PDA

View Full Version : I've had it!

hideyourheart03
Apr. 11, 2009, 02:12 PM
Last summer, at my job, we were required to ride everyday in breeches. Because of this I bought 6 pairs of TS schooling breeches so that I could essentially have one pair every day. Since I've gotten home, I've continued to ride in breeches everyday and really prefer to do so. I only normally ride one so I wouldn't think it would have really killed the breeches.

Well, I thought wrong. Every pair of my breeches (save for maybe one) has worn thin in the crotch area. My mom has patched them and everything and they just keep wearing thin around the patches. I'm so sick of pulling out breeches to wear and looking to see that I probably shouldn't wear them to avoid them getting even thinner before they get patched.

I'm a HUGE TS fan.. they're the only breeches that fit me really well, Ariats don't really fit me at all... but I CAN'T afford to spend $800 a year on schooling breeches! Any suggestions? Should I just by the professionals and less of them? I know I'm probably going to have to reinvest in more breeches this summer when I go back to my job, but I want these ones to last at least 2 years! Is this assumption too unrealistic of any type of breech??

Penthilisea
Apr. 11, 2009, 02:24 PM
I am not a hunter expert at all so please forgive me if I am totally off base.
The particular part of the breeches that wears thin is the crotch to mid inner thigh area? If this is so, could you pay someone to convert them to full seat breeches, with leather or suede in those areas? It would cost money, but not necessarily as much as buying 6 new pairs of TS's per year.

I would also take a look at your saddle and see why you have this much wear- perhaps a sheepskin cover could reduce the friction?

IsolaBella09
Apr. 11, 2009, 02:27 PM
Buy the Professionals. They are worth the money. I have 4 pairs of the Pros. Three are for schooling/shows and my white pair is for Classics at shows. I've had mine for over 2 years, I wear them everyday, and they still go in the show ring. I throw them in the wash and dryer and they're fine. Drycleaning them is not necessary, unless you really want to waste your money. If you decide not to buy the Pros, find britches that have a lot of nylon in them. Nylon makes the fabric stronger, repels dirt, and is also comfy. But I would still buy the TS Pros. I love mine.

superpony123
Apr. 11, 2009, 02:27 PM
i have one pair of TS schoolies that i bought last year in late summer or early fall. ive worn them quite a bit and i ride more than one pony when i am at the barn, and so far they have not shown any wear in the crotch or anything and they hold up fine. however maybe you should invest in some cheaper breeches for the summer? get several pairs of schooling tights. TS fit me perfectly and are the most comfortable, but i have a couple pairs of schooling tights that probably only cost me $20-30 each. How about save your TS for the other seasons, and get some cheap breeches for your summer job? Ive also found mine to be very durable, and should last you for more than a summer. I suggest Kerrits. As far as the Pro's goes, if you dont fit into ariats and you love TS, youre probably built like me. I dont fit well into ariat at all, though i do have a pair, i hate them. And I tried on a pair of pro's once, and i found the material and the fit to be extremely similar to Ariat. Though they should be much stronger than the TS schoolies (because those are all cotton).

Also, i think it's also possible that maybe your TS were part of a "bad batch" ? Seems less likely if they are different colors or something, but if you bought them all at the same time, same place, its likely they came from the same factory. It happens.

Lucassb
Apr. 11, 2009, 03:50 PM
I prefer the TS fit too, and have a bunch of the less expensive cotton schooling breeches in addition to the regular Supreme hunters (the heavier, four way stretch ones.) I also gave one pair of the Professionals also and like them very much - they do seem more durable than the regular cotton variety.

I ride in my breeches every day and have not seen much wear in them so far, and I don't baby them - they go right in the regular wash and then I hang them up to dry. But if you are wearing through them, I'd certainly try another brand or consider the Pros even though they are more expensive, on the theory that it's better economy to pay once and get more use out of something than to keep replacing "cheaper" stuff.

The other breech you might like that is quite inexpensive is the Equine Couture line that Smartpak sells. They are a really nice microfiber breech that is very comfortable, especially in the summer, and they wear like iron. I've had a pair that has lasted me at least 3 years and they are still in great shape. The fit is similar to the TS, too. http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=5489

The other option is to watch Ebay - you can frequently pick up great new breeches at really good prices on there.

Rye
Apr. 11, 2009, 03:57 PM
I had the same darn problem with the low-rise Tailored Sportsman. Have you tried the GrandPrix? I think the fabric is a little more substantial than the Tailored Sportsmans.

Now the Tailored Sportsman 4-way stretch show breeches I've had for 10 years and I can't wear those darn things out. Only problem is that they are the regular height waist which now feels like it's up to my armpits. ha ha

Foxtrot's
Apr. 11, 2009, 04:20 PM
Why don't you write to them? You never know, they might come through.

goeslikestink
Apr. 11, 2009, 04:47 PM
Last summer, at my job, we were required to ride everyday in breeches. Because of this I bought 6 pairs of TS schooling breeches so that I could essentially have one pair every day. Since I've gotten home, I've continued to ride in breeches everyday and really prefer to do so. I only normally ride one so I wouldn't think it would have really killed the breeches.

Well, I thought wrong. Every pair of my breeches (save for maybe one) has worn thin in the crotch area. My mom has patched them and everything and they just keep wearing thin around the patches. I'm so sick of pulling out breeches to wear and looking to see that I probably shouldn't wear them to avoid them getting even thinner before they get patched.

