PDA

View Full Version : Pony Finals Auction

Long Shadow Farm
Apr. 14, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hello,

Has anyone ever sold a pony through this sale? I have a really fancy pony that we are starting under saddle right now that we are thinking about putting in the sale next year. He would be a 4yo and by then jumping and showing...so would it be worth it?

Any insights or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Bobbi Pratt

Jsalem
Apr. 14, 2009, 05:36 PM
It depends on what you mean by fancy. The "fancy" ponies that sell for good money are well bred welsh, welsh/TB, imported sport ponies and the like- proven show hunter pony lines. These buyers are savvy. The ponies must be excellent movers, excellent jumpers and must have temperaments suited for children. The ponies go through a demo and are tried multiple times. The best ponies are furiously bid on. Ponies that don't pass muster often no-sale or sell for next to nothing. No offense to the following, but the QH type and the more common looking won't do well. Neither will a pretty, good moving, but bad jumping type.

eqrider1234
Apr. 14, 2009, 05:39 PM
not to hijack the thread but I too am interested, [edit]
Im considering taking her to the auction but since im in florida im not sure if it is worth it with gas and all?

Serah
Apr. 14, 2009, 05:49 PM
What does it cost to enter the auction??

eqrider1234
Apr. 14, 2009, 07:30 PM
he sounds nice, how far are you from the auction? i think that will be a big determining factor for us because we are pretty far. My pony is currently for sale so hopefully someone will buy her before the auction! :cool:

quicksilverponies
Apr. 14, 2009, 08:08 PM
I usually sell 2 or 3 at the Pony Finals auction every year. I have had great results for the most part. The ponies must be fancy, good movers and jumpers, at least well started and safe for a kid to ride. Mine are usually young and green, but all of the above. The MOST important thing, in my opinion, is to hire an agent to represent you if you are relatively unknown. I use Oliver Brown and I can't recommend him enough - he is great, but there are a few others that sell in the top $$ every year as well. The buyers that spend the most $$ are looking at ponies with reputable names attached. The consignment fees are $375 per pony (at least it was last year) and they must be accepted by Professional Auction Services - usually they ask for photos and/or video. There is a 10% commission due if the pony sells and a 5% commission if you no sell it. There is also a $40 photo fee for ad photos. If you hire an agent, then you must pay their fee as well. Usually it is a very hectic time, but we always have a lot of fun and look forward to it every year. Good luck!

Artie
Apr. 14, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think it's a great sale too! But I did see some kids trying ponies that were "interesting" riders, the ones who were nice and safe the whole time sold very well

quicksilverponies
Apr. 15, 2009, 12:12 AM
Oh yes. There are some kids there that will try every pony in the sale practically. You must be very careful and set limits as to how many kids and for how long your pony can be tried - it can be a zoo - and your pony can suffer for it if you are not careful.

lauriep
Apr. 15, 2009, 08:19 AM
A piece of advice that was given to me: it doesn't matter so much how far along your pony is (but should jump a Xrail) but whatever you claim it can do MUST be able to be done by a child. If you say it can w-t-c,then a child must be able to doit. If you say it has its changes, than a child should be able to get them. Makes sense to me.

pwynnnorman
Apr. 15, 2009, 08:39 AM
I wonder if the sale will be a bit different this year, due to the economy. Anyone think there'll be an even greater (than usual--not that there aren't usually) percentage of made show ponies with significant records (vs. fancy prospects)? Just wondering because so many ponies with decent mileage still aren't selling (market glut, maybe--but I don't know, really), so perhaps more will enter the sale after having tried unsuccessfully to sell privately? I wonder, if that seemed to be happening as the entries came in, if the auction might accept only the most outstanding younger ponies (speculation based on assuming that made ponies would sell for the highest premiums vs. all but the most exceptional younger ones)?

Tamara in TN
Apr. 15, 2009, 08:46 AM
Oh yes. There are some kids there that will try every pony in the sale practically. You must be very careful and set limits as to how many kids and for how long your pony can be tried - it can be a zoo - and your pony can suffer for it if you are not careful.

make very very careful note of what QS says here....unlike the other PAS horse sales where people don't ride unless they are really interested in an animal, the pony sales bring out every "tire kicking look how great my kid rides wanna be big on the B circuit" trainer and show mama in the world...

and IF you decline little Caitlyn's (and all 12 other spellings of the name) request for a "kick and jerk" session, then they consider that you are hiding something and tell the whole world....

be very very careful

regards

Moderator 1
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:11 AM
You're welcome to discuss the auction in general, but please keep the specific details re: ponies currently for sale out of the thread to comply with the no-advertising policy.

Thanks!
Mod 1

gasrgoose
Apr. 15, 2009, 10:12 AM
FYI This is probably the case with most auctions, but once your entry is accepted, if you sale it yourself before the auction you still have to pay the auction.

Long Shadow Farm
Apr. 15, 2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys.

I live in Oklahoma and Kentucky isn't that bad of a trip from here. Plus it would be fun to see everything. I am thinking about trying to do the 2010 Pony Auction with this gelding. Mod... didn't mean for my description to sound like a sale ad... it was more to show the one poster that he wasn't a little QH but something that is bred for this kinda thing. The little guy won't even been for sale until I get him going over fences, etc.

