PDA

View Full Version : Do you love watching other people ride your horse?

ExJumper
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:18 PM
I do! The greatest joy I had was watching my pro ride my horse in the pre greens. I probably had more fun doing that than riding him in the Adults myself!

I long for the day when I am a rich old lady who can buy fancy horses for other people to ride.

When the time comes I will wear a big hat like I'm at the Kentucky Derby and I will cheer like I'm at NASCAR :)

Anyone else?

webmistress32
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:20 PM
nope. never again will I allow anyone ride my horse.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:22 PM
I don't on my young horses b/c I'm an OCD control freak ;) and it's easy to shake a young horses confidence if the person messes up. I didn't even usually let my trainers ride them much. If something is going to happen I want to be the one on them to figure it out/fix it.

But I do LOVE the feeling of watching someone have a great ride on a horse I put all the miles on once they get past the greenie phase. It's nice to know I made that particular horse into a willing partner that others can enjoy as much as I do. I do screen the riders pretty carefully, though.

It's probably what I miss most about showing...I don't have the opportunity to buy young ones and bring them along as projects anymore.

Rhody Ram
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:24 PM
No. I let them be used in an intercollegiate show in my region and had to watch them get beat on and ruined.

One particular girl who jumped ahead at every fence (which you CANNOT do on Ted and is clearly stated in his description) finally made him stop at last fence.

She whined and complained and said "Oh I can't believe that happened!!!"

I looked at her and said "Ted doesn't stop. Ted went around at Devon in the Junior Hunters without stopping. Ted just doesn't like his job today," and walked away.

I do like watching Ted go with the skinny little girl who rides him GREAT. They win everything.

Parker_Rider
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:25 PM
I do!! On my mare who I've had since she was 4, it's an opportunity to be the "parent" and say "Dang, I made that!!" and I love it!! and on my jumper, it's amazing to watch him jump and kick up his hind end.
Plus, it's so educational with a good rider on them ("oh, so that's how it looks if I block her right shoulder from popping") since I'm such a visual learner.
I really like having other people get on the beasties if they're riders who I trust.

jenm
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:25 PM
I LOVE watching my trainer or her assistant ride my horse. It makes me realize what a really nice horse I have. Of course the downside is it makes me feel woefully inadequate as a rider! :)

rugbygirl
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:27 PM
I love it, my horse does great for some of my instructor's advanced students. They take him over WAAAAAY harder stuff than I do, and they all ride better to boot. I imagine he prefers them to me. I get so proud when he does well for them though, almost like they are real critics, and if they like him, he really is a good pony and I'm really not ruining him. :yes:

I just plain love my horse though, so I get a real kick out of seeing him move. It's tougher to do that when you're up!

Jaegermonster
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:29 PM
I very much enjoy watching my trainer ride my horse and put in a nice smooth ride.
other than that no one rides my horse but me. Period.

MILOUTE55
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:32 PM
nope. never again will I allow anyone ride my horse.

I'm pretty much like you. But then I had to leave my horse and family back in France to come and live my "American dream". My dad is now the only person I trust to ride my horse. Actually they're both having fun trail riding and my horse is being spoiled like never before... Nobody to bother him with dressage stuff anymore ;)
I hesitated half a second before flying my boy to Los Angeles where I live, but he would be miserable in this heat compared to the huge green fields he is used too.... So I miss him a lot but it helps to know that he is happier there!

findeight
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:37 PM
If I did not trust a trainer enough to ride my horse, they would not be my trainer..I really do not need anybody up there unless they know more and/or ride better then I do.

I had a TB I rescued shown up thru First years and really enjoyed watching the Pro ride him. God knows I never could:lol:. But it got him sold and me another I could ride-but I still enjoy watching a pro school and show that one for me in open classes or warm ups.

I like my horse. I like watching my horse do well. What's not to like?

billiebob
Apr. 14, 2009, 01:47 PM
I like watching people who are better riders than me ride my horse and I like to hear what they think of him. So far, all comments are promising! I wouldn't let someone I didn't trust ride him. He's my baby.

