PDA

View Full Version : Wool flocked& custom saddles who makes them??

sweetpea
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:02 PM
Okay first I thought my saddle nightmare was over but I was wrong--

I have a horse that cannot do of non custom so I need suggestions.

I currently own a saddle that fits and it is a wool flocked saddle and because of so many details I cannot continue to work with the company.
So I would love some imput on some different brands that do wool flocking or felt.

And I am not looking to take out a mortgage to pay for it!@!

Lilykoi
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:13 PM
I have a Black Country that was custom fitted to my TB mare by Mike Corcoran.
He has since left Black Country and sells his own saddle now. It is also wool flocked. I had him make one for my new mare who was a bit bigger than the TB, unfortunately for me!
Anyway, it is a beautiful saddle. Not sure what is too much but the last saddle was around $2200. No bells and whistles, very close contact. But super comfy for me and my pony.

sweetpea
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:26 PM
I see alot on the board with Black County --- tell me more

JB
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:28 PM
You don't need to deal with the company just to have wool flocking redone. For example, there's a large tack shop about 2 hours from me that will reflock any saddle, no matter the brand. They will also replace wool flocking with foam panels, and vice-versa.

So, your current saddle fits, and you like it, look to find a saddle fitter who also re-flocks and who will work on your saddle.

Irish Ei's
Apr. 11, 2009, 01:08 AM
County, County and then, there's County. :D:lol::cool:

ExJumper
Apr. 11, 2009, 01:12 AM
County, but they aren't cheap.

jn4jenny
Apr. 11, 2009, 08:16 AM
I see alot on the board with Black County --- tell me more

Which questions, specifically, have not been answered by a forum search? Black Country saddles are wonderful and have been talked to death on this forum in previous threads.

Off the top of my head, here are some brands that will customize and flock with wool, from cheapest up to about $2500. Black Country would be my choice for "best bang for the buck" among these:

Berney Brothers (seat hard as a rock but the quality is awesome, VERY popular with eventers, custom made in Ireland)

Duett, custom made in Germany. They specialize in wide horses and the smallest size you can get one in is medium tree, so not a good choice for most high-withered horses (www.duettsaddles.com)

Smith Worthington, custom made in Connecticut. Great customer service. http://www.smithworthington.com/saddles/Custom/Custom.htm

Stubben, who only recently began doing custom work (or if they've been doing it for longer, they didn't advertise it in the past). I assume the saddles are custom made in Germany, but who knows.

Classic Saddlery, made in Walsall, England (similar in quality to Black
Country but the resale value is almost nil since very few people have heard of the brand, also fewer design options than Black Country, www.classicsaddlery.com)

Black Country - Best contact for Black Country is probably Trumbull Mountain Tack Shop in New Jersey (www.trumbullmtn.com). And try searching the forums for "Black Country" and choose the "Show Posts" option.

There are others in higher price ranges--County, Stackhouse, etc.--but that's going to require a mortgage payment and then some.

Bearhunter
Apr. 11, 2009, 09:46 AM
So it just needs reflocking? I don't understand the issue, since you say it fits. If you don't wish to continue with the company, I agree with JB. Find an independent saddle fitter. I am a huge Amerigo fan. Love them!

lesson junkie
Apr. 11, 2009, 10:34 AM
I have a Smith Worthington Beaufort, custom fit for a TB mare with a glass back. Kurt at SW fit the saddle using saddle tracings I did here and mailed to him. That mare has since gone to another home, and I had the saddle reconfigured to fit my DW gelding. The local County fitter did the work.

If you like your current saddle, and just need to fit it to your beastie, that's very doable. You will have to be prepared to be patient-sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it exactly right. SW works on all brands-they are great.

Good luck!

jn4jenny
Apr. 11, 2009, 10:55 AM
So it just needs reflocking? I don't understand the issue, since you say it fits. If you don't wish to continue with the company, I agree with JB. Find an independent saddle fitter. I am a huge Amerigo fan. Love them!

I love my Amerigo too--in fact, it will be pried out of my cold dead hands--but she said she's working on a beer budget, not champagne, and needs something fully custom. That doesn't sound like a match for Amerigo to me--they're expensive, they either have what you need or they don't, their turnaround time for custom work is quite long, etc.

That said, I ditto the advice to have an independent saddle fitter involved regardless of whether you just get your wool replaced in the current saddle or you pursue one of the custom brands. It will cost you more up-front to work with one, but it will save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run.

sweetpea
Apr. 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
The company I am dealing with I had two saddles go totally wrong.

Saddle one - tree kept widening - had to relance 3 times in 9 months
this equals 150 X 3 = 450.00
Company traded me out different saddle and totaly differnt make--tree

Get new saddle --- no charge for fitting but gas charge over 150.00
Fitter fit horse wrong --- made horse soooooooo back sore it wore down his hair and it blistered. In between I contacted fitter and said " Hey flattened hair is that typical or is something else wrong"? Fitter says " Tighten your girth " Hmmm okay did that , get to
winter circuit and wahlay it was so bad now- Called the Company they sent out a fitter.
OMG the fitter see's his back -- short story -- fitted wrong--- Company pays for rehab and now saddle fits---- Crappy first 2 weeks of showing-
Next issue --- my seat is wrinkling like a carpet not pulled tight enough --- I mean big wrinkles------ Company say's " We will reseat and send back to England"
So I would now use loaner saddle and hope it would not lame my horse.

