PDA

View Full Version : So, What helmets are 'in'?

_downpour_
Apr. 15, 2009, 04:59 AM
I'm in the market for a new show helmet, and was wondering which one to go for? I'm assuming the GPA's are out? The CO Gr8's seem popular though? I have a navy coat, which colour helmet? I used to have the navy GPA titium which looked OK...
Also, the GR8's - I don't think they have vents like the GPA? Does your head get incredibly sweaty from it not having vents?

Pirateer
Apr. 15, 2009, 05:01 AM
I don't think the GPAs are OUT.

GR8's were the helmet du jour, and probably will continue- although will see variations like the AYR8 and the Wellington Pro.

Still, its whatever fits your head best. (I'm a fan of the Navy GPA also)

Heineken
Apr. 15, 2009, 08:10 AM
Whatever fits your head is what's in...

Indy
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:03 AM

Exactly.

Don't worry about what is "in," worry about what fits your head.

vestito
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:14 AM
ok so lets talk about fit, since I too need a helmet. I have a navy CO which I love but was going to only use if for dressage shows. Not sure if it would fit in at the local H/J shows....

I have an oval head and my GPA which is ten years old, now is loose. Fit great when I bought it but my head has changed the padding. Are the GPA's made to fit a rounder head? I haven't worn my CO yet and its been in the box for three years now. I hate to ride in for everyday use like I did my GPA.
I did see the Wellington CO and it looks pretty nice in the pics. Guess I need to go see it in person and try it on.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:35 AM
ok so lets talk about fit, since I too need a helmet. I have a navy CO which I love but was going to only use if for dressage shows. Not sure if it would fit in at the local H/J shows....

I have an oval head and my GPA which is ten years old, now is loose. Fit great when I bought it but my head has changed the padding. Are the GPA's made to fit a rounder head? I haven't worn my CO yet and its been in the box for three years now. I hate to ride in for everyday use like I did my GPA.
I did see the Wellington CO and it looks pretty nice in the pics. Guess I need to go see it in person and try it on.

Wow ten years is a looooong time. You're supposed to replace a helmet after five years from the date of manufacture (Stamped inside) unless you have a fall at which point you replace it then. But yes the GPA's do tend to fit people with more round heads except the 'pro' line is supposed to be more oval.

ETA: You can wear a navy CO at a local H/J show no problem as well...

HunterJumper106
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:42 AM
Definitely whatever fits. NONE of the COs fit me--at all--they look super weird! So I have 2 different GPAs--one for showing and one for schooling. Go and try on a bunch of different ones--the GPAs and the COs are both "in" and 100% acceptable in the hunters/jumpers/equitation. Go with what fits best and looks best on YOU. Good luck with the search!

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 15, 2009, 04:17 PM
I agree with everyone else about the fit thing. But as far as "in" goes, both GPAs and COs are in. I like both but the COs fit me better so I have the Jr8 to school in and the Gr8 to show in.

IsolaBella09
Apr. 15, 2009, 05:32 PM
I agree with what fits your head is in. Both the COs and the GPAs are in. I've seen more and more of the GPA Speed Airs making a scene. I love the black on black.

kaazs
Apr. 15, 2009, 05:32 PM

Agreed.

Horseshowaddict
Apr. 15, 2009, 06:49 PM
GPAs are still in, just not as many people are wearing them. Im in Wellington, I wear a textium and no one looks at me funny. That being said, the Black on Black speed air seems to be the GPA of choice, the non-contrasting colors really make a less distracting and less bug-like helmet. The new AYR8 from charles owen looks like the GR8, but has visible vents and is more lightweight.

There are enough helmets out there to get what fits. I tried both on, they both fit great, it seems the GPA's are becoming more oval, because the original titium DID NOT fit me at all.

HARROLDhasmyheart
Apr. 15, 2009, 08:23 PM
Assuming that the helmet fits, the GR8s seem to be extremely popular right now. They don't have vents, although it looks like a new one may have been developed that has some sort of a vent in the striping? It's on the cover of the new "SmartPak" magazine and caught my eye.

superpony123
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:49 PM
you can never go wrong with a classic helmet. get a CO hampton! i love mine. i dont think ill ever go back to a non-traditional helmet for shows. i'm probably going to have tons of hamptons in my life. which is okay with me! they look great with EVERYTHING. plus, theyre super comfy.

GryffinLuvr4Evr
Apr. 15, 2009, 11:05 PM
CO's are definitely in. GPA's are in too, tho.

easystride
Apr. 15, 2009, 11:20 PM
I tried on the ARY8 and it is made for an oval head for sure. Since I have a round head, I have to wear the GPA's. Although, the sales lady said that eventually CO will probably make the AYR8 helmet in a round shape. The GR8 has plenty of complaints about bad ventilation, but apparently the new AYR8 has better ventilation. People say the CO's are like wearing a pillow on your head and they are cheaper than the GPA's. But again, the AYR8 is the only helmet with good ventilation which prevents your helmet from smelling without the spray. And with the price of these helmet's, you want them to last for a couple of years. :yes:

Eq4Me
Apr. 18, 2009, 09:13 AM
I have a long oval head, and couldn't get any of the GPAs to fit (regular or Pro). The GPAs definitely are made for rounder heads.

I just bought the CO AYR8. I LOVE it. The first few times you try it on right out of the box, it will fit tight. The store representatives told me that you are supposed to put it on and take it off about 3 times to "loosen" it. I walked around the store in it before I bought it.
My AYR8 broke in after one ride, and I absolutely love it.