PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a saddle with a fairly straight flap?

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:12 PM
I am looking for a saddle with a fairly straight flap. Right now we are using a dressage saddle but are looking for options for Close Contact. (Big shouldered mare that hates things touching her...)

A suggestion that I have gotten is the Crosby Excel, which I hate with a firey burning passion (balloon flaps, ugh!).

Anything else that may be worth looking into?

Mimi La Rue
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:32 PM
I just got a new saddle - Beval Natural and it has a fairly straight flap. I've only had it for a week but love it.

Equus_girl
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:50 PM
You can get several Bevals with straight flap option. I got Butet with straighter flap. Jumping saddle's flaps would never be as straight as dressage saddle's but something like this is probably what you are looking for? http://www.allthebestusedsaddles.com/16-butet-010.aspx

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:05 PM
You can get several Bevals with straight flap option. I got Butet with straighter flap. Jumping saddle's flaps would never be as straight as dressage saddle's but something like this is probably what you are looking for? http://www.allthebestusedsaddles.com/16-butet-010.aspx

That might work! (Well, a bigger size might work).

YAY!

JB
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:08 PM
You can get Crosy Excels without the padded knee - I had one :) It's just a special order, not a typical stock saddle.

Equus_girl
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:11 PM
That might work! (Well, a bigger size might work).

YAY!

I cannot say enough good things about Butets. I love my jumping Butet, and dressage Butet was the only singleflap I loved and it fit 2 of my very different horses perfectly

Aubreyyy
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:27 PM
Why not try an "event" saddle. Most of them have a close contact-y seat and longer dressage flaps.

cnvh
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
I don't know how you feel about Wintecs, but they make a straighter-flap model-- I think it's called the VSD.

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:36 PM
Why not try an "event" saddle. Most of them have a close contact-y seat and longer dressage flaps.

No way.
Dressage saddle for dressage, close contact for jumping.

And to whoever asked- no wintecs except dressage.

My butt is more of a french-leather sort of gal ;)

JB
Apr. 17, 2009, 03:52 PM
Saddles made for Eventing, as with those designed more for the Jumper as opposed to the Hunter, tend to have QUITE a forward flap.

HorsRdr477
Apr. 17, 2009, 05:01 PM
You can get Crosy Excels without the padded knee - I had one :) It's just a special order, not a typical stock saddle.

I have an Excel too without padded flaps. Super comfy!

Elementgrl2
Apr. 17, 2009, 05:22 PM
The Beval Butet with the California flap is pretty straight and long. If you have a long leg.

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 05:26 PM
The Beval Butet with the California flap is pretty straight and long. If you have a long leg.

My legs are REALLY long for someone who is 5'3. :P

tikihorse2
Apr. 17, 2009, 05:31 PM
Bevals, definitely. My Beval Natural has a looong flap that works great for my super long leg--I'm 5'10", so let's talk about long legs here! :D

(Though it doesn't fit my new horse--I'm looking at a CWD for him.)

Kim

Trixie's mom
Apr. 17, 2009, 06:34 PM
crosby centennial regular long flap...i love it...rides like a dressage saddle...flap doesn't touch my mare's sensitive shoulders.

JB
Apr. 17, 2009, 09:29 PM
Big shouldered mare that hates things touching her

Just make very, very sure you are putting it back far enough. I'm always surprised at how often the saddle is put too far forward. A normal-forwardness flap should not be on the shoulders if placed correctly.

Perfect Pony
Apr. 17, 2009, 09:34 PM
The County Stabilizer has a straight flap and is made really well for a horse with big shoulders, it's the reason I own one.

ponymama
Apr. 17, 2009, 09:34 PM
i will make the requisite "antares can do it" post -- daughter has a very large shouldered jumper mare, and also prefers a straighter flap in general. so she has a flat seat, straight flap jumper saddle (with knee blocks, but everything's custom so you don't need to have those...)

PROTACKGUY
Apr. 18, 2009, 10:52 AM
The Pessoa Stadium has the straightest flap of the Pessoa series of saddles. Rodrigo tends to favor a straighter flap.

mvp
Apr. 19, 2009, 05:24 PM
Your mare's conformation and clear opinions might mean the she needs an obviously straighter flap. Nice of you to oblige by being 5'3". (My gelding and I have the same agreement going.)

But if she is truly uncomfortable in front, you might also need to consider the design of the tree, including short points like those on a County, as well as wool panels and special panel shapes.

If you don't mind spending the $3K, you and your horse might be happiest with a County Stablizer. Off the rack? Well, I'll let you know if my hunt for something similar turns up anything. Crosby Centennials might work if you can deal with their more shallow panels. Tad Coffin saddles are another option. You might be able to get a deal on a used one that puts these expensive saddles within reach.

Black Country (custom for less money than a County, but not as pretty leather IMO) swears they can/will make whatever flap you want. You might have a tough time finding a demo in the size/shape you need. But call Trumbull Mountain Tack. You might also like the Black Country Maelstrom. It's seat looks different from a County, but it costs about the same and is made out of calf. The one on the TM website has flap you might not like, but, again, you can order a more traditional looking version.

Pirateer
Apr. 21, 2009, 08:58 PM
Well, mare is a lease, and I'm more into the "used" option versus custom since I prefer the forwardy jumper flap.

Just looking for ebay-type options. :)

caradino
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:02 AM
i have a pessoa GenX that is more on the 'straightish' side of CC. i know some people will tell you to run away screaming from a pessoa... but i love mine, and since it's not for a horse you personally own, a used one would fall in a good price point for you!

clancypants
Apr. 26, 2009, 12:15 AM
We find the Tad Coffins fit just about any horse.