PDA

View Full Version : Schooling show prizes...

grandprixjump
Apr. 10, 2009, 12:08 AM
I'm working on having a schooling show at our farm in about a month, and had what I thought might be a brainstorm..
I'm thinking about giving T-shirts in place of ribbons, blue for first, red for second, etc. With the stable logo on back, and a jumping horse on the front with 1st place, maybe May Madness, or whatever we decide to call the show.
My thinking is ribbons are getting pretty expensive and get thrown in the bottom of a trunk, back of the car, and forgotten. I'm hoping these would be worn and attract people to come to our next shows. I would make the shirts as needed there, have it ready, but able to make a kids, or adults shirt instead of not having the size desired.

Would you guys be happy receiving these in the place of ribbons?

Aliascml
Apr. 10, 2009, 12:31 AM
At the last schooling show, that my barn held, they gave out ribbongs and Grand Champion recieved a handmade tack box. I personally enjoy receiving ribbons and hang them on my wall. :)

Wonders12
Apr. 10, 2009, 12:52 AM
I thought this was a really good idea, but upon closer inspection I'm not sure how well this would work. How do you plan on making them on the spot? Are you using "puffy paint" or something more professional? If they don't look nice, people won't wear them. Also, you're probably going to have to buy a lot of shirts. You'll need a lot of different sizes in a lot of different colors. I think the costs will really add up.

What about something more generic --> Hats, grooming bags, picture frames, etc. Stuff that can be made ahead of time and handed out regardless of age, size, and gender.

grandprixjump
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:03 AM
I thought this was a really good idea, but upon closer inspection I'm not sure how well this would work. How do you plan on making them on the spot? Are you using "puffy paint" or something more professional? If they don't look nice, people won't wear them. Also, you're probably going to have to buy a lot of shirts. You'll need a lot of different sizes in a lot of different colors. I think the costs will really add up.

What about something more generic --> Hats, grooming bags, picture frames, etc. Stuff that can be made ahead of time and handed out regardless of age, size, and gender.

My business prior to taking over this stable was signs and graphics, which I still do, part time, I was planning on high quality Cad cut vinyl heat transfers, premade, so I would just have to heat press them to the appropriate shirts, this stuff has been tested to 80 or better washes, and I have personally seen shirts I made (for a landscaper), that the shirt was extremely rough, but the graphics looked great still. with the colors of the shirts, all the printing could be black, and takes 20 seconds front and 20 seconds back to apply...

toxicity
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:51 AM
How about t-shirts for champion and reserve? That sounds waaay too expensive to give out one for each placing.

Ray
Apr. 10, 2009, 07:24 AM
How about t-shirts for champion and reserve? That sounds waaay too expensive to give out one for each placing.

agreed. would be nice also for 1st place.

we got custom blue M&M's at a show recently "first place" on one side, and farm name on the other. CUTE!!!

one of my employee's still has her mug with my current barn's logo, 15 years after winning it :)

BelladonnaLily
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:52 AM
I think doing paper ribbons (construction paper, etc., hand-made) with money attached (maybe $10 1st through $1 6th...or whatever your turnout deems appropriate so you still make money) may actually draw people in. You save money on your ribbons, and people feel like they have a chance to earn back their lunch money, enough for a class, etc. We have a local series that does give real ribbons, but also gives out money for champion and reserve of each division. We love it!

allpurpose
Apr. 10, 2009, 10:02 AM

we got custom blue M&M's at a show recently "first place" on one side, and farm name on the other. CUTE!!!

one of my employee's still has her mug with my current barn's logo, 15 years after winning it :)

I love the M & M idea, and the mug idea is a great one too! How does one get custom M & M's ordered?

Hunter Mom
Apr. 10, 2009, 10:17 AM
I got a division prize that was a canister that they had personalized with the show name and filled with horse treats and candy. I think they'd gotten them at Dollar General or somewhere like that, but they were really cute metal canisters.

