PDA

View Full Version : COLOR OF SADDLE AND BRIDLE - NEED TO MATCH? OPINIONS PLEASE

MintHillFarm
Apr. 9, 2009, 01:14 PM
I have a newer Butet which is fairly light in color. My padded bridle, also new is darker brown, a very nice rich color. I never really thought about it before, but what is the opinion these days on the colors of the leather? Need to match or not? Thanks!

eqrider1234
Apr. 9, 2009, 01:24 PM
If you oil the butet in neatsfoot it will darken, im not sure what brand your bridle is but the butet will darken enough to match the edgewood color bridles, again the oiled edgewood.

billiebob
Apr. 9, 2009, 01:30 PM
I like all my tack to match (perfectly if I can manage it--I brought my billet guard into the store with me the last time I bought stirrup leathers) but I might just be super OCD about this. I agree with oiling the saddle if you want them to be closer in color.

BAC
Apr. 9, 2009, 01:37 PM
The saddle will darken with time, my friend had Beval oil her new Butet so that it was fairly dark right from the start. I wouldn't over oil it just to get it to match right away though. With use, cleaning and conditioning plus the initial oiling, the saddle will continue to darken, I wouldn't obsess about getting them the exact shade.

lauriep
Apr. 9, 2009, 07:19 PM
No, they do not need to match. Where did that ever start???

Pirateer
Apr. 9, 2009, 07:23 PM
I have a newer Butet which is fairly light in color. My padded bridle, also new is darker brown, a very nice rich color. I never really thought about it before, but what is the opinion these days on the colors of the leather? Need to match or not? Thanks!

They don't need to match perfectly, but should be close. Light- Light, Oakbark=Oakbark, Dark=dark.

MintHillFarm
Apr. 9, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks all, I appreciate your responses.

Spud&Saf
Apr. 9, 2009, 08:34 PM
Disagree that other tack has to match saddle, but bridle, martingale, and girth should match one another.

Pirateer
Apr. 9, 2009, 08:37 PM
Disagree that other tack has to match saddle, but bridle, martingale, and girth should match one another.

And girth needs to match saddle.

CraziiPonii
Apr. 9, 2009, 10:26 PM
I think that the girth, saddle, bridle and martingale should all match. But I have serious OCD so I'm probably no help.

gottagrey
Apr. 9, 2009, 10:52 PM
Funny thing - when I got my new saddle - all the same color but when I oiled it the seat and knee pads became darker than the rest of the saddle - so I had a two tone - didn't bother me. Got a new leather girth - it was all the same color leather - oiled it - it too became two toned - humph! Bridle matched the darker part of the saddle and girth. No worries. Horse ate reins got a new set - you guessed it - when I oiled them reins also became two-toned. So I had an entir matched set of two toned tack that matched perfectly - what are the odds of that:lol::lol:

Aliascml
Apr. 9, 2009, 11:36 PM
I like when the tack color matches or is pretty close, like what Pirateer said.

mortebella
Apr. 10, 2009, 09:31 PM
Me, too, definitely. And I don't think it's OCD. That would be having to buy a new saddle pad for every show or something. :D

Midge
Apr. 11, 2009, 07:01 AM
No, they do not need to match. Where did that ever start???

I think right here, Laurie. I never heard of it either, until I read it here.

mortebella
Apr. 11, 2009, 12:10 PM
I think it's refreshing to know many folks don't mind! As long as it's clean, well cared for and fits the horse, that should be all that matters. I may need to re-think. There's a thin line between OCD and esthetics, in every area of life :D