PDA

View Full Version : non-hunter/jumper threads

Borah
Apr. 14, 2009, 11:59 PM
I have noticed in the past while that quite a few of the threads in this forum are not actually related to hunter/jumper - we have had threads that belong in horse care or in off course or sport horse breeding.

I am a h/j rider and I come here so I can read things related to that. I don't want to read abou horse care problems here or human horse-related health issues. I would like to see questions and answers about hunter / jumper issues.

Is it too much to ask that threads that clearly have more to do with horse care, breeding, or general horse-related activities be put in the proper forum and that this one be left for at least semi h/j- related topics?

Hauwse
Apr. 15, 2009, 12:18 AM
Seriously, there is little you can do to get away from that. The majority of these threads deal with more than one specific topic, as it should be, as it is hard to separate one from the other some times.

I suggest only reading the topics you believe are specifically hunter/jumper related.

ExJumper
Apr. 15, 2009, 12:20 AM
There are quite a few topics that, although they may be "horse care," people only want to hear answers from H/J people.

For example, I might have a question about hock injections that I would post here because I want to hear about competitive, showing horses. If I posted it in Horse Care I might get replies about how their trail horse doesn't need injections or have someone tell me "if your horse needs injections he shouldn't be showing."

Perhaps you could just not READ the threads that aren't specific enough for you.

Seven-up
Apr. 15, 2009, 12:22 AM
Maybe you could offer to help the mods keep things organized. I'm sure that's not an easy job.

HARROLDhasmyheart
Apr. 15, 2009, 01:52 AM
I have noticed in the past while that quite a few of the threads in this forum are not actually related to hunter/jumper - we have had threads that belong in horse care or in off course or sport horse breeding.

I am a h/j rider and I come here so I can read things related to that. I don't want to read abou horse care problems here or human horse-related health issues. I would like to see questions and answers about hunter / jumper issues.

Is it too much to ask that threads that clearly have more to do with horse care, breeding, or general horse-related activities be put in the proper forum and that this one be left for at least semi h/j- related topics?

I hate to be snarky, but technically YOUR post is not H/J related. Complaining about the organization of this board doesn't actually have to do with anything horse-related, at all. Except for maybe the people.

Consider looking into the suggestion of just not reading threads that don't apply to you; they may not all be H/J related, but all come from H/J people and thus are at least in the same arena (no pun intended). As ExJumper said, when people post questions in this particular forum they tend to want answers to people who come from the specific background.

The moral of this story is, if you don't like it, don't read it. I may not have a hot horse or questions about hock injections, but as those threads are still posted here I either a) skip them or b) read them and take them as a learning opportunity.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Apr. 15, 2009, 08:26 AM
When I post a thread on this forum it's because I want advise from the hunter/jumper perspective...different forums may have different responses for the same question.

leelee
Apr. 15, 2009, 08:39 AM

I, for example, posted a saddle fitting question in the H/J forum because I wanted opinions from people that do what I do, and have the same "type" of saddle as me.

I suggest skipping over the threads you don't want to read.

merrygoround
Apr. 15, 2009, 10:27 AM
I, for example, posted a saddle fitting question in the H/J forum because I wanted opinions from people that do what I do, and have the same "type" of saddle as me.

I suggest skipping over the threads you don't want to read.

:) :yes:

Borah
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks - I'm a big girl and know how to skip threads I don't want to read. I also understand that sometimes a h/j perspective is required for a horse care issue, for example. I consider that a h/j thread. I guess I don't understand how discussing hot flashes is h/j specific nor is talking about how horses urinate. If there is a thread asking which discipline over-50 riders are planning to take up, I'm guessing that is not a specific h/j thread.

As I said, I can and do skip threads. Increasingly, I don't open a sinle thread on the h/j forum. Increasingly, I don't bother to check COTH. And that's fine - all boards evolve and I guess that is what is going on here.

Anyway, I asked my question and it's been answered.
Thanks.

xabbracadabra
Apr. 16, 2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks - I'm a big girl and know how to skip threads I don't want to read. I also understand that sometimes a h/j perspective is required for a horse care issue, for example. I consider that a h/j thread. I guess I don't understand how discussing hot flashes is h/j specific nor is talking about how horses urinate. If there is a thread asking which discipline over-50 riders are planning to take up, I'm guessing that is not a specific h/j thread.

As I said, I can and do skip threads. Increasingly, I don't open a sinle thread on the h/j forum. Increasingly, I don't bother to check COTH. And that's fine - all boards evolve and I guess that is what is going on here.

Anyway, I asked my question and it's been answered.
Thanks.

But those ARE H/J relate threads...Last time i checked there were H/J devision divided by age such as Adult Eq 35+ and Child/Adult Jumpers just to name two. As for the horses urinating thread at events and other shows a lot of people stable overnight but for a lot of H/J shows people are only there for one day unless they are at WEF, HITS, Devon, Lake Placid, and the other huge AA shows. If you get so annoyed over such little things maybe it would be better for you to leave instead of being mature enough to find what you want.