Mimi La Rue
Apr. 14, 2009, 02:03 PM
I don't let many people ride my horses but if it's someone trusted, like my trainer or one of her assistants, then yes. One of my trainers assistants asked if she could show my new horse later this month and I was like of course! I would love to see him show. Were not ready yet since I just got him a week ago but if she wants to show him then it's only good experience for him -- although he is supposedly an old pro at it..

Giddy-up
Apr. 14, 2009, 02:03 PM
I do. :D

I think it's fun watching my trainer ride him at shows. I do all the prep work (schooling, cleaning, groom, etc...) & then stand back to watch Mr Trainer do his thing.

Tiffani B
Apr. 14, 2009, 02:14 PM
I LOVE watching my trainer or her assistant ride my horse. It makes me realize what a really nice horse I have. Of course the downside is it makes me feel woefully inadequate as a rider! :)

Totally agree! I train my own horse but once in awhile the trainer at the barn will hop on board and I think to myself "WOW! I trained that?"! but at the same time I know deep inside he doesn't look as good with me on.

Oh well. :)

chawley
Apr. 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
I do! Although, the only people allowed on him are my trainer and two people at the barn who are both very good riders.

I've raised him from a baby and shown him for years (he's 16 now), so on the rare occasion my trainer gets on him, I thoroughly enjoy watching him.... (He's my baby....:)

Samantha37
Apr. 14, 2009, 02:18 PM
I love watching my trainer ride my horse :) She gets on him to tune him up frequently, and it makes me realize how nice my horse is. He, of course, is probably thinking "Finally! Someone who knows what they are doing!!"
I have a couple of friends who are better riders than I am and they will get on him from time to time, but nobody else.

fordtraktor
Apr. 14, 2009, 02:51 PM
I taught lessons on my former ponies for many years. I was way, way more nervous watching the kids ride them, but way, way more proud when they did well. It wasn't just that I'd made the pony, I'd made the kid too. Nothing better.

I also liked it when other people saw them go, even when it didn't go well. For a long time people would call one of my ponies "the Couch" as if all I had to do was sit there. After other people started showing her, they soon realized that it took a lot of skill and finesse to keep the so-called Couch from being a complete lunatic. Unfortunately making this point required numerous meltdowns with various kids on the Couch's part. :lol:

showmom858
Apr. 14, 2009, 03:06 PM
My D and I both love watching our trainer ride my Ds new horse. Trainer is a wonderful rider and we actually like to watch her on all the horses in the barn as they look different when she rides them.

As for our horse, D is showing him at 3' this year and trainer will be showing him at 3'6" so that he will be ready at that height when D is ready to step up (hopefully next season).

thizzelledance
Apr. 14, 2009, 03:07 PM
i love watching my trainer take my mare around the higher levels. it's good to know i'm not completely wasting her talent :lol: but in all reality i get more nervous watching them go than i do riding myself

superpony123
Apr. 14, 2009, 03:08 PM
Heck no. My pony gives lessons 2 or so times a week. It makes me cringe sometimes. I have to turn away and go back to sweeping.

eqrider1234
Apr. 14, 2009, 03:16 PM
I do as long as it is someone I trust. Like one of my trainers or one of the assistants and thats it. No way no how would i ever let her be used for lessons, although I do love ponyriding little kids like my niece around, I think it helps to desensatize her.. i dont suppose that she had ever had a toddler on her in germany :lol:

*JumpIt*
Apr. 14, 2009, 03:34 PM
I do when it is one of my trainers or another good rider. My mare is a bit complicated to ride but once you figure her out it's not too difficult.

She still has a long way to go but it always amazes me how well she is doing now compared to when we started.

RugBug
Apr. 14, 2009, 03:39 PM
I like watching my trainer ride him to his best. He's a MUCH nicer horse for her than he is for me.

