your PCS.

ETA: for what it's worth, while I stabled at Fort Eustis it was ODR that ran the base stables. Langley AFB, on the other hand, is a club run stables. Difference being that ODR (Army) paid for Fort Eustis's sponsorship and bought hay/grain/shavings etc and board was paid to ODR. As a club, Langley was not paid for the the AF, patrons paid dues to the club and bought their own hay/grain/shavings.

HunterRider992
Apr. 20, 2009, 04:48 PM
Kate, try Ada Cosby. Her barn is a couple minutes from Deep Run.

Coventry might be another option, with Teddi. Maybe Sulu Rose-Reed at Stillmeadows(that's farther away) or Gale Thompson? They're jumpers though.

lauriep
Apr. 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
Jan and Eric at Hampden Row.

There is also a new trainer coming into Spring Valley. Joe is leaving. Should be announced shortly.

Equinoxfox
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:38 AM
I really think if you want to do it the right way. Go with Jan & Eric at Hampden Row.. You can't go wrong.... They do the " A's & AA's"...;)

ClosingTime
Apr. 21, 2009, 11:15 AM
Jan and Eric at Hampden Row are great, especially if your focus is on the rated shows in the area.

Lisa Hammerschmidt at K&L Sports in Montpelier (20 mins NE of Richmond) is also good. She does a mix of local shows and A's.

fpquintonva
Sep. 27, 2010, 09:25 AM
Visit foxpointefarmva.com
Boarding,Training, Instruction and Sales.
Lesson programs for boarders, and schooling students. Quality instruction, nice facility, great schooling horses. Many with local and rated show miles.

Simbalism
Sep. 28, 2010, 01:16 AM
I have ridden with both Ada Cosby and Lisa Hammerschmidt and can reccommend both. I don't think Ada has any school horses but Lisa does.