PDA

View Full Version : Try anyways: Not meeting an advertisement requirement (namely, drivers license)

Beau Cheval
Apr. 9, 2009, 10:12 PM
If been looking on yard and groom, and I found some that have the requirement of a driver's license. Is it worth sending them a letter anyways?
thanks!

Aubreyyy
Apr. 9, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'd just get the drivers license? Not that hard.

WorthTheWait95
Apr. 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm assuming you're too young to have one....otherwise I second Aubreyyy.

I doubt you'll get much in the way of a response without one. They most likely want a drivers license to ensure you can provide your own transport or drive a truck/trailer if the need arises (or can at least drive one legally even if they need to actually teach you how), etc. Plus it's a good way to screen out younger kids...16 is still young but at least they can be somewhat autonomous if they can get themselves where they need to be.

SpicyMonarch
Apr. 9, 2009, 11:41 PM
If they specifically ask for someone with a driver's license, I wouldn't even bother responding. Like the above posters said, the person posting the ad probably wants to make sure that the person they hire will be able to drive a truck and trailer, even if they have to teach them how.

kookicat
Apr. 10, 2009, 08:16 AM
I'm gonna be the odd one out. I would still apply, note that while you haven't got a driver's licence you are (willing to) working towards on. Worth a try.

Lucassb
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:11 AM
If been looking on yard and groom, and I found some that have the requirement of a driver's license. Is it worth sending them a letter anyways?
thanks!

You can certainly apply, noting you will have a license in (whatever time frame is appropriate.) Just do it without too much in the way of expectations.

Most who want you to be able to drive a truck/trailer will be looking for a CDL so I would guess that the ones who simply specify the ability to drive want you to be able to run errands if needed (go to the feed store/tack store/deli for lunch etc.)

Beau Cheval
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:37 AM
In my lovely county/city (it is different in pretty much everywhere else in the state, gotta love NY) you have to be 18 to actually get a license. I am old enough to have my license in a lot of other states (at my age I could have my license if I lived in SC) so it is an age thing not a "wow you're dumb and can't remember to check the mirror before you switch lanes" kind of thing.
Also, I know how to drive a tractor (my family has a farm...no horses though unfortunately) but legally could an employer make me do that? (I'm 15)
thanks!

Thomas_1
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:45 AM
If you've got everything else they've asked for in abundance you're planning on getting your licence soon then you might want to phone them up and let them know and ask how critical that bit is.

If they've specifically mentioned it on the advert then you ought to assume that it's an essential criteria though.

katie16
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:55 AM
I would suggest calling them and inquiring about the license issue. You might find out that they want you to have it simply to be able to get yourself reliably to/from work each day. If you have someone who can reliably give you transportaion and would be willing to contact them to tell them so, that might be agreeable to them. However, if they are looking for someone to be able to drive one of their vehicles, even if it's not a trailer but simply a farm truck down to the local feed or hardware store, you will obviously be out of luck.

I don't think it would hurt to inquire.

However, as I do not know what the ad says or what exactly the position is for, I have to wonder if you would otherwise be capable of the working requirements. If you are too young to have a drivers license, aren't you in school? Or are they only looking for weekend help? If the drivers license is the ONLY impedament, I would call and ask the quick and easy question. But, if there are also likely to be "other" issues, I would look elsewhere.

Aubreyyy
Apr. 10, 2009, 11:12 AM
16 is the age to drive in most places. South Carolina is a crazy anomoly- I used to live in NC but had a lot of family in SC. So don't go by "Well, I could drive in SC, but nowhere else" unless you're taking a job in SC. (I thought it was insane that they let kids drive so young! I got mine when I was 17, NC makes you drive with your parents for a year.)

Honestly, I wouldn't waste their time. It would annoy me as a prospective employer to put a requirement like that up, only to have someone apply that not only didn't fufill it, but couldn't due to something like age, which isn't really something you can change.

In the Air
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:59 PM
In SC you can get your permit but not your license at 15. 16 to get the real deal and they do have restrictions on it after you first get it.

Pirateer
Apr. 10, 2009, 02:02 PM
The reason most places ask if you have a license and car is because they want to make sure you can show up.

And show up reliably, on time, without mommy to bring you every day.

make x it x so
Apr. 10, 2009, 03:00 PM
You can have a license at 17 in NY if you take driver's education, unless they changed it in the past year since I got mine.

Mav226
Apr. 10, 2009, 04:45 PM
It is possible that the job duties require driving to the feed/tack store, etc. They probably require a DL b/c they've run into problems with people not having one.

You said your family has a working farm. Don't they have a farmer's license in NY? I know NJ has one...

ThatScaryChick
Apr. 10, 2009, 06:27 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't waste their time. It would annoy me as a prospective employer to put a requirement like that up, only to have someone apply that not only didn't fufill it, but couldn't do to something like age, which isn't really something you can change.

I agree. I am sure that they put that information in the ad for reason. Of course it can't hurt to ask, but I am sure they have their reasons for wanting someone who has their driver license.

supershorty628
Apr. 10, 2009, 06:31 PM
You can have a license at 17 in NY if you take driver's education, unless they changed it in the past year since I got mine.

I think there are different rules for NYC though. I know I can't drive in the city until I'm 18, even though I have a senior license. Maybe the OP lives in one of the city's counties...?

Storybook
Apr. 11, 2009, 01:33 PM
I've found that in many ads with this wording, the driver's license requirement is a way to "verify" an applicant's age without having to ask "what's your age", which interviewers can't ask (due to age discrimination). For many states, employees have to be 16 to work without restrictions, otherwise those 15 and under often have to get a work permit, and are restricted from working certain number of hours, etc. It's subtle, but its there. My workplace does it this way (won't hire employees under 15, so we don't have to worry about work permits.)

Also, it could be as other posters have mentioned, they might need you to run errands for them that require driving, as part of the position. Several factors, really, but the work permit issue may be a big one.

I'd ask the employer to see if a DL is "requirement", as opposed to "recommended" or "encouraged". Never hurts to ask!

Good luck with your job search!