I like watching him be a good boy for other people. I've only let a few people on him directly, without me warming him up to get the bugs (spooks) out, but I like letting others ride him after I've deemed him 'safe'. I KNOW how good it is for him (makes him more tolerant) so I try to do it often.

Secret confession: I also like watching other people on him because I can see that I don't ride him so horribly. I ride him better than anyone besides my trainer. That makes me a little more confident in my abilities. (It might also make me a horrible person :winkgrin:)

fleur de duc
Apr. 14, 2009, 04:04 PM
im gona go ahead and say no here. I honestly find so much more satisfaction doing it on my own than having a trainer ride for me. My guy can be quite the handful, and is VERY picky about riders, so honestly I do not get many offers from my friends to ride him. Everyone appreciates him much more from the sidelines:D I hope one day he will be a horse I can let others go off on and enjoy, but for now, his sensitive little brain cant handle it.

On the other hand, when I was breaking my pony I did it all on my own. He has never had a pro on him at all actually, and I must say that I love the fact that, (before he went and decided he no longer needed a few tendons in his leg:no:) I could let pretty much any little kid loose on him with no worry in the world. In that case I enjoyed seeing other riders on my pony, b/c it just showed all my hard work I put into him.

SmartAlex
Apr. 14, 2009, 04:28 PM
I've had my horse since he was a 2 yr old green bean. My Mom got on him this past winter and he gave her a nice little pony ride. I was so proud of him for A. not being shocked that other humans could ride a horse and B. being honest and forgiving.

I believe that a horse is more responsive with just one consistent rider. But I think it would be interesting to see someone else really ride him and give me some feedback.

dab
Apr. 14, 2009, 04:32 PM
I like watching my horses -- Watching them free jump can make my day -- Love to watch the passage-y trot they do when they're turned out and get a little excited --

I like watching good riders on my horse especially if we can discuss what they're doing during the ride --

I've enjoyed watching my trainers show my horses, but I enjoy showing them myself even more --

CenterStage123
Apr. 14, 2009, 04:57 PM
When the rider's good.. yes I love it.

My trainer had never ridden my horse before, acctually I had been the only person to ride him.. ever. During a lesson, I was having troubl fixing something, so she decided to hop on him to see if she could find the souorce of the problem. She jumped him around a 3 ft. course, and I was beaming the whole time. It made me realize how lucky I was to hae such a nice horse! When she got off she said, "WOW! I never realized how much of a Son of A B**** he was! You ride him really well!" Probably one of the best compliments I have ever gotten. She has never ridden him since. That was the only pro ride hes ever gotten.

Nowadays, due to the hard economic times, I let the beginner rider trainer at my barn use him in lessons to keep my board bill down. I can't watch the kids ride him. I cringe. Every. Single. Time.

imapepper
Apr. 14, 2009, 07:06 PM
I can't stand to watch someone ride my mare. I cring everytime I see them ride her in a way that I don't approve of...which is most of the time. I have one friend that I can let get on her and it doesn't bother me but that is it. But I prefer love watching people ride my old horse. He is 24 and toddles around with a teenage kid right now. He is the best teacher. He is very patient with her mistakes but lets her know when she is riding incorrectly :lol: Usually by getting strong and opinionated :lol:

I thought this was so cute of them :)

http://www.pbase.com/jmasin/image/111192529

melody1
Apr. 14, 2009, 07:09 PM
I most certainly do :) I have done 100% of her training myself, and to see other riders get on her and have her looking great just tickles me. We must've done something right ;)

snaffle635
Apr. 14, 2009, 08:07 PM
I love it!

Sometimes I forget how cute/fancy he is until I see someone else on him. Then I can't take my eyes off him. And I feel so lucky that he's mine. :-)

lauraware
Apr. 14, 2009, 09:27 PM
Sort of. Unless they ride my horses better than I do...then I get jealous!

