PDA

View Full Version : Best jumper of all time

ivy62
Apr. 17, 2009, 10:26 PM
Would like to take a survey of who was the best jumper of all time... History should be remembered....
I love Idle Dice! and Rodney!
Who else?

horseylady
Apr. 17, 2009, 10:31 PM
Touch of Class and Joe Fargis; Anne Kursinski and Starman, Anne and Eros to name a few

MHM
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:12 PM
Of the ones I've seen in person, Gem Twist would have to be near the top of the list. He really hated to touch a jump!

Plus he was successful with three different riders, which gets bonus points from me.

risingstarfarm
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
Hard to leave out horses like Darco (#1 showjumping sire AND an olympic competitor) as well as Jus de Pomme (1996 olympic double gold medalist). Both are proven as sires of show jumpers as well.

ivy62
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:37 AM
Like I posted before, if you remember Idle Dice won 3 Grand Prix at the tender age of 21! and FEI jumper awards....

KayPink
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:29 AM
I agree with Idle Dice and Gem Twist. Also, what about Calypso!

Nikki^
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:37 AM
Don't forget about Milton with John Whitaker and Big Ben with Ian Millar.:D

piccolittle
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:52 AM
I always loved Tomboy, the horse that Rodrigo Pessoa had at, I think, Atlanta in 1996...

Snowman (I think that was his name!) was a pretty cool horse too :)

hunterEQhorse
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:00 AM
Gem Twist, Snowman, and Idle Dice, hands down! :)

cloudyandcallie
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:08 AM
I loved Gem Twist and Idle Dice and Milton and Big Ben, but my choice for best jumper of all time is Weihaiwej, if I spelled her name right, the blue-eyed bay mare who last I heard is still alive in Italy in her mid 20s.

Mara
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:11 AM
Going back, you'd have to include Halla. Her Olympic gold-medal performance with a badly injured Winkler in the saddle. . .she did that more or less by herself.

cloudyandcallie
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:19 AM
Going back, you'd have to include Halla. Her Olympic gold-medal performance with a badly injured Winkler in the saddle. . .she did that more or less by herself.

And she was a Hessen!

War Admiral
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:28 AM
Yeah, Halla was pretty amazing. But it's still Idle Dice for me.

Y'know though... I would loff to see some vid; see if he's REALLY as good as we're all remembering? I'm pretty sure he was, but not quite willing to stake the farm on it... ;)

andy.smaga
Apr. 18, 2009, 08:32 AM
Being a tad chauvinist... :D
Baloubet du Rouet, 3 times World Cup winner.

Monarch
Apr. 18, 2009, 09:00 AM
One more for the list, Boomerang and Eddie Macken

M

Queen Latisha
Apr. 18, 2009, 09:01 AM
Snowman hands down.:D

CraziiPonii
Apr. 18, 2009, 09:54 AM
Gem Twist(personal favorite) Snowman and Big Ben:)

easyrider
Apr. 18, 2009, 10:02 AM
Stroller.

Angel Undercover
Apr. 18, 2009, 10:04 AM
Big Ben, Gem Twist, and Milton.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 18, 2009, 10:08 AM
Of the ones I've seen in person, Gem Twist would have to be near the top of the list. He really hated to touch a jump!

Plus he was successful with three different riders, which gets bonus points from me.

Gem Twist has my vote as well. I was never lucky enough to see him in person (I was born in 1988) but I do love watching him go through the magic that is youtube. ;)

lonewolf
Apr. 18, 2009, 12:47 PM
My sentimental favorite is Big Ben.

Halla is a pretty cool story, though. As is Snowman.

bascher
Apr. 18, 2009, 12:58 PM
Hard to leave out horses like Darco (#1 showjumping sire AND an olympic competitor) as well as Jus de Pomme (1996 olympic double gold medalist). Both are proven as sires of show jumpers as well.

