PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite equine magazines?

Twix04
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:49 AM
Other than COTH, what other equine magazines do you enjoy reading or have subcriptions to? I need something interesting and horse-related to read! Thanks!

HorsRdr477
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:21 AM
Practical Horseman

luvs2ridewbs
Apr. 10, 2009, 12:59 PM
Equestrian from USEF is ok. More about news then anything else. Although the suspension list is always a good time ;-)

Tilly
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:00 PM
Practical Horseman. Mum was getting Dressage Today, but she's going to cancel that. I'm jealous of those of you have a subscription to CoTH, I want one!

Small Spark
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
Horse Sport and L'Eperon

Valeureux
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
Pratical Horseman, Equus, and Chronicle :)

Angel Undercover
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:23 PM
Practical Horseman and Horse & Hound.

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:57 PM
Besides COTH, I love Practical Horseman, especially the George Morris critiquey thing.*

Pirateer
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:05 PM
I don't have a favorite besides COTH.

I read Equus, PH, and Dressage today (oh wait, same articles in all of them...) but I hate how they have been turned into clones of each other. Clones that are not very interesting OR enlightening.

The USEF suspension list is a good read though, probably the only thing I look at in the USEF mag.

USHJA In Stride isn't bad either.

toxicity
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:21 PM
Practical Horseman and Equus

Whimsically Smart
Apr. 10, 2009, 03:55 PM
If you can find someone that has OLD PH magazines (or any magazine for that matter) I would read those before anything new, much more informative!

Mardi
Apr. 11, 2009, 01:23 AM
Horse International.

MintHillFarm
Apr. 11, 2009, 06:06 AM
Blood Horse, Thoroughbred Times (Both are weeklies for racing)
Chronicle and Practical Horseman
Equestrian (starting with the suspensions, so I read that one back to front)

VirginiaBred
Apr. 11, 2009, 07:28 AM
I read lots of them but (obviously) The Chronicle of the Horse & Practical Horseman.

ProzacPuppy
Apr. 11, 2009, 07:43 AM
I've always liked The Horse. Alot of medical info but written for the average person.

Anyone get Hunter & Sport Horse (I think that's the name)?

MintHillFarm
Apr. 11, 2009, 11:13 AM
Practical Horseman and Horse & Hound.

Horse and Hound is very well done. My British born boss gets it here in the states and usually passes it on to me.
I agree with another poster who says "The Chronicle" sets the standard, it does for sure. I have been reading it for about 40 yrs.

anchorsaway
Apr. 11, 2009, 12:33 PM
Seeing as trainer receives both COTH and Horse and Hound, I'm set on those :lol:

I like Dressage Today..but found it more enjoyable when Lisa Wilcox did the eq. and horse critique

superpony123
Apr. 11, 2009, 02:08 PM
i really enjoy equestrian, mostly because i like that it gives all the horse show news :p as for actual material and stuff, i like practical horsemen.

cranky
Apr. 11, 2009, 02:17 PM
I get Practical Horseman and wanted Horse & Hound, but the subscription is very expensive in the US.

Is the COTH subscription an actual mailed magazine, or an online subscription? I might consider that (although, I already get a ridiculous number of magazines that I never seem to have time to read).

IsolaBella09
Apr. 11, 2009, 02:56 PM
Practical Horseman, Equestrian, In Stride, the occasional Equus, and Stable Management. I like to read. :lol:

lauraware
Apr. 11, 2009, 05:46 PM
Practical Horseman--but I'm prejudiced since my kid is on the April cover! (shameless brag)

That said, their online coverage is also great, too--as is the entire Equisearch site. Nancy Jaffer's real-time columns are terrific and their writers are knowledgeable and, gasp, practical! The day by day coverage they provided of the George Morris Horsemastership Clinic was terrific, both in terms of writing and photos. For those who couldn't be there, it was a good distillation (although no substitute for attending)

hahaha i saw that pracitical horseman at the barn today. it was a great issue, and i like flipped when i saw that sophie was on the cover!! that's awesome!

Anyhow, I love COTH, of course. Especially the Junior and Pony issue, but I suppose I am going to have to start loving the Ammy Issue now. Practical Horseman is also good, but some of the issues don't focus enough on hunters/jumpers for my taste (I'm greedy!). I also really like the USHJA In stride magazine; do any of you know if it gets put online? I'm not a USEF magazine fan, it doesn't have a "personal" enough feel for my taste.

For local publications, I like equestrisol (it's not a magazine, just a bi-weekly newsletter, but it has good articles) and showbiz (love the granddaughter chronicles!).

BOA1991
Apr. 11, 2009, 11:32 PM
COTH is my favourite! and then Practical Horseman

Aliascml
Apr. 11, 2009, 11:40 PM
I love reading my Practical Horseman magazines. :)

Callison
Apr. 12, 2009, 12:01 AM
I've always liked The Horse. Alot of medical info but written for the average person.

Anyone get Hunter & Sport Horse (I think that's the name)?

Hunter and Sport Horse went out of business

Dapple Dawn Farm
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:47 AM
Practical Horseman and Equus...they're like the horseperson's version of Cosmo and Glamor magazines :lol:

tom
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:14 AM
For me (and NOT because I write a monthly column on breeding for it) the best is Horse International, published in the Netherlands but in English. The subscription cost outside of the European Union is euro 105 but if join the Warmblood Studbook of Ireland for euro 50 you get an annual subscription for free.
Tom
www.irish-warmblood.com (http://www.irish-warmblood.com)

kaazs
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:01 AM
I don't have any subscriptions, but my favorite is Practical Horsemen!
I also like reading Horse and Rider :)

chukkerchild
Apr. 12, 2009, 01:55 PM
Practical Horseman, Gaitpost, and Horse Sport (but the amount of editing errors and grammatical mistakes in Horse Sport is TRULY appalling. Things like missing the first three letters of a word and having it replaced with '4*j' or something, incredibly clumsy sentences, repeated captions on different photos... it's a shame because the magazine has awesome photographs, interesting articles and great Canadian coverage!)

Moderator 1
Apr. 13, 2009, 01:56 PM
I get Practical Horseman and wanted Horse & Hound, but the subscription is very expensive in the US.

Is the COTH subscription an actual mailed magazine, or an online subscription? I might consider that (although, I already get a ridiculous number of magazines that I never seem to have time to read).

The Chronicle is a weekly, mailed print magazine--included in the print subscription is online access to the magazine content. Here's a 2-minute video (http://www.chronofhorse.com/COH_Slideshow.html) explaining a bit more about the magazine, and here's the subscription form (http://www.chronofhorse.com/index.php?cat=122912061855682&pcode=TDIG08) if you're interested in receiving it.

Thanks!
Mod 1

pattnic
Apr. 13, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hunter and Sport Horse went out of business

Sad :( I liked that one.

I used to really like Practical Horseman, but the quality has really gone downhill.

The only one I like anymore is Horse Journal, and even that's not as good as it once was.