But, in all seriousness, I do enjoy watching a professional ride my horse. Especially if the trainer mentions how much better my horse feels than the last time he rode him, or if the trainer looks like they're having a good time giving my horse a school, or if they make my horse look really great! I also like watching less experienced people ride my more-trained eq horse, because he's just so perfect. He's just so patient and tolerant of mistakes, and it makes me proud to have been his primary rider since we got him as a just-turned-5 year old :D

Buggliest
Apr. 14, 2009, 09:32 PM
I love watching someone who either a) knows what they're doing ride my pony or b) someone who's willing to listen and learn - He's a push-button horse, but some people are too lazy to try to find the buttons

anchorsaway
Apr. 14, 2009, 09:38 PM
Yes and No.

No- I let him be used for team practices for IHSA and will never put him through that again:no: I've had to do quite a bit of retraining/reminding on him(after I brought him back from a year break and having a less than competant rider/owner). They let him plug around on the forehand, poke his nose out, cock his shoulder to the outside, and generally pretend that he was giraffe[which of course was when the head coach was giving lesson, she seems to have it out for me]. I swear somebody whacked him in the head while bridling or yanked the bit/let it hit his teeth while removing it because he's quite..grumpy about the whole procedure now.

Yes-I enjoy watching trainer ride him. It's a joy to see him move and helps me with my job!

rdc
Apr. 14, 2009, 10:08 PM
To everyone who does allow your horse to be used in lessons - THANK YOU.

I'm a late-30s rerider at a very nice HJ barn in Northern California. I've been riding three delightful, gorgeous horses. I'm jumping 2'6" again and on Sunday I nailed a couple of flying changes with no stirrups. It is an absolute joy, and I am so grateful to the owners who make it possible.

GryffinLuvr4Evr
Apr. 14, 2009, 10:12 PM
NO! I dislike watching people ride my horse... especially when they ride him better than me or they ride him differently and make him ride different after I get on him. I also dislike when people ask me if they can ride my horse when I'm not there... worked to hard to get him where he is, no way may they ride my horse (even if they are the best rider in the barn). Although I do enjoy watching my (pro) trainer ride him... except it can be almost a little embarrassing because she can ride him better than me. But I remind myself she is a PRO and an ADULT and I am just a junior amateur whatever I am KID... but I love watching her do the schooling at shows for me considering hes a big baby chicken.

iridehorses
Apr. 14, 2009, 10:20 PM
I don't on my young horses b/c I'm an OCD control freak ;) and it's easy to shake a young horses confidence if the person messes up. I didn't even usually let my trainers ride them much. If something is going to happen I want to be the one on them to figure it out/fix it.

But I do LOVE the feeling of watching someone have a great ride on a horse I put all the miles on once they get past the greenie phase. It's nice to know I made that particular horse into a willing partner that others can enjoy as much as I do. I do screen the riders pretty carefully, though.

It's probably what I miss most about showing...I don't have the opportunity to buy young ones and bring them along as projects anymore.

agreed!!!
its great watching my old pony, who i remember i couldnt even make it around a level 1 class in ocala 07, now pack a kid around the level 3s!!!

Ibex
Apr. 14, 2009, 10:49 PM
I love watching my trainer ride my youngster... it helps me to know that my horse CAN do this, and I know she's been taught to do it correctly.

Down the line there's a barn kid I'd likely let ride her... she's incredibly good to every horse she sits on, and has some of the naturally kindest hands I've ever seen.

gg4918
Apr. 14, 2009, 10:54 PM
Jimmy Torano rode my jumper in Vermont and it was so much fun to see my awkward boy go around with a famous Grand Prix rider. He was so confused!!
They did well, had a rail but then went on to be Reserve in his division.
I've seen a bunch of other professionals get on my jumper and not be able to ride him, he'll stop or just do silly things. We just connected from the moment I got on him, so both fortunately and unfortunately I have to be the one to provide all the training rides on him. I hope I get into the top 4 at USET! God help the poor souls that have to steer that truck around the course!!
As my trainer puts it, "He's like riding a park bench." (not in a nice way!). But if you connect with him then he'll try his heart out.