ToolTime
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:10 AM
... I also understand that sometimes a h/j perspective is required for a horse care issue, for example. I consider that a h/j thread. I guess I don't understand how discussing hot flashes is h/j specific nor is talking about how horses urinate. If there is a thread asking which discipline over-50 riders are planning to take up, I'm guessing that is not a specific h/j thread.

FWIW, I totally agree with the OP that there have been an increasing number of threads that are a better fit for Off Course or another forum. It is as if some members come to COTH to only dialogue only with H/J people. Of course, that is their preference, but I don't believe that was the intent of COTH's designers in creating separate forums.

For me the issue is that some of the threads in question could benefit from input from other disciplines AND the questions themselves could benefit other than H/J people. Dialogue across disciplines is a good thing and can only lead to better horsemanship.

Obviously people can do what they want, but there is really no need to be snarky or uncivil about any of this. Just an opinion.

theoldgreymare
Apr. 16, 2009, 11:13 AM
I think the mods do a difficult job and do it well. Is it necessary for them to police every single thread on the boards? If you feel something is not H/J specific, then PM a mod and let them know. If they agree, they'll move it.

Anselcat
Apr. 16, 2009, 01:05 PM
You need a certain critical mass of people reading and interacting on a forum to keep it alive and useful. If all the posts here were strictly limited to H/J questions, I have a feeling it would become a less helpful forum, rather than more. The number of people, as well as the amount of traffic, would decrease. Moderation in all things (including moderating) is usually a good policy for practical reasons.

mvp
Apr. 16, 2009, 01:53 PM
I agree that "feeding a horse" or even "conditioning a horse" or "what's a half halt?" ought not to be discpline specific questions.

But they are, or have become that here because the horse world is being carved up into showing specialties, then training and breeding specialties, and then insular communities of ammies within each.

It shouldn't be that way, and didn't used to be back in the day. I learned the most about conditioning and saddle fitting from eventers and competitive distance riders. I learned how to define and ride a half halt from the dressage world, and I learned about nicely-broke horses from some good western folk.

So I post the question where I think the most knowledgeable audience is. I also read broadly. What's the problem? We might all benefit from looking outside our specialty!

Other wise the old adage "Take what you like and leave the rest" usually works fine.

Hood Rat
Apr. 16, 2009, 02:21 PM
this is a popular forum and alot of people check this one more regularly than the other coth forums so i am happy when there are many topics here... this is the only one i have bookmarked.. I am a hunter/jumper so I like to have all my horse needs addressed in one forum its convenient I like the board.. its the most active I think

kellyb
Apr. 17, 2009, 02:24 PM
There are quite a few topics that, although they may be "horse care," people only want to hear answers from H/J people.

For example, I might have a question about hock injections that I would post here because I want to hear about competitive, showing horses. If I posted it in Horse Care I might get replies about how their trail horse doesn't need injections or have someone tell me "if your horse needs injections he shouldn't be showing."

Precisely.

midnightrider
Apr. 17, 2009, 04:59 PM
You go Borah! I don't agree with you but you made cogent points and I learned something from this discussion. You made a valuable contribution, IMO.

Sing Mia Song
Apr. 17, 2009, 05:11 PM
This has come up before, and the mods have asked that we alert them to threads that need to be moved. Just PM the mods and, if they agree, they'll move the thread to a more appropriate place.

rabicon
Apr. 17, 2009, 06:37 PM
What do you get your panties in such a wad about it? Seriously do you have nothing better to complain about in this world and economy right now than what someone post on a h/j thread? Who cares, skip the ones you don't want to read and get on with your life. :rolleyes: Or don't come on anymore, but I'm sure that won't happen because its addictive:lol:;)

Horseymama
Apr. 17, 2009, 09:18 PM
I hate to be snarky, but technically YOUR post is not H/J related. Complaining about the organization of this board doesn't actually have to do with anything horse-related, at all. Except for maybe the people.

Agree. This thread belongs on Off Course. ;)

Moderator 1
Apr. 18, 2009, 07:02 AM
We're going to close this thread in favor of ones that are horse-related, as everyone wants. ;)

Certainly folks can get used to the mini-communities created within different disciplines' sub-forums, and sometimes a heath-related or other question can be affected by the particular demands of one discipline or another.

Users are welcome to report a thread they think might be a better fit elsewhere (reporting a thread doesn't mean you're sending the OP to the principal's office--it just serves as an efficient way to let us know we might want to have a look at something).

For those who are torn between which forum to post a topic in, make your best choice, and if after a day or two, you think it might be a better fit elsewhere, report yourself! We're generally happy to move threads to different forums if you want to tap into a different group of opinions.

Or, if you think a thread pertains to a bunch of forums, Off Course might be a good bet.

Thanks!
Mod 1