PDA

View Full Version : Custom riding boots

horsesrule12_34
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:54 PM
I need custom riding boots and I found what i think is a good website..but im not sure since they said that suggested retail price was $900 and they are selling for $370..it makes me kind of suppicious. Should I try them or are they a bad deal?:confused:
http://gotallyho.com/ultimate-field-riding-boots-p-28.html

Pirateer
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:56 PM
Why do you NEED customs?

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 10, 2009, 03:19 PM
Do not not not order these boots. I thought I was getting a good deal when I ordered them, but I was so wrong. The leather quality is crap, they never broke in, even after a year+ of wear and conditioning. I had myself fitted my a local tack shop owner and when the boots came, they were like 2 inches too big in the calf. I called the company and they said that they made them a little bit looser so they would fit!! They wouldn't even take the boots back and fix them. And I didn't get zippers, but god knows the problems I'm sure they would have caused. I still wore them to local shows for over a year because I had nothing else and I did pay for them, but eventually(after many many many blisters) I retired them to my closet where they will stay until they fall apart. I was going to sell them on ebay, but I decided that would be mean. ;)

HorsRdr477
Apr. 10, 2009, 03:29 PM
I was going to sell them on ebay, but I decided that would be mean. ;)

:lol:Thank for being nice!

horsesrule12_34
Apr. 10, 2009, 03:35 PM
hey thanks! i almost ordered them! has anyone tried these??
http://www.ridersmall.com/main/boots/Tall/ladies/Victory_Ladies_Field_boots.htm

karens
Apr. 10, 2009, 03:53 PM
the calf looks a bit hinky :no:?

If you have the $250 to spend, why not go for the Ariat Heritage? Or even the Dublin's...they are both in that price range.

horsesrule12_34
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:48 PM
well, i like ariats, but i need custom boots since there are no boots that fit cuz my calf is both short and big.

jmg1329
Apr. 10, 2009, 10:42 PM
Honestly, if you need custom boots, you should put out the money for Vogels. They have so many options and styles and they are priced relatively well for the quality you are getting. My friends have had their Vogels for over 10 years! I am so impressed that I am going to buy a pair myself. Vogel will even put in my orthodics!

Beaulovee
Apr. 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
i also have a big and short calf.. it took me FOREVER to find tall boots because i in no way had enough money for customs.. but the Mountain horse Richmond High Riders work wonderfully, and look really nice too.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ladies-mountain-horse-richmond-high-rider-field-boot/p/X1-38431/cn/1407/

on me, they look like customs, which is amazing since my leg is (at the widest part) as wide as it is tall.

good luck [=

jen-s
Apr. 11, 2009, 07:50 AM
Before you order the Victory boots, do a search for them under Hispar or eHimalayas. There have been multiple threads about these boots with very mixed reviews.

On another note, if you're willing to go outside of the country for boots, there are 2 South American companies that makes custom boots (both have dealers here in the US) that have gotten rave reviews and pricing is competitive with the Tallyho boots. Search for Argentina or Buenas Aires or even look at the posts that I've replied to because I think that I've asked questions about both companies.

Good luck and I can sympathize with needing a larger calf boot. My stopgap solution has been to take my old Ariats that never fit without cutting off circulation and have my local shoe shop (LOVE ManMur in Raleigh, NC!) take out the back seam, put in a wider strip, custom fit them to each of my calves (2 slightly different widths), and put a finishing piece over top of the addition so you can't tell that they've been remade. This ran about $125 but was worth it as my boots had hardly ever been worn. Now I have calf-wise custom boots that I can wear for hours comfortably. It would have been easier and cheaper to put in zippers as they could have just added an elastic gusset all the way down, but I absolutely didn't want zippers after all of the horror stories that I've heard.

faraway46
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:42 AM
Before you order the Victory boots, do a search for them under Hispar or eHimalayas. There have been multiple threads about these boots with very mixed reviews.
On another note, if you're willing to go outside of the country for boots, there are 2 South American companies that makes custom boots (both have dealers here in the US) that have gotten rave reviews and pricing is competitive with the Tallyho boots. Search for Argentina or Buenas Aires or even look at the posts that I've replied to because I think that I've asked questions about both companies.

www.casadelasbotas.com.ar
They have (or had I think) a US dealer, but WAY more expensive if you order there. If you have an argentine contact who introduces you, you can order through their shop at 70% less than US prices. They are $1400 pesos, that at a $3.7 to a dollar ratio, gives you a u$s378 price. Take into account that it costs u$s150 to ship them to US through UPS or FedEx. They have an american account where you can deposit payment so that is easy too.
Also: www.FelipeMagnasco.com.ar
Great boots and cheaper: $1200/ $3.7= u$s325 + $150 for s&h. He has a great side zip (yes, side zip) model which I highly recommend. Fantastic leather and quality. He is a Grand Prix rider so he knows what a rider needs for comfort when on a horse.