Punkie
Apr. 14, 2009, 11:12 PM
I LOVE seeing others on my horses, but I am very, very picky about who I will let on them. Lucky for me, I'm in a barn full of excellent junior riders, so I have no shortage of help when I need it! But my favorite thing by far is seeing my trainer do them. I am a decent rider and I have a great time on my horses, but I mostly own greenies and it's very, very satisfying to SEE that they are going as well as they FEEL. They get 1-2 training rides a week anyways, so when I can find the time to watch them go, it's something I really enjoy. As someone else said, if I didn't trust my trainer to ride my horses, she wouldn't be my trainer. And where a few of my horses are investments, it's really good to get other people on them and have them get used to different rides :)

pwynnnorman
Apr. 15, 2009, 07:49 AM
I'm another yes and no.

My older horse, who knows his job down cold and enjoys showing off, is heaven to watch. In many ways, he's what motivates me and makes me set a high, high standard for the others. Watching someone discover Colin's traits is better than watching any of the others "just" win ribbons here or there. I also love to watch Cat do what she loves--jumping. Seeing any horse do what it enjoys is always pleasurable, but when it's your own, it's an indescribable joy.

But it's torture to watch someone else ride poorly a youngster who is getting to know it's job. The babies can be so proud of themselves and so quickly get discouraged or surly or bewildered. And, too, to KNOW they can do it and they don't -- even with excellent riders -- is jsut sooooo disappointing!

To me, this subject represents the highs and lows of ownership (and the reason why, even with the lows, its so much more exciting than any other sport I can think of).

mortebella
Apr. 15, 2009, 08:11 AM
I'm about to find out. I'm moving my horse to work with a trainer in May - it'll be the first time I've seen someone else on him. I expect it'll be a good, growing experience for us both. But I still feel a little nervous about it. It's like your kid's first day of school, isn't it?

LookinSouth
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:13 AM
I love watching better riders than myself ride my horse. I am pretty generous with letting people ride him as long I have reason to believe the person is going to give him a halfways decent ride. Of course this philosophy has bit me in the butt a few times with some terrifying rides to watch but I can count on my horse to teach the rider every.single.time.:winkgrin: He also never ceases to prove my point that he isn't quite as simple to ride as he appears :D
Fortunately he is never worse for the wear. He is older, set in his ways and knows his job well .

I am much pickier about who jumps him.

It's nice to see when my horse helps another rider learn something. He's even taught a few riders the feel of LL dressage movements. He helped remind my timid friend what it feels like for a horse to bend properly from inside leg to outside hand so that she could do the same on her own horse. It was really great to see her confidence bloom after riding my guy and then hop on her horse and be able to have the results she wanted. He has taught me so many skills in riding and I dont' mind sharing that with other people who haven't had that opportunity.

magnolia73
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:55 AM
I let a lot of people ride my horse. I enjoy watching good riders ride her and I also enjoy letting a beginner walk her. I got a kick out of her caring for my brother and boyfriend.

I spent a lot of time riding other peoples horses. People have been so generous to me with their horses. I feel like I am paying it back when a horseless person gets a nice in on my horse. I also feel like it is good for Niki. Getting used to beginners or people who ride differently is good for her. A bit of walk/trot on a long rein doesn't upset her even with a rider like my brother. And, should I need to sell her, I have an idea of how she may react.

That said, when it comes to jumping, I am particular. LOL, i will barely let myself jump her! I want her to have only good experiences.

Giddy-up
Apr. 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
I have to say I am getting a slight chuckle at how many do not like others riding their horse cause they either ride the horse better or make it look better than they (the owner) can.

RugBug
Apr. 15, 2009, 11:21 AM
I also feel like it is good for Niki. Getting used to beginners or people who ride differently is good for her. <snip> And, should I need to sell her, I have an idea of how she may react.

