PDA

View Full Version : I need bridle help, please! UPDATE: I'm getting a new one!!! See post 28

Kenike
Apr. 12, 2009, 06:53 PM
Bought a really nice bridle for my son's large pony. It's lovely, lovely leather and I'm pretty happy with it, save for the color. I ordered the "light brown" with the thought that I'd be able to oil it to that nice caramel color...no big deal, right? Wrong!

The danged thing is ORANGE!! I have cleaned it (castile soap and leder combi), oiled it, cleaned it, dunked it, cleaned it, and conditioned it. It hasn't darkened even a teeny bit. It is still orange. I mean really orange. :mad: Seriously, I didn't spend $225 to have a bridle that belongs in a Halloween costume!

So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions? Any good, yet safe stuff to strip the color down so the leather will darken some? Or do I just choke it up, buy the havana version and hope someone will buy a nice orange bridle from me? It IS a good name, afterall....

I've never actually experienced this issue before! Someone help...PLEASE! (beg, beg, beg....)

shedllybip
Apr. 12, 2009, 07:38 PM
what brand is the bridle?

eqrider1234
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:01 PM
are you using neatsfoot oil?

hunterhorse22
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:11 PM
Have you tried Hydrophane darkening oil?

Kenike
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry, was eating dinner. It's a KL Select (Red Barn) bridle. I have used neatsfoot (that's what it was dunked in, even). And I've tried the darkening oil (yes, hydrophane). I thoguht that'd for sure do something....nope. It's almost like the color is painted on, or something. Really weird....

superpony123
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:17 PM
WOW. it wont even darken after neatsfoot or hydrophane?

talk about stubborn...

have you tried calling the tack shop you bought it from? tell them about your situation and maybe they can provide some pointers. I honestly have no clue because you've done everything i'd suggest, other than maybe try as a last resort getting it professionally darkened

lauriep
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:22 PM
This is one of the bridles that the ****** manufacturer has decided that they know best about the color of leather and it is treated so that you can't get anything to penetrate (beats the hell out of me how they expect you to get it supple). Nothing that I know of, including ammonia, will remove this whatever it is so that it will darken.

Take it back and insist on a refund. You did not intend for the thing to stay orange. When you purchase something else, ask specifically if it will take oil.

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:23 PM
I'd contact the manufacturer. I've heard that some bridles are shipped with a fine wax covering. It also could be a problem with the actual leather or the dying process.

mvp
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:29 PM
Is just that-- a light white but really transparent wax you can towel off. It is not common any more, but used to be a regular feature of English tack like Crosby shipped across the Atlantic.

It isn't the culprit here.

My sympathies to the OP. But really, $225 and all the products and effort you have put in so far are too much to pay for a fugly bridle. The tack shop should make it right, IMO. It sounds like you have done everything right.

Kenike
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:43 PM
No, it's not the wax. I was hoping someone would have a suggestion besides what I've always known to do (all of which has been suggested here), with the exception of taking a real risk with paint thinner....but I'm a chicken and don't want to do that. Bummer! I guess I'll call KL Select and see if they'll take it back. Doubtful, considering we used it this weekend and it's been cleaned, oiled, etc....but who knows. I ordered through their website since the "local" (90 mins away) store I know that carries them didn't have the size I needed and needed it for Saturday.
Just for giggles, I'll take a picture and post it here after a bit just so everyone can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I really appreciate it!!

LovesHorses
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'd return it. Our local tack store carries them and they definitely have that shiny, plastic look/feel to them. Some of the cheaper Bobby's bridles are like that and also won't darken. Shoot, go to the Edgewood outlet on eBay and get one of those for the same price! Good luck.

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:56 PM
No, it's not the wax. I was hoping someone would have a suggestion besides what I've always known to do (all of which has been suggested here), with the exception of taking a real risk with paint thinner....but I'm a chicken and don't want to do that. Bummer! I guess I'll call KL Select and see if they'll take it back. Doubtful, considering we used it this weekend and it's been cleaned, oiled, etc....but who knows. I ordered through their website since the "local" (90 mins away) store I know that carries them didn't have the size I needed and needed it for Saturday.
Just for giggles, I'll take a picture and post it here after a bit just so everyone can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I really appreciate it!!

If they sold you a bridle that is supposed to be light brown and not orange, you should have the expectation that oiling it would change the color to brown. Mention that every other bridle you have had has darkened upon oiling. If they are hesitant to take it back - let them know that it would be bad advertising for them to have you use it and have everyone ask you where and what type of bridle you bought so that they can avoid purchasing your bridle. Not too many people want an orange bridle.

Kenike
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:33 PM
I put it on my couch because I figured it'd do a good job of showing the orange. I think I was right!

I was joking to others over the weekend about the color. I think everyone was well aware of how uncomfortable and embarrassed I was over it. Is it any wonder? I'll definitely be calling KL Select tomorrow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/gracefultxn/Bridle003.jpg

jen-s
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:45 PM
Oh my..... Now if it was 1975 and you were using an avocado green saddle pad, maybe it would be ok. Keep us posted on what happens with KL Select's customer service.

Seven-up
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:58 PM
I put it on my couch because I figured it'd do a good job of showing the orange. I think I was right!

I was joking to others over the weekend about the color. I think everyone was well aware of how uncomfortable and embarrassed I was over it. Is it any wonder? I'll definitely be calling KL Select tomorrow.

