PDA

View Full Version : Best safety vest for 13 yr old?

Come Shine
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:26 AM
My son just outgrew his old Tipperary vest and I'm looking for something new. We looked at the Ride Lite vest but it doesn't seem to offer as much protection as I would like.

We mostly do trail riding right now, so I would like something that would protect him if he fell out on the trail (ie., from branches, rocks, etc).

Any suggestions?

make x it x so
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:37 AM
You may want to try posting in a different forum. I don't know how many people in the H/J world really use safety vests.

I don't use one, so I can't really help you, but kudos to you for wanting to keep your son well-protected!

Donkey
Apr. 8, 2009, 01:06 PM
In my neck of the woods the new Charles Owen vests are the ones that everyone is now buying (for eventing). They are reported to be quite comfy by my friends that wear them. I still have my old tipperary but I might upgrade later this year.

Come Shine
Apr. 8, 2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks! I'll look into the Charles Owen one.

eventmom
Apr. 8, 2009, 04:47 PM
Yep, I will second the Charles Owen. This is what my girls use and we are quite happy. They aren't cheap, but they are approved, and the Tipperary is not. Reason being, as I understand it, the panals on the tipperary are not safe. You could get poked by a branch and such through them.

joiedevie99
Apr. 8, 2009, 05:13 PM
Yep, I will second the Charles Owen. This is what my girls use and we are quite happy. They aren't cheap, but they are approved, and the Tipperary is not. Reason being, as I understand it, the panals on the tipperary are not safe. You could get poked by a branch and such through them.

Yup. The tipperary eventer has laces on the sides to adjust the fit. If the laces are adjusted anything except as tightly as possible, sticks or other objects could poke you in the unprotected portion of your sides.

maxxtrot
Apr. 8, 2009, 05:39 PM
hi, just over from eventer land. try the airowers. very nice vest, comfortable, lightweight and adjustible over the shoulders,chest, and waist. can grow a bit with him. i don;t even feel it when i have mine on.i love mine, and not too $

Kementari
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:14 PM
Just like helmets, the best vest is the one that fits properly and is approved (look for ASTM and/or BETA 3). :yes:

I loff my CO, and they do come in youth sizes. I believe the Intec does, too, but some brands don't. Go to a good tack store, and have a vest-trying-on day! :winkgrin:

Come Shine
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the tips.

I went and tried on the Charles Owen. Yikes - maybe I was doing it wrong but how do people get them on and off easily with only the side closures? I kept getting the velcro caught on my sweater and then couldn't pull it off over my head. Eek. No way I want to wrestle with that every time I ride and absolutely won't be a go with a 13 y.o. boy.

There are different versions of the Tipperary vests. The one we have has velcro side closures, not the laces. I liked his previous one, but the 'Lite' version doesn't seem to offer as much protection.

I have never heard of an airower - where might I find one of those?

Are Intecs the same as Flex Riders? Do vest 'expire' like helmets do? Would looking for something second hand be worth while?

Thanks again for all the help!

Hunter Princess
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:53 PM
Try the Airowear Outlyne! We just got some in the other day at work, and it's so flexible and soft, and it's BETA 3 Certified.

I would definitely recommend it!

Kementari
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the tips.

I went and tried on the Charles Owen. Yikes - maybe I was doing it wrong but how do people get them on and off easily with only the side closures? I kept getting the velcro caught on my sweater and then couldn't pull it off over my head. Eek. No way I want to wrestle with that every time I ride and absolutely won't be a go with a 13 y.o. boy.

There are different versions of the Tipperary vests. The one we have has velcro side closures, not the laces. I liked his previous one, but the 'Lite' version doesn't seem to offer as much protection.

I have never heard of an airower - where might I find one of those?

Are Intecs the same as Flex Riders? Do vest 'expire' like helmets do? Would looking for something second hand be worth while?

Thanks again for all the help!

The CO has velcro at the shoulders, too - it comes apart (if you so desire ;)) into two separate pieces. I usually don't bother undoing the shoulders on mine, and undo only one of the sides - I just slip it over my head (before putting the helmet on :lol:) and do up the one side....unless I'm wearing bulkier or less bulky clothes than I was the time before, in which case both sides get adjusted. ;) I don't think I've ever got the velcro caught on anything while I was putting it on/taking it off...

Yep, Intec makes the Flex Rider. I just couldn't come up with "Flex Rider" earlier. :winkgrin:

Concensus seems to be that vests don't expire quite like helmets - they are not one-fall-only - but should be replaced occasionally (not as often as helmets). Used safety equipment just seems wierd to me, but I know plenty of people who get used vests that are "late-model" (so to speak) and in fine condition - especially for kids, who will outgrow them sooner rather than later! :yes:

ETA: The Airowear Outlyne is for women (there are other, unisex Airowear models). I'm not thinking a 13 y/o boy would appreciate (or fit in) the shape... ;)

Come Shine
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:25 PM
The Airowear Outlyne is for women. I'm not thinking a 13 y/o boy would appreciate (or fit in) the shape... ;)

Umm - he better not! I am too young to be getting into that yet! ;)

maxxtrot
Apr. 14, 2009, 09:53 PM
there are a couple of the airowears that are for both sexes :) their new one just out is just for women cause it has the darts on the breast area. for us overdeveloped ladies :)