I absolutely agree. How else does a horse learn to take all kinds of 'jokes' without different riders telling them their particular 'jokes?' We all have our specific holes in our riding and our horses may get used to those holes, but what about other types of holes? IMO, a horse isn't truly broke until a wide variety of people can ride it.

Sure, there are some horses that are so sensitive that putting a lot of riders on them is not a great idea. And it's not always a great thing to put the youngsters through a lot of different riders, except with portions of training they have down (for example: put someone on to w/t or w/t/c but leave the jumping for the trainer/owner until they understand their job...even then, start them over crossrails, etc...be smart about it...but don't avoid it all together.) BUT, if you're smart about who you put onthe horse, it's actually VERY beneficial.

LD1129
Apr. 15, 2009, 11:34 AM
I love watching my trainer ride my horse! He is coming five at the end of this month and she rides him 1-2 times a week (I wish I could afford more but I digress). With work I dont always get to see but it is so satisfying to see what he has learned and how he looks! I was shocked a few weeks ago when they were doing walking pirouette and other lateral movements (he is a dressage horse) :)

A few boarders at the barn have also hopped on him while I was there. Some think he looks comfortable, he has a huge trot so its kinda funny when they try it out and find out differently. Also since I am a newbie to dressage (about 2 years training so far out of over 10 years in hunter land) I like to see how he handles other riders and if its my making him do something or everyone ect.

Giddy-up
Apr. 15, 2009, 11:43 AM
BUT, if you're smart about who you put on the horse, it's actually VERY beneficial.

Yup. I put my mom on my then 4 YO & we went on a trail ride (I rode the 14 YO :winkgrin:). She shrieked the whole time & even gave me a headache. The horse had a WTF look on his face at times, but did nothing. I knew he was ammy proof for sure then. :yes:

LD1129
Apr. 15, 2009, 12:15 PM
I rode the Tommy :) However it was for about 2 minutes ;)

im gona go ahead and say no here. I honestly find so much more satisfaction doing it on my own than having a trainer ride for me. My guy can be quite the handful, and is VERY picky about riders, so honestly I do not get many offers from my friends to ride him. Everyone appreciates him much more from the sidelines:D I hope one day he will be a horse I can let others go off on and enjoy, but for now, his sensitive little brain cant handle it.

On the other hand, when I was breaking my pony I did it all on my own. He has never had a pro on him at all actually, and I must say that I love the fact that, (before he went and decided he no longer needed a few tendons in his leg:no:) I could let pretty much any little kid loose on him with no worry in the world. In that case I enjoyed seeing other riders on my pony, b/c it just showed all my hard work I put into him.

Penthilisea
Apr. 15, 2009, 12:49 PM
I love watching Mr. Harvey Horse get ridden well. Between one thing and 6 million others, I kind of suck. My brain knows, my seat knows, my hands know but my legs FLOP and NAG!

So when my dear friend comes weekly to hack him, I ride the aged very nice horse and watch in AWE. It's great to see him take deep breathes and big strides and enjoy showing off everything he still knows and can do! My friend was really surprised to feel everything he still knows, and it is a joy, the high light of my week to see him go well.
(PS Mr Harvey Horse is coming back from a fractured ilium and 8 months or so of pasture rest.)

I did have him used in lessons for a long time, and that was 80% good (keeping him fit and in good condition with good riders) and 20% bad (yanking his mouth and kicking and when he ducked his head the trainer said "Good! He's on the bit!" EEK! We were out of there ASAP)

I also enjoy having my other dear friend hack the aged very nice QH because he is SO safe and she appreciates that. Both my guys have paid their dues and no longer need to work for a living, so when they get ridden I try and make it fun for all.

meupatdoes
Apr. 15, 2009, 03:23 PM
I never owned a horse until I was in college paying for my own, so I remember what it felt like to be horseless and have in the past offered up my made horses (not the greenies) to go in lessons.

