PDA

View Full Version : catch riding question

Claudius
Apr. 8, 2009, 07:36 PM
I asked a young professional to ride my horse. She agreed and told me her per ride price, which was within my budget. The trainer she rides with participated in the pre class schooling warmups. When I paid my bill to the rider, the trainer also requested compensation which more than doubled the per ride fee we had agreed on. I paid it, but am saddened because it puts this rider out of my reach. Would it be unprofessional to ask the rider if she could ride my horse without the trainers help? I train my own horse, and while I appreciated the trainers involvement, I can not afford it.

Huntrs+eq
Apr. 8, 2009, 07:46 PM
It's pretty questionable to me that the trainer asked for a coaching fee--you had a contract with the rider alone and an agreed upon price. I would think that the rider herself would pay a single coaching fee to the trainer, based on a per-day rate. Unless yours was the only horse she was riding that day?

If the young professional typically uses her more experienced coach at shows, it might be awkward to ask her to ride without. But then again, "professional" in my mind means capable of schooling and showing a horse by herself...

eventchic33
Apr. 8, 2009, 07:49 PM
"Professional" in my mind listens to how you want the horse ridden not listening to someone who has never seen the horse.

Sorry, I feel she was out of line.

pinwheel
Apr. 8, 2009, 07:57 PM
To be honest, it seems to me that it was out of line for the trainer to charge you that extra fee...

IsolaBella09
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:00 PM
I agree you paying that trainer's fee was out of line. Speak to the professional and ask if you can work something out where only she is riding/coaching the horse, not her trainer. If she is unable to do that, then move on.

watcher
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:35 PM
I wasn't clear - did she know her trainer was asking for a fee? Sounds like she and the trainer need to have a discussion, before she loses what new business she's probably trying to gain.

What if you honestly told her "I liked/loved how you rode my horse, but paying both you and your trainer is more than I can do. Otherwise, I'd be asking you to continue"...or something along those lines?

The trainer, btw, should be going through the professional. If he/she wants a fee, then the young pro should up her price per ride and pay the trainer herself, not double-bill the clients!

gottagrey
Apr. 8, 2009, 10:01 PM
If the young professional is a professional then I think they kind of bilked you. You contracted a [read 1) professional to school your horse. The Professional's trainer decided to offer up an opinion which was something you had not contracted for but were placed in the very awkward position and caught off guard. You acted graciously in paying the double fee. Unless this young professional is a sensation then I would move along and find someone else.

Giddy-up
Apr. 9, 2009, 08:35 AM
You asked the pro to ride your horse. You didn't ask for the pro to take a lesson on your horse with another trainer. If that pro wants to school with her trainer, then she needs to pay that trainer directly (which I am sure she doesn't, they just double charged you) & adjust her fees accordingly. I see no reason why you can't set the jumps in the schooling ring for the pro for your own horse. I've seen pros catch ride at shows & the horse's regular trainer or owner is setting the jumps.

I'd ask the pro. Let her know the trainer was an unexpected cost & more than you can afford so can she ride your horse without the trainer?

Jsalem
Apr. 9, 2009, 08:50 AM
My rider is frequently asked to ride horses outside of my program. I'm careful to keep that separate from what I do. That's her business, not mine, unless I'm asked to participate. I would expect the owner to tack the horse and bring it to the ring. The owner would set jumps and discuss the warmup with the rider. I would probably be casually watching, not participating in the training or warmup in any way.

If someone approaches me to "train" their horse, including using my rider, then that's a different situation. The horse would often be stabling with us and we would be "day caring" it. I would expect to communicate with the owner, asking questions about the horse's routine, program, habits, etc. I would be setting jumps for the rider, working with her to prepare the horse (i.e. getting the best jump out of the horse in the schooling ring). I'd be at ringside, probably standing with the owner and pointing things out. The owner would leave the show with some concrete information from both me and the rider. The owner would pay me for training and would pay the rider for her rides.

So I would ask the OP whether she used the services of the rider only or of both the rider and trainer. You really don't know the arrangement that the rider has with the trainer. She could be "under contract" to the trainer. Some riders can "freelance". Others operate only under the auspices of the trainer.

RockinHorse
Apr. 9, 2009, 09:04 AM
You really don't know the arrangement that the rider has with the trainer. She could be "under contract" to the trainer. .

If that is the case, the rider should be upfront that the cost of her riding the horse includes $X for her rides and $X for her trainer.

Jsalem
Apr. 9, 2009, 09:07 AM
I agree. Sounds like this situation wasn't handled well. OP needs to have a talk with the rider.

Addison
Apr. 10, 2009, 08:17 AM
That's a bit much. As someone else posted, you hired the pro to ride your horse, not take a lesson on him. If she can't get him to the ring without being "officially" coached then maybe she should not accept catch rides.

I understand pros get help from other trainers all the time and take clinics....but they don't usually charge the owner of the horse they are riding for it.