PDA

View Full Version : How to remove SKUNK smell???!!!

Fiat Lux
Apr. 16, 2009, 12:26 AM
Help!!! My dog got up close and personal with a skunk tonight and now everything (including me) smells skunk! I rubbed him all over with tomato juice, then gave him a bath, but he still smells. Any favorite products or home remedies for getting rid of the skunk smell would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Crooked Horse
Apr. 16, 2009, 12:45 AM
This will work...ask me how I know...

1 Qt. (the big bottle) hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
2 T Dawn dish soap

Mix in bucket, sponge on dog, rinse well! Viola!!

Tip - do not store any leftover mix and never cover with a lid...could explode. Yikes.

SimpsoMatt
Apr. 16, 2009, 01:03 AM
For scientific confirmation of Crooked Horse's formula, see

http://www.humboldt.edu/~wfw2/skunkspray.shtml

LoriO
Apr. 16, 2009, 01:46 AM
I can vouch for CrookedHorse's concoction from personal experience!!! It really works! Rub it in to the coat well and let it sit for a bit and then rinse out.

We used that on our dogs when they got sprayed and we had them back inside the house sleeping with us that night.

HalfArabian
Apr. 16, 2009, 06:30 AM
I can also confirm the effectiveness of said recipe! Shadow seems to forget the black and white Kitties wear perfume.:)

merrygoround
Apr. 16, 2009, 06:59 AM
I can also confirm the effectiveness of said recipe! Shadow seems to forget the black and white Kitties wear perfume.:)

O Good! Now he can do it again. :lol:

JanM
Apr. 16, 2009, 08:43 AM
If you don't want to do the mixture you can also use the iodine premade douche from the drug store, or baking soda based toothpaste-one large tube will make a lab minty fresh.

CB/TB
Apr. 16, 2009, 08:52 AM
Yup, that's the formula the DEM guys in RI use. My son's dog's groomer also adds a bit of minty toothpaste to the blend. You actually leave the concoction on for 10 minutes, then rinse and dry. You can also re-apply as needed.

Rebmik
Apr. 16, 2009, 09:56 AM
I ALWAYS HAVE Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda and Dawn dish detergent on hand once I start seeing the smooched ones in the road...cause I know my dog is going to "happen" upon one shortly.
THE ONLY THING THAT works! After bathing them you can actually bring the dog in the house! It works that well.

rebeginner
Apr. 16, 2009, 02:43 PM
If you wash your dog in tomato juice, it will just end up smelling like a very rank Bloody Mary!!

I've found that you may have to do more than one application on the area that received the direct hit. Unfortunately, that's often the face. :(

BuddyRoo
Apr. 16, 2009, 03:42 PM
My dog got nailed 4 times in 10 days.

I didn't have the special concoction on hand. So I used johnson and johnson baby shampoo because the majority of the stink was on his face.

I had to go to the vet the next day for bloodwork and they said they couldn't smell it unless they put their nose right up close.

'Course, I couldn't smell a bloody thing because when he initially got skunked, I stuck my nose right up to him and took a whiff. That stuff is like nose napalm! Singed the hairs and burned up the sensors. LOL It smells NOTHING like skunk when it's in that concentrated form. SUffice it to say I "smelled" skunk for the better part of a week..though all assured me that my dog nor I still stunk.

Ride'emCO
Apr. 16, 2009, 04:04 PM
http://reviews.petco.com/3554/12915/reviews.htm

Microbe Clean is the most amazing stuff EVER!!! I can't stress enough how effective and safe this stuff is; MUCH better than Nature's Miracle or anything else I've tried. I use it for spots on my carpet - doggie or otherwise - as well as laundry stains. I've yet to see it fail! The label says it works on skunk spray, but I've never had to test that. :D

Ride'emCO
Apr. 16, 2009, 04:14 PM
Just realized Petco no longer sells it. But you can find it here: http://hvpet.com/online-pet-supplies-store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

Fiat Lux
Apr. 16, 2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks so much, everyone! My dog smells much better now! Hopefully he's learned his lesson about black and white kitties!

LoriO
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks so much, everyone! My dog smells much better now! Hopefully he's learned his lesson about black and white kitties!

I can guarantee that he will not have learned a lesson!! He will go right back and play with that black and white kitty again. :D:lol::D

RiverBendPol
Apr. 17, 2009, 08:54 AM
Massengill Douche. Mix it up double strength what is recommended on the package. Will not hurt eyes, removes all stink. This stuff REALLY works. You might feel funny buying a few boxes but you may as well get your Preparation-H and K-Y Jelly at the same time and really freak out the poor cashier:winkgrin:

Ride'emCO
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:05 PM
Massengill Douche. Mix it up double strength what is recommended on the package. Will not hurt eyes, removes all stink. This stuff REALLY works. You might feel funny buying a few boxes but you may as well get your Preparation-H and K-Y Jelly at the same time and really freak out the poor cashier:winkgrin:

And don't forget the rubber gloves! :lol:

Mimi La Rue
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
This will work...ask me how I know...

1 Qt. (the big bottle) hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
2 T Dawn dish soap

Mix in bucket, sponge on dog, rinse well! Viola!!

Tip - do not store any leftover mix and never cover with a lid...could explode. Yikes.

My 3 pugs got sprayed (all at once :o) and this got the smell off of them.

WingedPanda
Apr. 17, 2009, 01:50 PM
And don't forget the rubber gloves! :lol:

And the 6 industrial size bottles of metamucil. :yes:

li'l bit
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:35 PM
I can guarantee that he will not have learned a lesson!! He will go right back and play with that black and white kitty again. :D:lol::D

Ditto!!!:D:D:D

crosscreeksh
Apr. 17, 2009, 10:46 PM
One night about midnight when I let our 4 dogs out of the house my big male GSD ran at what he thought was a stray cat - black and white!! As he came running back through the door into the house we smelled his "mistaken identity". I had to flush his eyes with water and put in ointment for the burning, but 100 pounds of stinky dog was another matter!! At a loss for tomato juice and anything else, I grabbed a spray bottle of "Pet Odor" Febreeze and sprayed away!! - not on his face. I couldn't believe that it actually worked!! Made a couple more applications the next day, but the odor was essentially taken away. Lucky guess...but it DID work!!

bit-o-honey
Apr. 17, 2009, 11:38 PM
Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover, available at PetSmart.

My horse got sprayed one night last fall. In her brand new heavy turnout blanket. This stuff worked on the horse and the blanket with no ill effects. Really worked!

I think it was because my BF and I were driving down the road...the car in front of us hit a BIG skunk, it went rolling, spraying, we couldn't avoid it and finished it off, not before it sprayed the entire side of the car.

After this, a skunk came in the barn with me and the horses, sniffing around for food like he owned the place, and held us hostage for an hour before we snuck out, tiptoeing so as not to stress him out and cause him to spray. He was still in the barn when I got the last horse out!

Later that week was when the horse got sprayed in the field. (she's a bit like a dog).

Skunk karma...stinks :lol:

LoriO
Apr. 18, 2009, 01:07 AM
I can vouch that the Febreeze really does work to get out the skunk smell. We have indoor/outdoor carpeting in the mud room and one of the dogs immediately started rubbing the skunk spray all over everything.

Soaked it down with febreeze and voila..smell was gone!