Both are not very good with their english, so if you need help with mails or translation. let me know.
Viv

Little Indian
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:51 PM
I'm hoping to order mine in the next two weeks so when I get to Argentina in June they will hopefully be ready :)

jen-s
Apr. 12, 2009, 10:11 PM
I was at the Charlotte Jumper Classic today and someone had boots with the patent leather top. Sigh.... They were so pretty.

SidesaddleRider
Apr. 13, 2009, 06:42 AM
I was at the Charlotte Jumper Classic today and someone had boots with the patent leather top. Sigh.... They were so pretty.

And SO inappropriate... :no:

Ray
Apr. 13, 2009, 07:41 AM
And SO inappropriate... :no:

:confused::confused: ummm, you dont know that. are you saying this because you assume the lady that is competing is "copying" a hunt boot ? I dont find it inconceivable that someone competing in the Classic is a hunt member with colors and would therefore be just fine.

witherbee
Sep. 28, 2009, 04:29 PM
I was thinking of ordering these as well. I just can afford $500+ for the known brand boots, and I'm not sure that these won't need some alterations as well.

Any other experiences with them? They've been veery responsive to emails and phone calls so far, but I know that what happens AFTER the sale is what counts.

I have to have customs as I have edema in my right leg - my left calf is 14" and my right is 20", so no shot at getting off the shelf. I used to buy 2 cheap pair and have them altered - I'd buy a pair of slim and a pair of extra wide and just throw away the opposite shoe. Not fun.

Alterrain
Sep. 28, 2009, 05:51 PM
Honestly, if you HAVE to get customs, (Some do) I would go with the classics, Vogel or Dehner. I still ride every day in a pair of 22!!! year old Vogels (they were my moms!) and they have NEVER been resoled, or patched or anything. only re-dyed a couple times. Meanwhile I show in Parlanti's (keeping in mind I only show 2 horses 2 days a week maybe 10 weeks a year) and I go through EASILY a pair a year :wow: I have heard the same about the other "in" boots, sergio grassos, fabri's etc...

Nothing lasts like the oldies but goodies.

Philosopher
Sep. 28, 2009, 06:46 PM
:confused::confused: ummm, you dont know that. are you saying this because you assume the lady that is competing is "copying" a hunt boot ? I dont find it inconceivable that someone competing in the Classic is a hunt member with colors and would therefore be just fine.

When I was at Showpark a few weeks ago, I saw a lot of ladies wearing boots with patent tops whom I personally know do not have colors. Including juniors. Ick.

Wizard of Oz's
Sep. 28, 2009, 08:39 PM
I was just going to reply to this about how horrible my Tally Ho boots are, when I saw that this thread is pretty old and I already wrote a novel on the subject:lol:

LovesHorses
Sep. 28, 2009, 09:24 PM
Try the Der Dau Contour Field Boot. Search online and I bet you will find somewhere that will sell them to you for $500. The craftmanship and leather is the same at the $1500+ custom ones. You are in luck as they are known to run a little short and make a calf up to XXXL! The ankle isn't meant for a tiny person, so he who has a normal leg and doesn't need a tapered ankle is a great candidate for these boots.

I used to rep for Der Dau. I noticed that out in California that patent leather, exotic leathers and colors are all the rage. Traditional black field boots were most popular on the East Coast. I have patent leather and swarovski crystals, ha.

hype
Sep. 29, 2009, 09:38 AM
One of the girls at our barn got a pair of custom boots from a vendor at HITS Tucson last winter. They were around $800. It maybe one of the vendors from Argentina that were listed above. Amazing boots, quality like the Vogels and they fit her beautifully. Broke in after one ride and have held up very well to a summer of hard showing. They still look brand new. I'd do those in a heartbeat.

You would probably be able to contact HITS to get the vendor's name. They are wonderful boots and have an amazing price to go with them for customs.

chawley
Sep. 29, 2009, 12:33 PM
Another option is the Vogel young junior boot. It's a little less than the traditional Vogel boot. I also second the Der Dau Contour. If you aren't in a rush, sometimes it's worth watching ebay for used customs. Just be sure you know your measurements well before you bid! Good luck.