PDA

View Full Version : Richard Castelow saddles Anyone???

sweetpea
Apr. 7, 2009, 01:17 PM
Does anyone have these?? What do you think of them.

Why did you choose his saddles?? Was it for your horses fit or liked it better for you?

What model do you have???

Thanks SOOOOO much

RW06
Apr. 7, 2009, 01:28 PM

Why did you choose his saddles?? Was it for your horses fit or liked it better for you?

Thanks SOOOOO much

I have one! I was fed up with my Butet not fitting horses, so I went and bought a used Richard Castelow. My horse needs a wide tree but has funny shoulders and I have been thrilled with the way it fits him. I also love riding in it... mine has a super flat seat and I find it very balanced. The quality is also wonderful!

sweetpea
Apr. 7, 2009, 01:59 PM
Are they like a County , CWD etc.

Are they popular used

RW06
Apr. 7, 2009, 02:06 PM
Are they like a County , CWD etc.

Are they popular used

I find mine to be more similar to a County than a CWD, Antares, or Devoucoux. There's not a whole lot of extra smushy stuffing, which is the way I prefer my saddles. As far as they are used... I guess they are popular? I know they are custom so a lot of people choose to just get them new.

CBoylen
Apr. 7, 2009, 05:21 PM
I don't own one, but I've ridden in a few and liked them very much. They're great quality, comfortable, and fit a lot of horses. The models I rode in though were all built on Tommy Serio's specs, and I think he has them differ a bit from the usual models. Richard would be able to tell you what the specifics are.

sweetpea
Apr. 7, 2009, 06:54 PM
I love my county but my rep is so far away , I can't afford to have it readjusted 2 times a year with the gas trip too.

Lucassb
Apr. 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
I don't own one either, but have ridden in a few and thought they were really quite nice. They aren't pancake-hard but they seem to offer a close feel to the horse and they are not overly padded (or at least the ones I rode in were not.) You don't see a ton of them but I suspect that may have more to do with distribution arrangements (ie, not readily available in tack shops) than with anything to do with the saddles themselves.

XenophonKnows
Apr. 8, 2009, 09:54 AM
A friend of mine is just working out business plan now so she can Rep for Castelow.

His saddles are a bit on the 'old fashioned' side. He does not go for foam, air, gel, etc. funky stuff in the panels, seat, etc. Wool flocked. Custom made. If you want more info PM me and I can put you in touch with his new Rep (a very knowledgeable horsewoman in her own right !)

Horseshowaddict
Apr. 8, 2009, 12:38 PM
We have two at our place. They fit the horse's great, and are quite comfortable to ride in. Both are custom though, I didnt know he had "stock" models. Im guessing they would be more like a County than the french saddles, but Im not sure.

sweetpea
Apr. 8, 2009, 03:37 PM
If so how have they held up with the wool and the leather???? Also do you remember what models yours are??

miriam4p
Apr. 8, 2009, 04:08 PM
The ones modeled on Tommy Serio's specs are the flat jumper models.

mp
Apr. 8, 2009, 05:18 PM

I trialed a used one from Trumbull Mtn. that didn't fit my horse. But I was so impressed with the workmanship and materials, I ended up having him make one.

My horse is very wide with a flat back. I tried at least 20 saddles and none of them worked -- they all slipped/rocked/pinched/etc. I would have spent at least as much time and $$$ fooling around with pads and shims and fitters as it cost to have Castelow just make one to order. And I wouldn't be as happy.

It's built on a dressage tree with cc flaps and short billets, just like the one I trialed (it was made for eventer). It wouldn't work for a jumper, but I do everything in it -- flat classes, dressage, even gymkanas and overnight trail rides. It fits me. Fits the horse and does. not. slip. (A very novel thing on my "whisky barrel on legs" as Mr. Castelow deemed my horse.)

I've had this saddle for 5 years and ride in it every day. As I said, the workmanship and materials are absolutely top quality. And it was delivered on time, as promised, even though Hurricane Rita blew the back off his house. He's a pro.

3rsatsmf
Oct. 14, 2010, 08:49 AM
Has anyone independently verified his claim to have held a Royal Warrant for HM the Queen? (i.e., Master Saddler for Queen Elizabeth II)

alliekat
Oct. 14, 2010, 09:30 AM
I have his dressage saddle and I love it. It has fit a wide variety of horses and is super comfy. I use it to start all my babies and young horses. The quality is wonderful and workmanship is superior. I am thrilled and when I am in the market for a new jumping saddle that is where I would go. Love my saddle :)

M. O'Connor
Oct. 14, 2010, 09:35 AM
Has anyone independently verified his claim to have held a Royal Warrant for HM the Queen? (i.e., Master Saddler for Queen Elizabeth II)

That "claim" is 100% TRUE!

It is a very well-deserved and coveted distinction.

sweetpea
Oct. 14, 2010, 05:57 PM

Very interesting question---
Having two saddles now of his after trying 17 I almost wanted to reply dah look at his work!! But I understand that is a big claim -- He is SUCH a craftsman -- And his charm is for free-

Tha Ridge
Oct. 14, 2010, 07:56 PM

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/richard-castelow-creates-saddles-fit-queen

STA
Oct. 14, 2010, 08:14 PM
I have one in my shop, it is beautiful. In my opinion it is similar to a Devocoux. Workmanship is excellent. I am not sure of the name of the style, but I would ride a hunter, jumper, or equitation horse in it any day.

horsechick
Oct. 14, 2010, 08:23 PM
I got my second one from him in June after sending him an Equimeasure to go by. Well, from the first second it was an awful fit. I sent it back once with pictures, but after adjustments it still slipped quite a bit. I made plans to take my horse to Kentucky so he could see him (8 hr trip for me), but at the last minute, Richard told me that it wouldn't work out.

BUT, the good news is he personally came to my farm yesterday to watch me ride my horse and took notes as to the adjustments needed. After a show next week, I'll send it back to him and hope this time does the trick.

The first one he made for me was perfection from day one, and I'm just grateful at this point he's going to such lengths to make this new one right as well.

BAC
Oct. 14, 2010, 10:18 PM

Its more than a claim it is the truth. And COTH did a big article about him not too long ago, maybe last year? It gave lots of details about his life in the UK as saddler to the Queen, etc.