Oh, my, indeed! That's very orange. Do you remember the name of the color? I've been wanting a Red Barn (KL Select) bridle for a long time, but now I'm a little scared! I think the dark brown one is called Australian Nut or something. It would be handy to be able to say, "NOT the orange one!"

anchorsaway
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:58 PM
oh sweet jesus, you weren't kidding!

whoa.

superpony123
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:07 PM
holy cow, that IS orange!

Kenike
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:08 PM
The Australian Nut is actually really nice. It's the color the tack store carries. Silly me, what was I thinking going with something else?? I think I now fully understand why the tack store doesn't have the light brown or newmarket ones, though!

Seriously, if they'll trade this one for the Australian Nut, I'll do it in a heartbeat. I just don't know if they'll do it with the fact this one's not in "New" condition..... I guess we'll see.

Kenike
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:09 PM
BTW, imagine this bridle on a grey pony. As in lighter grey. YUCK!

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:10 PM

I just went up to their Web Site. None of their bridles shown are in orange. You definately should have the expectation that it would darken after oiling.

Seven-up
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:12 PM
Whew. That's a relief about the Australian one.

I think it's perfectly logical to expect a flourescent orange bridle to oil up to something dark. I mean, look at Edgewood. I'd stress that when you call them. I'm sure it's not the first time someone brought back an electric orange nightmare like that!:lol:

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:25 PM
The Australian Nut is actually really nice. It's the color the tack store carries. Silly me, what was I thinking going with something else?? I think I now fully understand why the tack store doesn't have the light brown or newmarket ones, though!

Seriously, if they'll trade this one for the Australian Nut, I'll do it in a heartbeat. I just don't know if they'll do it with the fact this one's not in "New" condition..... I guess we'll see.

The return policy states: "Returned items must be in their original packaging and in new condition, or they will be rejected and sent back to you. Specific stores may have variations to this policy. View the return policy at the online store or contact Shopatron if you have questions." This is a generic return policy that the processor has. I actually would say that the bridle is defective as it is supposed to oil to a brown color, not stay orange. So rather than just saying that you want to return it, tell them it is defective as it didn't oil up to the right color - you shouldn't be liable for a mistake in the leather dying process.

Kenike
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks, DC. I was wondering how I would say it without soundling like an idiot. That's actually really good! I'm still not sure they'll take it back, but I can try. :yes:

LARGEBORE
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:56 AM
The folks at KL Select should know better.

Thej plastic coated bridles are not what is considered exceptable in the US.
I am sure that the reason the tack shop did not have any in stock is because the tack shop owner already knew that the plastic [ resin ] coated bridles in orange color would not take oil or darken. That is probably why KL could only sell it on thier website.

While you may not have a strong argument that the bridle is defective, you can always tell them that you bought it in good faith expecting that a bridle at that price would meet the typical standards to darken in color and take oil.

The people at KL KNOW what you are talking about and KNOW that the bridle was unacceptable. Question is whether they will stand behind their customer or not.

CBinVT
Apr. 13, 2009, 11:34 AM
All the bridles on the website are the nut brown color, which is lovely. KL Select is a company who I have seen in the past stand by their product. I hope your luck with them is good.

vxf111
Apr. 13, 2009, 12:00 PM
I have 2 Red Barn bridles in "nut." Neither started out so orange and both accepted oil nicely. Something is not right about your bridle. KL Select is a good company. Call them directly, I think they will make it right.

Come Shine
Apr. 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
Wow! That is certainly ORANGE. :eek:

How on earth do they get it that colour in the first place?

Kenike
Apr. 13, 2009, 01:14 PM
HUGE HUGE HUGE Kudos to KL Select! I'll not only do business with them from now on, but I'll recommend them to anyone!!!

I just got off the phone with them and they're out of the bridle I need for now, but will be getting plenty more by the end of the month. In the meantime, they are letting me use the one I have and then letting me ship it back to trade for a new one at the end of the month! YAY!!!

They had a batch where the wrong leather was used. They were unimpressed by the color & quality and thought they had sorted them all out....obviously one slipped through and I got it. She said none would accept oil, they were a funky color, and they were not supposed to end up in customer hands. She was really, REALLY nice and apologetic. She's even swapping it out for the nut color for me!

What a great experience. Thanks so much, guys, for all the help! Rest assured it all worked out wonderfully well! :yes:

vxf111
Apr. 13, 2009, 01:28 PM
KL Select are wonderful to deal with. I knew they'd make it right. :)

paint hunter
Apr. 13, 2009, 01:43 PM
I share your pain. I bought the same bridle off of Ebay about a year ago from a private seller, new without tags. The picture shown in the ad was the darker color but the seller did say the actual bridle's color was newmarket (or something similar). Well, it also turned out to be the hideous orange. And no, it is the atual color; the "dye" appears to be painted on and there is no way it is ever going to change color. I bought it simply because a lot of people on COTH said it was a pretty good bridle for the price and I wanted to see for myself. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine (who runs a tack shop) and told her to give it to someone who couldn't afford a bridle.

Yes, it was a first round draft choice for the all-ugly team!

CBinVT
Apr. 13, 2009, 01:59 PM
Glad to hear they still stand by their product so well! I have always bought their bridles and loved them, but it's nice to see companies stand behind their leatherworks like that.

Seven-up
Apr. 13, 2009, 04:24 PM
Wow, very cool!:D