Looks like that sale might be something to keep on the horizon.

Bobbi

Jsalem
Apr. 15, 2009, 11:25 AM
For those of you with experience selling through this sale, how do you limit the number of rides on your pony? How do you weed through the tire kickers to only allow trials on the pony from legit trainers? I've seen some very nice ponies just get used and abused to the point where they "demo" very badly because they're over it. Ideas?

Lexus
Apr. 15, 2009, 01:34 PM
For those of you with experience selling through this sale, how do you limit the number of rides on your pony? How do you weed through the tire kickers to only allow trials on the pony from legit trainers? I've seen some very nice ponies just get used and abused to the point where they "demo" very badly because they're over it. Ideas?

I'd be interested in the answer to this as well. I have a 5 year old small that I would like to enter in the auction. I've been very careful with her so far and I don't want her ruined if I end up bringing her back home. She knows her job thus far but is still too green to let every tire kicking kid/show mom practice on ;). Couldn't I let my daughter do the demo ride and a select few others? Does the hired sales agent typically screen trials? My pony won't be the fanciest and best bred but she'll hold her own. I just don't want to put her at a disadvantage either.

I feel like the economy is already a big strike against me.

eqrider1234
Apr. 15, 2009, 03:09 PM
sorry mods, i just wanted to see if people thought she was a good candidate for the sale since it is such a long trip, i would hate to drive the what, 16 hours and find out that isnt the kind of pony that sells good at the auction. :cool:

Do you guys think that the ponies are selling as high as they did in previous years?

VirginiaBred
Apr. 16, 2009, 07:45 AM
Regardless of the economy, you will always have some that sell high. Most of the time it's all about who consigns them.

IPHF
Apr. 16, 2009, 09:20 PM
If you don't know if your pony fits the bill to sale well, then send Tim a video and he will give you an honest opinion. I would expect that after the success of last year's sale, that PAS will be very selective on what they take in '09. The key to last year's success is that folks who normally would pay over 100K were "on a budget" and were tickled to get a great pony for 50K (a great price for this sale). The good news is that gas and hotels prices are down because of the economy and if you've never gone, it's a great show. And I don't know where it will be next year because of the WEG...

briddygirl
Apr. 18, 2009, 01:53 PM
I have a 4 year old pony, but he isn't ready to enter the show/auction ring....we are just getting him started. Right now he is your typical youngster and tries to get away with things until you tell him your the boss...not him. So for this reason I wouldn't consider putting him in this type of auction. I'm not really into the "who's who" of sires/breeding....and he may not be "fancy" enough for this auction in the first place, although i did have a trainer last year tell me that she'd work with him and if I decided to sell him she'd take him to the pony finals auction in ky.....so, I am assuming this is the same one.....can someone give me some pointers or advise? Thanks.

crownridgefarms
Apr. 20, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hey everyone,
I too am thinking about taking my pony to the sale. He is by Morton's Stables Rosedale Top Cat out of a show pony mare. He is fancy but still a little green. How would I go about entering? Hope someone can help thanks!

llsc
Apr. 20, 2009, 10:59 PM
I sold my small pony there last year and was very pleased with the auction. He was ridden by about 20 kids, so he got quite the workout, but he survived it quite well.

He was a green 5 year old who was ready to do the smalls and he went to a fantastic home and has been champion or reserve each time out in the greens so far this year!!! I'm going to Pony Finals to watch him go this year. Can't wait.

woweezowee
Jun. 8, 2009, 08:57 PM
Bump. I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this year's auction. We have a few fancy, green ponies that should do well at the sale, but I'm concerned about the economy's effect (fewer buyers? more competition? less $$ all around?). Thoughts?

Windswept Stable
Jun. 9, 2009, 12:56 AM
I have a client that is entering her pony, so we will be taking her pony for her. I am very excited. Have not been to pony finals for a few years now--so it will be a fun thing to go to.

What is the no sale fee as I have not had a chance to read up yet?

quicksilverponies
Jun. 9, 2009, 10:22 AM
Patti, the no sale fee is 5% of the last bid made which is a bid you make to essentially keep your own pony. I hope that makes sense. And for what it is worth to everyone else that is interested, I have heard that the Jennings feel that they will have a large number of entries and will be very selective in their choices which is understandable in this market.

woweezowee
Jun. 15, 2009, 07:14 PM
the deadline was today -- is anyone going?

LovesHorses
Jul. 11, 2009, 12:06 PM
Anyone know when the sale catalogue will be out?! I was told there are 115 ponies in the auction and that 200 applied.

Stono Ferry
Jul. 11, 2009, 02:13 PM
I emailed them last week to see when the catalog would be out and they said about 3 weeks before the sale.

dorthyinoz
Jul. 13, 2009, 01:53 PM
Agony!
I check my email and the website at least 2 times a day.
Excited to see the selection chosen. With the lack of the pony breeders sale at the end of the month, I am wondering if we will see more youngstock in this auction.

