PDA

View Full Version : Dover "Cheveaux" Saddles

Aubreyyy
Apr. 15, 2009, 10:16 AM
Looking a used one online. Can anyone tell me anything about them?

Also, the saddle in question is a more orangey color than I'd like to put on a dark horse. Any reports on how they take oil and darken up?

LARGEBORE
Apr. 15, 2009, 10:25 AM
OMG I think this is another 'FRENCH" designer saddle. I think made in China... oh well as long as they are having fun.

JB
Apr. 15, 2009, 10:39 AM
According to this it's made in England.

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv354/NewbieEventer/Dover%20Cheveaux%20CC%20Saddle/

LARGEBORE
Apr. 15, 2009, 10:44 AM
According to this it's made in England.

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv354/NewbieEventer/Dover%20Cheveaux%20CC%20Saddle/

Then I am sure that it is. Just never heard of it.

JB
Apr. 15, 2009, 10:49 AM
I've never heard of that model either, so that would worry me that it seemed to be such a short-lived make.

soloudinhere
Apr. 15, 2009, 01:15 PM
OMG I think this is another 'FRENCH" designer saddle. I think made in China... oh well as long as they are having fun.

Oh just stop.

The saddle is at least 10 years old. I just dug out a 1999 Dover catalog and it's not in there, so it must have been from before that. Long before this much hated trend you're obsessed about commenting on.

And no, not made in China, nor are any of the other saddle brands you constantly comment on.

JB
Apr. 15, 2009, 01:17 PM
I just dug out a 1999 Dover catalog

I don't know whether to :lol: at you or bring you a straight jacket :winkgrin:

MILOUTE55
Apr. 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'm really hoping they're not trying to call it the translation of "horses" in French.... because it's spelled CHEVAUX and not CHEVEAUX so they'd be stamping all these saddles with a ridiculous typing mistake.... :D

Unless they really meant to call it "hair", but then it would have to be "CHEVEUX", there would still be a mistake and I don't see the point of calling a saddle "hair"....

(not that I see the point of calling a saddle "horses", unless the other model is called "cow" or something :winkgrin:)

The only acceptable explanation would be if Cheveaux was somebody's last name.... otherwise it doesn't make any sense in French the way it is spelled.

vxf111
Apr. 15, 2009, 04:31 PM
If it's a misspelling, it's probably the end-consumer re-selling it used online who misspelled --- and not Dover in the first place. Could be that the seller is entirely confused/misstaken about the model name.

You should see how things get mangled/misspelled in ads by sellers who just don't know any better. Want to buy a Jojohn Stubben saddle or a Devacoo saddle? I've seen those spellings on eBay :) People just don't know how to spell.

MILOUTE55
Apr. 15, 2009, 04:47 PM
hi Veronica :), that's what I thought too, but in one of the pictures you can clearly see that the billet protector is stamped "CHEVEAUX".... it's one thing to type a mistake, it's another to encarve it in a piece of leather :D

But I totally agree, I see all kinds of funky spellings on the internet!

vxf111
Apr. 15, 2009, 05:04 PM
I totally missed that there were pictures...

It actually is a fairly nice looking saddle, and yes indeed it is stamped "cheveaux." A little orange looking for my tastes but not as bad looking saddle overall.

Maybe there was someone else calling their saddle "chevaux" and Dover wanted to be slightly different? Of they thought it was a cutsey misspelling (like spelling "light" "lyte" or something?)

OP, you should call Dover and ask about the saddle-- I bet they could fill you in on where it came from, how old it is, and why it's called "cheveaux."

LARGEBORE
Apr. 15, 2009, 05:21 PM
ALTERAGEOUS, hope you feel better.

MILOUTE55
Apr. 15, 2009, 05:47 PM

LARGEBORE, I'm curious.... how old are you?

Sarabeth
Apr. 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
IGNORE prevents headaches and pains in other places :D

atouchofclass
Apr. 15, 2009, 11:11 PM
What is " IGNORE prevents headaches and pains in other places" all about ?

LARGEBORE
Apr. 15, 2009, 11:33 PM
LARGEBORE, I'm curious.... how old are you? 28