I'm a HUGE TS fan.. they're the only breeches that fit me really well, Ariats don't really fit me at all... but I CAN'T afford to spend $800 a year on schooling breeches! Any suggestions? Should I just by the professionals and less of them? I know I'm probably going to have to reinvest in more breeches this summer when I go back to my job, but I want these ones to last at least 2 years! Is this assumption too unrealistic of any type of breech??

get pairs that fit you then they wont go in the crotch

hideyourheart03
Apr. 11, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

These pairs definitely fit me great, goeslikestink - it's the same size I've worn forever and they all fit perfect. Who knows.

And I do the exact same thing as far as washing and then hang drying Luscassb, so who knows there either.

Rye - my 4-ways at the same way! I've had them 8 years and they are still going strong! I adore them! Wish I could afford to ride in them everyday!

I might look into those Equine Couture ones or Grand Prix... If not, I looks like I'll be buying pros...

Thanks for the idea to write them too. I think I might do that.

ExJumper
Apr. 11, 2009, 05:45 PM
Same thing happened to me riding in them a few days a week, and to my trainers kid, riding in them several times a day. The cotton ones just don't stand up. I thought it was my thighs :) but the trainers kid is tiny and her TS are looser than mine.

Either get cheaper breeches an expect to have to replace them more frequently, or get the pros. They cost twice as much but they will last WAY more than twice as long. I'm not willing to spend $130 on cotton TS when a pair of $60 Tuffriders or On Course or something will last longer. The Professionals are $220 or so, and they are machine washable and hold up WAY better.

Also maybe try some of the smartpak breeches? My trainer's kid hasn't managed to ride through any of those yet.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 11, 2009, 06:22 PM
Weird. Maybe it's just the way some people ride that makes it happen?

I have tons of pairs of the TS low rise schoolies (a shameful number actually...:uhoh:) and not one pair is even worn a little. The darker shades that are older have faded in the sun some but that's it. I wear mine everyday and ride two in them but I have enough pairs that I usually don't have to wear the same ones twice in the same week but several pairs of mine are over 4 years old. I toss them in the washer and dryer so they are pretty abused.

horserider12
Apr. 11, 2009, 06:31 PM
I rotate about 4 pairs of tailoreds each week, ride a few horses each day and have never worn through any. My show britches are at least 7 years old! I have always thrown them in the washer and dryer. I did recently get a pair of the new Hoof and Woof britches that they asked me to demo. They are really comfy, seem to be wearing well and are only 80.00 new! give them a try, the person who developed them says they get softer and more comfy the more you wash them, they actually say do not dry clean on the tag.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 11, 2009, 06:34 PM
I rotate about 4 pairs of tailoreds each week, ride a few horses each day and have never worn through any. My show britches are at least 7 years old! I have always thrown them in the washer and dryer. I did recently get a pair of the new Hoof and Woof britches that they asked me to demo. They are really comfy, seem to be wearing well and are only 80.00 new! give them a try, the person who developed them says they get softer and more comfy the more you wash them, they actually say do not dry clean on the tag.

As far as I can tell it's not possible to buy Hoof and Woof breeches yet. I've been wanting to get my hands on a pair for a while b/c they are supposed to fit exactly like TS breeches and be just as nice for less money but can't find them anywhere.

Livie
Apr. 11, 2009, 07:20 PM
It's not just you.

I bought 5 pairs last year because I loved the fit and colours so much but they've all died. I ride 2-3 horses per day 6 days a week and rotated not only the TS's but a few other schooling breeches and the TS's quit the soonest. They faded and the inside seams all rubbed out. I ended up trying the custom apparel (?) breeches from VTO. Similar fit and price but the fabric is a bit heavier and they don't have seams on the inside of the legs. So far, they seem to be holding up a little better.

Alterrain
Apr. 11, 2009, 10:34 PM
As far as I can tell it's not possible to buy Hoof and Woof breeches yet. I've been wanting to get my hands on a pair for a while b/c they are supposed to fit exactly like TS breeches and be just as nice for less money but can't find them anywhere.

I don't know if you are the right size, but there are some for sale in the rider apparel forum. I *think* that OP is actually sponsered by h&w
, maybe she could help you?

TheHunterKid90
Apr. 12, 2009, 12:43 AM
I found some breeches on ebay last year called "Schou"...cotton, light weight, nice though....I paid between 10-15 dollars a pair for them, had 5 pair, and wore them every day and rode 5-6 horses a day in them...no special care, washer dryer, etc....and they are just now starting to wear. Talk about a great deal, they are like iron!!!!!

Rio Blanco
Apr. 12, 2009, 12:56 AM
A girl on our IHSA/NCAA team has the Hoof n Woof breeches... I'm not a big fan :( They look like you'll have the same problem with them as you did with the TS schooling. If you are on a school team you should be able to order them... I'll dig through my univ. email and see if I can find the link coach had emailed to us.

My friend has 2 of her own and rides a bunch for our trainer every week and she's nixed buying TS and has started buying Grand Prix breeches. They have all the colors and everything and last muuuuuch longer.

LookinSouth
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:54 AM
Have you tried the RJ classics breeches? The material is similar to the TS ( 4 way stretch) and they are much cheaper. You can get them from an ebay store for under 90.00 if I recall.

touchstone-
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:46 AM
Cotton breeches are just not going to last forever. If you want durability, I'd invest in the old fashioned 2-way nylon breeches, which seem to last *forever.* If you shop around for sales or troll ebay, you can get pairs for about the same as the cotton ones.

Or, as others suggest, buy less expensive cotton breeches and plan on replacing them every year or so.