PDA

View Full Version : 3' Equitation: Fleece Line Leather or T-boots?

flyracing
Apr. 16, 2009, 05:09 AM
Hi, I need some input for my first eq class. I have show jumping and eventing experience so dress and tack for the eq classes is a bit of a learning curve :) I have three options for boots, what would be most appropriate for an adult equitation class at 3' at a show with 'A' and 'C' hunters (sorry, not familiar enough with the rating thing to really know what that means, but they have a GP at regional level each week if that makes any difference)
What I have: 1) Very nice, fleece lined leather boots lightly used from when there were in style.
2) Black, T-Boot
3) No boots

Thanks for the help!

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 16, 2009, 05:21 AM
Personally I'm a fan of no boots if your horse doesn't need them but otherwise I'd go with the T boots. Clean and understated is the way to go IMO, I find fleece to be distracting and it's also not as popular in the eq ring as it once was.

HunterJumper106
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:09 AM
I vote no boots or leather boots that are black neoprene lined--no fleece. Fleece is distracting. When I ride my horse in the equitation I ride in the leather boots that are neoprene lined. I would ride without any at all but my beast always hits himself for some reason.

KaterasEqGirl
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:19 AM
Go with the T-Boots, they are subtle and look great =]

showmom858
Apr. 16, 2009, 11:15 AM
We either do the nice leather boots that are neoprene (no fleece) or just nice back wraps for the eq/medals.

Tex Mex
Apr. 16, 2009, 12:50 PM
I see more and more people showing in the black T boots in the equitation so I think it's ok, especially if your horse has black legs. Stay away from the fleece!

Pirateer
Apr. 16, 2009, 05:21 PM
You can wear your leather with fleece as long as the fleece is minimal. Its just a local eq class, people. :P

flyracing
Apr. 16, 2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all of the replies! Looks like the fleece boots will continue to stay in the storage closet :cool:.

My horse is a bay, so the t-boots are very subtle.

Some one had mentioned black polos. Are those ok? They'd be hardly noticable on black legs anyways.

Thanks again!

Rhody Ram
Apr. 16, 2009, 07:06 PM
Black polos are always okay

IsolaBella09
Apr. 16, 2009, 07:31 PM
I hate fleece, so I say TBoots or you could always do black polos, as suggested already.

Jsalem
Apr. 16, 2009, 07:59 PM
Do me a favor and burn the leather with fleece boots. It just looks like an equitation "costume". Boots/wraps are supposed to be leg protection for a hard working athlete. I want to scream when I see folks go in an under saddle class, then rush to the gate to have the big fleecy boots put on for the flat eq class. It is just...so....dumb.

Pirateer
Apr. 16, 2009, 08:08 PM
Do me a favor and burn the leather with fleece boots. It just looks like an equitation "costume". Boots/wraps are supposed to be leg protection for a hard working athlete. I want to scream when I see folks go in an under saddle class, then rush to the gate to have the big fleecy boots put on for the flat eq class. It is just...so....dumb.

Ok, I get you on the boots for eq flat class "costume"- and I have seen it over and over and its a little pathetic, but for a 3' eq class? Maybe not so unreasonable to wear boots?

(This is assuming they are a nice leather boot with a light sheepskin, not the "sheep died under my boot" look.)

Jsalem
Apr. 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
No leather with fleece boots for the 3' eq. Black polos or nothing. Come on, people.

Kahuna
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:21 PM
Did the 3' eq/finals for a few years and never used boots nor polos.

PonyPenny
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:22 PM
It is too bad so many people have those sheepskin boots that look like a sheep is wrapped aroung your horses leg. Beval sold a ton of those and they were quite expensive. People are unloading them in droves on ebay. I also like the traditional buckles as opposed to the stud closures. You do not wan't the judge to be distracted by whats on your horses legs.

superpony123
Apr. 16, 2009, 11:06 PM
both work really, but i prefer T boots. The only time i dont see fleece to be totally annoying is if you are riding on grass, and that's when its not wet. the last thing you want is to get wet sheepskin/fleece as well as footing sticking to it that will rub against your horses skin. I personally prefer leather boots without sheepskin or fleece lining, over anything else, but you have what you have and theres no sense in buying another pair of boots. If your horse has sensitive skin, the fuzzy boots might be the best, however, like i said, consider the footing that you will be riding on. if it's grainy or wet, it might do more harm than good, if it starts to collect in the boot and rub your horse. T boots are always a good choice as far as function, but as far as appearance goes, i think they look nice on a black, bay, or grey horse, but they do look a little funny to me on a chestut or something lighter. just because it stands out more.

mvp
Apr. 16, 2009, 11:30 PM
OMG I'm old. I was grooming and riding the rank ones when the Equitation Princesses were all riding in those newmarket-n-fleece boots Beval's sold by the thousands. Lots of fleece, light tan, front AND back, people.

So when I found a pair of the Havana and more subtle fleece ones (with the baghide pattern going up and down, not sideways, for easier cleaning always done by me) I was all over them. I'll drag those bad boys out for the old lady eq class, because the Eq Princess dream dies hard.

Anyhoo, I'll also keep those pups because I think black polos on a black/bay leg make the horse look too thick, as if there are some bumps and milage on the legs. I can't picture choosing a contrasting color, so I don't see how polos work well in the eq ring. JMO.

Pirateer
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:49 AM
So when I found a pair of the Havana and more subtle fleece ones (with the baghide pattern going up and down, not sideways, for easier cleaning always done by me) I was all over them. I'll drag those bad boys out for the old lady eq class, because the Eq Princess dream dies hard.

I love those baghide boots. I used them in the Adult Eq/Medals/Jumpers.

toxicity
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:03 PM
Sorry to hijack this, but with all the resentment towards fleece lined boots, I would like to ask, are these appropriate? (http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j270/xXxMySweetRevengexXx/Horses/n691356754_1996553_1543645.jpg) The picture on the website didn't show any fleece and when I got them they had it...:confused: I do 3' Medal like the OP.

J. Turner
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:11 PM
OMG I'm old. I was grooming and riding the rank ones when the Equitation Princesses were all riding in those newmarket-n-fleece boots Beval's sold by the thousands. Lots of fleece, light tan, front AND back, people.

Anyhoo, I'll also keep those pups because I think black polos on a black/bay leg make the horse look too thick, as if there are some bumps and milage on the legs. I can't picture choosing a contrasting color, so I don't see how polos work well in the eq ring. JMO.

I have a pair of those Beval bag hide hind ankle boots and love them. I don't mind a little fleece. I wish I had the matching fronts, but I got them about 5 years ago on ebay for quiet the deal. I have a pair of buckle medium brown leather boots with removable fleece. Actually it's not even real fleece. They're not too fleecy though.

I don't think it matters that much what you put on your horse's legs for 3' eq as long as it's legal. The best round is going to win.

mvp
Apr. 18, 2009, 12:18 AM
The boots are fine.

Their appropriateness depends on just how close you want to come to the Platonic Form of the eq picture, and that changes with time.

I didn't want to post something entirely uppity, so I held off from making this pronouncement. I'll make it now, in good humor:

There Will Be No plastic, velcro, synthetic fleece in Plato's perfect, Formal world. Whatever y'all watching the shadows on the cave wall want to do is fine, I suppose. But then you are chained to the wall of a cave and asking fussy questions.