I absolutely adored Jus de Pomme. And I have to add Milton, he's pretty awesome too :)

denny
Apr. 18, 2009, 05:57 PM
For sheer versatility, Billy Haggard`s Bold Minstral.
First, he was a champion show hunter.
Then he won a team Olympic silver medal in 1964 at Tokyo with Mike Plumb in 3-day eventing.
Then he won the Madison Square Garden puissance at 7 feet, 3 inches with Bill Steinkraus.

Top that.

findeight
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:00 PM
Then he won a team Olympic silver medal in 1964 at Tokyo with Mike Plumb in 3-day eventing.
Then he won the Madison Square Garden puissance at 7 feet, 3 inches with Bill Steinkraus.

Top that.

Can't, of course.

I saw Idle Dice go. Close if lacking the fatter resume.

superpony123
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:05 PM
Gem Twist and Big Ben. Hard to pick between the two.

Triplicate
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:26 PM
Idle Dice, won the speeds,grand prix, puissance at all four indoor shows one year jumping 7 feet or higher with all the good teams there.
FEI Champion, PHA & AHSA Horse of the Year.
First professionally ridden horse to show for the USET.
Champion First Year Green hunter with Bernie Traurig as a four year old.

Then Milton, Philco, Gem Twist.

ponygirlnmh
Apr. 18, 2009, 06:59 PM
I loved Idle Dice, but...
Jet Run and Michael Matz were my favorites. They were so elegant and beautiful to watch.

MHM
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:49 PM
Jet Run and Michael Matz were my favorites. They were so elegant and beautiful to watch.

Yes, classic stylists, both of them. :)

faraway46
Apr. 18, 2009, 10:46 PM
Maybe not the best, but charismatic and unforgetable: Jappeloupe and Pierre Durand. It was the era of Milton and Jap: black against white, big againts small...he was a small black rubber ball!

jumpoff87
Apr. 18, 2009, 11:10 PM
Sapphire is one of the greatest horses ever in showjumping. Also, I LOVE Jus de Pommes.

fish
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:36 AM
Classic Touch. Her resume is not as long as the others, but I've never seen another horse touch the quality of her performance in Barcelona. She flew easily as a bird over courses that had been looking like a game of pick up sticks until she came in, floating over the ground with a lightness, elasticity and concentration that became more and more awesome with every fence.

I remember reading that Ludger Beerbaum had "saved his best horse" (Classic Touch) for the Olympics, and she was sold soon after, to be ridden by the new owner's son (?), while Beerbaum got the mount on the silver medalist, Ratina Z. Ratina was, of course, another great mare, but IMO, she (and everything else, too), looked like a "mere mortal" compared to Classic Touch. I often wonder what CT did after Barcelona. Anyone know?

I also saw and loved Jus des Pommes at Atlanta-- I love the kind who jump around GP's in classic hunter style as he did ;D.

As for Tomboy-- mostly memorable to me as a demonstration of how high some horses can jump despite the worst imaginable form, and how much punishment an ambitious young rider can take (and still remain intact) to get an Olympic medal.

DMK
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:07 AM
jus de pommes was incredible - i don't think I have ever seen a horse hunt the big sticks as nicely as he did. It sure would have been nice to see if he had staying power over a long career.

I don't know if Sapphire and Shutterfly will be considered the greatest ever, but they will surely be judged among the greats, and it is so exciting to see such great horses with such radically different styles compete against each other over the toughest courses in the world. You see horses like Tresor, Oki Doki, Cumano, Flexible and other horse who would all normally be considered freaks of show jumping except someohow there is Shutterfly and Sapphire who take it up another unbelievable notch.

(can anyone tell I stayed up late last night glued to my PC watching the 2nd round of WC? ;) )

lauriep
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:08 AM
Gotta go with Idle Dice. He not only could win in ANY type of class, he was SO far ahead of his time.

sisu27
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:21 AM
Ben & Milton.

