PDA

View Full Version : crosby saddles?

zakattack
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:30 PM
yay or nay (neigh?), and why?

Mach Two
Apr. 8, 2009, 11:15 PM
Depends on the model, the age, the condition, if used, and the fit for the horse and rider....so, for starters, which model, and for what discipline?

HorsRdr477
Apr. 9, 2009, 03:30 AM
The older ones, if in good condition are classic! The new ones however, I heard are pretty crappy.

Across Sicily
Apr. 9, 2009, 05:16 AM
YAY!!! to the older ones. I have an ancient PDN and I LOVE it. I would be lost without it!

ImJumpin
Apr. 9, 2009, 07:38 AM
I think the Centennial is the only one you can find "new" anymore and I know a few folks with this saddle and the quality of it is more than fine. The old ones were top of the line back in the day and well made saddles-- as long as you can find one that was well cared for, I would not hesitate to buy a 20 year plus Crosby.

cloudyandcallie
Apr. 9, 2009, 07:46 AM
I have two old Crosbys and they are great. I bought them used and they were in great condition then and have not needed any repairs in many years. They are comfortable for me and for the horses. Don't know about the quality of any newer ones though.

sisu27
Apr. 9, 2009, 08:53 AM
I have an old Crosby that I love dearly but sadly it does not fit my thbd. I would love to ride in it again. Don't know about the newer ones. I will say I have offered it up for others to try and anyone who is used to the newer saddles that ride more like couches has not liked it....too flat, no knee rolls...

For the Horse
Apr. 9, 2009, 10:10 AM
YAY old Crosbys! I have a 13 year old Crosby XL close contact saddle that I adore but have finally admitted defeat in the fact that I have out grown it. My Mom recently (2 or 3 years ago) bought a new Crosby SoftRide. GREAT saddle, she loves it and it has really helped improve her position. You can still buy these new (I know Dover caries them) and the quality is decent. I think Crosby went through a rough patch in the late 1990s into the 2000s when everything was being bought and sold. It use to be an English company and it was all good english leather, I believe that it may be Argentinian now. (I could be very wrong, but I think I recal hearing this.)

mvp
Apr. 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
Crosby saddles vary in quality and design. In general, however, they tend to be more narrow in both the tree and gullet than brands born more recently.

If you buy remotely, absolutely ask for pictures of the underside of the saddle and a measurement between the points of the panels in front or tree.

CRTXLaw
Apr. 9, 2009, 12:21 PM
I had an old Crosby PDN that I had forever. It was still in great condition when I sold it. It was classic and beautiful and never had to have any repairs. Close contact is not favored right now though (in fact I dont know anyone that rides in a cc saddle), and once I started jumpers and doing larger fences I wanted the greater security of blocks and a deeper seat. I think the fact that I rode in close contact for so long growing up though has given me a secure leg and greater feeling for my horse that has stayed with me even after taking a break from riding for several years.

anyway, I would say that the old ones were made very well. I dont know a single thing about the new ones.

jumpsnake
Apr. 9, 2009, 12:25 PM
I have a 20 or so year old Crosby eventing saddle (NOT a mp, made for xc) that I really like but have outgrown. It has held up well and is still in good shape. I've used it on a very wide variety of horses and it fits most ok- the gullet is pretty high and the panels seem to be rather forgiving- on the very wide horses it is a bit narrow.

*Teddy*
Apr. 9, 2009, 12:29 PM
i have a older crosby made in england(dont know the model as most of the stamp is faded and not readable)i must have a wide tree version because mine i would say is compareable to todays med or med/wide trees

i love it! the seat is a bit big but i love how the flaps fit me.. im so short usually my stirrups barely go past the end of the flap and my knees end up over the knee padding/rolls but it fits me nice!

billiebob
Apr. 9, 2009, 12:33 PM
I have an old (15-20 years old) Soft Ride that I love and refuse to sell even though it totally doesn't fit my guy. The leather is great, everything's in pretty good condition except for one D ring that got torn off (thanks crazy project horse). I've ridden in a fair amount of oldies and some newer ones, and the older ones feel so much better to me. The balance on the new ones just doesn't feel right. But they do seem like very nice saddles otherwise.

chawley
Apr. 9, 2009, 12:56 PM
It seems like you can always find someone that will say 'such and such a brand of saddle' is crap or they love it. (See Pessoa threads). I know several people in the barn that have newer Crosbys and they really like them. The quality has been fine too. The old ones are classic. My trainer still rides in a PDN to this day! Little too flat and hard for me! :)

Anyway, I recommend taking one on trial to see if it fits you and your horse. Keep us posted if you do!

superpony123
Apr. 9, 2009, 02:50 PM
I highly recommend the older models, as im sure someone has said already. The new ones are like cardboard. But we have one or two old ones as schoolie saddles in my barn, and they are really nice saddles.

