PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Fit Issues - VENT and Need Suggestions!!!

Green Acres
Apr. 12, 2009, 01:55 PM
I must have the strangest shaped head around and now I'm wondering if I can find something that fits without giving a headache!!!! I have an oval shapped head and even the lady at the tack store yesterday made a comment that my forehead comes to little bit of a point. UGH!!!

So I have an IRH - not sure what model but it's probably 3 years old. It's comfortable for a while but by the end of a day of showing I have a headache and a red spot on my forehead. The bump stays there for several days and I look like a total goob.

I went last week to a tack store trying on Charles Owens GR8, CO Hampton, several IRH's. They didn't have the JR8 so they ordered one in my size which I went yesterday to try it. Nope, didn't feel good. I liked the GR8 so I brought that home to wear around the house for a little while. If I don't like it, I can return it. Well I have it on as I type this (working on the computer is hazardous you know... ;)) and I don't think it's going to work either. :mad:

I did try on a CO AYR8 but the store didn't have the next size up which I would have liked to have tried. I did put on a GPA at another store but it felt very round and didn't seem to fit either.

What else can I try? Also the tack stores in my area have a limited number of helmets and sizes and the decent stored are over an hour away from me!!!

mjmvet
Apr. 12, 2009, 04:11 PM
Not sure if you've tried this, but some of the helmets that come in small, med, and large come with stick on, padded strips that you're supposed to stick on the inside of the helmet to adjust the fit. I wonder if you had an oval shaped helmet that was a little too big, then stuck the padded strips on the sides (and not the front or back) if that would help? Good luck,
m

magnolia73
Apr. 12, 2009, 04:51 PM
International makes some of their helmets in long oval. At least I hope they still do. That should fit a little better than the roundish ones. For some reason, I thought CO's and GPA's fit rounder heads better.

Come Shine
Apr. 12, 2009, 04:59 PM
Next to horse shopping and saddle shopping, helmet shopping is the worst! I have an IRH and a Tipperary. I use a little sponge in the front of the Tipperary because there is a bump in the helmet that bugs me. I use a padded strip in the front of the IRH to help it fit better. Good luck!

GinGin74
Apr. 12, 2009, 07:12 PM
My head is similar to yours, but my point is in the back. I have a Charles Owen Hampton that is the best fit I could find. The 7 1/4 is the best size front to back, but there's a little room in the back on either side of my point. I bought stick on weather stripping for doors from home depot (recommendation from my tack store) and added it to the inside on either side of the point. It added just enough filler to snug up my helmet where I can turn my head upside down with it on unhooked and it won't fall off. It doesn't give me a head ache either. Since it's cheap, it might be worth trying.

Sing Mia Song
Apr. 12, 2009, 07:47 PM
Have you tried the IRH in a long oval? I hve a very "pointy" head, and the Hampton fits me the best, with the long oval IRH second and the GR8 third. The GPA is like a bucket on my head--very painful.

Skip's Rider
Apr. 12, 2009, 07:48 PM
I had a regional CO rep help me with helmet fit, and I must say it was the best thing I ever did regarding helmets. I NEVER would have picked the helmet the rep chose for me. When she first put it on my head, it felt too tight. I thought it would give me a splitting headache, but after wearing it for just 10 minutes, it was clear to me that it was the most comfortable helmet I'd ever worn. Now, three years later, I own 2 of these helmets -- one for every day and one for showing. So, I suggest you find a representative who can fit a helmet for you -- and I don't mean the people at the tack shop. Most of them are not well trained in helmet fitting. Good luck!

BTW, I also have a very oval head. The CO Showjumper Xp fits me perfectly.

