PDA

View Full Version : Life After College

TakeNote
Apr. 7, 2009, 06:38 PM
Ok so of course we have thread after thread of graduating high school seniors looking for colleges with equestrian teams, what do us college grads. do after the big day?
Seriously is there a "Grad" school for the equestrian world? I mean ANYTHING to not have to go into the real world.

Ideas?

Pirateer
Apr. 7, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ugh.
I wish.

InWhyCee Redux
Apr. 7, 2009, 06:42 PM
Ok so of course we have thread after thread of graduating high school seniors looking for colleges with equestrian teams, what do us college grads. do after the big day?
Seriously is there a "Grad" school for the equestrian world? I mean ANYTHING to not have to go into the real world.

Ideas?

You need a very rich, very old husband. :cool:

Hunter Princess
Apr. 7, 2009, 07:04 PM
I so wish I was back in college. I miss those days. I'd even rather be in my anat and phys class at 8am on Friday morning than be at work!

I'm trying to get into grad school this fall. I'm still waiting for my dream job to open up (dang you, state budget hiring freezes!)

TakeNote
Apr. 7, 2009, 07:18 PM
You need a very rich, very old husband. :cool:

HA! I wish!!! I would comment further but I'm scared of giving Alex any more ammunition. Im sure he's sitting there figuring out what sly comment he can come up with next.

lynz
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:00 PM
I wish there were even College equestrian teams here in Ontario (there is only a University circuit but unfortunately where I wanted to go in life, University wouldn't have gotten me there). As of this week I am officially done College as it is my very last week of my internship....and I wish there was something other than the "real world" out there!

Parker_Rider
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:16 PM
Grad school. Any type will do. I go to the Univ of Denver and it's a top 10 for psych and international relations, but it's not as difficult as other programs, leaving me plenty of time to ride the beasties, get a good advanced degree AND stave off reality!! ;) :lol:

dressagedevon
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:19 PM
Okay but what about after grad school, is there anything else???:lol: I still don't want to enter the real world.

theblondejumper
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:19 PM
Grad school. Any type will do. I go to the Univ of Denver and it's a top 10 for psych and international relations, but it's not as difficult as other programs, leaving me plenty of time to ride the beasties, get a good advanced degree AND stave off reality!! ;) :lol:

Cop out! :p

Beau Cheval
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:25 PM
Even though I'm still in highschool, I've got my whole life figured out. After college, I will leave the country, change my name, dye my hair so the student loans people can't find me, and become a groom or something and eat snoballs and dollar menu fries for the rest of my life. Either that or just move to the caribbean and go Jimmy Buffet. High aspirations. My academic advisor would be so freaking proud. :lol:

Pirateer
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:38 PM
High aspirations. My academic advisor would be so freaking proud. :lol:

My high school English teacher had a similar level of proudness when I told her I wanted to be a trophy wife when i grew up.

pleasedaspunch
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:22 PM
So I'm an English major graduating in the fall. I intend on applying for the internship with COTH once I'm finished. I met with my adviser about a week aog (who also happens to be the head of the English department) and we discussed what I plan on doing after I graduate. When I told her she said to me "You are aware that I ride, right?" I was like "NO!":eek:. So she was really happy to find out there was another horse person in her department and told me she would write me an excellent letter of recommendation from "one horse person to another" lol. Needless to say I was super excited!!:yes:

Windswept Stable
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:22 PM
My high school English teacher had a similar level of proudness when I told her I wanted to be a trophy wife when i grew up.

Ha Ha... thats funny!

Kementari
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:41 PM
Even though I'm still in highschool, I've got my whole life figured out. After college, I will leave the country, change my name, dye my hair so the student loans people can't find me, and become a groom or something and eat snoballs and dollar menu fries for the rest of my life. Either that or just move to the caribbean and go Jimmy Buffet. High aspirations. My academic advisor would be so freaking proud. :lol:

:lol:

This sounds like a lovely plan.

I've been out of college for many years, but not many ENOUGH to not still be paying back my student loans. Ever so often, usually on the day of the month they do the auto-withdrawal, I tell everyone that I'm moving - just as soon as I finish researching countries with no extradition treaty with the US. And no super-restrictive quarantine for the horses or the cat, of course. :winkgrin:

00Jumper
Apr. 7, 2009, 09:52 PM
;) You take a year off and go back for a second degree. :lol:

I swear the only reason the 'rents are cool with it is because my second degree will be more useful and actually get me a solid real life job, but still, it's a nice way to put off the real world for 2.5 years. :lol:

infiniti898
Apr. 7, 2009, 10:09 PM
Take a year off, do this: http://www.justworldinternational.org/get.cfm and then go back to graduate school.