Love Oki Doki and am interested to see what Hickstead can do if he gets/stays healthy.

houndsplease
Apr. 19, 2009, 01:37 PM
Milton , Ryans Son and Saphire :winkgrin:

diva4ever
Apr. 19, 2009, 07:15 PM
Countdown! Take it he never jumped big but he was always Champion (or Reserve).

trafalgar
Apr. 19, 2009, 08:53 PM
I am going to name my favorite combinations, American anyway, Rodney Jenkins and Idle Dice hands down were the very best. Then Jet Run and Michael Matz plus Kathy Kusner and Untouchable. I would like to add for sheer enjoment I thrilled to watch Galoubet leapng over his fences and bouncing between them and GOOD Twist for his enormous energy and effort as well as talent.

La Gringa
Apr. 19, 2009, 09:30 PM
Baloubet de Rouet.

He is one of the best of our time.

I wish I had seen him jump live.

Callison
Apr. 19, 2009, 10:08 PM
My fav was Heisman with Michael Matz. I still watch our VCR tape from the Barcelona Olympics.

Gem Twist, Big Ben, Milton, Idle Dice and For the Moment are all a close second.

Hauwse
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:04 PM

Top that.

Have to agree with Bold Minstrel. He was the quintessential horse. He could do it all.

I would have to add The Democrat in there too, another phenomenal horse.

BAC
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:34 PM

I thought of Bold Minstrel as soon as I saw the title of the thread, for the same reason, his versatility and success at the highest levels of every discipline he competed in. I was fortunate to get to see him compete with Bill Steinkraus frequently although my all time favorites will always be Kathy Kusner and Untouchable.

Sebastian
Apr. 20, 2009, 01:56 PM
Must agree with Denny - Bill Steinkraus and Bold Minstrel are BOTH super heros of jumping.

BUT, I was also blown away by Jus de Pomme in '96. He just made it all look so easy... Wish he had not been lost so young. :yes:

Seb :D

MonsterM
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:22 PM
Somewhere around here I have a beautiful black and white photo that I took of Bold Minstrel at Fairfield when I was in high school. Lordy, he was very cool.

I didn't realize he'd done all the other things.

How about Nautilus and Hugh Wiley?

Clarence
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:33 PM
Fish,

Classic Touch went to the Cordia family in Belgium. I think their son rode her for a while after which Piet Raijmakers (who won silver on Ratina in Barcelona) rode her. She never went as well for them as she went for Ludger. I think they bred her later in life.

I read so much about Idle Dice I wish someone would post a video of him on Youtube. Must be possible. I would also like to see Bill Steinkraus and Frank and Mary Chapot.

Best,

- C

Hocus Focus
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:41 AM
Gem Twist
Idle Dice
Big Ben

Had the pleasure of seeing all three go.

Perhaps not the absolute best of the best of the best but let's not forget Conrad Homfeld's rides on Abdullah.

Stroller gets my vote for best little horse (pony). Winning a silver medal at the Olympics on a pony is pretty freakin amazing. I sure would love to see some photos or video on that ride. Riding a course where every jump is at eyeball height or higher must be slightly unnerving...Kudos to Marion Coates for bravery.

Hauwse
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:36 PM
I could not find any video of Idle Dice, though Iknow there is some out there somewhere. I did find a good video of Untouchable/Fleet Apple. It includes schooling footage and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcej-L63qY8

jse
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:43 PM
I'm gonna have to say Gem Twist has my vote!
I believe there are a few current horses that will go down in history! Love love love Sandro Boy!!

buck22
Apr. 21, 2009, 01:59 PM
I don't know much about jumping, but I saw this video and Rhum IV took my breath away.... they were like two guided missiles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEbf99DO_r8&feature=PlayList&p=39BDB15DA2B50DCF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15

ivy62
Apr. 21, 2009, 04:54 PM
I started this thread because one day at my barn a "young" whipper snapper said that Gem Twist was the best. some people feel that way, I do not agree but she hadn't been alive long enough to see some of the best...I am so glad that so many people look back and not only what is in front of them for comparrison..

