PDA

View Full Version : Will Serenity Test

eclipse
Apr. 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
I am going to be trying a horse at a barn that I've found out uses Serenity on some of their horses. Of course, if I decide I like this horse I will be having blood pulled a subtance test done, but I'm now very wary of this barn! Have any of you heard of Serenity & will it test if this horse is on it? (I do NOT want a horse that is on calming suppliments)

http://www.horseherbs.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 12:49 PM
I have never seen these so called supplements have THAT much effect on a horse that I would not otherwise purchase it.

Smart to do the drug test though.

theoldgreymare
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:09 PM
will it test if this horse is on it?

It does have Chamomile in it which is on the forbidden substances list.........

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:16 PM
It does have Chamomile in it which is on the forbidden substances list.........

Doesn't mean it tests.
Cracks me up that its used as a "calming supplement" and cracks me up more that people use it.

eclipse
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:19 PM
Doesn't mean it tests.
Cracks me up that its used as a "calming supplement" and cracks me up more that people use it.

That's my biggest fear a horse gets tested nothing shows, so I have no idea it's on a calming suppliment!

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:27 PM
That's my biggest fear a horse gets tested nothing shows, so I have no idea it's on a calming suppliment!

If your biggest fear is not knowing and getting caught, why don't you wait (however long to clear the system) before showing?

eclipse
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:41 PM
If your biggest fear is not knowing and getting caught, why don't you wait (however long to clear the system) before showing?

I'm not talking about my horse showing on it, I'm talking about vet checking a horse that we don't know is on it or not (if it doesn't test)!

luise
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:07 PM
My question would be why are the horses on it in the first place? I wouldn't worry about it testing, I would worry about the reason for using it! Is the horse a nut?

carrie_girl
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:17 PM
My question would be why are the horses on it in the first place? I wouldn't worry about it testing, I would worry about the reason for using it! Is the horse a nut?

Umm... I think that's what the OP is worried about as well. She is worried that they won't tell her the horse is on a supplement, she will test, nothing will show and she will get home and the horse will turn into a crazy nut as soon as the effect of the supplement wears off.

Right???

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
Umm... I think that's what the OP is worried about as well. She is worried that they won't tell her the horse is on a supplement, she will test, nothing will show and she will get home and the horse will turn into a crazy nut as soon as the effect of the supplement wears off.

Right???

Sounds like it, but c'mon, its a supplement.
It isn't going to help THAT much. (Its not going to help at all, but I know how people THINK they do...)

eclipse
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:40 PM

Right???

Yep, exactly right. None of the horses at this barn seem nutty but now it has me wondering!

luise
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
Ask to see what the horse is getting for supplements. Many barns have them made up in ziplocks. You could also take the list of ingredients to the vet's and ask if they can be tested. Hopefully they will be honest with you and tell you what the horse is getting. I would be more concerned about why they would feel the need for a calming supplement in the first place. Other things to think about though--what kind of feed is the horse getting and how much turnout. I do know of some people who don't turn their horses out at all, and then drug them to ride them (at home). Maybe if the horse was turned out, it wouldn't need to be drugged!

dags
Apr. 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm with Pirateer, no way will chamomile make a crazy horse sane. Or any of the other "calming" substances.

eclipse
Apr. 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone. Good idea of asking to see the supplements they are fed. I'm under the impression from somebody who's been at this barn a while is that the trainer likes to give ALL the horses this supplement. I know that the people who own this horse don't board there full-time as they keep the horse at home in the Spring and Summer (so I'm hoping that this will be a good indicator that this is not one of the horses on the supplement, but you can be sure I'll be asking!)