Seriously. You'd be taking a much needed break from school, donating time to a good cause that has ties to the equestrian community (which helps with networking, btw) and then you would have an advanced degree which would allow you to be able to afford this sport long term!

Hmmmm....maybe I should follow my own advice.

FarnleyGarnet
Apr. 7, 2009, 10:22 PM
I'm 5 years out of college and wish I could go back all the time.

I live vicariously through my younger friends who are still in school with mom and dad footing the bill for the horses and my older friends who have seniority at their jobs and can head off to the horse shows every weekend.

Can you put off finding the "real" job for a year and live at home and horse show? The job market isn't awesome in a lot of the country right now anyway, right? If you can justify it and can afford it why not? :)

But on a more serious note, what are you majoring in and what sort of career are you interested in? Is there an area of the country you know you want to live in?

TBlitz
Apr. 7, 2009, 10:44 PM
I'm sorta in this boat right now since I graduate in December (I'm on the 3.5 year plan). My current plan is to run off and do a working student position somewhere in the world, go to WEG 2010 and then figure out what I can do with my life. I have an ideal path that I'd like to follow, but that totally depends on finding the right opening at the right time.

Five of my (seven :D) roommates are graduating this semester and only ONE of them has found a job, but not for the lack of trying. With the rate of hiring college grads expected to go down 42% and (as I read in the news this weekend) grad schools overflowing and getting super competitive with admissions, I'm scared sh*tless about trying to find the kind or employment I want or trying to get into a grad school. I'm not sure what I'd want to go to grad school for, but if I ever decide on a degree plan I may not be able to get into a school. If there's no economy, there sure as heck isn't going to be any demand for people in horsey careers.

Tha Ridge
Apr. 7, 2009, 11:30 PM
The joke at my school is that most of the women go there just to get their Mrs. degree, which, well, when you have a hobby as expensive as ours isn't a bad idea. :yes:

But anyway... for me the plan is something along the lines of Parker_Rider's. More school in order the stave off reality AND wait out the poor job market.

Parker_Rider
Apr. 7, 2009, 11:55 PM
Cop out! :p

Heck yes!!! I'm not denyin' it! :) I'm unemployable... I've spent all my time riding horses and not working!! (at least, that's what my career counselor implied today when going over my resume for the 80000th time... she was very nice about it though! :lol:)

Yeah... I had those aspirations too... and then discovered the love of my life, no-good, useless, Berkeley PhD program bound BF wants to be a history professor and refuses to even consider writing a NYT bestseller to support my trophy wife dreams and horse habit... he tells me I should love him for him and not the money he could make, psh, whatever that means!!! I sure know how to pick 'em... :lol: (Please note the "tongue in cheek"ness of that... :D)

Tini Sea Soldier
Apr. 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
I had a bunch of friends that took some time off from reality and decided to groom on the A circuit after college. They seemed to love those times and then joined the rest of us in corporate America years later when they burnt out from being on the road.

Pirateer
Apr. 8, 2009, 04:50 AM
discovered the love of my life, no-good, useless, Berkeley PhD program bound BF wants to be a history professor and refuses to even consider writing a NYT bestseller to support my trophy wife dreams and horse habit.

Write the NYT besteller yourself, center it around the horse shows and write the expense of a winter in Wellington off as "research."

Erm. I mean, don't copy my plan!

_downpour_
Apr. 8, 2009, 04:57 AM
I had a bunch of friends that took some time off from reality and decided to groom on the A circuit after college. They seemed to love those times and then joined the rest of us in corporate America years later when they burnt out from being on the road.

that actually sounds like a really good idea! im seriously considering it....

Pirateer
Apr. 8, 2009, 05:04 AM
that actually sounds like a really good idea! im seriously considering it....

"Fun idea" but unless mommy and daddy are still paying the bills its a bad idea....especially if you have student loans. Those usually kick in 6 months after graduation. Insurance coverage may cease if you graduate, etc

make x it x so
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:23 AM
My plan: after my undergrad degree, I hope to go to vet school to become an equine vet, where I will meet a LOVELY Mr. Small Animal Vet (I know that's where the money is in the veterinary business) or I'd settle for a Mr. Equine Vet, and then we get married, open a practice together, and I only work 3 days a week while he works full time.