So I am so tired of my saddle issues-

My first time ever going custom , cause he is that special fit --- But I am tirde of everything going wrong.
So please if my viewpoint needs to be adjusted Tell me. The Company is helpful and I like them . But like I said " AHHHHHHHH" ANd yes this was a mortgage saddle!!

FlashGordon
Apr. 11, 2009, 01:57 PM
I just picked up a Black Country very reasonably and I LOVE IT. Its the GP Event model, but they do make an array of CC models, with all kinds of custom options.

Now I totally get why people adore these saddles. They are very well made, beautiful leather too. Mine was just reflocked by the seller but I will most likely have to adjusted to fit my guy.

sweetpea
Apr. 11, 2009, 02:42 PM
It does not have to be board flat but I do not like deep at all.

How often do you re flock your saddle??

jn4jenny
Apr. 11, 2009, 03:56 PM
It does not have to be board flat but I do not like deep at all.

How often do you re flock your saddle??

This is a question best directed at a Black Country dealer, like Trumbull Mountain tack shop. The reason I say that is the answer is more complex than "The Quantum has a less-deep seat than the Wexford and tends to be popular with close-contact-loving riders." The Quantum's tree can be put in any number of saddles--you can get a straight-up standard Quantum, a Quantum with closer-contact flaps, a Quantum with a monoflap, a Quantum with Wexford flaps (I think they have some schmancy new name for that model now), etc. For that matter, if you REALLY want to be free in the cantle, the Tex Eventer is like a Quantum with an even more slopey seat with lots of wiggle room in the cantle (to accommodate eventers on drop fences on XC). Get in touch with a Black Country dealer to discuss possibilities.

As for reflocking, it can depend quite a bit on the quality of the wool, the quality of the stuffing job, the shape of the panels, how much the saddle was used and on what kind of horse, etc. Real purists will tell you that you need a reflock every 3 years and you need a flocking adjustment every 6 months, but on a really well made saddle, you can sometimes go 10 or 15 or 20 years before having either thing occur. And I sure as heck don't get MY flocking checked or overflocked every 6 months--my saddle has seen less use in 6 months than some people put on a saddle in three weeks! It totally depends on the situation.

I realize that you've had a bad potty training experience with a brand rep saddle fitter, but seriously, you need to get a GOOD and QUALIFIED brand-independent saddle fitter involved. Most (albeit not all) brand rep saddle fitters are ill trained and put people in exactly the situation you've described. I can't tell you how many horror stories like yours I've read about Devoucoux, County, and Schleese brand fitters (and to be fair, I've heard well-deserved raves about OTHER reps for these companies). Hell, the local brand rep that tried to sell me my Amerigo was completely WRONG about which saddle she tried to sell me, and it took a call to and visit from the national Amerigo brand rep to straighten it out, so I totally relate. But if you give your location in a future post, perhaps a COTH'er can point you to a good and trustworthy independent fitter.

sweetpea
Apr. 11, 2009, 04:05 PM
I will talk to trumbull Monday.

JB
Apr. 11, 2009, 05:26 PM
Ok, the new information is a lot more helpful :) It sounds like indeed your current saddle is just not structurally correct - that's different from just "if fits but having flocking issues" ;)

Glad you're going to talk to TM - you'll have to let us know how that goes and if you decide on one of their saddles (which may or may not be a BC, they have other great brands :)).

imagdrider
Apr. 13, 2009, 02:28 PM
Bruno Delgrange

RW06
Apr. 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
Richard Castelow!

hollyhorse2000
Apr. 15, 2009, 03:02 PM
I, too, had to surrender a big name (think French) saddle "custom fit" to my horse by the company rep only to have two different reputable independent saddle fitters a year later explain that it didn't fit and would never fit due to conformational issues that couldn't be dealt with in that saddle, alas. Off it went to be sold and I got a Black Country Maelstrom (the Quantum with calf skin) with a variety of special options, including wither gussets, extra forward flap, etc. I have it checked by a saddle fitter about every six months. I still have to shim it slightly (horse is very assymetrical) but it fits quite well and I'm pleased. It's also an attractive saddle. It cost about $1K less than my French version . ..

BAC
Apr. 15, 2009, 03:16 PM
In addition to the saddles already mentioned, the custom French saddles can also be ordered with wool flocking, I know for a fact CWD offers that option and I believe Antares does also.

MILOUTE55
Apr. 15, 2009, 04:17 PM
In addition to the saddles already mentioned, the custom French saddles can also be ordered with wool flocking, I know for a fact CWD offers that option

:yes: