PDA

View Full Version : Stupid name?

Aubreyyy
Apr. 16, 2009, 09:51 PM
"La Bohème" for a hunter.

Owner is an opera person, and loves La Bohème.

Hey- its better than "Les Misérables", right? lol

superpony123
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:18 PM
Actually, i like it :D classy.

Aubreyyy
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:20 PM
I thought so too :) But sometimes pronunciation is an issue.

La Bohéme can turn into "La Bo-heem" really quick lol

theroanypony
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:55 PM
Just because it looks pretty, doesn't mean it's going to come out sounding pretty. :lol:

CraziiPonii
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:58 PM
I like it:D

Aubreyyy
Apr. 16, 2009, 11:02 PM
If you were an announcer, would you understand

La Bohème (La Bo M)

on a card? Hmmm

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 16, 2009, 11:18 PM
If you were an announcer, would you understand

La Bohème (La Bo M)

on a card? Hmmm

Hopefully but I had several announcers mispronounce 'Coyote' and 'Skye' in the past so you really can't win...eventually the name will be butchered! You may as well like it going in.

Don't even get me started on the extreme variations of my last name over the years :lol:.

rabicon
Apr. 17, 2009, 09:54 AM
It maybe hard for announcers :yes: But my guys show name is Big Bad Wolf so it can't be any funnier or goofier than that :lol:

LivviesMom
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:09 AM
Originally my mare was named Viva La Vie by her breeder.. seems easy enough right? WRONG! She was announced as v-eye-va la v-eye soooo many times!
That name was not available with the Jockey Club so she became Love and Laughter instead.. much easier and nicer!

I don't think there is such a thing as a stupid name if it means something to the owner. You may not like it or think its silly, but they dont.

Dramapony_misty
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
There was a kid on my local circuit who would change his horse's name every year. Last year it was "Bear Nayked" So when the announcer did the placings it was "in X place, [kids's name] riding 'bare naked'." :-P

BAC
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
I don't think its stupid and its not my call anyway. I wouldn't decide on a name based on how the announcer may pronounce it either.

RugBug
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:50 AM
Originally my mare was named Viva La Vie by her breeder.. .

That's an awesome name. Too bad it got butchered. It surprises me the common words that get mangled by announcers. I ride an Orion. I can't tell you how many times he gets called Or-ee-on. When we put (constellation) on the form to help out...we get 'Or-ee-on Constellation'. :lol: O'Ryan works...but then points get recorded incorrectly. I get all sad for the state of the world that someone wouldn't recognize the word Orion.

I think La Boheme is pretty. Yes, it will get mangled sometimes, but I think most people should get it. It's not like you'd be using some obscure French phase.

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 12:22 PM
I like it.
If people don't get it or can't pronounce it, chalk it up to them being Uncultured Goons. :)

Aubreyyy
Apr. 17, 2009, 12:28 PM
I like it.
If people don't get it or can't pronounce it, chalk it up to them being Uncultured Goons. :)

I agree 100% :) I live in NYC, so I know that it wouldn't be a problem in this area... but where I grew up in NC, I seriously doubt if 25% of people would pronouce it correctly, and out of those people, probably 5% would actually get the reference! :eek:

I really like it too!

lonewolf
Apr. 17, 2009, 12:51 PM
I like it! I think it is a popular enough opera that at least a few people would have heard of it.

For those of you who have your horses' names mispronounced, you can always ask the guy at the ingate to radio the announcer with the correct pronounciation. Most announcers want to get it right.

As someone who speaks French, I have to wince when I hear some of the butchering French names go through. It can be pretty painful to hear.

indygirl2560
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:32 PM
Originally my mare was named Viva La Vie by her breeder.. seems easy enough right? WRONG! She was announced as v-eye-va la v-eye soooo many times!
That name was not available with the Jockey Club so she became Love and Laughter instead.. much easier and nicer!

I don't think there is such a thing as a stupid name if it means something to the owner. You may not like it or think its silly, but they dont.
My friend's old show horse was named C'est La Vie! Thoroughly butchered as well!

To the OP....I like it! It's cute!