Jo
Apr. 10, 2009, 10:23 AM
Confused - so every class you place in, you'd get a T-shirt? I think I'd be fine with ONE tee shirt, but if I had an awesome day and won, say, three blue T-shirts, I'd be a little annoyed. I also love getting ribbons though. :)

I do like the idea for champ and reserve though!

katie16
Apr. 10, 2009, 11:13 AM

A little off topic, but the custom M&ms caught my attention.

I did custom M&Ms in our barn colors a couple years ago as a treat for our camp kids. I really liked them, but kids didn't seem to care that they were personalized (with our farm name and logo and colors)! They just gobbled down the candy! I was hoping that they would at least wait and let the parents see!

While I thought they were great, the kids had no appreciation for them. I am hesitant to do them again as they were pretty expensive. If I did it would definitely be for an older crowd!

Hunter DQ
Apr. 10, 2009, 11:54 AM
I personally love my ribbons, especially when they're unique (basically different from the standard Hodges and Badges simple rosette) but I have millions of the everywhere! So I wouldn't mind occasionally winning something different. Tshirts do sound difficult to pull off due to sizing issues and cost. In TN, the local quarter horse association decided to print plastic drinking cups with their logo and 1st-6th place. If you won the class, you got a blue cup. One of my good friends shows TQHA, and has bunches of cups, but she finds all kinds of uses for them. So they're kinda handy, and they stack better than ribbons.

AppendixQHLover
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:15 PM
What we did for a schooling show series was give cheap ribbons and cute prizes.

We had a bag of carrots for first place. 2nd place was red apples. 3rd place was a pear. 4th place was sugar cubes. 5th place was peppermints and 6th place was green apples.

The kids got a bag of dollar store prizes. Coloring books, stickers and so on.

The ribbons we got just had the placing, and that was it. Those ribbons were a big deal to the kids.

The older kids got chocolate. :D

Kementari
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:03 PM
You can get ribbons - rosettes, that is - for less than $2.50 apeice. I can't imagine you could get t-shirts and transfers for anywhere close to that. :confused:

If you want to go really cheap, you can do flat ribbons, that are less than $1 each.

Speaking as someone who has run and helped run many schooling shows, the quality of the prizes - whether ribbons or trophies or practical gifts - matters. We say we aren't in it for the prize, but it sure can make a difference between going to Show A and Show B, if all else is essentially equal. One small series I helped with gave trophies to first place in every class, and many people told me that the reason they chose our series over other similar ones was because of the trophies!

T-shirts make great advertising, but I'm imagining going home with an armload of rainbow shirts, and thinking I'd be wishing I had something I could actually display or use (ONE t-shirt might be useful, if it's nice - three, not so much!). Ribbons can also be great advertising, though, if you get decent ones and put your show/farm name on them (and don't put the date, so you can reuse them!). The majority of people I know display their ribbons in some way, at least for the short term. Sure, SOME end up at the bottom of tack trunks, but so do some of whatever prize you hand out.

If you make the ribbons unique in some way, they are even more likely to end up on display. For one show, for example, we used the deeper shades of each colour, so the blue was navy, the red maroon, the yellow mustard, the white cream, the pink rose and the green a deep hunter. It cost exactly the same as the traditional colors, and people LOVED them. I bet very few of those ribbons ended up at the bottom of a trunk or on the floor of a truck!

kmsf
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:07 PM
I think especially for a schooling show that ribbons are great- many times those are the first ribbons the riders have won and so have special signifigance. It's fun for them and the parents to take a picture of the horse or pony with its ribbons. Our barn also gave a prize to first place along with the ribbon- small Breyer models, stuffed animals, or t-shirts to the kids. I loved all the other ideas too!

Hunter Mom
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:28 PM
I agree that, for a show where you're going to have a lot of "new to showing" kids, the ribbon is HUGE. Hodges does nice flat ones for around 50 cents each. I do fun shows at my barn, and those little bitty ribbons are like gold to the kids. I figure we charge $5 per class for entries, so 50 cents is a small cost.

Angel Undercover
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:29 PM
Customized M&Ms: http://www.mymms.com/

Got these made for a friend once, they're awesome!

