PDA

View Full Version : He dropped and rolled

ToTheNines
Apr. 10, 2009, 06:17 AM
Four year olds! About two months ago, he was still fuzzy with his winter coat and got sweaty being ridden. I was standing in the middle of a sandy arena, and he could not resist... without any warning whatsoever, his legs buckled and all I had time to do was roll away. Felt like the earth dropped out from under me. I swatted him up and got back on, and the episode was otherwise uneventful.

All fine until the other day, and I knew to be on the lookout for it in the arena. But then he did the same thing, out of a walk in a big grassy field. A friend was riding him, and we ended up laughing, but he is so quick about it! She said she thought he stepped in a hole in the world.

I seem to recall other youngsters with this stunt. But seems like they grew out of it, and it never became a habit. Seems kind of dangerous.

Is this a baby thing? There is really not much you can do as they are dropping! Best to just get out of the way! And the one I have now is FAST -- he got both me and my friend who is an excellent rider. No pawing prelude, no nothing. Guess I won't be doing much standing around on that one for a while.

anchorsaway
Apr. 10, 2009, 08:31 AM
:lol::lol:

my guy only does when I'm out of the saddle :winkgrin:

BelladonnaLily
Apr. 10, 2009, 08:55 AM
Our Welsh gelding went in a show a couple of years ago, in May...still shedding and very very hot and dusty outside. Won his first 2 classes and as my daughter was bringing her second blue over to the fence, he stopped, dropped and rolled! My daughter just stepped off as he went down and looked shocked! It was actually pretty funny...poor guy had been through 5 classes that morning and was itchy! Needless to say, the judge evidently wasn't as impressed, as he didn't place in his third class! :lol: Still got the trophy, though! ;)

eqrider1234
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:05 AM
my friends pony started doing this, it is a really dangerous habit, she too was fast and we would know it was coming eventually since she did it just about every day, they tried a bunch, having the trainer get on it, had the kid make the pony think death was coming for it as it was about to go down, pony didnt care, they ended up giving the pony away as it was too dangerous for the kid to ride it and too dangerous to sell it.

Equino
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:18 AM
When my mare was a 5 year old, she tried it a few times that summer, when the bugs were really bothering her. She would get cranky and if I stood still, she would try to go down. She never actually rolled, but the 1st time, she got all the way down before I kicked her back up. After that, I carried a crop to be prepared and after a few tries, being smacked w/the stick and kicked up, she never tried again.

LShipley
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:24 AM
My mare is 10 - 12, and she did this last year to me once in the Spring, when she was starting to shed out, and got sweaty. After she had dropped to her knees, I hopped off, and then she rolled (luckily didn't break the saddle!).

She has not tried it again until about a month ago - shedding out again - but she does tend to do it in slow motion. She'll paw the ground, the knees buckle, then buckle a little more - and I just kicked and kicked - and she never actually dropped to the ground - she just straightened up and sighed. She tried it twice this Spring, but I don't think of it as a regular occurrence.

So, I guess it is not just a baby thing, but it does sound like most people experience thing during Spring shedding?

midkniggit
Apr. 10, 2009, 10:34 AM
A friend's horse would do the same whenever he encountered water, even if it were just a large puddle on the trail. No warning, just down.

Thomas_1
Apr. 10, 2009, 10:39 AM
I've a welsh section D here that can be a bit of a pain for taking the opportunity of rolling on soft ground. He was much worse when he first came here and I well remember being asked by one of the girls to see if I could do any better than they were. I took him out a few times and announced that "he was no bother at all and was probably trying it on with them and keep him moving forward".

Next day I decided to take him hunting and he decided to roll down in the middle of a bog on the moorland!! Because he'd slowed down to pick his way through the bog I hadn't realised he was plotting a roll! He sort of went "plodge" into the bog and sank a little and then just rolled on his side as I stepped off! What a mess!! Horse, saddle and me! I was up to my knees in bog!

merrygoround
Apr. 10, 2009, 10:52 AM
I've a welsh section D here that can be a bit of a pain for taking the opportunity of rolling on soft ground. He was much worse when he first came here and I well remember being asked by one of the girls to see if I could do any better than they were. I took him out a few times and announced that "he was no bother at all and was probably trying it on with them and keep him moving forward".

Next day I decided to take him hunting and he decided to roll down in the middle of a bog on the moorland!! Because he'd slowed down to pick his way through the bog I hadn't realised he was plotting a roll! He sort of went "plodge" into the bog and sank a little and then just rolled on his side as I stepped off! What a mess!! Horse, saddle and me! I was up to my knees in bog!

:D :D :D

Foxtrot's
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:38 PM
Can be a nasty habit -- mine did that on a hunt - her coat was itchy under the saddle and down she went while my stick was still in the air to whack her. Did not bail off quite as fast as I should have and broke three ribs. Did two more runs though, and suffered later. By then I couldn't untack or drive either.

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 10, 2009, 06:06 PM
invest in a slick n easy, a curry comb and a bunch of elbow grease ;)

Callison
Apr. 11, 2009, 12:01 AM
My baby horse did this also. It was last year right after I got him. He had gotten sweaty and I guess what itchy and without notice just dropped down. I didn't even know what was going on but all of a sudden my feet were on the ground. I just stepped over him and he hopped up. I yelled at him and his face was priceless. He didn't know he wasn't suppose to do that! Luckily he hasn't done it since but we were heading to a show that weekend, I was so scared he'd do it during the lineup for the hack class!