PDA

View Full Version : Will an Aramas bridle darken? Or buy a new one?

IrishWillow
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:04 PM
I just bought a new dark havana saddle, and I have a gorgeous Aramas bridle that I love (and it fits my two very large headed horses). Should I attempt to darken my Aramas or search for a new bridle?

I have Hydrophane darkening oil. Should I do anything else to darken it??

KristieBee
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:20 PM
I just bought a new dark havana saddle, and I have a gorgeous Aramas bridle that I love (and it fits my two very large headed horses). Should I attempt to darken my Aramas or search for a new bridle?

I have Hydrophane darkening oil. Should I do anything else to darken it??

i have the opposite problem! caramel saddle and brand new edgewood bridle that will ultimately darken too much to match it. haha maybe we should trade! or at minimum, i might be willing to buy it from you if you do decide to sell it. i've really struggled to find a bridle to match my caramel antares saddle.

IrishWillow
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:24 PM
Haha, really! What size is yours, LOL.

I havent even ridden in this silly thing, and it has those lovely braided reins to match. But it is totally the wrong color. Haha!

KristieBee
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:26 PM
Haha, really! What size is yours, LOL.

I havent even ridden in this silly thing, and it has those lovely braided reins to match. But it is totally the wrong color. Haha!

oversized :) no fancy stitching though, my horse has a lot of chrome. is your bridle fancy stitched?

otherwise i'd say do the hydrophane thing but trust me it has NOT darkened my saddle enough to ever match anything havana.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:27 PM
A couple of girls I ride with have Aramas bridles, and they will darken well. I believe that at least one had hers dipped at the store, but I would imagine that Hydrophane darkening oil would work.

eqrider1234
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:29 PM
oversized :) no fancy stitching though, my horse has a lot of chrome. is your bridle fancy stitched?

otherwise i'd say do the hydrophane thing but trust me it has NOT darkened my saddle enough to ever match anything havana.

oiling with neatsfoot should darken you antares saddle, is it all calfskin? even the light brown color darkens to a nice dark brown. And oiling with neatsfoot oil will for sure darken you aramas as that is what i have and i love my bridle. It is now the same color as an oiled edgewood.

IrishWillow
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:30 PM
Oversize.. yay!

LOL

I'll get pics of mine for you, if you get me pics of your Edgewood. LOL

Yes, mine is fancy stitched, but its subtle and pretty.. not too blingy :)

IrishWillow
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:31 PM
A couple of girls I ride with have Aramas bridles, and they will darken well. I believe that at least one had hers dipped at the store, but I would imagine that Hydrophane darkening oil would work.

When you have a bridle "dipped".. what do they dip it IN, exactly? Any ideas?

IrishWillow
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:31 PM
oiling with neatsfoot should darken you antares saddle, is it all calfskin? even the light brown color darkens to a nice dark brown. And oiling with neatsfoot oil will for sure darken you aramas as that is what i have and i love my bridle. It is now the same color as an oiled edgewood.

Neatsfoot oil.. check. Even better than the hydrophane?

eqrider1234
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:32 PM
When you have a bridle "dipped".. what do they dip it IN, exactly? Any ideas?

at the tackstore i use he dips all of his tack in a big ole bucket of neatsfoot oil. It goes from orange (yuck) to a lovely dark brown(yay!).. i have a couple pictures of mine i can post.

KristieBee
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:45 PM

it's the buffalo calf in caramel but they have two varieties (i went through a lot of remakes of my saddle but evelyne, the owner, was just lovely to deal with) - mine is the very very lightest. which i thought i wanted at the time but have come to regret as it's impossible to match. when i got it it was almost the color of butter. i've used pure neatsfoot and hydrophane darkening, and it's a rich, pretty chestnut brown which is lovely - except its really hard to get a bridle to match it.

was:
http://img.skitch.com/20090413-mmuqnmgdf34rsrgy82t2tgqm44.jpg

is: (after oiling with pure neatsfoot, and hydrophane over the year and change i've ridden in it)

http://img.skitch.com/20090413-nmjdjfqb37g3agjyrndq3s4mxt.jpg

http://img.skitch.com/20090413-dddpp8i5ms9dfam96gqchn792k.jpg

KristieBee
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:47 PM
Oversize.. yay!

LOL

I'll get pics of mine for you, if you get me pics of your Edgewood. LOL

Yes, mine is fancy stitched, but its subtle and pretty.. not too blingy :)

we should definitely stay in touch on this matter. ;) i'll message you my email addy.

lauriep
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:50 PM
Bridle and saddle DO NOT HAVE TO MATCH! I don't know where this insanity started,but you all are obsessing over something that is a complete non-issue! Be sure your bridle is a rich dark color. Your saddle should be whatever color it is when you consider it broken in and supple FOR YOU. Beyond that, move on!

KristieBee
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:56 PM
Bridle and saddle DO NOT HAVE TO MATCH! I don't know where this insanity started,but you all are obsessing over something that is a complete non-issue! Be sure your bridle is a rich dark color. Your saddle should be whatever color it is when you consider it broken in and supple FOR YOU. Beyond that, move on!

i'm well aware that i'm crazy. and that it's not necessary. but it bothers me. i can't help it. *shrugs sheepishly*

heartinrye
Apr. 13, 2009, 09:14 PM
Sorry I didn't read everything that was written, but I just bought an Aramas bridle this past weekend, I put 1 part hydrophane darkening oil and 1 part neatsfoot (I know, I know...) into a bucket, dipped the bridle and voila! Gorgeous dark havana-esqe bridle! It's lovely!

mvp
Apr. 13, 2009, 09:14 PM
Yes the saddle and bridle Do Have To Match.

There is a special circle of Hell dedicated to those who don't match tack.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

PROTACKGUY
Apr. 13, 2009, 10:51 PM
Aramas bridles will darken with Hydrophane.
Although many people swear by neatsfoot oil, I have seen many cases where it affects the stitching. This may not be a problem where they use synthetc thread but it has been a problem on cotton threads. Hydrophane is pretty much the standards and will not hurt anything.

IrishWillow
Apr. 14, 2009, 10:25 AM
Sorry I didn't read everything that was written, but I just bought an Aramas bridle this past weekend, I put 1 part hydrophane darkening oil and 1 part neatsfoot (I know, I know...) into a bucket, dipped the bridle and voila! Gorgeous dark havana-esqe bridle! It's lovely!

I will definitely be trying this!! :)

Kat

IrishWillow
Apr. 14, 2009, 10:33 AM
Yes the saddle and bridle Do Have To Match.

There is a special circle of Hell dedicated to those who don't match tack.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Agreed! I dont think it has to be cookie cutter "Omg, thats not the EXACT same shade of havana as the saddle - throw it away!" but it shouldnt be dark havana saddle, chestnut / oak bark bridle like I have now! Haha

headsup
Apr. 14, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm a big fan of the aramis bridles, we have several in the barn. I always try to get them dipped before they are sent or before we get them from the tack shop. For the ones that don't come that way...mix hydrophane and neatsfoot oil.