However, I got a little tired of never being thanked by the riders (and really, is "Thank you for letting me take your horse to this show" too much to ask?), or having riders only want to ride my fanciest horse but not put some hacks or trail rides on the less fancy one, thx but no thx, even though he is adorable and a ton of fun too.

So, it got old.

If someone deserving and appreciative comes along, sure, but currently?...:no:

So I am the only one riding my horses.
I would rather take lessons than pay for pro rides so it ends up always being my heinie in the tack.

meupatdoes
Apr. 15, 2009, 03:29 PM
To everyone who does allow your horse to be used in lessons - THANK YOU.

I'm a late-30s rerider at a very nice HJ barn in Northern California. I've been riding three delightful, gorgeous horses. I'm jumping 2'6" again and on Sunday I nailed a couple of flying changes with no stirrups. It is an absolute joy, and I am so grateful to the owners who make it possible.

Tell them.

If you don't know who they are, find out, and then tell them.

Nikki^
Apr. 15, 2009, 03:36 PM
One of the best ways to let you know you are training correctly is to get someone to ride your horse for you. I do this with my horse and I always get:

1. She's so supple
2. She's so easy
3. You can ride her off your mind (Funny saying but when flatting, you think it and she does it).

Also I love to see how she moves and what she looks like in all three gaits. My Coach tells me her jump is round and gorgeous but I never see it since i am the one riding and i always look ahead or at the next jump.:)
I've only have pictures of her jumping jumps with me so I'll have to get a video of the both of us next lesson to see it with my own eyes.

Van Gogh
Apr. 15, 2009, 05:33 PM
I am a pro and I truly love riding and showing my current horse but NOTHING gives me more pleasure than watching my old ponies and horses going around with someone else. I lease my old medium who is 19 now and I watch him go around in the short stirrup- SO rewarding! I watch my old large pony who I broke win a ribbon at pony finals with someone else and go on to be a first large pony for several others. I watch my Jr hunter go around with others. I watch my baby be a good boy with people showing him and at home. You can't keep them all- especially the ponies.

I hope to turn all my horses into happy, healthy, good citizens for others! I want to share them with others who will appreciate and enjoy them!

starkissed
Apr. 15, 2009, 07:00 PM
I like to watch if I know the person aboard is better than me! Like my instructor or someone. Rarely do I get to see it though. Its kind of fun because my horses are pretty well trained up and listen to aids, but I can never get the messages and organization together to make it look pretty. But when a pro is on them they are doing their lead changes and meeting fences perfectly! I am sure they enjoy it to.

Once thing I HATE though is when I am riding someone else's horse and they are being control freaks about what I should be doing and telling me what their horse "likes". I wouldn't mind this if the person was better than me, but most of the time its on my friends horses..who are not bad riders, but I feel like they shouldn't be critiquing me. Because of this, whenever I let my friends ride my guys, I dont tell them what to do

twobays
Apr. 15, 2009, 07:46 PM
I have to say I am getting a slight chuckle at how many do not like others riding their horse cause they either ride the horse better or make it look better than they (the owner) can.

This is specifically why I ENJOY having other people ride my horses. Its fun watching your horse go around a 4' course like a star while you just try and hang on for the ride at 3'6". :lol:

Janet
Apr. 15, 2009, 09:07 PM
Depends what you mean by "my horse".

If it is a horse I have leased out, then yes, I enjoy watching the lessor ride him.

But if it is a horse I normally ride myself, then no, I get no pleasure out of watching someone else ride her. It doesn't bother me, except that I am frustrated not to be riding myself.

Atypical
Apr. 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
Some horses yes, my horse no. I tend to cringe and cross my fingers that he doesn't plant them.....

ToolTime
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:27 AM
I LOVE it. Let me qualify this. I love to see better riders than me ride her. This is not much of a stretch as I pretty much suck! :lol: I only seen one other person ride her - my trainer friend who's been helping me with her from the start.