IsolaBella09
Apr. 9, 2009, 02:56 PM
My first saddle was an old flat as a pancake Crosby. I loved that thing to death. Great balance, support, and ride. The leather was really nice as well. If you can find a nice one used, they are always better than the new models.

My2cents
Apr. 9, 2009, 03:01 PM
Add me on to the list of Crosby saddle owners. Nevermind the fact that it hasn't been on a horse in oh, about 7 years. I just can't sell it, it was sooooooooo comfortable but it doesn't fit my big boy. My Bates Caprilli is about as close as I could come to matching the comfort level of my Crosby Sofride.

EAY
Apr. 9, 2009, 06:34 PM
I'm another one who can't part with her old Crosby. Mine's a 1980 PDN and it's still in great shape, even after having been stuck in a closet for a number of years. I've got to admit, though, that I recently passed it down to my son and got myself a cushy French couch saddle, but I'm hoping that the great balance and close contact that you get from the old Crosbys will help him to develop a good seat and feel for his horse.

Pirateer
Apr. 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
I have an ancient PDN and I love it. Its my favorite saddle to do babies in because you can feel ANYTHING they are thinking about doing...

That said, I haven't sat in it in a year b/c I have been riding in a cushy jumper saddle. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little bit afraid.

BeastieSlave
Apr. 9, 2009, 09:16 PM
I LOVE older Crosbys! My #1 daughter has a 'younger' Centennial (2000 model i think) and it had a rough life before we got it, but it's still very nice. She briefly had a new Centennial that was an '03 model and it had orange leather that seemed painted. I didn't love it....

Parker_Rider
Apr. 9, 2009, 09:22 PM
You can't beat the older ones.. my first saddle was a Crosby that we bought about 13 years ago and by that point it was already 5 or 6 years old. adored that saddle, I was so sad when I outgrew it!!
Personally, wouldn't buy one of the newer models... If you can buy an old one, that's the route you should go; they hold up incredibly well if they've been well taken care of.

jaslyn1701
Apr. 10, 2009, 04:09 AM
I bought an old "new" Crosby PDN last year - had just been in my local shop for over ten years and nobody bought it. No knee rolls, no thigh blocks - it loved me on first sitting. Since I don't own my own horse, it was a good choice as my trainer has one and has put it on everything in the barn from pony to the 17.1 warmblood giraffe. It has broken in very nicely and softened up quickly. I can feel in it - love it, love it.

ryansgirl
Apr. 10, 2009, 08:23 AM
I have a PDN that I got for a Christmas present back in 1980 - love it and it still is in great shape (and I used it a ton back in the days and rode in all kinds of weather with it - i.e. heavy rain while at shows & brutal New England winters). It is as flat as can be with no knee rolls - but I prefer that type of saddle - you can really feel the horse under you. Unfortunately doesn't really fit me or my horses anymore - hoping to pass it down to my little niece who recently started riding. I also have an Equilibrium that I bought about seven or eight years ago (can't remember exactly) but I love that one too - a little more cushy than my PDN and it has knee rolls. They do seem to be a little narrow so definitely check that when/if you do buy one. :)

mp
Apr. 10, 2009, 11:12 AM
I sold an older (probably ~12 years) Crosby XL about a year ago. Very nice workmanship and very comfy, but it didn't fit any of my horses. Whoever said they run narrow is correct. This was a MW and it sat on my narrowest horse like a top hat. The new owner loves it and it fits her TB like a glove.

GinGin74
Apr. 10, 2009, 12:13 PM
I have a NEW Crosby Centennial that I bought in Feb 2008 that is excellent, so not all new ones are crap. It was made in England, which probably has a lot to do with why it's as nice as it is. It was comfy and secure on the very first ride. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the tree is on the wide side. Now that my horsey has filled out it's perfect.

I also have a late 80's Lexington TC model Crosby that is wonderful. I bought it new and haven't had any issues with it in the last 20 years of use. It still gets used about 2x per week. The leather has held up beautifully.

Valeureux
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:14 PM
I have an older Crosby and LOVELOVELOVE it :)
not so thrilled with the new ones though.

melody1
Apr. 10, 2009, 01:18 PM
I have an older PDN that I just love, it is in pristine condition, but I am selling it because it's an inch bigger in the seat than I need. It is a very pretty and correct saddle. Granted, it HAS been extremely well taken care of, but it is still in fantastic shape none the less.