Still Idle Dice rules.....in book anyway....

Gunnar
Apr. 21, 2009, 07:10 PM
I always loved Tomboy, the horse that Rodrigo Pessoa had at, I think, Atlanta in 1996...

Snowman (I think that was his name!) was a pretty cool horse too :)

I went to the Masters at Spruce Meadows that year. Tom BOy was in the 6 bar and jumped 6'9"! One of the greatest sightsI have ever seen. He was not really a great jumper as he was not too neat with his legs! But what heart he had. That same show RP rode him to the two liverpools by the in gate. It all went wrong and he basically swam them but Tom Boy did not knock down a rail!

I love Sapphire for now but Gem Twist is up there from the past! Arco is also a freaky jumper! :yes:

Pirateer
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:14 PM
Doesn't Sweet N Low have the indoor Puissance record with Norman Dello Joio?

Saw pictures of that...NEAT!

trafalgar
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:59 PM
I thought the earlier COTHER was talkingabout Mary Mairs' Tomboy....a wonderful horse. I have really enjoyed reminiscing over some of these names. I remember Stroller, how about Trick Track? Was he also a pony? Those You Tube films of Kathy Kusner and Untouchable made me want to cry. There was something so magical about those times and those horses. The riders weren't there because of how much money they had but how much talent. Obviously alot of our present day riders are very talented too but maybe its like Hollywood then and now "the class just ain't there like it was"

Perfect Pony
Apr. 21, 2009, 09:54 PM
My favorite will always be Jet Run. As a child I worshiped that horse more than Shawn cassidy!

christmasfarm
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:00 AM
Doesn't Sweet N Low have the indoor Puissance record with Norman Dello Joio?

Saw pictures of that...NEAT!

but I thought that was Tony D'Ambrosio in the tack . . . . Anyone?

hunter-eventer-hunter
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:32 AM
Gem Twist-TB
Abdullah-TK
Saphire-Dutch

What else?

Hauwse
Apr. 22, 2009, 02:06 PM
Gem Twist-TB
Abdullah-TK
Saphire-Dutch

What else?

I don't know if you can go best by breed, since the only horse that is of a breed is Gem Twist, the rest are all types of horses, all with TB in their bloodlines. What do you call Bold Minstrel? A WB, he was TB/perch cross, and not approved by any registry, or Snowman who's bloodlines are unknown.

BAC
Apr. 22, 2009, 02:08 PM
I thought the earlier COTHER was talkingabout Mary Mairs' Tomboy....a wonderful horse. I have really enjoyed reminiscing over some of these names. I remember Stroller, how about Trick Track? Was he also a pony? Those You Tube films of Kathy Kusner and Untouchable made me want to cry. There was something so magical about those times and those horses. The riders weren't there because of how much money they had but how much talent. Obviously alot of our present day riders are very talented too but maybe its like Hollywood then and now "the class just ain't there like it was"

I remember MMC's amazing Tomboy too, as well as Stroller and Trick Track. Trick Track was a horse, not pony, and I think Bill Steinkraus was riding him the times I saw him go. When Stroller came into the ring at MSG the fences were taller than he was. :eek:

atouchofclass
Apr. 22, 2009, 06:51 PM
"Baloubet", "Snowbound" and "Gem Twist" and of course "A Touch of Class"

trafalgar
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:30 PM
Thank you Buck22 for giving us the link to that jump off in which Michael Matz wins with Rhum IV; it was fabulous. It also reminded me of For the Moment who had to be one of the steadiest and mosy reliable jumpers we have ever seen and Lisa Jacquin must have really taken good care of him; he was still competing and winning at 22!

Pirateer
Apr. 23, 2009, 07:49 PM
but I thought that was Tony D'Ambrosio in the tack . . . . Anyone?

You are right! My memory is gone and I'm only 24...

ccoronios
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:40 PM

Top that.

Oh yeah - and after all that, he showed Billy's wife the ropes in AO Hunters!!!!