Then we buy BIGGG horse property and lotsa little horseys for me to have as "projects" that will never actually be sold. Then I have kids and we buy them lots of ponies and I will be the best horseshow mom ever. The End.

chukkerchild
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:49 AM
Ugh. I don't even know what I want to do as a career yet. I'm pretty scared by that. I would like a job that's 9 to 5 and steady... but good luck finding that these days. I'm doing a degree in Physics but I don't even want to do anything with Physics! I think I'd prefer a finance or economics job... somehow I don't think there's many options for those currently. And I'm taking a long time to get my degree from my Dad's advice, cause he says that people who graduate next year will probably have a hard time getting a job and it's better to wait until the economy stabilizes a bit.

caradino
Apr. 8, 2009, 10:00 AM
oh this is SO my thread!

been out of college a year and not liking the real world so much! but thankfully i am still living at home while i save up and get on my feet a bit. i have been reduced to once-a-week lessons because i am too poor to have my own pony (the non-profit sector does NOT pay well, let me tell you!). it's just barely keeping my skills at an acceptable level. but i do kind of enjoy my job some days, and spend the time i can't afford to spend riding volunteering with the youth at my church, doing various and sundry bible studies, and hanging out with my computer geek/farmer boyfriend who makes less than i do and cannot currently support my habits.

but SOME DAY we will have a little farm and it will house his western horsey and my hunter horsey and perhaps a little mini horsey or a minidonk or something else cute. and PONIES when i have chill'uns.

that's the long-term plan. for now i'm just trying to enjoy the stage of life i'm in and save some money for a house and a horse. :)

InWhyCee Redux
Apr. 8, 2009, 10:42 AM

According to "Real Housewives," it's never too late... and then you could ride every day! ;)

Tini Sea Soldier
Apr. 8, 2009, 10:55 AM
"Fun idea" but unless mommy and daddy are still paying the bills its a bad idea....especially if you have student loans. Those usually kick in 6 months after graduation. Insurance coverage may cease if you graduate, etc

Hmmm... insurance is an issue (factor in about $300/month out of pocket for that one... if you're under 23, you might be able to squeeze out another year or 2 on the 'rents plan).

However, if I recall, friends got all housing, travel, and food expenses covered... plus like $550-600 a week in pay. I think they may have also made about $100-200 a week in tips from clients. SOOOOOOO... considering they were making about $650-800 a week total... it was a pretty good deal. Even if they had to shell out for insurance, it's not a bad gig to make about $2000 a month after insurance costs and incidentals. Not saying it's the most profitable, but if you need a transitional break, it's worth investigating.

Parker_Rider
Apr. 8, 2009, 11:49 AM
Write the NYT besteller yourself, center it around the horse shows and write the expense of a winter in Wellington off as "research."

Erm. I mean, don't copy my plan!

LOL, yeah, that's what everyone tells me (to write it myself) but then I don't get to be a trophy wife! Oh well, guess I'll have to eventually get a job myself and be independent so I can buy all the horses and dogs I want... oh damn. :)
Life after college sucks, though.

superpony123
Apr. 8, 2009, 12:30 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

..well, hey, if it gets you a barn-full of horses ;):lol::lol:

damecheval
Apr. 8, 2009, 12:39 PM
You guys are going at this from the completely wrong direction. :lol: Just find a fun career! Own a tack store, or be a show photographer. Trust me, I'm not even in college yet and I've thought of pretty much every career to do with horses. Plus, if you don't have a bussiness degree and decide to own a tack store, then get to go back to college and get one. ;)

fordtraktor
Apr. 8, 2009, 12:56 PM
You guys are going at this from the completely wrong direction. :lol: Just find a fun career! Own a tack store, or be a show photographer. Trust me, I'm not even in college yet and I've thought of pretty much every career to do with horses. Plus, if you don't have a bussiness degree and decide to own a tack store, then get to go back to college and get one. ;)

Good luck with that. "Fun" and "pays the bills" are often mutually exclusive. Owning a tack store requires extensive start-up costs and is expensive to maintain. It requires a lot of money that unless you are independently wealthy, you will have to make doing something else first.

Horses are an extremely expensive hobby. If you want to afford horses, take that into consideration when you make your career choice.

damecheval
Apr. 8, 2009, 01:01 PM
Good luck with that. "Fun" and "pays the bills" are often mutually exclusive. Owning a tack store requires extensive start-up costs and is expensive to maintain. It requires a lot of money that unless you are independently wealthy, you will have to make doing something else first.

Horses are an extremely expensive hobby. If you want to afford horses, take that into consideration when you make your career choice.