VirginiaBred
Jul. 13, 2009, 03:50 PM
Agony!
I check my email and the website at least 2 times a day.
Excited to see the selection chosen. With the lack of the pony breeders sale at the end of the month, I am wondering if we will see more youngstock in this auction.

Doubtful. It is not the auction for youngstock.

It's geared for the ready to go performance ponies.

findeight
Jul. 13, 2009, 04:02 PM
Agreed, this is very much a venue where the fact it can get a "test drive" by a potential buyer kid drives things.

Since they declined to accept 85 consignments, I'd think the less proven would be the ones left out.

Tamara in TN
Jul. 13, 2009, 04:12 PM

you just have to use your nerve and gut...

maybe wait and let your pony be "tried" a little later in the day and watch and look around and see whose mounting whatever will be still;)

you have every right to decline a rider's request...in plain English..."I don't believe he will suit you"....

best

findeight
Jul. 13, 2009, 04:25 PM
you have every right to decline a rider's request...in plain English..."I don't believe he will suit you"....

Brilliant. You could also say "sorry, Fluffy is too tired right now, maybe tomorrow".

Either is quite reasonable and you have every right to use them.

Mel0309
Jul. 13, 2009, 04:42 PM
Brilliant. You could also say "sorry, Fluffy is too tired right now, maybe tomorrow".

Either is quite reasonable and you have every right to use them.

Problem is there is no tomorrow. Ponies are tried for one day only. Hard to tell someone no that might be bidding on your pony. The ponies who sell the best are the ones who seem to tolerate the 40 little Susie's who want to ride.

hellerkm
Jul. 13, 2009, 04:56 PM
What is the date for the Auction and can anyone like me to a schedule for Pony finals, we will not be competing but plan to make the trip to watch, I have googled it 7 different ways and STILL can't come up with any info !!! thanks for the help!

hj0519
Jul. 13, 2009, 05:02 PM
What is the date for the Auction and can anyone like me to a schedule for Pony finals, we will not be competing but plan to make the trip to watch, I have googled it 7 different ways and STILL can't come up with any info !!! thanks for the help!

http://www.usef.org/Contentpage2.aspx?id=ponyfinals

BearWithMe
Jul. 13, 2009, 05:10 PM
A piece of advice that was given to me: it doesn't matter so much how far along your pony is (but should jump a Xrail) but whatever you claim it can do MUST be able to be done by a child. If you say it can w-t-c,then a child must be able to doit. If you say it has its changes, than a child should be able to get them. Makes sense to me.

yep. my trainers bring a few every year and the ponies that sell themselves are the quiet ones.

quicksilverponies
Jul. 13, 2009, 05:39 PM
Actually, Mel, there is a tomorrow and we have done that in the past. Ponies can be tried on Tues. afternoon after the exhibition as well as Wed. morning before the sale begins in the afternoon. Of course, you still have to leave time for your pony to get bathed and braided, but many ponies are still being tried on Wed. morning. And definitely the ones that can tote a kid around and perform quietly are the ones that generally sell the best.

horsegirl123
Jul. 13, 2009, 06:52 PM
I have both taken ponies to sell and bought ponies during this auction. I recommend having plenty of videos on hand for the persepctive buyer to see. This can answer a lot of questions upfront. You never want to scare off a perspective buyer by telling them no they can't ride but you do need to be careful for the safety of the pony and rider. Talk with their trainer and feel them out to see if they could make a good match. The worst thing for you and your pony is to put a rider onboard that could upset your pony. You never know who may be interested in watching.

As far as buying ponies I make my list talk with the owners and see which ones we want to try. I like to watch someone else new to the pony ride them first before we do. You can tell a lot this way and sometimes it narrows my list. I certainly don't want to waste my time or the pony's time if I can tell it is not what I'm looking for.

This acution is very well run and always has a nice selection. I will be going but in the market to purchase. Ofcourse I have said that before and ended up bringing one or two home. It's like going to a candy story. :yes:

Limerick
Jul. 13, 2009, 10:52 PM
llsc, that is great news about your old pony!!! Congrats!!

hellerkm
Jul. 13, 2009, 10:58 PM
llsc, I am heading to pony finals to watch the greens go over fences lets try to catch up that day!

Mel0309
Jul. 14, 2009, 11:05 AM
Actually, Mel, there is a tomorrow and we have done that in the past. Ponies can be tried on Tues. afternoon after the exhibition as well as Wed. morning before the sale begins in the afternoon. Of course, you still have to leave time for your pony to get bathed and braided, but many ponies are still being tried on Wed. morning. And definitely the ones that can tote a kid around and perform quietly are the ones that generally sell the best.

Was mistaken then. When we took a pony (I think back in 2000 0r 2001) you only had one day. I still think it would be hard to tell someone no, they can't try your pony, and expect them to bid on it.

wellengood
Jul. 21, 2009, 05:26 PM
I think Pony Finals is going to be held in Kentucky 2010, at least that's what the back of last year's program said. The PF auction is by far the best place to sell top quality ponies, green or finished. You've got the best riders and trainers in the country and I've always gotten a top ticket when I brought in a nice one.

Summerwood
Jul. 22, 2009, 12:07 PM
www.professionalauction.com

Happy window shopping:D!