IsolaBella09
Apr. 12, 2009, 07:57 PM
I have an oval shaped head and my GPA Pro Titium fits great. It's light, comfortable, and is very cool. Plus is has lining that are removable that can be thrown in the wash and dryer. Works for me. ;)

Green Acres
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:16 PM
I had a regional CO rep help me with helmet fit, and I must say it was the best thing I ever did regarding helmets. I NEVER would have picked the helmet the rep chose for me. When she first put it on my head, it felt too tight. I thought it would give me a splitting headache, but after wearing it for just 10 minutes, it was clear to me that it was the most comfortable helmet I'd ever worn. Now, three years later, I own 2 of these helmets -- one for every day and one for showing. So, I suggest you find a representative who can fit a helmet for you -- and I don't mean the people at the tack shop. Most of them are not well trained in helmet fitting. Good luck!

BTW, I also have a very oval head. The CO Showjumper Xp fits me perfectly.

How did you find a CO rep to help you? I know the folks at the tack stored mean well but no they aren't experts in helmet fitting.

I have thought about going up one size and then use padding or weather stripping like Gingin suggested to fill in where needed.

I wore the GR8 for almost 2 hours today and had a red mark on my forehead. So I guess I will send the GR8 back tomorrow. The tack store didn't seem to have the IRH in the long oval so I didn't get to try it on.

Elementgrl2
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:27 PM
Did you try on both the GPA's textium and the titium?

Skip's Rider
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:31 PM
How did you find a CO rep to help you? I know the folks at the tack stored mean well but no they aren't experts in helmet fitting.

I have thought about going up one size and then use padding or weather stripping like Gingin suggested to fill in where needed.

I wore the GR8 for almost 2 hours today and had a red mark on my forehead. So I guess I will send the GR8 back tomorrow. The tack store didn't seem to have the IRH in the long oval so I didn't get to try it on.

A local store started carrying CO products and had the regional representative on hand for the kick-off event. You might be able to contact the rep in your area through your local tack shop. Generally, the reps don't sell to you directly. They will have you buy through the tack shop, so there is no reason for the tack shop to avoid contacting the rep. You might also contact CO directly through their website -- nothing to lose.

Green Acres
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:32 PM
Did you try on both the GPA's textium and the titium?

I tried on a GPA but not sure which one. I was initially was trying not to spend a fortune on a helmet since I only show 4-6 shows a year right now.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Apr. 13, 2009, 07:53 AM
I also have an oval head and comfortably wear the IRH for schooling and the GPA titium "Pro" fits an oval head as well which I will use for shows.

Private Diamonds
Apr. 13, 2009, 10:19 AM
Charles Owen Hampton works well for an oval head. I went to the tack store and had them fit me for a helmet and that is what I came away with.

Green Acres
Apr. 13, 2009, 01:41 PM
Ack...I hate shopping!!! I went to a local tack store during lunch and hate going there due to no-customer service... The only helmets they really carry are IRH's. I found an ATH-SSV that felt ok but not just awesome. But I didn't buy it as the store only allows in store credit or exchange. I don't like the store so I sure don't want a huge credit with them!!!

I think a long oval in an IRH might be the trick but none of the local tack stores seem to have any so I guess I may order for Smartpak and go that route. At least Smartpak will take returns...right???

magnolia73
Apr. 13, 2009, 03:00 PM
At least Smartpak will take returns...right???

I'd call and confirm in case they don't take back helmets for safety reasons.

lauraware
Apr. 14, 2009, 02:18 AM
Try the CO Wellington Pro. I have had mine for about 3 years now, and it is AMAZING!! The gr8 didn't fit me well, either (it was a little sloppy on my head, but too tight in the next size down), the GPA was not even CLOSE to fitting me, and my previous IRH did fit okay, but it sat a little too low on my face and sometimes would fall into my eyes.

Also, what you can do, is find the helmet that fits you the closest, and have the people at the tack shop add some extra foam into it to make it fit better. They did that with my IRH, and it fit fine for the 3 years I had it, and I think the fact that it's a little loose now is just because all the foam has worn down.

poltroon
Apr. 14, 2009, 03:08 AM
I wish there was a place where you could go where they would just have every helmet there is in every size and just try them all on. You in the east may be able to do this at Dover; I don't know. Even to try every helmet from one company would be fabulous. It would seem obvious that you'd be able to do this at something like the Horse Expo with all those acres of vendors, but... Nope!