True, but I dream...

equest
Apr. 8, 2009, 01:11 PM
Good luck with that. "Fun" and "pays the bills" are often mutually exclusive.

Story of my life. What I should have done, rather than law school, was develop the next teen hit book series to be optioned for the movie/TV rights a la "Twilight" or "Gossip Girl". :) I'm sure these authors can probably live pretty comfortably now!

dghunter
Apr. 8, 2009, 01:17 PM
Story of my life. What I should have done, rather than law school, was develop the next teen hit book series to be optioned for the movie/TV rights a la "Twilight" or "Gossip Girl". :) I'm sure these authors can probably live pretty comfortably now!

Two words: Harry Potter :lol: I totally came up with the idea first! She just stole it from me ;) haha jk. Anyways I'm majoring in English Ed so my goal is to teach at a school with a riding program. Perhaps I could get a discount on board :lol:

Jealoushe
Apr. 8, 2009, 02:54 PM
Okay but what about after grad school, is there anything else???:lol: I still don't want to enter the real world.

Take a year or two off working somewhere else in the world! That's what I did, check out yard and groom.

LearnToFly
Apr. 8, 2009, 06:51 PM
BOY am I in the same boat. My major (Advertising) was voted the #2 least marketable major by MSN. UGH. It's true too... Only a handful of our grads this semester have found jobs. I just keep trying to tell myself that a 10% unemployment rate means a 90% employment rate and that surely there is a job SOMEWHERE. Plus, by the time I graduate in a year there will hopefully be a better economy that wants entry-level people.

Ben and Me
Apr. 8, 2009, 07:17 PM
My plan: after my undergrad degree, I hope to go to vet school to become an equine vet, where I will meet a LOVELY Mr. Small Animal Vet (I know that's where the money is in the veterinary business) or I'd settle for a Mr. Equine Vet, and then we get married, open a practice together, and I only work 3 days a week while he works full time.

Then we buy BIGGG horse property and lotsa little horseys for me to have as "projects" that will never actually be sold. Then I have kids and we buy them lots of ponies and I will be the best horseshow mom ever. The End.

I think your fantasy begins with the idea of finding a male in veterinary school (much less an available male!)...and continues on with the idea that there is money to be made in the veterinary business at all... ;)

lynz
Apr. 8, 2009, 08:08 PM
BOY am I in the same boat. My major (Advertising) was voted the #2 least marketable major by MSN. UGH. It's true too... Only a handful of our grads this semester have found jobs. I just keep trying to tell myself that a 10% unemployment rate means a 90% employment rate and that surely there is a job SOMEWHERE. Plus, by the time I graduate in a year there will hopefully be a better economy that wants entry-level people.

I took advertising in college (3 year course) and have just landed an actual job in media buying. I've been interning for the past 7 weeks (tomorrow is my last day of working for free!) but on Monday was offered a job and today got my package and signed all the papers. Honestly, there are a TON of jobs in advertising - MANY more than you would/could ever dream of but here's a MAJOR hint: do NOT go creative......hardly any jobs and hardly any money. Go accounts or media side if you want a job/money. I went media side - been doing my internship as a media buying assistant for television but will begin my job in radio because of limited numbers of positions open for television media buying assistants (same amount of money, plus I think it would make me a bit more valuable with 7 weeks in television and now trying my hand at radio).

The unfortunate side to advertising?? Most companies are only located in major cities so you will most likely have to commute to/from work if you live in a suburb/the country.

Accounts/creative (art director, copywriter, etc.)/media (buying, planning)/sales rep (for tv/radio/magazine,etc.) are all directly related to advertising. There are MANY other jobs that are related to advertising but sort of in a round-about way.

Windswept Stable
Apr. 8, 2009, 10:15 PM

What was the #1 least marketable major?

mestel
Apr. 8, 2009, 10:33 PM

I'm an ad design major graduating this year. I'm looking for a job as a copywriter. It's a little scary! Lynz is right: an internship seems to be the way to get around "we don't need any entry level jobs" agencies may have. internship first and make them realize they can't live without you after you are done working for free :lol:

Is it awful too that I don't want to get a job until the summer is over? I need one last summer of freedom and showing! It's so sad!

LulaBell
Apr. 8, 2009, 11:25 PM
I graduated last May from College of Charleston (I need to post on that other thread, I rode there) with a BS in Communication Studies and a minor in Health. I've spent the last 10 months of my life working in a nice restaurant as well as out at the barn, usually about 50 hours a week.

