PDA

View Full Version : STIRRUP SECURITY!

EBONY LYNN
Apr. 13, 2009, 10:46 AM
what is the best kind of stirrup/stirrup pad that will provide security and comfort? My feet still have a tendency to slip out and i would like some support since I broke my ankle a couple of years back and it tends to get sore when i press it down. Suggestions needed! thanks!

katie16
Apr. 13, 2009, 10:53 AM
Personally, I like the "sandpaper" pads. You mention that you have ankle issues due to an injury. I am not sure that any stirrup, regardless of the pad, will be too secure without weight down in your heels though. I am not sure that these pads would be any more helpful to you than a "regular" pad if you cannot bend your ankle and drop weight into your heel.

JumpWithPanache
Apr. 13, 2009, 10:53 AM
I really like the Super Comfort Pads. I was skeptical about the whole sip tie thing, but they really don't look that bad. They are grippy and add a little cushioning. I make sure to scrape the dirt off my boots on the side of the mounting block before getting on. I will also use the brush side of the hoof pick to knock out any extra dirt every couple days. Got these to deal with ankle pain from torn tendons in order to not press as hard to feel secure. Works for me!

HARROLDhasmyheart
Apr. 13, 2009, 11:35 AM
I am personally a fan of the cheesegrater stirrup pads, although I know that many are not. I have also had sandpaper pads in the past which help give a little more grip. Have you tried flex-stirrups, such as the Sprengers? They may help relieve some of the pressure on your ankle, as well.

caradino
Apr. 13, 2009, 11:54 AM
Personally, I like the "sandpaper" pads. You mention that you have ankle issues due to an injury. I am not sure that any stirrup, regardless of the pad, will be too secure without weight down in your heels though. I am not sure that these pads would be any more helpful to you than a "regular" pad if you cannot bend your ankle and drop weight into your heel.

love the sandpaper pads. they provide just enough grip to keep me from sliding around without feeling like my feet are trapped in the stirrups.

Seven-up
Apr. 13, 2009, 04:38 PM
I had the sandpaper pads back when that was the best thing out there, and they really didn't help much. Now I have the cheesegrater pads, and I'm much happier with them.

SoCo
Apr. 13, 2009, 04:42 PM
I really like the Super Comfort Pads. I was skeptical about the whole sip tie thing, but they really don't look that bad. They are grippy and add a little cushioning.

i 2nd that ...

i liked the cheese graters but boy can they tear up your stirrup leathers

Seven-up
Apr. 13, 2009, 04:47 PM
i 2nd that ...

i liked the cheese graters but boy can they tear up your stirrup leathers

That is true...and your saddle flaps. I take the stirrups completely off the saddle when I lunge.

Meliora
Apr. 13, 2009, 04:47 PM
I broke & dislocated my ankle 1 1/2 years ago, and riding was painful for me as well. I love the Bow Balance from Springer stirrups. They have a wider foot pad for more support, and they are jointed (that helps take the pressure off your ankle). They are a little expensive, but so worth it. Good Luck:)

giddybiddy
Apr. 13, 2009, 05:14 PM
I really like the Super Comfort Pads. I was skeptical about the whole sip tie thing, but they really don't look that bad. They are grippy and add a little cushioning. I make sure to scrape the dirt off my boots on the side of the mounting block before getting on. I will also use the brush side of the hoof pick to knock out any extra dirt every couple days. Got these to deal with ankle pain from torn tendons in order to not press as hard to feel secure. Works for me!

I think I've said this before...but when I tried those, I couldn't keep my foot in the stirrup for the LIFE of me! When I'd put my heels down, my feet would slip right out. I tried them with both my paddock boots and my tall boots, and had the same result. I was really surprised after having heard so many great things about them, and feeling how grippy they really were. Ended up going back to my cheesegraters. They don't tear up my saddle or leathers at all. But has anyone else had this problem?

TBlitz
Apr. 13, 2009, 07:34 PM
I really want to get some of the Pro Jump ones, but they're a bit pricey at $40.

medical mike
Apr. 13, 2009, 08:57 PM
As it wasn't mentioned, I'll ask..........

You said, your feet continue to slip out. To me that is something more than just stirrups.
It sounds like that has always been a problem; how have you addressed it from a technique/strength position?

Also to what degree was the ankle fractured and how has it been since the injury? Worse/better, etc......

REgards,
Medical Mike
equestrian medical researcher
www.fitfocusedforward.us
soon to be equicision.com

RW06
Apr. 14, 2009, 12:44 AM
The cheese graters are great but they can KILL the bottom of your boots and your stirrup leathers. I also really like the ProJump metal pads-- they don't look incredibly grippy but I have never, ever, had a problem with my feet falling out of the stirrup with them.