PDA

View Full Version : Exercises for Jumper riders

aojumper123
Apr. 11, 2009, 05:36 PM
I just started competing the lover level jumpers (meters) and am wondering if anyone knows how I can increase my endurance. I find that after a course of 12-16 jumps I am huffing and puffing ( my horse is fine!) I am very physically fit- I go to the gym and do cardio and weights for at least 1-2 hrs 6 days a week. My trainer says I should get a new horse so I have 2 to compete on, but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions?

danosaur
Apr. 11, 2009, 05:45 PM
I'd say ride more horses per day.
like take any catch rides you can because if you're riding say, four horses a day then a course of 12 fences is nothing.

cantercutie
Apr. 11, 2009, 05:55 PM
Make sure you are breathing as you go around the course. It may sound silly but if you get at all nervous in those 12-16 jumps and take shallower breaths you will no doubt be short of breath at the end! Otherwise, riding more horses would be ideal but I would also suggest taking a jog/brisk walk outside every day or other day just to acclimate your lungs to working while outside instead of in the gym. However, I am very impressed with your workout habits; I wish I had that kind of dedication!

medical mike
Apr. 11, 2009, 06:44 PM
Second the focus on breathing.
As you did not mention how long nor the level you have been competing, this would be a logical place to start.

That said, If you have been riding a while, is your lack of endurance a new development? Also, what level of intensity (heart rate) and weight train (percentage of max) do you off horse condition at?

Regards,
Medical Mike
equestrian medical researcher
www.fitfocisedforward.us
soon to be equicision.com

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 11, 2009, 10:06 PM
I totally agree with cantercutie. I always forget to breath on course, usually because I'm so nervous, and then at the end of the course realize that I haven't been breathing the whole time lol. Focus on making sure you are breathing and that may help.

lintesia
Apr. 12, 2009, 06:18 PM
I totally agree with the posters about breathing. The very same thing would happen to me and it had nothing to do with how fit I was. Once I learned to keep breathing as I went around the course, the problem went away. For me, I had to learn by forcing myself to breath when jumping at home, so that I became aware of it (and thus aware when I wasn't breathing!). I'll still forget, especially my very first round at a show, but having practiced how to breathe, I can now fix it for the next round.

NEIGH-HAM
Apr. 12, 2009, 06:28 PM
True about what the others say, no matter how pyhsically fit you are, it means nothing if you aren't breathing:winkgrin:

Horseymama
Apr. 12, 2009, 07:27 PM
Sprints! If you go to the gym, get on the track and/or treadmill and do some sprints. Riding a course is a bit like sprinting at about 80%, sometimes more (jump-off.) When you are sprinting, focus on your breath and breathing as deeply as you can. This will help strengthen and increase lung capacity.

XenophonKnows
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:11 PM
Agree with above. 99% likely you are holding your breath.

sm473
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:26 PM
I think everyone is right about breathing. Also, riding more horses will keep you fit. Just ask any excercise rider or jockey at a race track that rides 10 horses a day. Now thats how you stay fit!

aojumper123
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:26 PM
I really appreciate all the feedback! I will focus on breathing at home while jumping and work some sprints into my current routine. I have started running outside as well.

MissIndependence
Apr. 13, 2009, 09:01 AM
I also agree....I bet you are holding your breath. I do it all the time and have to remind myself to focus on breathing in and out....