However, that all came to a halt last week as I am now spending just a few short weeks at my parents' house before I leave the country for the Peace Corps. I'm moving to Guatemala until June 2011, so I'll be back when my friends are getting done with grad school! I'll worry about the real world after that :)

lynz
Apr. 12, 2009, 09:22 AM
My internship was mandatory for my course. However, because it was an internship, it was not mandatory for companies to pay - I ended up with a little bonus for working for "free" the last couple of months in which paid for my transportation.

Most companies will tend to get rid of the upper level execs because of their high wages and meanwhile hire on the lower level. There was a company a couple of months ago that let go of about 100 people, meanwhile there was another company looking to hire 52 people! The ad industry in itself changes pretty much on an hourly basis so don't close your doors to it yet.....there are lots of opportunities if you are sometime patient enough and have enough ambition.

Horselove
Apr. 12, 2009, 02:34 PM
From someone who has been in the corporate world for almost 30 years now..........
Unfortunately, the reality is this. You will have to choose and then be content with the direction you choose. Most careers that are worth it financially require long hours and your committment. Most marriages ( if you so choose) require long hours and committment.
So, for those of you that spent your life at the barn and riding those days may be behind you until you can achieve sufficient financial independence to go back to it. However, it doesn't mean your riding days are over..........it just means it has to change. So, love the place you are in your life at this moment, figure out how you can at least stay somewhat connected to the horse world but understand your Jr days are behind you and something else is waiting for you to take its place.

actcasual
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:08 PM
What was the #1 least marketable major?

Pretty sure -- print journalism.

make x it x so
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:29 PM
I think your fantasy begins with the idea of finding a male in veterinary school (much less an available male!)...and continues on with the idea that there is money to be made in the veterinary business at all... ;)

Well so far 2 female equine vets I know BOTH met their veterinarian hubbies in vet school, so I'm hoping I can be lucky like them. However, my plans are very flexible.

Penthilisea
Apr. 12, 2009, 08:49 PM
Teach. I have my BA in lit, MA in media and about 1/3 of a PhD in communication. I'm looking at a job as a high school english teacher with the potential to move to teaching college lit if I ever get the phd done.
The salary and benefits can't be beat. Two old horses who don't mind being ridden only once or twice a week.
A SO who makes his own hours and thus can do the annoying stuff like vet appointments during the day.

goodmorning
Apr. 12, 2009, 11:25 PM
I went back to school this year. I'm working on getting a MA in nursing...I yearn for the cushy 3-4 day work week and decent salary (at least in my field). I was thinking medical school, maybe someday, but to be honest, I can make almost-doctor $$ in my field and have a family -- something that is important.

Nessie
Apr. 13, 2009, 01:42 AM
hm. How marketable do you think my major, International Relations, is? :no:

InWhyCee Redux
Apr. 13, 2009, 10:37 AM
Pretty sure -- print journalism.

As a print journalist, I am NOT at all surprised.

actcasual
Apr. 13, 2009, 11:33 AM
As a print journalist, I am NOT at all surprised.

Thinking I might officially be former -- laid off last week. And I don't know that I see any future in it. When college kids asked us for advice on getting into the business, our standing joke was, "Don't." But it's really only funny because it's true.
Being in the horse business is looking a lot more sensible than it did even a few years ago.

Tini Sea Soldier
Apr. 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
Thinking I might officially be former -- laid off last week. And I don't know that I see any future in it. When college kids asked us for advice on getting into the business, our standing joke was, "Don't." But it's really only funny because it's true.
Being in the horse business is looking a lot more sensible than it did even a few years ago.

HAHA.. the same goes for whoever was talking about media. I am on the sales end... and although there WERE $$$ to be made... it's not happening these days... and most of us are just happy to still be gainfully employed. I was a junior media buyer starting out... we made barely sustainable incomes, all lived at home or with 328043280 roommates, and didn't get out of work til 9 or 1030 during 4th Quarter of each year.
Being a survivor of the first media crash after 9/11... I can tell you that it's 10x worse this round...and it's not over yet.
Now.. being on the other side and calling on the media buyers, planners, etc... it's getting almost sad as to how many "goodbye emails" or voicemails that have been disconnected... from buyers, planners, ad directors, etc. whose companies practically laying off the whole department or merging depts. My contact list has been slashed in half bc most of them no longer have jobs.

I graduated with a degree in marketing... I went directly into advertising... first on the agency side... now on the sales side. You may find some entry-level sales jobs here and there... but be prepared for a good amount of hustling...and, in this economy, you're better off being a waitress or bartender for now, than taking a strictly commission-based job. The more frustated we become, the more we head to the bar!