Personally, I really like ribbons and would be disappointed if I didn't get any. You could always get them made without dates and that way people could give them back if they didn't want them. A lot of shows do that around me, and often they have a buyback (usually 50 cents or so).

mvp
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:36 PM
I like ribbons especially big Vegas ones for Champion and Reserve. I put these-- my horse's resume-- up on my wall. I use them as a shrine to my horse my non-horsey friends who will visit my house but never the barn get an eye-full.

Love the shirts for Champion and Reserve

Otherwise, I like "useful"-- a lead rope, bar of glycerine, whatever. My horse won a box fan at a show one time and he dug it. No reason for him not to have air conditioning at a small show just like the big dogs at a rated show. He just had to go win his own. Made him feel like a Man... a Cool Man.

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:52 PM
The shirts are a good idea, but at our last in barn schooling show, they gave out ribbons and saddle pads for champions. And who doesn't love a saddle pad that says "so-and-so-show champion"?

Parker_Rider
Apr. 10, 2009, 03:05 PM
Oh, I hope you don't get rid of the ribbons!! All of mine (well, there's a missing box somewhere that breaks my heart..) are hanging in my parent's guest room, to remind visitors that while my brother might be an awesome ultra-marathoner, I'm a successful athlete too ;) (sibling rivalry is wonderful... even more so when you have tangible things to "prove" yourself)
My ribbons from schooling shows at college hung over my apt window, and my current BF saw me in my riding gear, saw the ribbons in the window and concluded that a)that was my apt/my room and b) I was a good rider/athlete and should definitely be pursued (good thing he could only see the shadows, and not the color of the ribbons... white, pink and green, maybe a red, maybe... :lol: not like he would have known anyway) We've been together for coming up on 2 years, now. It's a really cute story if you overlook the slightly creepy/stalkerish aspects of it, hahaha. Point being... ribbons are super important to kids, and 23 y/os alike!! :)

On another note, I love the prizes being discussed here... please inform the management for CO shows, so we don't get lovely silver boxes with internet ether cords in them again (oh yes, I'm serious...) or soap sets. Guess they were trying to tell us something that year... :lol:

Hunter Mom
Apr. 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
Personally, I really like ribbons and would be disappointed if I didn't get any. You could always get them made without dates and that way people could give them back if they didn't want them. A lot of shows do that around me, and often they have a buyback (usually 50 cents or so).

Yes, this is a must. Also, tell whomever is handing them out not to write on the actual ribbon. We either keep track on a showbill or write the number above it on the cardboard if we're using rosettes. Then, if you don't use them at that show, you can reuse them.

Pirateer
Apr. 10, 2009, 03:16 PM
I like the shirt idea (and it probably is cheaper than nice ribbons).

Maybe saddle pad for champions,
T shirt for 1st place.

At a horsemanship event I was in charge of, I got colored candy and gave them away. The kids LOVED it.

1st. Anything in a blue wrapper (King Sized Crunch Bars?)
2nd. Red Wrapper (Hot Tamales, Kit Kat's, Red Vines)
3rd. Yellow (Mr Goodbar....others)

At about $1/each, they were good deals on the Movie Theatre sized versions.

Quin
Apr. 10, 2009, 10:25 PM
Ribbons. I'd be very disappointed not to come home with any ribbons (Ok. I HAVE come home without any ribbons. I mean not coming home with ribbons when I'd actually PLACED). Gifts can be limited to first place, or division champions. Shirts sound fine, or pretty much anything you can put the farm logo on: saddle pads, mugs, etc.

One show I go to keeps a big basket 'o goodies in the office. You get to go pick out a goodie for each blue ribbon. Huge assortment of cheap goodies in the basket: sparkly stickers and toys for the little kids, small trial sizes of horse/leather care products, candy, horse treats, hoof picks, mane combs.......probably nothing much over $1. Fun to dig through the basket and see what's there because it always changes at every show. Easy for the BO to keep grabbing whatever's on sale to restock the basket.