ImJumpin
Apr. 14, 2009, 07:37 AM
Try the CO Wellington Pro. I have had mine for about 3 years now, and it is AMAZING!! The gr8 didn't fit me well, either (it was a little sloppy on my head, but too tight in the next size down), the GPA was not even CLOSE to fitting me, and my previous IRH did fit okay, but it sat a little too low on my face and sometimes would fall into my eyes.

Also, what you can do, is find the helmet that fits you the closest, and have the people at the tack shop add some extra foam into it to make it fit better. They did that with my IRH, and it fit fine for the 3 years I had it, and I think the fact that it's a little loose now is just because all the foam has worn down.

It sounds like you weren't into spending $300 plus on a helmet-- go with the Wellington Classic to save money-- same exact helmet with different coverings but the Pro is the "in" style, thus $100 more :rolleyes:

Try the tipperary. You may not want to show in it, but you could at least use it everyday and with the low cost, still have enough left over to find a decent fitting hat for shows. The Tipp seems to fit a wide variety of head shapes. If you can find the "old" style, that fits even differently than the new, so you'd have two different to try on.

Green Acres
Apr. 14, 2009, 07:53 AM
It sounds like you weren't into spending $300 plus on a helmet-- go with the Wellington Classic to save money-- same exact helmet with different coverings but the Pro is the "in" style, thus $100 more :rolleyes:

Try the tipperary. You may not want to show in it, but you could at least use it everyday and with the low cost, still have enough left over to find a decent fitting hat for shows. The Tipp seems to fit a wide variety of head shapes. If you can find the "old" style, that fits even differently than the new, so you'd have two different to try on.

I ride in a Tipperary for everyday use and it's fairly comfortable. It did bother me some this past weekend when I had a long lesson as my beasite was being very silly. ;)

Poltroon - yes, it would be really nice to go some where that had a bunch of different helmets in a range of sizes to try!!! Then I probably could find something that fits without having to take a loan out! There is a Dover store about an hour away so maybe I should give them a try next weekend.

LookinSouth
Apr. 14, 2009, 08:04 AM
I think a long oval in an IRH might be the trick but none of the local tack stores seem to have any so I guess I may order for Smartpak and go that route. At least Smartpak will take returns...right???

Unfortunately IRH only makes a few helmets in long oval. That may be the way to go. I don't know that any other company makes the Long oval.

A size 7 long oval is the only size I have found that is truly comfortable. I am currently shopping for a new helmet as well and that's what I am intending on getting. The IRH Windsor comes in Long oval as does the Buckingham and I would call Dover as I believe some are on Closeout.

the tipperay's are a great idea for schooling and trail riding. My last show helmet got trashed from trail riding so I'll be getting one of the tipps for that.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/irh-windsor-show-helmet/p/X1-3627/cn/39/

http://www.doversaddlery.com/irh-buckingham-show-helmet/p/X1-3639/cn/39/

LookinSouth
Apr. 14, 2009, 08:04 AM
Dover store about an hour away so maybe I should give them a try next weekend.

that would be your best bet, that is how I discovered that long oval is the only size that really fits me.

AKB
Apr. 14, 2009, 09:23 AM
Try the Charles Owen Wellington. My large, oval, head does well with the CO's that have the soft plastic padding in the back like the Wellington. My problem is that the GR8 does not fit me well and the Wellington's largest size, 7 1/2, is a little tight on me.

poltroon
Apr. 15, 2009, 01:49 AM
Helmet manufacturers would do us all a great service if they could get together and have a massive Helmet Try-on Event at some of the big horse expos, so you'd be able to try all these on.