PDA

View Full Version : Commonwealth Park H/J show/non-competing horse question

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 16, 2009, 07:51 AM
Hello everyone. I am an eventer and don't frequent this board often, but I had a question for any VA people or people who frequent the Culpeper shows.

I have a green 9 y/o OTTB that I am eventing now and he is fabulous with his jumping. We are getting the dressage stuff down at home, but at shows, he really loses it either in the warmup ring or when we get to the actual show ring. It's all just tension. My trainer suggested that we go "hang out" at some shows. I did that a lot the first year I had him, but I think he just needs more experience in the show ring and more time to hang at shows. My question is, can I take him as a non-competing horse to Culpeper, probably during the week in July, and just hang and/or get on a hack a little? Do I have to pay and how do I go about getting permission? Thanks for any info.

IslandGirl
Apr. 16, 2009, 08:01 AM
You (and your wallet) would be a lot better off finding and going to some local schooling shows and using the schooling sessions and under saddle classes as practice. Culpeper schooling areas can be an absolute NIGHTMARE and would not necessarily be the best experience for your OR your horse.

Many OTTBs "lose it" in hectic schooling rings, with the commotion of horses coming at them from all different directions. I usually lead the "first timers" or the ones who have trouble adapting in the schooling area before I attempt to ride them in the chaos.

Do yourself and your horse a BIG favor and keep it lower key until your boy gets a little more comfortable with numerous horses in the ring. Hand walk him around first, then get on and just walk. Once he settles, then start to trot, etc. It takes some horses a while to adapt, others get it right away.

Janet
Apr. 16, 2009, 08:21 AM
The full HITS prize list and entry form is available on their web site (IIRC www.hitsshows.com (http://www.hitsshows.com)) which should answer your question.

But if dressage is the problem, why not take him to some dressage shows to hang out?

justdandy
Apr. 16, 2009, 08:57 AM
I totally, 100% agree with IslandGirl!!!!!! HITS Culpeper is probably not the best place to take your guy. Definitely stick to the more local shows.

Good luck!

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 16, 2009, 05:12 PM
Well, he's competed a 6 recognized HT's so far and numerous dressage shows/CTs. We've been in some pretty hectic jumping/dressage warmups. He doesn't mind the jumping warmups. I have gone to dressage schooling shows, but there are never more than 5 people there at a time.

I have been to Culpeper before and know what to expect. I was thinking more like just hand grazing most of the day and standing around the ring. Possible getting on if it wasn't too bad.

Windswept Stable
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:18 PM
You can probably find a cheaper place to "hang out"
I would think you would pay grounds fees, office fees, non -showing fees, etc... the hang out experiece would have quite a price tag. There are no freebies at A shows.
Personally, I would go hang out at some local shows-- much less costly for what your horse needs.

mvp
Apr. 17, 2009, 12:05 AM
Find a cheaper show or groom at this one, but I think multiple-day shows are good for your purposes. The nice grazing at Culpeper is a plus. There is a definite advantage to giving him three or four days in a row at a show. He needs time to figure it out. It also doesn't hurt if he comes out day three or four to the same chaos just a little tired and more likely to just give up and chill.

Aubreyyy
Apr. 17, 2009, 12:24 AM
I think the reason she wants to take him there is the fact that they ARE hectic?

If he only bugs out in crazy environments, Low Key Stables montly schooling show isn't going to really help him.

It will be expensive I'm sure, but I'd go for it. I'd take him to the craziest areas with all of the people and just make him deal with it until it's old hat. Being calm and eating grass is much more fun than freaking out, they all evenutally figure that out.

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 17, 2009, 07:23 AM
I think the reason she wants to take him there is the fact that they ARE hectic?

If he only bugs out in crazy environments, Low Key Stables montly schooling show isn't going to really help him.

It will be expensive I'm sure, but I'd go for it. I'd take him to the craziest areas with all of the people and just make him deal with it until it's old hat. Being calm and eating grass is much more fun than freaking out, they all evenutally figure that out.

Yeah, this is what I mean. And I don't think he's going to be a nuisance to anyone else. If anything, from the ground, he just gets very "tall" and bug-eyed. I'll check out the prize list and see how much it costs.

2bayboys
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
I have taken horses over to Commonwealth Park plenty of times just to school. There is nobody at the entrance gate checking to see if your horse is entered, and there is no requirement in the schooling rings for horses to have numbers. You only need to be entered if you are going in ticketed schooling in one of the show rings. This may be against written rules somewhere, but I have never had an issue.

Midge
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:16 PM
If you were just making it a day trip, it wouldn't cost you anything. Park in day parking, then take him around the grounds, then go home. If you are thinking of overnighting, it would be expensive.

Equinoxfox
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hey I totally agree with Island Girl. YOU can find a lot better places to go other than Culpeper. IT is a horrible place to take a nervous horse .;)
You should come to Summerplace. They have a wonderful facility , you can do the schooling and the pleasure classes or even under saddle classes. Besides Tom is awesome and most of the trainers there are very friendly and would be great to give you any assistance you may need.
OH what about other small shows around Middleburg there are TONS you can go too and save some cash doing it .. Bring him out and have some fun.:yes:

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 17, 2009, 07:38 PM
Where is Summerplace?

I honestly just thought of Culpeper since it's an easy drive for me, I'm familiar with the show grounds, it runs during the week, and I enjoy watching the classes. In fact, I wanted to go this weekend and watch the GP, but my other TB needs a final gallop before his HT next weekend. A day trip is all I want.

Janet
Apr. 17, 2009, 09:54 PM
Where is Summerplace?

I honestly just thought of Culpeper since it's an easy drive for me, I'm familiar with the show grounds, it runs during the week, and I enjoy watching the classes. In fact, I wanted to go this weekend and watch the GP, but my other TB needs a final gallop before his HT next weekend. A day trip is all I want.
Summerplace is very close to Great Meadow, but on the other side of 17. Good shows. When Belle was having problems that only appeard at shows, I took her there.

piaffeprincess98
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:05 AM
Oh ok. I think I know that place, you can see if from the road. Maybe I'll check it out.

Nootka
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:39 PM
what about hazelwild and the TWA shows? Are they still up and running? You could go there