I am literally enchanted by it. I love watching her movement, her face , her ears, her evasions :lol:, everything - even when she get in trouble for being 'bad'.

I can watch videos of her over and over. LOL - G*d, it's so sad - it's like being in love. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Trixie
Apr. 16, 2009, 10:47 AM
I love watching people that are better than me ride my horse. Trainer has been on him all of twice, which was quite enjoyable (he needed that school!) and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE watching him being ridden by someone more skilled than I because it reinforces how awesome he is.

I also love watching him pack a beginner around. He gets a very studious look on his face as he Very.Carefully tries to keep them in the middle of his back and not drop them.

diva4ever
Apr. 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
Depends on who it is...if it's one of my trainers then yes because they help me figure out problems (and it proves that I'm right most of the time and I do know what I'm talking about :D).

Unfortunately my horse does have to do some lessons (I have him partly in school to save on board costs) and I hate watching those (although I do). There's one or two that are ok, basically because they usually do flat work and then they praise me for how great of a horse he is. But if it's someone jumping and one that I know wants to jump higher than I do (he rarely jumps 2'6) and then brags about it and rides with loose rein and doesn't keep him straight my teeth cringe the entire time because I'm thinking...now what do I have to retrain.

So in short, depends on who and my mood for the day.

caffeinated
Apr. 16, 2009, 12:15 PM

That's exactly WHY I love having other people on mine :)

And am looking forward to having someone else take him in a few shows this summer to build his confidence and make sure it's a better experience than I might give him :)

I take lessons with a dressage trainer every so often, and seeing her riding him was amazing. I love my horse, but I tend to not realize exactly how nice he is until I remove myself from the equation. He's pretty special :)

For the Horse
Apr. 16, 2009, 02:46 PM
I love it!! I have a 22 year old TB mare who use to be wild but with time and patience she and I got it together and she took me around the local hunter and eq courses. The most rewarding part is not just everything that she taught me but the fact that she is my Mom's horse now. Thats right, my Mom started riding after I did and had to learn everything as an adult (which is harder than as a kid). I got to watch my wonderful mare not just tollerate my Mom while she was learning but actually HELP her (she would come to a halt when Mom lost her balance).

I am now training a lovely greenie mare and enjoy seeing what she does with the juniors at the barn but I am also taking her to be ridden by a pro with better timing than I have. I enjoy seeing the way the horse goes with different riders, it allows me to gauge what kind of things we need to work on in her training!

indygirl2560
Apr. 16, 2009, 04:20 PM
My friend is like that with her horse. She'll have someone else ride him in a class just to watch him go around the course! When I still had my pony, I let my friends ride her sometimes just for fun, but I always preferred riding since I could "deal" with her and she wouldn't try to throw tantrums with me.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 16, 2009, 05:10 PM
I do enjoy watching ohters ride her. I can't get to see her jump any other way :)

When we bought Mare, part of the appeal was that I could ride her for a couple of years, then DD could do short stirrup on her (this was before we got the Wonder Pony). She definitely adjusts to the ability of the rider - with little ones she's a packer (not so much once you start go to up with her!). Our trainer also uses her some for beginner lessons because she's so good for them. I absolutely love watching them ride her & she seems to love them right back.

theroanypony
Apr. 16, 2009, 11:10 PM
I would love to see other people ride my pony! The only other person that I've seen ride him was a little girl that was maybe 4 or 5 years old. He's a school pony, but only used once every few months because I half lease him and ride him frequently through out the week. The girl that I've seen ride him did walk-trot stuff, and even trotted him through ground poles. It was adorable, and I loved seeing him behave himself so well through the poles. He never trots through them for me, he'd rather jump from one end of them to the other. I would love to see a more experienced rider get on him and make him go better than I do, however none of the really great riders at my barn are small enough to get on him. My trainer's told me though that I get him to go nicer than any of his past riders, so that makes feel better. =P