PDA

View Full Version : Gloves in a schooling show?

MadHuntMom
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:54 PM
My kids are in a small schooling show this weekend. Do you think they need leather gloves? I'm figuring I might as well buy them for future shows too. What do you think?

melody1
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:56 PM
I would probably wear leather gloves, but then again I am a perfectionist/traditionalist when it comes to turnout for ANY show, schooling included. I would also say to braid, but I know many would disagree :) It certainly can't hurt to have them though, so yes, I would say get them some leather gloves.

MadHuntMom
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks! Does it matter the color for the boy's tie? All the years I showed I never paid attention to what the boys wore.

melody1
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks! Does it matter the color for the boy's tie? All the years I showed I never paid attention to what the boys wore.

Hmm, that's a good question. I haven't ever really paid attention to mens' ties, and when I show saddleseat I have ties that match my suit/vest. I would guess that any conservative color that complements his jacket would work, but don't hold me to that.

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:19 PM
If they're not currently wearing gloves, I'm not sure that it makes sense to start during a show. Also, If they aren't currently wearing gloves, I would recommend something like the Roeckl Chester gloves that don't add a lot of bulk and don't get as hot as leather. You definately don't want to change their feel of the reins right before or during the show.

beautifuldreamer
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
My daughter has been showing in local schooling shows for the last two years. After watching a few classes before her first go, she asked if she could go to the tack store and buy herself a pair of show gloves. She chose a pair of Roeckl gloves. Light, cool, with good feel. She liked using them and still uses them. But, having said that, you may want to see what the "usual" is for the shows in your neck of the woods.

equito
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:54 PM
If they're not currently wearing gloves, I'm not sure that it makes sense to start during a show. Also, If they aren't currently wearing gloves, I would recommend something like the Roeckl Chester gloves that don't add a lot of bulk and don't get as hot as leather. You definately don't want to change their feel of the reins right before or during the show.

I'd definitely second the Roeckl Chester gloves; Roeckl is a wonderful brand and the Chester gloves are incredibly thin yet strong. I've had mine for over a year and they;re still going strong.

Kenike
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:57 PM
My boy wears his gloves, but then, so do I. But, yeah, it would be wise to have them ride in gloves at home first...more than once. I would get some to school in so they're used to them. Changing the feel wouldn't be good, and they'll probably already have some nerves, so...yeah.

Ties? I never paid much attention before, except that the big name guys seem to wear white most of the time. I just have my little one wear shades of blue (darker, usually...though his Easter tie is a lighter blue paisley that I think will be cute in the AA leadline). Maybe ask your trainer?

MHM
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:28 PM
To paraphrase Carson Kressley, who knows a thing or two about horses AND fashion:

Proper attire is never the wrong answer.

This would include dark gloves and a conservative (usually dark) tie for male riders. Once in a while you'll see somebody rocking a pink tie, but not too often.

White ties are for classes that require formal attire, such as hunter classics and grand prix classes.

hrsgirl07
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:35 PM
I would say yes to the gloves (but practice with them first)

As far as a tie: the guys that i know who show have several, some variety of red, lavender/ pink, a greenish color (not my favorite but with the right coat it works well), and navy as well as white for finals and what not.

denovo
Apr. 13, 2009, 02:16 AM
gloves, yes....leather gloves, no, unless you really want to spend the extra money.

cnvh
Apr. 13, 2009, 09:14 AM
My kids are in a small schooling show this weekend. Do you think they need leather gloves? I'm figuring I might as well buy them for future shows too. What do you think?

I know it's after the fact (being Monday and all), but have you attended this schooling show before? Attire varies widely from place to place... our barn hosts a monthly schooling show and the attire is VERY casual-- jeans and half-chaps all the way to show coats, although "formal" show attire is definitely the exception, not the rule. (Maybe 5-10% in coats/ties, if that... most of our riders show up in breeches and polos/t-shirts.)

MHM is right, proper attire is never the wrong answer-- but there's no need to go overboard (at least from a cost standpoint) if it's not needed.